Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2014 9:31:36 AM EDT
I have an old style gray lower that I want to match modern uppers.  From what I understand, Type III hardcoat anodizing is the proper finish to match.  

What risk is there in doing this?  Anyone  have personal experience with US Anodizing or recommend someone else who does quality work?
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 9:43:39 AM EDT
[#1]
The only risk is the shipping of the lower and the potentially decreased value from refinishing (that is especially true for factory colts). US anodizing is good to go.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 10:06:14 AM EDT
[#2]
its a colt sp1.   appears to be original finish.  I figure I'm going to keep it forever and I hate the mis-matched finish compared to upper.  

Maybe I should duracoat an upper in colt gray to match the lower.  That would match AND not touch the original.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 10:28:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
its a colt sp1.   appears to be original finish.  I figure I'm going to keep it forever and I hate the mis-matched finish compared to upper.  

Maybe I should duracoat an upper in colt gray to match the lower.  That would match AND not touch the original.
View Quote

Sell it in the EE, one of the Retro guys would jump on it, use the cash to buy a new lower.

A1 profile lowers are a bit hard to come by these days, somebody will more than appreciate it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 10:53:24 AM EDT
[#4]
no, i don't have an sp1 upper.  i only have an sp1 lower with modern upper that doesn't match.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 11:15:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Sell it in the EE, one of the Retro guys would jump on it, use the cash to buy a new lower.

A1 profile lowers are a bit hard to come by these days, somebody will more than appreciate it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd be guessing it's a full auto conversion done on a SP1. In that case there is no historical value to the lower, I'd say go ahead and get it refinished OP.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 11:23:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'd be guessing it's a full auto conversion done on a SP1. In that case there is no historical value to the lower, I'd say go ahead and get it refinished OP.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I clicked active topics, didn't see where I was posting.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 12:08:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Refinish it. Whil it may be a colt typically only the m16a1and m16a2 carry the collectors premiums. Colt sp1 and other conversions are in the same category with non-colt m16 as far as quality, collectibility and price. If you can find someone within a drying distance I would recommend that as the last thing u want to have happen is loose it in the mail. If you do have to mail it read up on the proper way making sure its registered mail that is filling insured for the full value of the rifle.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 12:27:12 PM EDT
[#8]
yes, it is a converted sp1.  Since its been converted its lost its SP1 collectible status but gained full auto status.  Can't imagine it would hurt or help value either way.  

Since the lower is in excellent condition and the original gray finish isn't damaged, and its only flaw is the color, is there a Duracoat style finish that will match modern uppers?  I can do that myself, save a few $$, and not risk the loss in the mail.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 12:52:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
yes, it is a converted sp1.  Since its been converted its lost its SP1 collectible status but gained full auto status.  Can't imagine it would hurt or help value either way.  

Since the lower is in excellent condition and the original gray finish isn't damaged, and its only flaw is the color, is there a Duracoat style finish that will match modern uppers?  I can do that myself, save a few $$, and not risk the loss in the mail.
View Quote

Colt Gray Duracoat
Probably available cheaper elsewhere, but it exists.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 7:14:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes there should be dura coat or cerakote colors to match black anodized color. To be sure it matches you could paint the upper as well.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 3:09:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Colt Gray Duracoat
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Colt Gray Duracoat

Sandstrom 9 is the correct color.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 8:22:02 AM EDT
[#12]
I'd paint the uppers. Folks have lost their valuable Class 3 stuff in transit. Even if it's fully insured and you get reimbursed for the loss, that's a year of hassle. Maybe 2. For a color match?
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 4:42:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll buy it or trade you a new modern lower.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 9:20:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a converted SP1 to full auto. So it's worth $12-$14k. It's not just a $1200 semi SP1.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:00:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Victor at US Anodizing refinished mine in the original Colt grey, they did a great job and didn't overwork anything. Looks beautiful even though minor dents and dings were left intact. (I wouldn't want them messing with anything other than the  finish and that's what they do)
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top