Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2017 1:43:17 PM EDT
I bought an S&W76 this past summer and it finally arrived at my SOT the other day, so this was my first time handling and shooting it. Not my first time shooting an S&W76, but it's definitely a lot more fun when it's your own S&W76. It ran perfectly with not a single malfunction through all 250rds. I love the way these guns shoot, they're so smooth and pleasant to run mags through (100lb trigger notwithstanding.) I think I even enjoy shooting it more than my M11/9 with all the Lage goodies.

Link Posted: 2/17/2017 3:28:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Very cool man!  
When you get it home you have to watch the omega man while holding it.

Your comment proves what I've said to myself and others have said.  Just because the macs have versatility, does not make them the "best" cheap subguns.  Like you, I enjoy my Sten more than my laged Mac.  
But, if you only have the laged Mac, of course it's the best Subgun.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 3:35:23 PM EDT
[#2]
awesome,

I need more of those 36rd clips
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 4:22:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Your comment proves what I've said to myself and others have said.  Just because the macs have versatility, does not make them the "best" cheap subguns.  Like you, I enjoy my Sten more than my laged Mac.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Agreed. The M11 was perfect as my first subgun and during the wait I got together all the tacticool shit. But after having owned that for a few years and trying an S&W76 I wanted something different in 9mm

Quoted:
awesome,

I need more of those 36rd clips

Same here, I only have those four and plan to pick some up in the meantime
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 5:04:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Agreed. The M11 was perfect as my first subgun and during the wait I got together all the tacticool shit. But after having owned that for a few years and trying an S&W76 I wanted something different in 9mm

http://i1349.photobucket.com/albums/p757/Marcus-99/Firearms/20150802_102406_zpsrfa8nggx.jpg

Same here, I only have those four and plan to pick some up in the meantime
View Quote
I have that same case!

But if you find a deal one a group buy of those clips please let know!!
I use them for my Uzi mags also! I have a Mk76a1
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 5:25:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have that same case!

But if you find a deal one a group buy of those clips please let know!!
I use them for my Uzi mags also! I have a Mk76a1
View Quote

Ditto, I've heard those clips use to be cheap but are now going to $10+! I definitely need to start looking

Is the Mk76a1 a Stemple in 9mm? I was very interested in those but read during my research that quality and reliability was hit or miss, which is primarily why I went with the Smith & Wesson 76 instead of one of the copies.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 5:36:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Ditto, I've heard those clips use to be cheap but are now going to $10+! I definitely need to start looking

Is the Mk76a1 a Stemple in 9mm? I was very interested in those but read during my research that quality and reliability was hit or miss, which is primarily why I went with the Smith & Wesson 76 instead of one of the copies.
View Quote
I have both

The top one is a Southern Tool and Die m76a1
The bottom wood griped one is a Stemple 45

Link Posted: 2/18/2017 8:35:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have both

The top one is a Southern Tool and Die m76a1
The bottom wood griped one is a Stemple 45

http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac133/chas8008/IMG_0639_zpse2eeec52.jpg
View Quote

Uuuuuggggghhhhhhh!!!

Are those unbuilt transferable M10 lowers?!?!
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 8:59:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Uuuuuggggghhhhhhh!!!

Are those unbuilt transferable M10 lowers?!?!
View Quote

They are 1972 guns, NIB. Ill look for the photos. The SOT paid $250 for them back then. But striped them to the frame and sold the parts for $150 or so.

I bought them a few years ago $2500ea

here are some more 76a1

Link Posted: 2/18/2017 9:20:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

They are 1972 guns, NIB. Ill look for the photos. The SOT paid $250 for them back then. But striped them to the frame and sold the parts for $150 or so.

I bought them a few years ago $2500ea

here are some more 76a1
http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac133/chas8008/IMG_0179.jpg
http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac133/chas8008/IMG_0175.jpg
http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac133/chas8008/IMG_0171.jpg
http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac133/chas8008/IMG_0167.jpg
View Quote

Please stop, you are making me want a third subgun hahaha. Do you plan to build those lowers or keep them NIB?

I had an opportunity to buy a 9mm Stemple several years back (2014~) for $5k. I ultimately passed due to the aforementioned reliability. I'm curious how yours run, and whether you had to do any work to get them running?
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 9:44:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Please stop, you are making me want a third subgun hahaha. Do you plan to build those lowers or keep them NIB?

I had an opportunity to buy a 9mm Stemple several years back (2014~) for $5k. I ultimately passed due to the aforementioned reliability. I'm curious how yours run, and whether you had to do any work to get them running?
View Quote

I never even took it to the range. I have had it since 2009 I think. I took the Stemple once, but she did not like semi wad cutters. I never took it out again.

I love my colt m16, AR18, Valmet m76, uzi, MP5, Sten Mk II, Laged out m10 9mm. Those go to range a lot more then the Teir 2 guns.

Good call on passing on that for only a few K more you got the REAL DEAL.

as for the M10s (two) and my five NIB m11s. Ill leave them. I have a shooter M11a1, and 2 shooter m10 45 and 1 shoot m10 9mm. I only need 3 more MGs. An AUG, a M60, and a M3 GG. Those macs will help fund better guns
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 9:53:50 PM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 2/18/2017 9:56:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I never even took it to the range. I have had it since 2009 I think. I took the Stemple once, but she did not like semi wad cutters. I never took it out again.

I love my colt m16, AR18, Valmet m76, uzi, MP5, Sten Mk II, Laged out m10 9mm. Those go to range a lot more then the Teir 2 guns.

Good call on passing on that for only a few K more you got the REAL DEAL.

as for the M10s (two) and my five NIB m11s. Ill leave them. I have a shooter M11a1, and 2 shooter m10 45 and 1 shoot m10 9mm. I only need 3 more MGs. An AUG, a M60, and a M3 GG. Those macs will help fund better guns
View Quote

Very nice! I suppose that is one of the benefits of the M11 with Lage upper...it's eaten everything including my shitty lead flatnose reloads (mag issues notwithstanding.) I won't lie though, I was attracted to the Stemple given it's price, but I'm glad I passed given reliability and parts availability. Parts availability already seems bad enough with the S&W76

I'd love to try an AR18 someday. A buddy has an old AR180 with the matching scope which he is fussy about shooting, I imagine the F/A version is even more fun.

Makes sense from an investment standpoint to keep them NIB then. I think I've read your posts in the past where you talked about your Macs now that I think of it.

EDIT: Your pics of the matching boxes makes the pair even better
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:43:14 AM EDT
[#13]
I always liked the Smith & Wesson 76 as they are really nice shooters and ended up closing the deal on one today. (along with a M10/9 that came along as part of the deal)

I don't have any "tube" subguns in my collection and debated between the Smith and a repro "tube" based Swedish K / Port Said.  

Ultimately decided that I wanted an American factory original gun even if it doesn't take drums.  Over the years I have figured out that I am not a huge "drum mag" fan.  Drums for M16s, AKs, Thompson, etc. get shot once and then pretty much all just gather dust.

As always these posts are worthless without pictures.  Hopefully it will come home in 6 to 8 months once the F4 clears.

Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:48:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I always like the Smith & Wesson 76 as they are really nice shooters and ended up closing the deal on one today. (along with a M10/9 that came along as part of the deal)

I don't have any "tube" subguns in my collection and debated between the Smith and a repro "tube" based Swedish K / Port Said.  

Ultimately decided that I wanted an American factory original gun even if it doesn't take drums.  Over the years I have figured out that I am not a huge "drum mag" fan.  Drums for M16s, AKs, Thompson, etc. get shot once and then pretty much all just gather dust.

As always these posts are worthless without pictures.  Hopefully it will come home in 6 to 8 months once the F4 clears.

http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh571/jbntex/SW76_3_zpsgslotfqf.jpg
View Quote
She is pretty.

We can talk more off-line,  but you will absolutely want those 36 Round Square clips that were posted in the first photo.  You can load the 36 round magazines or even uzi magazines in less than five seconds.  And then you can reload the metal clip  ( they make plastic ones too) from ammo that is still in the tray fairly easily.

If we could swing a group deal I absolutely would get another 10 or 20.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:56:21 PM EDT
[#15]
An integral suppressor is mandatory on the S&W 76!
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 7:24:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
An integral suppressor is mandatory on the S&W 76!
View Quote

Richard from BWE Firearms just posted over on uzitalk that he's making a run of 8" barrels threaded to 1/2x28. The threads begin just past the factory shroud. It'll probably be a pretty long setup with my Octane9 but it seems like the best option out there.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 4:16:37 PM EDT
[#17]
you have a sweish K, you lucky man
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 4:13:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Had a stressful exam saturday morning so I took my M11 and S&W76 out that afternoon. The 76 ran perfectly through 300rds of Tula.

S&W 76
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 7:46:46 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a genuine S&W 76, that Ive had in possession for just less than a year. It is by far one of the most fun sub guns to shoot, period. The only downside to ownership is sourcing NOS replacement parts and original SW magazines. I've been able to muster up finding a few critical MK Arms parts that were new in the wrapper. On the other hand, Peter G Kokalis in his book "Kokalis on Machine Guns" provided a very condemning review of the 76, that I don't agree with at all. This is a fantastic weapon and a blast to go shoot!
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 8:02:28 PM EDT
[#20]
You guys make me realize I need to up my NFA game...
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 1:48:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Get all the spare parts you can, bolt, barrel, charging handle, pins, extractor, springs
Charging handle broke
Pin in the extractor broke, lost the extractor, months to get another, had to hand fit to run right.
They are the only problems I have had with over 10,000 rds thru it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top