Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 7/14/2014 3:03:52 AM EDT
I've got a Sendra in transfer. I've seen the Shrike going for about $3500 but that was with a semi-auto bolt. Where do you get one with a FA bolt?
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 7:40:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Any of the retailers for ARES can get you one. Ruben sells then, Denny's was a site dealer here, he used to sell them. There are lots of dealers out there that can get you one. Auto weapons stocks them. That's three off the top of my head.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 11:19:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 4:49:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Buy Direct
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 6:19:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Buy Direct
View Quote

That too. I'd rather not deal with ARES. They are the worst to deal with. I'm not sure what the price difference is, if there is any from buying from a retailer. But lots of other people I'd like to,give my money then ARES.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 6:49:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Ruben has/sells them for $750.00
View Quote

That's cheap
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 7:51:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That too. I'd rather not deal with ARES. They are the worst to deal with. I'm not sure what the price difference is, if there is any from buying from a retailer. But lots of other people I'd like to,give my money then ARES.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Buy Direct

I bought my upper from Ruben...I then started inquiring about parts and a 12.5" barrel from him, he was going to charge me $100 bucks more for the barrel then ares direct, I had to show my stamp that was the only down side....also same day shipping...
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 9:50:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the info all.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 10:40:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Placed an NFA ad in the EE.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 8:31:40 AM EDT
[#9]
When buying one new, can you get one with a full auto bolt for no additional cost?  Surprised it isn't included as the only bolt option.

I don't own a shrike (or mcr, whatever they are called now) just yet, but I plan to by one eventually.  My lower is still pending transfer.  Just reading all I can and trying to make sure I get the right thing and am happy with it.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:51:14 PM EDT
[#10]
When I was looking for one I found this dealer selling them with auto carriers http://downrangearmory.com/product-category/accessories/ar15m4-2/barreled-upper-assemblies/ares-defense-barreled-upper-assemblies/
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:29:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
When I was looking for one I found this dealer selling them with auto carriers http://downrangearmory.com/product-category/accessories/ar15m4-2/barreled-upper-assemblies/ares-defense-barreled-upper-assemblies/
View Quote

That looks like the best  deal I've seen yet. Thanks for the link. Now I just need 4k.... Might be a little while.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:17:23 PM EDT
[#12]
are these things realible  ?
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:31:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 9:15:41 AM EDT
[#14]
I had the chance to look at a recently made MCR to compare with my contract Shrike.

One weakness I see in mine is the rear lug has very little metal supporting it compared to an AR upper.

It will only take a small hit to break it off.

The new model has the rear channel drilled offset upwards a bit and the metal support is much improved, more like a standard upper.

This is comparison of my Old Shrike rear lug with a standard AR upper lug. The new MCR upper has about the same metal as the AR upper now.

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 2:22:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I had the chance to look at a recently made MCR to compare with my contract Shrike.

One weakness I see in mine is the rear lug has very little metal supporting it compared to an AR upper.

It will only take a small hit to break it off.

The new model has the rear channel drilled offset upwards a bit and the metal support is much improved, more like a standard upper.

This is comparison of my Old Shrike rear lug with a standard AR upper lug. The new MCR upper has about the same metal as the AR upper now.

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa219/faldoc/Ares%20Shrike/IMG_3714.jpg
View Quote

While I have not had an issue with my lug, that design point as always been a concern of mine.

Seems like Ares is slowly learning lessons from the field by strengthen the rear lug web and moving to a steel feed tray with an altered geometry to keep rounds from hitting the aluminum feed ramp.

Overall mine has been pretty reliable, although I have made some changes/modification to deal with the high ROF and bolt bounce issues.  

Is it as reliable as my M60E4....no its not.  Then again my M60 has virtually never had a failure with shooting new military spec Lake City rounds.   But for what is essentially a consumer toy for the class 3 collector market the Shrike is more than fine in the reliability department.
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top