Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2016 11:59:46 AM EDT
I am looking at buying my first MG. Looking at purchasing from a reputable online dealer, are there any questions you should ask the seller? Never done this before and don't want to make a newb mistake

ETA: Looking at an SWD M11 9mm to be specific
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 2:00:32 PM EDT
[#1]
High def close up pictures are worth a thousand words.

Ask for any history on it, if it's been repaired, refinished, etc...

Personally I never trust comments like "it's barely been shot" it's a machine gun, no one shoots a mag through it and never shoots it for 30 years.

Focus on the registered part, usually the lower receiver, everything else can be replaced. Look for egged out pins holes or other signs of excessive wear
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 2:30:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Agreed, who buys it to not shoot it! One just went through GB claiming to be unfired since the factory. It sold for 8500

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 4:35:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Personally I never trust comments like "it's barely been shot" it's a machine gun, no one shoots a mag through it and never shoots it for 30 years.
View Quote

I recently purchased a BM59 from Ruben advertised as "barely shot".  When it arrived, it sure looked that way.  YMMV.

The questions I would ask depend on the specific gun.  Each one has its idiosyncrasies.

For a MAC, I wouldn't sweat it.  Plan on replacing the recoil springs and buffers.  As long as the welds are good run with it.  Even if it comes out "badly" they are cheap and easy to fix.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 1:12:43 AM EDT
[#4]
At the risk of all manner of derisive comments I will offer that I have many weapons I have never fired.
Almost all of them full auto Hk from beltfeds to a KG date coded MARK 23.  Just one example - a G3SG1
a registered receiver push pin swing down like the one Curtis Higgins of S&H Arms sold a couple years ago
now at a James D Julia auction I have never fired. In fact,  it was made by S&H Arms.  I bought it in May of 1997  -- 19 years this coming May
never fired since I have owned it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 1:26:01 AM EDT
[#5]
I have 7 NIB mgs, 9 mgs that have been shot once. 2 that were shot a little more.

Link Posted: 1/31/2016 1:13:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Try to find on locally, see it in person. Dealers sometimes just handle them take pics and put a price tag. Nothing wrong with that but they dont know there flaws.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 5:53:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have 7 NIB mgs, 9 mgs that have been shot once. 2 that were shot a little more.

View Quote

Investments or what's the story?
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 6:52:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I do not want to stop this thread. but I have been busy and moving a lot for "Work".

I have been to 5 states, and 7/8 contries in 4 years.

And who in there right might would not buy every $22/2500 Mac they could throw a pay check at?

I have a Mod Reising, I shot one @ a MG shoot and bought one for my self. I never shot mine.

I have  a M76a1, Clone of a smith and wesson 76. Might have shot it once, and story with a Stemple, same story with my auto connector, My HK sear needs work to run right now. I lent out my 1919a4 and my Valmet 76 to a buddy so they can be run.

My MGs Own ME at times.

Going to the range in not fun, I try to bring to much stuff.

I am fine with my Sten MKII, Uzi, Laged out Mac 10, and my 16.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 9:57:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I do not want to stop this thread. but I have been busy and moving a lot for "Work".

And who in there right might would not buy every $22/2500 Mac they could throw a pay check at?

I have a Mod Reising, I shot one @ a MG shoot and bought one for my self. I never shot mine.

I have  a M76a1, Clone of a smith and wesson 76. Might have shot it once, and story with a Stemple, same story with my auto connector, My HK sear needs work to run right now. I lent out my 1919a4 and my Valmet 76 to a buddy so they can be run.

My MGs Own ME at times.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My MGs Own ME at times.

Wanna sell me a Mac11? The one I was looking at sold
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 10:02:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My MGs Own ME at times.

I might* sell my 11a1 in 380 this summer. To fund a shike and Lage max31 upper
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 8:52:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Wanting the 9mm as I would likely get the Lage 22kit until I decide to get into reloading. Anyone know where to get a decent one for a good price?

Link Posted: 2/1/2016 11:44:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Check out local dealers. You'd be surprised how often people come into a class 3 dealers shop and want to get rid of stuff. I lucked up on my $3200 m11/9 this way. A regular customer traded in most of his MGs because he was retiring or something and wanted to get rid of his stuff. I profited off of it, sort of.

Keep watching subguns and sturmgewehr, but watch out for scams. You'll pay more to buy from Ruben, but his stuff is top notch, and you're paying for the convenience.

I'd just call around to your class 3 dealers and see if they have any, or have any coming in, or if they know of anyone that is getting rid of some.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 1:06:55 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Check out local dealers. You'd be surprised how often people come into a class 3 dealers shop and want to get rid of stuff. I lucked up on my $3200 m11/9 this way. A regular customer traded in most of his MGs because he was retiring or something and wanted to get rid of his stuff. I profited off of it, sort of.

Keep watching subguns and sturmgewehr, but watch out for scams. You'll pay more to buy from Ruben, but his stuff is top notch, and you're paying for the convenience.

I'd just call around to your class 3 dealers and see if they have any, or have any coming in, or if they know of anyone that is getting rid of some.
View Quote
Yes local deals are the best deals
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 7:07:38 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Agreed, who buys it to not shoot it! One just went through GB claiming to be unfired since the factory. It sold for 8500

View Quote

Damn I can't believe how much those are going for now.

I'd sure sell mine if I could get $8500 for it.  At this rate in a couple years I probably will be able to.

Link Posted: 3/9/2016 8:30:44 PM EDT
[#15]

I have seen a number of MGs that looked basically brand new

not everyone is a "shooter"

a lot of gun guys are collectors, they buy stuff just to own it
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 9:28:19 PM EDT
[#16]
I own 4 that have never been shot except to test at time of build or at factory.

3- Sterling Mk5
1-M16A1
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 10:31:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

My MGs Own ME at times.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My MGs Own ME at times.

This is the exact list of MGs id love to have.  
2 down, and the more expensive 2 to go....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top