Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2016 12:38:09 PM EDT
What would be the best lube for a M16 and USI SMG?
I have seen grease in an UZI SMG.  
Lithium based grease and a Moly Graphite based grease??  heard some greases can corrode.  heard mobile1  for M16.  
What is best?

Thx
J
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 7:11:37 PM EDT
[#1]
M16, no different than ar15.  There are huge discussions on which lube is best.  Pretty much just opinions.  Use any oil on the m16.  
I use the same oil that I use on ar15's on my smgs.  I wouldn't use grease on an smg.  It'll end up collecting all all of the unburnt stuff and probably cause some hangups quickly.

I use hoppes #9 oil(not the solvent).
Works for me.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 7:23:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Slick2000 ewg
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 8:41:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I've heard of using everything from Mobile 1 to Vagisil. I use Mobile 1 on all of my firearms (including the AR-15's and Uzi) because it's a full synthetic oil, so it doesn't break down as easily as petroleum based lubricants and my guns tend to be a little cleaner. Also, a quart of it is ~$6, whereas a 1 oz. tube of CLP or any other "gun brand" oil is about the same, so why not get more bang for the buck...

I guess I'm of the opinion that you can have something do one thing well, and other things marginally well, like CLP. I used to use that on my rifles, but have since moved to using one specific cleaner, Mobile 1 as the lubricant, and a Rig-Rag as the final finish protectant.

For what it's worth, I've found AR-15's like to run wet (heavier on lubrication) and Uzis tend to run better with light lubrication...
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 11:05:48 AM EDT
[#4]
THX for the advice!!!!
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 1:04:44 PM EDT
[#5]
For all the MG's I just use what I have at the moment. Currently it's CLP, liquid frog lube because I got it free, and Mobile one oil or grese.

I have a huge bottom of CLP and I just spray down the MG's  

I soak them and keep working.

The UZI seems to work no matter what. The M16's like to wet
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 10:02:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Slick2000 ewg
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/3/2016 2:43:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Mobil 1 works great in both my UZI and M16. Just lube and go. If you use too much, don't worry it will spray out upon mag dumps
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 12:15:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I've recently discovered LSA. It's awesome. Doesn't run, makes the gun very slick, and doesn't seem to collect dust.

One of the downsides of LSA is that every manual says to not mix it with CLP, so now clean with Hoppes instead of CLP. My significant other hates the smell of Hoppes.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 6:53:01 PM EDT
[#9]
CLP breakfree in both my mini Uzi and RR.  Never tried grease.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 6:53:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've recently discovered LSA. It's awesome. Doesn't run, makes the gun very slick, and doesn't seem to collect dust.

One of the downsides of LSA is that every manual says to not mix it with CLP, so now clean with Hoppes instead of CLP. My significant other hates the smell of Hoppes.
View Quote

I have a can of LSA, maybe Ill give it a whirl.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 9:42:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I use Fire Clean on everything.  Apparently it's super close to Crisco, but honestly, the stuff is badass, so I could care less.  I use it on all my machine guns.  actually, on all my guns.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 12:45:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Can someone explain why the military went from LSA to CLP? Was it because CLP is a combo cleaner and lube?

Is there a downside to LSA? Other than the fact that it doesn't clean.

Im using the LSA that's in a green canteen looking container. It's almost a perfect lube.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 1:44:12 PM EDT
[#13]
This thread will probably generate about 100 different answers. I have used several types in my machine guns, but there is one that has absolutely not allowed one FTF, or jam in any of my SMG's , and that is Royal Purple Gun Oil, in the spray can.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 2:15:09 AM EDT
[#14]
http://www.royalpurpleconsumer.com/products/royal-purple-synthetic-gun-oil/

I had not heard of this, but after reading your comment and several reviews, I want to try it.

I normally use RIG as my grease of choice, and LSA for oil. LSA stays around way longer than CLP (which will evaporate just from sitting a week or 2). As far as why the military switched, yes I believe they wanted an all-purpose product that would only require troops to carry one liquid in their cleaning gear. It's also harder to mess up. They can't really use too much unless they fill up the bore, because it's so thin. I'm sure some lobbying had something to do with the selection as well. (Doesn't it always?)

LSA was basically the perfect military small arms oil. It's just thick enough to remain where you want it, but still thin enough to float away contaminants in weapons with little clearance for debris. There are other military oils for arctic use (which are still issued) but it was the go-to general purpose choice for decades. I also get mine from the old tin quart OD cans. Mine have German markings with a NSN. I think I got them from Copes Distributing. Honestly I don't remember, since they've still lasted from 6 years ago. Lol I got some Mobil 1 after reading all the research here, but I always use the LSA on my duty weapons, just because I know it's so awesome. I've used it on full-autos countless times. The RIG too, where grease is needed. Same for Lubriplate, but I like RIG better.

I use Hoppe's 9 for a bore solvent. At work in the gunsmith shop, we mostly used Shooter's Choice, but many incoming guns were long-neglected and had non-chromed bores. The heavy ammonia content reduced the total scrubbing time required.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top