Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2016 12:30:19 AM EDT
How does one X-Ray a machine gun? Can I use a medical X-Ray machine? Is it done like a medical X-Ray? Or is it a different type of X-Ray machine?

Also, what will it look like if the gun has been rewelded?

Thanks.

MGT
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 12:35:26 AM EDT
[#1]
You have to ask a question to get an answer.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 12:38:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Here is what mine looked like when Xrayed at my chiropractors office.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1774738_AR_SBR_and_suppressor_X_Ray_picture.html
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 12:40:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

How does one X-Ray a machine gun? X-ray machine.

Can I use a medical X-Ray machine?  Yes.

Is it done like a medical X-Ray? Yes.

Or is it a different type of X-Ray machine?

Also, what will it look like if the gun has been rewelded? Sorry, don't know that one.

Thanks.

MGT
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/5/2016 12:44:26 AM EDT
[#4]
I am trying to figure out if an M14 has a reweld.

I would like to see what a rewelded gun looks like, especially one that been skillfully rewelded.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 1:18:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I would like to see what a rewelded gun looks like, especially one that been skillfully rewelded.
View Quote

It'll be obvious. The weld will stick out like a sore thumb.

Normal:

Can't find a weapon, but here is a pipe that has been welded. It'll show up the same as a difference in the metal.

Link Posted: 5/5/2016 1:21:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Now that I read it again if you have a really well done reweld about the only way to be sure is to xray. The ATF seized a number of guns from a builder back in the day, Stemple? Norrell? One of them. They claimed the guns were not actually rewelds, and instead guns the SOT got their hands on that fell off the back of a national guard truck. The ATF did finally xray them, and confirmed they were rewelds and returned them to the SOT. I'm sure someone will be along with the name of the SOT.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 1:23:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Any imperfections /voids beneath the surface of the weld would be what shows......

Depending on the quality of the reweld, and since it's a steel, perhaps Magnetic Particle Inspection would work????
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 5:41:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 7:22:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Make some friends at a vet clinic, they have X-ray machines and much less restrictive standards on ya know, bringing a firearm into the building haha
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 6:44:44 PM EDT
[#10]
If it were me and I was concerned about a gun being potentially welded together and I didn't own my own x-ray machine and know what welds look like when x-rayed under that machine I would create some weld samples.

I would order up say some 3/16" carbon steel bar stock of a couple different grades, maybe try and match the thickness of the receiver type where they are most commonly welded back together.

I would then makes test samples by TIG and MIG welding different pieces together using different filler rods and wire and dress all the welds down flush and clean.

Maybe make a dozen different samples and then take them with me when I got the gun x-rayed.  That way you have a bunch of x-rayed  control samples to use as reference material to know what a weld will look like under that specific machine and setting.

Obviously this route becomes more complicated if you don't have your own MIG and/or TIG machine, but assume you could farm that work out without too much trouble..

The only  suggestion I have as to where to go for the actual x-ray (short of making friends with your local vet or dentist) would be to reach out to Skot Ingram.  

He is off 2222 near four points and is a FFL07/02 and runs a pretty sizable metal fabrication business as his primary day job.   Given the amount of structural welding he does and which may require certification or xray at times, he may have a suggestions about where a machinegun could be x-rayed locally.  At a minimum he is least somebody local in both the gun and welding business that may have some better ideas/options for you.

Hope this helps.

Link Posted: 5/6/2016 12:45:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That was John Norrell.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now that I read it again if you have a really well done reweld about the only way to be sure is to xray. The ATF seized a number of guns from a builder back in the day, Stemple? Norrell? One of them. They claimed the guns were not actually rewelds, and instead guns the SOT got their hands on that fell off the back of a national guard truck. The ATF did finally xray them, and confirmed they were rewelds and returned them to the SOT. I'm sure someone will be along with the name of the SOT.

That was John Norrell.

Much thanks. I know a couple of them did rewelds, but one of them was able to preform black magic with it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 12:12:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Much thanks. I know a couple of them did rewelds, but one of them was able to preform black magic with it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was John Norrell.

For your reading enjoyment in the event you don't subscribe to Small Arms Review.

http://www.smallarmsreview.com/display.article.cfm?idarticles=3168
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 3:29:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Here's the old Firepower article on Norrell rewelds........he did a few as semi's as well......very tough to find....

Link Posted: 5/6/2016 4:52:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Make some friends at a vet clinic, they have X-ray machines and much less restrictive standards on ya know, bringing a firearm into the building haha
View Quote

Lots of portable x-ray and fluoro out there.  I used to have access to them all the time and took a nice shot of my loaded Glock.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 5:41:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Here's the old Firepower article on Norrell rewelds........he did a few as semi's as well......very tough to find....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/villafuego/doc372-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/villafuego/doc373-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/villafuego/doc374-1.jpg
View Quote

A how to on a Rewelded M 16 published in July 1986. It was already too late.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 7:10:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks, fellas.

Very helpful.

Link Posted: 5/7/2016 5:51:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Normal:

http://www.armoryblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/xray-m16.jpg

Can't find a weapon, but here is a pipe that has been welded. It'll show up the same as a difference in the metal.

http://www.vidisco.com/sites/default/files/fig1_300_600.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Normal:

http://www.armoryblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/xray-m16.jpg

http://www.vidisco.com/sites/default/files/fig1_300_600.jpg

That top one was my gun and my x-ray :-)  

It's a pretty early colt M4 upper and a Eagle Arms lower.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 7:59:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Post the X-ray. I am a board certified NFA Radiologist.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 10:00:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/7/2016 10:12:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seems legit
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 3:20:52 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This is one of the best replies in a long time. Made go lol.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 10:18:48 PM EDT
[#22]
tag
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 10:43:18 PM EDT
[#23]
IIRC, the owner of the site below is a member here.

http://xrayguns.com/
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 9:08:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
If it were me and I was concerned about a gun being potentially welded together and I didn't own my own x-ray machine and know what welds look like when x-rayed under that machine I would create some weld samples. contract it out

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/10/2016 11:06:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

but have you kept up with your annual mandated continuing education requirements?
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 11:42:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 11:53:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Here is what mine looked like when Xrayed at my chiropractors office.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1774738_AR_SBR_and_suppressor_X_Ray_picture.html
View Quote

That is awesome!

Thanks.

Cheers!
-JC
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top