Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2015 6:17:37 PM EDT
OK, loading these things by hand hurts.  So I finally ordered a loader for it.  This one:

http://www.ima-usa.com/british-sten-lanchester-magazine-loader-box-type-new-made.html

It sucks.  For the life of me I can't figure out how you would insert a new round into it.  Plus the piece of crap doesn't stay in one unit.  The handle isn't securely pinned in the ears.

Is it just a poor product or is there a trick to this?

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 7:27:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
OK, loading these things by hand hurts.  So I finally ordered a loader for it.  This one:

http://www.ima-usa.com/british-sten-lanchester-magazine-loader-box-type-new-made.html

It sucks.  For the life of me I can't figure out how you would insert a new round into it.  Plus the piece of crap doesn't stay in one unit.  The handle isn't securely pinned in the ears.

View Quote

Well if the handle isnt pinned in, you got a defective product.

The unit should also be able to pushed on far enough so it snaps into place and wont come off.

Operation of your loader is 2/3rds down this page/
http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10754
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:44:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The unit should also be able to pushed on far enough so it snaps into place and wont come off.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the link.  That is exactly what I needed.

Now I understand how it is SUPPOSED to work.  And mine simply doesn't.  I need to send this back.  What really sucks is their shipping costs are high and I need one by the 29th.  Gonna be close now.

I think I'll call and find out if the original military unit is better built than this new manufacture.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:17:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Contacted IMA.  No problems.  It is defective.  

I changed my order to an original WWII loader figuring if it lasted this long it must be solid.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:56:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Contacted IMA.  No problems.  It is defective.  

I changed my order to an original WWII loader figuring if it lasted this long it must be solid.

View Quote

Is that the one that looks like it's made out of brass knuckles? We had two of those at our last mg shoot and they still suck. Loading Sten mags sucks.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:01:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:26:03 AM EDT
[#6]
I think the IMA loader is a repro magazine loader.

If you can find a Austen loader buy it, they work much better.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:42:59 AM EDT
[#7]
My original british ring loader works a charm.  As mentioned above, once you're used to it, it's almost as fast as a lula, and the limiting factor for your loading speed is being able to wriggle the rounds into the correct orientation in your hand and present them to the loader.

I'll load sten mags for MG shoots while watching tv without having to look at the rounds or magazine, like touch-typing - orienting the rounds by feel, and the loading motions coming automatically.  I stack 12 sten mags to a 30cal ammo can, and can load those 384 rounds in about 20-25 minutes depending if I've got the rounds loose or have to keep stopping to unbox them.

Loading sten mags without the ring loader is, I believe, expressly forbidden by a human rights treaty somewhere.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:48:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 7:36:26 PM EDT
[#9]
The IMA one I sent back today is a repro.  I am exchanging it (plus more money) for an original WWII one of the same type.  The brass knuckles type.  By god I hope it works well as I had a good time with the Mac-11 and Lage upper today.  

Sadly, I am going to have to load a bunch of sten mags without again to entertain some buddies from out of town who have never fired full auto before.  Well, we do this stuff for pals.

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:37:42 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm looking at getting the same set up. Figures I buy the weapon with the mags I loath the most.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:43:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm looking at getting the same set up. Figures I buy the weapon with the mags I loath the most.
View Quote

I had a choice of a Mac11 with Sten or Zytel when I bought.  The seller said sten mags last longer and are easier to find.  He failed to mention the part where you will never use your thumb again without a loader.  

I'll update this thread when the original WWII loader arrives and I can use it.

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 7:34:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

it's a phenominal loader if it's in good shape.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 4:40:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Best in the business is the AUSTEN..

Well worth the money...

I compared the TAPCO , the Brit loader...even Cobray 9mm loaders and other setups.

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 6:15:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 1:54:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
When I had my STEn-converted M11/9, I used an Austen loader exclusively. Still was such a PITA to load mags that I sold the M11/9.
View Quote

Jees you guys are scaring me....
I think the sten I'm waiting on uses sten mags

I picked up the other type of loader.  Slides on the back of the mag and just presses the round down like a lever.  Seems easy enough.  It's the 15ish dollar loader.  Hasn't given me any issues, just trying it out while I'm waiting.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 10:25:20 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I picked up the other type of loader.  Slides on the back of the mag and just presses the round down like a lever.  Seems easy enough.  It's the 15ish dollar loader.  Hasn't given me any issues, just trying it out while I'm waiting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

When I had my STEn-converted M11/9, I used an Austen loader exclusively. Still was such a PITA to load mags that I sold the M11/9.

I have a Sten Mk II and I have about 150/60 mags

Yeah they suck loading. I rode in the back of Monkey_Wrenches' car to a MG shoot loading Sten mags. 1 and a half later I loaded 7/8 mags

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 7:23:26 AM EDT
[#17]
How long can it take to load ten rounds?  You shouldn't even need a loader............
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 12:29:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Chase- haha that sounds unbelievable!

Redeye- Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 1:33:19 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Chase- haha that sounds unbelievable!

Redeye- Thanks!
View Quote

lol

I think two of the mags were bad too

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 2:36:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Stop being lazy......it's really NOT that bad....with the AUSTEN, it really wasn't that bad...

No loaders...yeah....horrible.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 8:59:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Loading mags.....any mags but especially STEN mags is the only reason that should legitimize human trafficking. I would gladly pay several grand for and feed, house and clothe a (insert human traffickers' nationality du jour) just so I never had to load mags again. The oldest is 8 and understands the concept, but she lacks the strength to load a G21 mag to capacity with a LULA. You can forget sub gun mags.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:18:18 PM EDT
[#22]
We do machinegun shoots a few times a year that are open to the public and not just us greedy bastards. Another friend and I always wind up as the mag/belt loaders just to stop the whining. I am more than happy to do this, but after 6 straight hours of loading I don't want to see another Sten mag. Why do so many subguns accept Sten mags?
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 8:18:46 PM EDT
[#23]
OK, I got the British WWII mag loader.  On the plus side - it works.  No issues getting full mags.  The big problem now is the darn thing is really hard to get OFF a mag.  I think I'm going to get some fine sand paper and smooth all the mags and the inside of the loader.  I mean shazaam.  Nothing about these is easy.  I shoulda kept the MP5.

Link Posted: 5/30/2015 2:34:27 PM EDT
[#24]
That was why the AUSTEN is better.

That Brit setup...original and reproduction is hard to get off.

Link Posted: 5/30/2015 6:12:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 7:33:58 PM EDT
[#26]
I think I'd like a conversion of some kind.  The M11/Lage upper wasn't very reliable today.  Now, I freely admit that given some time, proper lube (maybe thats the issue), different ammo, selective mags that I can resolve it.  But at this point it isn't a reliable weapon.  And I was kind of embarrassed at the range with my guests having problems.  

Guess I need to spend some time at the open range where I can shake it out.  

Luckily the M16 as usual ran without a hitch.

Link Posted: 5/30/2015 8:29:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I think I'd like a conversion of some kind.  The M11/Lage upper wasn't very reliable today.  Now, I freely admit that given some time, proper lube (maybe thats the issue), different ammo, selective mags that I can resolve it.  But at this point it isn't a reliable weapon.  And I was kind of embarrassed at the range with my guests having problems.  

Guess I need to spend some time at the open range where I can shake it out.  

Luckily the M16 as usual ran without a hitch.

View Quote

That sucks man
One of the many reasons I chose a different subgun for my first MG.
If I can do a second it will be an m16

So at least you had that as backup!
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 9:42:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Yeah, the M16 always works.  I think my issues are mag related.  I'm going on my own to the range this week to sort them out and find which ones I can count on.   Hard to do with guests wanting to shoot a machine-gun and an indoor range with little room.

Link Posted: 6/1/2015 4:30:22 PM EDT
[#29]
You really need an Austen loader for Sten mags.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 6:25:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Yeah, the M16 always works.  I think my issues are mag related.  I'm going on my own to the range this week to sort them out and find which ones I can count on.   Hard to do with guests wanting to shoot a machine-gun and an indoor range with little room.

View Quote

Yea that doesn't sound like a good time.

I have the spoon loader and just realized that there is a small flat lever on the back with a piece of folded metal that goes through to the inside.  It looks like it would fit in the small rectangle cutout on the back of the sten mag, but Im not exactly sure on the purpose of this part of the loader....?  Can anyone tell me?
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 7:24:57 AM EDT
[#31]
If I'm reading your description correctly, it's to lock it in place on the magazine while you are loading.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 9:50:46 AM EDT
[#32]
I just received an AUSTEN loading tool in the mail today (happy Birthday to me!) and can confirm that this is the greatest loading tool ever made for the Sten magazines. I cant believe that I suffered for so long, loading the magazines like an animal. Love the gun but always HATED loading the magazines..........problem solved.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 12:08:28 PM EDT
[#33]
My British issue WWII loader is working OK too.  And IMA did me right restocking the broken new manufacture one and shipping me without any extra  charge other than the difference between the first one and this one.  I'll do business with them again.

Would love to try an Austen but this one works so I'm not spending more on another.  Now I have to sort out the faulty mags and sight in the Lage/Mac11.  Guess I'll have to go shooting in this hot weather.  Oh well.  At least the range will be relatively empty afternoon during the week.

Link Posted: 6/3/2015 12:11:35 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm cheap by standards that would shock most people but buying the Austen loader was the best investment I ever made.

I started with a Cobray and even was using a Mac 10 loader for my sten...until I got licky on a Austen for less then 50 USD.

I'm glad I did and it was well worth it.

Anyone with a sten...first thing I tell them.

get the Austen....

everyone balks on the price but I tell them it is worth it.

Link Posted: 6/9/2015 1:22:55 PM EDT
[#35]
another +1 for the Austen loader.  I had tons of sten mags and 3 of the Lancaster 50rd mags and the Austen mag loader was the only way to go...
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 2:44:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Adco solved this years ago.

Sten modified Uplula. Took 10-15 minutes to mod, easy peasy and works PERFECTLY.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 12:35:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Having and having used both, the ring loader is MUCH easier for sten mags than a modified uplula, IMO.  

I do use the modified uplula for grease gun mags, though.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 11:07:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Might have to get one for my grease gun, man I hate loading those damn mags.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 2:12:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Having and having used both, the ring loader is MUCH easier for sten mags than a modified uplula, IMO.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have never used a ring loader, but my Sten-mod Maglula works like a dream and they are available pretty much in any sporting goods store.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 8:41:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Here I am bitching about loading Sten mags and what do I do? Go and buy a Sten MKII. At least it came with a 1919 and an RPD, so I can rest my sore thumbs while loading belts.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 2:07:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Here I am bitching about loading Sten mags and what do I do? Go and buy a Sten MKII. At least it came with a 1919 and an RPD, so I can rest my sore thumbs while loading belts.
View Quote

I see what you did there.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 10:32:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Now I need to try an Austen loader if I can find one, And a tripod. I forgot that the Sten was an integrally suppressed model until I went over the paperwork. I was more concerned about getting the 1919 at the price i did before someone else did.
By the way unit, Futurama is almost always playing on my tv. It's become the "fuck it, just put Futurama on" program in my house.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 1:03:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Now I need to try an Austen loader if I can find one, And a tripod. I forgot that the Sten was an integrally suppressed model until I went over the paperwork. I was more concerned about getting the 1919 at the price i did before someone else did.
By the way unit, Futurama is almost always playing on my tv. It's become the "fuck it, just put Futurama on" program in my house.
View Quote

Yep, 3:30ish-5:30ish everyday on comedy central.

Did you pick up on how my username is written.....
Picture of Bender-Bending Rodriguez-haha very few would get it....you really have to be a fan of the show

But very cool purchases.  SO what is that, the MKIIS because of integral suppressor?
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 3:46:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Picture of Bender-Bending Rodriguez-haha very few would get it....you really have to be a fan of the show

But very cool purchases.  SO what is that, the MKIIS because of integral suppressor?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think so, I found a little info on it not much. We (DNA Guns) have three already, all MKII's. I should have them in a few weeks, I hope.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 1:42:31 AM EDT
[#45]
We actually have two MKIII's and now that MKII. Figures you'd already be in on this thread.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:03:40 AM EDT
[#46]
You sir poured gasoline on this fire in my head, thank you. This started shortly after you broke my thumbs. And thank you  for the correction on the Stens. They are still a mystery to me.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 12:22:59 PM EDT
[#47]
IMHO a sten = reliable, fun cheap tube gun with TERRIBLE mags.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top