Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2011 1:42:27 PM EDT
Hey folks, I am looking to purchase my first M-16 (second F/A after a M10/45).  I am trying to stay around 10-12k, which I know is easier said than done currently.  I found a Olympic Arms M-16 that a fella said his dad converted years ago.  He doesn't know much about it, but it only has two positions for the safety selector (labeled Safe-Fire, but it is Safe-Auto).  I tried to search for this info, but didn't have any luck.

Is 12k a reasonable price for one of these at this point?
Can I make it Safe-Semi-Auto?
Is there anything I need to look out for on converted M-16 as opposed to factory guns?

I figure I wouldn't really mind the full auto only, as that is why I would be using that receiver.  I have a handful of AR's, set up to my preference, that I can use for semi auto/precision shooting.  Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me!
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 1:49:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds fishy that his dad converted the weapon and it only has a 2 position selector switch. Converted guns can be fine, however I would prefer it was done by a gunsmith that was well known.
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 2:04:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Sounds fishy that his dad converted the weapon and it only has a 2 position selector switch. Converted guns can be fine, however I would prefer it was done by a gunsmith that was well known.

I saw pictures, and it has been converted.  How well, I don't know.  If I do decide to proceed he has agreed with meeting for me to give it a test run.  I suppose I should also bring it by a competent 'smith that is familiar with M-16s as well.
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 2:39:36 PM EDT
[#3]
When talking with the seller, did they even mention the NFA prcoess, talk about Form 1 or Form 4 etc..???  That is one way to find out if something smells fishy.
Before even touching the weapon ask them to bring the registration form, aka Form 1 or Form 4, if they act clueless

Now if it only goes safe to fire, and it was converted legally, it might be a Registered Lightning Link(RLL), and I dout it will be a Registered Drop In Auto Sear(RDIAS).

If it is milled and Drilled correctly conversions are okay, if they are done right.  Although a Conversion by an indvidual like that on a non colt lower would run more around $8-9K.

Basically you need more info before even think about buying it.

Link Posted: 8/22/2011 2:46:18 PM EDT
[#4]
It is legal, and he knows the NFA rules.  It has a sear pin and the hole drilled in the receiver, so that is not a DIAS, correct?  He made it sound like it was a RR, but I am not familiar with LL.  If these would be valued around 8-9K then that is all I need to know, as I wouldn't buy it.  I know the M-16's are at the high end of the price range they have been swinging through, so if he wants more than the current value I am out of this deal.
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 2:49:41 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

It is legal, and he knows the NFA rules.  It has a sear pin and the hole drilled in the receiver, so that is not a DIAS, correct?  He made it sound like it was a RR, but I am not familiar with LL.  If these would be valued around 8-9K then that is all I need to know, as I wouldn't buy it.  I know the M-16's are at the high end of the price range they have been swinging through, so if he wants more than the current value I am out of this deal.

Something is wrong. No way it should be Safe/Auto if it has a sear pin.

Can't put a value on it as it is unknown what it is.

Link Posted: 8/22/2011 3:11:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Strange...I am going to have to have a 'smith (third party) check it out before I even make a drive to test fire it.  Thanks for the info guys, I am glad I asked!
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 5:35:57 PM EDT
[#7]

It could be Safe/Auto/Auto with a modified selector, as is done to comply with Connecticut rules ("selective fire" is illegal but FA is legal).
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 6:50:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

It might have been converted for CT or something of the like. Not sure why though, if the guy lives in TX, unless he moved down there. I'd want to know more info about it, and see a copy of the paper work. I know people have said the price would be $8-$9k, but I'd say that it would run closer to $10k at this point, as long as runs well, and doesn't have any smithing issues.
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 7:08:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Would you be able to post pics up of the receiver?  That would clear up a lot of questions.
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 8:02:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Here's the best I have of the FCG:
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 8:36:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

It might have been converted for CT or something of the like. Not sure why though, if the guy lives in TX, unless he moved down there. I'd want to know more info about it, and see a copy of the paper work. I know people have said the price would be $8-$9k, but I'd say that it would run closer to $10k at this point, as long as runs well, and doesn't have any smithing issues.

Kind of what I was thinking, don't understand why CT requires MG's to be full-auto only, but their law is the only reason I could think of for someone to build an M16 like that. Don't understand why they think select-fire is more dangerous than FA only, makes no sense to me!

Link Posted: 8/23/2011 6:31:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 1:12:26 PM EDT
[#13]
It looks like it was converted ok. You can get select fire(safe, semi, auto) by replacing the AR-15 selector switch with an M-16 selector and maybe an M-16 trigger and disconector. The only thing is the top of the receiver looks bare, like it might have been machined a little. I would see if you can bring another upper with M-16 bolt carrier and slap it on there and see if it works fine in auto. If you buy it I would strip the lower and refinish it, I don't like metal to be bare.
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 1:27:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 9:40:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Interesting, never knew the story behind the CT law, thanks for dropping that knowledge!
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top