Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2016 10:19:09 AM EDT
Looking for a second MG before the bat possibly gets into office

On the lower end, other than the Mac/Uzi line, is a Reising m50 a decent choice? Looking for something a little more practical, I don't think there's really much else is there?

Any reason not to look at the M50? I like the idea of a rifle subgun
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:45:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:52:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't think I would call UZIs "on the lower end."

They are working their way towards $15,000

A small rifle that shoots 45acp full auto is AWESOME

If a Reising handles and shoots anything like a Thompson, you are going to love it.

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:59:24 AM EDT
[#3]
My dad was a Marine RTO and was issued a Reising.He threw it away as soon as he got to shore and got an M1 carbine from another Marine that wasnt going to need it. He said it was junk.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:05:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:28:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Not a fan.  The one I shot wasn't that reliable, has the weird cocking handle underneath.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:43:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If a Reising handles and shoots anything like a Thompson, you are going to love it.

View Quote

I was mainly referring to the Macs, still not cheap but the cheapest (or close). I bought a M10 this week thanks to you guys and was just looking for something on the other side of the board to fill my first smg hole, an UZI (I know they are no where near the same, so don't jump on me uzi fans) is close to the Mac design if you get the upper.

So knowing what I am talking about now.. the anything you would look at other than the M50?
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 12:04:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I think the benefit of having the ability to switch calibers is often a little overstated.

The fact that a Swedish K or BAR shoots one caliber wouldn't make it less desirable to me.

Aside from 22 kits, I wonder how often people switch calibers anyway.

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 12:25:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I was mainly referring to the Macs, still not cheap but the cheapest (or close). I bought a M10 this week thanks to you guys and was just looking for something on the other side of the board to fill my first smg hole, an UZI (I know they are no where near the same, so don't jump on me uzi fans) is close to the Mac design if you get the upper.

So knowing what I am talking about now.. the anything you would look at other than the M50?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you can afford any of the gold standard guns, M16, UZI, MP5 or Thompson, then I think you should go for it.

By "afford" I mean you place the purchase of those guns above any other possible use for $12000 to $30,000.

If all you want is just a full auto gun to dick around with at the range, then the MACs are all you need.  A MAC10 is a rugged, accurate and reliable gun and a ton of fun.  

If you get Lage upper, then you have a UZI-like compact SMG.

You should get a suppressor to go with the MAC, it was born to be suppressed.

In the MAC price range I would buy an M10, M11/9 and a Reising.  

The other offerings in that price range are not too appealing to me.

The M2 carbine is a cool gun but apparently they suffer from cracking problems.

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 1:59:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've always had a soft spot for Reisings, especially since Eugene Reising and I came from the same small town. (Not, however, simultaneously.)

Pros:

-- Very accurate and handle nicely (they do well in subgun competition)
-- Old-world craftsmanship, wood and steel (also a downside -- see below)
-- Most are veterans of WWII, either military or law enforcement
-- When set up correctly, they are as reliable as an Uzi.

Cons:

-- As old-school guns, they were hand-fitted when built. In military use, parts were swapped around indiscriminately when they were batch-cleaned, and that created problems that gave them a bad reputation. This usually is not an issue with LE/commercial Reisings. Either way, with a little tinkering and fitting, they can be made to run well -- and once you do, they are problem-free thereafter.
-- Mags are expensive (though they are steel and last forever)
-- Reisings are a one-trick pony -- no caliber conversions or barrel changes possible

My favorite Reising is this commercial model, ordered by the Pittsburgh PD the morning after Pearl Harbor, to protect the steel yards. It came in the original (optional) fitted Fed Labs hard case. Incredible deep bluing. I loved it, but a good friend of mine loved it more, so it moved on to him ...

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/reisingrigSMALLsubguns.jpg
View Quote

wow that is absolutely freaking cool man - the whole setup!
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 2:07:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I like mine . It is fun and accurate but finicky
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 2:27:08 PM EDT
[#11]
This is a good place to start.
http://machinegunpriceguide.com/html

$5-6k will get you a Reising or Sten, and are the only really "Cheap" SMGs at the moment.
The Macs used to be in the same price range but with a more modern design and versatility of multipel calibers and beign able to add upgrades and accessories the demand

$6-8k will get you a M2 Carbine or a stemple 76

$10-15k will get you a AC556, which is the cheapest rifle caliber MG. You also are in Uzi territory.

$15-20k will get you a FNC, FAL, M16 RLL, M16 RR, Aug or a Thompson.
How much money do you have to work with?

Assuming you only have $5k to work with, which is why youre looking at a reising. I would recommend just focusing on getting a Lage upper for your Mac, a lightweight suppressor and lots of fun accessories like high end red-dots (Aimpoint t2), lights, lasers, etc...
You already have nice SMG on the way so another SMG of IMO lesser quality would just be redundant and probably just sit in your safe. Probably wouldn't recommend another MG unless youre looking at stepping up to one of the higher end guns previously mentioned such as an M16, HK Sear, Uzi, etc...
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:05:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Original 20 round mags are $150 a piece on gunbroker!

New 30 rounds are being made but not yet released from keystone arms. No prices yet!

I'll know more about the gun once mine is approved!
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 1:17:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Run away from the Reising M50 the legend is true, they are horrible.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 6:33:43 AM EDT
[#14]
I've owned one since 1994, when I got it it had a few issues.
Got it running, & only broke one action bar since.
Keep spare firing pins on hand(though I only broke 1 very early on).
It's nothing like a Thompson, a Reising weighs half what a Thompson does, they also fire fairly fast, more like a 1921, rather than a 1928/M1.
I like mine, & so has everyone who has shot it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 5:24:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Run away from the Reising M50 the legend is true, they are horrible.
View Quote

but the bullets tumble in flight, causing huge wounds

the pentagon designed them that way to get around the Geneva convention
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 10:14:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Last fall I picked up a m10/9 and a sten mkii.
My Mac has a lage upper, aimpoint t2 on it, and my sten is the way it was intended.....
These two subguns make me very happy, and I'm glad I have both and not just one or the other.  For fun I prefer the sten, awesome gun, that shoots fantastic.
The Mac is great for subgun matches, although the sten performs pretty well in matches despite the iron sights.

So both have their place, and both satisfy my needs for full auto presently.

Take a look at the stens if you haven't.   Lot of history as well, which I like personally.

Link Posted: 9/1/2016 10:27:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 1:08:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Got a Reising a few years back and never got it to run. I put a spring kit in it with no improvement in operation. The recoil spring seems to be weak compare to some other sub guns I have.  Neither 20 or 30 rd. mags will operate. I may try to find someone to try and "tune" the mags, I understand that can make it run.
If you want another 9mm, think about a mk760. They run great with the Soumi mags that became available after the ban ended.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 1:34:13 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Yeah, one of my regrets is that I never owned a STEn. Wish I hadn't passed on a C&R STEn for $800 ... back in '94.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Last fall I picked up a m10/9 and a sten mkii.

My Mac has a lage upper, aimpoint t2 on it, and my sten is the way it was intended.....

These two subguns make me very happy, and I'm glad I have both and not just one or the other.  For fun I prefer the sten, awesome gun, that shoots fantastic.

The Mac is great for subgun matches, although the sten performs pretty well in matches despite the iron sights.

So both have their place, and both satisfy my needs for full auto presently.

Take a look at the stens if you haven't.   Lot of history as well, which I like personally.

Yeah, one of my regrets is that I never owned a STEn. Wish I hadn't passed on a C&R STEn for $800 ... back in '94.

I love my Mk II. I loaded 5 mags tonight in about 10/12 mins But she runs, and runs.

I also loaded 4 Thompson mags in maybe 3 mins..
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 8:58:10 AM EDT
[#20]
^lol

That's the biggest thing you always hear about the sten in regards to problems.
Mags haven't really been an issue for me though.  Some of mine I can actually easily load to 25 by hand pretty quickly and easily.  The last few I use a spoon loader on.  Then the rest I use a spoon loader on pretty fast.  As far as I've heard the spoon loader is the most difficult loader to use on sten mags anyways.  If you have an Austen it's even better.

As long as the feed lips are presenting the round at the correct angle and the mags are clean they should work well.

I don't preload mags either.  I like to hang out at the range and load up mags as I shoot.  This way I don't fly through ammo
But that's at a private range that's usually empty that I have 24/7 access to.  If I had to pay for range time, or there was a line of shooters behind me, I would handle that differently.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 11:04:04 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't like the sten, I never wanted one.

both the design and construction is just too crude

It looks like something that the Chinese army would have issued for a mass attack in korea

Link Posted: 9/4/2016 8:20:34 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

^lol

That's the biggest thing you always hear about the sten in regards to problems.

Mags haven't really been an issue for me though.  Some of mine I can actually easily load to 25 by hand pretty quickly and easily.  The last few I use a spoon loader on.  Then the rest I use a spoon loader on pretty fast.  As far as I've heard the spoon loader is the most difficult loader to use on sten mags anyways.  If you have an Austen it's even better.

As long as the feed lips are presenting the round at the correct angle and the mags are clean they should work well.

I don't preload mags either.  I like to hang out at the range and load up mags as I shoot.  This way I don't fly through ammo

But that's at a private range that's usually empty that I have 24/7 access to.  If I had to pay for range time, or there was a line of shooters behind me, I would handle that differently.
View Quote

I have a box Austin loader and it works but not fast.

I have only load 5/6 rds easy in most of my sten mags.  Tendinitis sucks

Link Posted: 9/4/2016 10:11:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It looks like something that the Chinese army would have issued for a mass attack in korea

View Quote

Between the two , I would take the Reising over the Sten . For a fun / range gun the Reising is good and oh .45>9mm
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 11:19:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Between the two , I would take the Reising over the Sten . For a fun / range gun the Reising is good and oh .45>9mm
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This thread has everyone with experience discussing how the reising has severe reliability issues....
The sten does not.....

I don't know about you, but I like a gun to work when I bring it to the range for fun....but it's hard to take you seriously after the caliber comment.

Having said that I wouldn't mind a reising either, lots of history too.  Personally I just wouldn't choose one over a sten.
And the sten isn't for everybody by any means.  It's utilitarian, rudimentary, crude, but a proven successful battlefield subgun.  The same can't be said about the reising sadly, but that doesn't make it a bad gun either.

OP let's put it this way. I would sell off my m10 BEFORE my sten
But I would only sell the m10 for an m16.....

Link Posted: 9/4/2016 12:16:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

This thread has everyone with experience discussing how the reising has severe reliability issues....
The sten does not.....

I don't know about you, but I like a gun to work when I bring it to the range for fun....but it's hard to take you seriously after the caliber comment.

Having said that I wouldn't mind a reising either, lots of history too.  Personally I just wouldn't choose one over a sten.
And the sten isn't for everybody by any means.  It's utilitarian, rudimentary, crude, but a proven successful battlefield subgun.  The same can't be said about the reising sadly, but that doesn't make it a bad gun either.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The sten does not.....

Yourself , if you like your Sten you keep your Sten .
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 12:19:39 PM EDT
[#26]
^Thank you
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 1:09:31 PM EDT
[#27]
DT

Link Posted: 9/4/2016 3:57:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
-- Very accurate and handle nicely (they do well in subgun competition)
View Quote

They run too fast to be a serious contender, IMO. That being said, I'm planning to run mine at the Creek this fall. I must be a glutton for punishment.

Actually, they can do decent. I bought mine specifically with competition in mind. It gave me a closed-bolt gun for the Creek (but one with no good way to mount an optic), and I ran it in "Classic" class at ISSMC, when that match was around.

As noted, it runs too fast to pull singles with traditional trigger manipulation. And you need to be able to do singles on-demand, for ammo management. Otherwise you waste a lot of time doing reloads. However, I had someone show me how to "pluck" the trigger to get singles. It's surprisingly effective.  I'm still slower with this method than pulling singles on the Uzi, though.

Also, while it can be controllable in bursts, it takes more practice than something like an Uzi or a Lage / TASK M11/9.

Here's a stage from ISSMC, back in the day.

Link Posted: 9/4/2016 10:49:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The sten does not.....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The sten does not.....

The reliability issues with the Reising were related to use only in a jungle environment.

Don't you think the Marines tested the gun stateside before adopting it?

The gun doesn't have a reputation for being unreliable for police use here in the USA.

As far as 45 goes, it's a great cartridge and many prefer it to the 9mm.  You don't hear any complaints from the Thompson or Grease gun owners about it.

Based on what I ,now about the Reising, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 10:34:09 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm thinking of another gun myself
I've got the m11/9 with the lage uppers
SW76 by burgess
M2 carbine
BRP u9

I really think the BRP guns are sleepers in the market, just so much you can do with them. I'd recommend that the OP research those guns. Mine never jammed

With three of my 4 machineguns shooting 9mm, it's kinda hard for me to jump to a different caliber- again- like I did with the M2.
I'd be buying three calibers for machine guns. And as you know, ammo is where the real cost comes in over time.

9mm is cheap. I'm poor, so for that reason if I save again I think I'll end up with a Sten. Though I would like a reliable Reising probably a little more.

I look at ammo and mag costs out of the two. I keep at least 50 mags for all of my subguns. Not gonna catch my pants down on a mag ban. I lived through one once
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 11:22:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The reliability issues with the Reising were related to use only in a jungle environment.

The gun doesn't have a reputation for being unreliable for police use here in the USA.

As far as 45 goes, it's a great cartridge and many prefer it to the 9mm.  You don't hear any complaints from the Thompson or Grease gun owners about it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The reliability issues comes from fitted parts. When the Marines cleaned the guns they mixed parts expecting that all parts were interchangeable, they were not.  

The sten does not.....

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top