Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/13/2015 5:07:36 PM EDT
This topic might get moved but IMO its more pertinent to Full auto weapons more than semi (normal ammo topic heading) because of the inability to stop a gun while in full auto to check for a squib etc.
semi autos you can shut the session down to check the barrel for a stuck bullet while in full auto you don't have that chance.

Soooo... what ammo do you trust shooting full auto that wont break the bank ?
Reloads by a full time mass production reloader ?
Or steel /aluminum cheap Russian etc stuff ?
Or do you bite the bullet and buy Fiocchi / Winchester / Prvi Partisan etc ?

Looking at 9mm and .380 ACP right now.
If it were 5.56 or 7.62 I'd probably just get lake city but its not available in these pistol calibers.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 5:56:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
This topic might get moved but IMO its more pertinent to Full auto weapons more than semi (normal ammo topic heading) because of the inability to stop a gun while in full auto to check for a squib etc.
semi autos you can shut the session down to check the barrel for a stuck bullet while in full auto you don't have that chance.
Typically a squib load will not produce sufficient force to cycle the action and if the bullet stops before the gas tube the action will not move at all. The issue usual is after a squib load occurs and the shooter fails to check the firearm and diagnose the problem, manually cycles the action, ejecting the spent shell, loading a fresh round and firing a round with a bullet stuck in the chamber and Ka Boom! This is not a machine gun specific issue, this can and does happen to semi autos all the time as its a shooter issue. I always make it clear to anyone shooting my firearms that if anything goes wrong dont touch it, just put the safety on, keep it pointed in a safe direction and let me know there is a problem. I cant speak for all MGs but on M16s this usually just means damage to the upper but there is always risk of damaging the lower or even worse injuring the shooter.

Soooo... what ammo do you trust shooting full auto that wont break the bank ?
Reloads by a full time mass production reloader ?
Or steel /aluminum cheap Russian etc stuff ?
Or do you bite the bullet and buy Fiocchi / Winchester / Prvi Partisan etc ?

I personally only shoot quality brass ammo or hand reloads. Some people say no reloads but i crimp the neck and all rounds are inspected by two people during the reloading process. I never messed with steel case ammo as i can reload brass for cheaper, around $0.20 a round vs $0.25 for steel ammo. M193 can be had for around $0.30-0.35 and if you pick up the brass thats $0.05 a round you, even if you dont reload you can sell it in bulk to people who do reload. Steel case ammo is only good for people who dont reload and dont want to bother banding over to pick up brass.

Plenty of people do shoot steel ammo through their MGs without any issues though.

Looking at 9mm and .380 ACP right now.
If it were 5.56 or 7.62 I'd probably just get lake city but its not available in these pistol calibers.
I dont have a pistol cal MG so i dont buy or shoot more than a few hundred rounds year all out of my CCW.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/13/2015 6:23:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Life's too short to shoot cheap ammo.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 11:34:56 PM EDT
[#3]
anything that goes bang.  except corrosive....
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 12:04:26 AM EDT
[#4]
I load all my own ammo.  I've probably fired somewhere in the neighborhood of 100k rounds and I've never had any catastrophic failure or any issues.  Roll your own, don't put anyone else in charge of your investment.

=

get busy!
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 1:22:16 AM EDT
[#5]
We'll on my m16, I run federal xm193/xm855, AE xm193, or PMC xtac.  I don't mess with the lower-pressure stuff or the cheap stuff.  A savings of a few bucks on ammo isn't worth it to me to jeopardize the gun.  On the mp5 I run anything brass-cased that will cycle it, since it's a registered sear instead of a rr.

That setup above though is sick.  Is that completely automated?  To the point you can set it up, let it run, go have a beer, rhen check the end-product?  If so, sign me up...that's amazing.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 1:35:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We'll on my m16, I run federal xm193/xm855, AE xm193, or PMC xtac.  I don't mess with the lower-pressure stuff or the cheap stuff.  A savings of a few bucks on ammo isn't worth it to me to jeopardize the gun.  On the mp5 I run anything brass-cased that will cycle it, since it's a registered sear instead of a rr.

That setup above though is sick.  Is that completely automated?  To the point you can set it up, let it run, go have a beer, rhen check the end-product?  If so, sign me up...that's amazing.
View Quote

When I took that photo it did not have the auto loader motor or the bullet feeder, but yes it is setup for auto loading now.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 9:14:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

When I took that photo it did not have the auto loader motor or the bullet feeder, but yes it is setup for auto loading now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very cool setup, I need to look at something automated like that. The hand press is a lot of work for reloading in bulk.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 9:30:23 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

We'll on my m16, I run federal xm193/xm855, AE xm193, or PMC xtac. I don't mess with the lower-pressure stuff or the cheap stuff. A savings of a few bucks on ammo isn't worth it to me to jeopardize the gun. On the mp5 I run anything brass-cased that will cycle it, since it's a registered sear instead of a rr.

That setup above though is sick. Is that completely automated? To the point you can set it up, let it run, go have a beer, rhen check the end-product? If so, sign me up...that's amazing.

Which auto drive and bullet feeder are you using?

Are you swaging on the 650 or seperately?

I've got a 650, RT1200, case feeder and aftermarket swaging kit.  I just finished setting it up last week with the swager, I've got it set for a minimal swage and I need to test some brass to make sure it's enough to seat the primers

I still would like to automate it sometime and get an automatic bullet feeder.

Have you had any trouble with decapping?  I have bent multiple pins, it seems that the cases aren't always 100% lined up.  Most the time I feel it and can tap the case and it will be lined properly.  Perhaps I need to use a different decapper.

Link Posted: 5/14/2015 9:32:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Do ****NOT**** use 9mm Win white box in your SMG.  Cost me a Colt SMG barrel as box had a squib and multiple rounds got stuck.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 9:57:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Hail Mary:
Do ****NOT**** use 9mm Win white box in your SMG.  Cost me a Colt SMG barrel as box had a squib and multiple rounds got stuck.
View Quote

Atleast it was just the barrel and not the RR
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 12:45:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I run a number of postsample guns.

I have had really good results with the Geco pistol caliber stuff from AIM surplus.

Link Posted: 5/14/2015 3:38:09 PM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

any ammo can have a squib

I use an RCBS powder checker lock-out die to make sure my handloads are always loaded with a full charge of powder

Link Posted: 5/14/2015 3:38:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just read your user name and it clicked in my head, it means meat whistle

LOL

Please post up a vid of your press in action

Link Posted: 5/14/2015 9:28:17 PM EDT
[#14]
I shoot a crap load of wolf out of my MP5's, brass stuff for my Sterling MK5's, and good brass high pressure stuff in M16.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 9:40:05 PM EDT
[#15]
where did you get that Big tray to catch the finished bullets ?

Quoted:
I load all my own ammo.  I've probably fired somewhere in the neighborhood of 100k rounds and I've never had any catastrophic failure or any issues.  Roll your own, don't put anyone else in charge of your investment.

http://i.imgur.com/xyKtw4Z.jpg?3

=

http://i.imgur.com/wVnjg5r.jpg

get busy!
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/16/2015 9:59:09 PM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

I had  a 9mm case rupture on me wwb sux
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 12:22:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I use an RCBS powder checker lock-out die to make sure my handloads are always loaded with a full charge of powder

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I had my first 9mm squib a few months ago, my reload, due to the powder drop getting stuck in the "up" position. It was the old LNL design, with weak spring tension in the up position.

I must have not seen the empty case, or was distracted.

I've since upgraded the powder drop to the newer design.

I looked in the barrel before charging it again (the spent case was still in the chamber): no daylight, so back home I went to knock the bullet out of my MP5.

A squib due to a no powder charge shouldn't cycle the action. A low powder squib might.

Now I have a camera and an RCBS lock out die to keep an eye on the powder charge.

For my 45ACP I thought I'd try the Hornady lockout die so I don't have to use different settings on the lockout die..

I shoot any reloadable factory ammo, no steel cased.

If I get some reloaded ammo from a reputable company, I'll use it.

Link Posted: 5/19/2015 1:46:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for all the responses.

So far I've decided if the price difference between factory new reloadable brass ammo and reload/steel is not that great to go with it. Just bought a bunch of .380

In .308 the gap is pretty big  $.40 (wolf)  vs .60 new with reloadable brass

Link Posted: 5/20/2015 4:48:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 4:56:13 PM EDT
[#20]
I'll run wolf steel case at the min.

NO RELOADS!

If it doesn't run on Wolf, I don't want it.

This belt probably has 4 different kinds of ammo on it...no issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlOkuvm9lfs
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 6:30:30 PM EDT
[#21]
My own reloads. Nobody else's.

In the .45acp subguns I run my own cast bullet reloads. Lyman 225gr RN mould cast from wheelweight alloy. Never had a malfunction with them, even in my Reising! I did have one misfeed with Winchester USA, but never my cast reloads.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:15:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Depends on caliber
8mm I use Rommy

7.62X25 Rommy as well

9mm Swedish m/39b surplus

9mm suppressed 147 gr reload my own

45ACP Wolf steel cased - bought 10K rnds for 170/K way back

6.5X55 Swedish surplus

5.56mm I shoot mainly LC 55gr stuff in the belt gun and Prvi in the non belt guns.

7.62X39 Golden Bear -steel cased

7.7 Jap reloads using pulled bullets from 7.62X54R that I picked up a long time ago.

7.62X51 NATO surplus Aussie stuff

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:59:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

In the .45acp subguns I run my own cast bullet reloads. Lyman 225gr RN mould cast from wheelweight alloy. Never had a malfunction with them, even in my Reising! I did have one misfeed with Winchester USA, but never my cast reloads.
View Quote

Wish I had that kind of luck with cast .45 in my RMW upper.  I've been trying Hitek bullet coating and I'm getting crazy leading.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 2:09:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Wish I had that kind of luck with cast .45 in my RMW upper.  I've been trying Hitek bullet coating and I'm getting crazy leading.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn't run cast in a gas upper, but that's just me. When it comes to pistol caliber ARs I've tried Colt 9mms but have had horrible reliability. It was surprising when I got through a full mag without a malfunction. But my Olympic uppers never malfunction and I feed them almost exclusively cast. Look at the shape of the feed ramps on the Olympic. It makes it almost impossible to not feed.

In my .45acp SBR Oly upper/CNC AR45 lower I've tried every bullet shape and weight I could find. All the way from a very weird shaped 150gr SWC to all the 230gr bullets, RN, TC, SWC, ball and JHP. The only bullet I ever had misfeed is when I found data for using a 250gr LRNFP .45 Colt bullet in .45acp. It didn't like that, but any and all bullets made for the .45acp feed 100%.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 6:01:29 PM EDT
[#25]
I roll my own, and make better ammo then you can buy at twice the price.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 4:38:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I roll my own, and make better ammo then you can buy at twice the price.
View Quote

+1.

I recently switched to those fiocchi primers which come in bricks of 1,500. I cut about $8 off per 1k rounds. So it costs me about $130 to reload 1k rounds of 147gr 9mm. I've compared my loads to a few factory 147gr offerings and mine is always quieter, cleaner (for both can and gun), less recoil, less muzzle flash and less unburnt powder to the face, and equally as reliable.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 7:18:07 PM EDT
[#27]
My own reloads.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 9:13:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Relevant to this thread, I just "test-fired" a couple boxes of Tulammo through my M10/9mm.

In 4 magazines worth, it had one FTF.  That is the first FTF that I've had thus far.  Even so, for the price, I am considering purchasing a case or two of it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:41:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Back when Bush looked into Putin's eye and got warm fuzzies about his soul, I bought a lot of Wolf and ran it through my FNC.   I wasn't worried about faster erosion because I wanted to swap the barrel with a green mountain and make it shorter.

However, given the current animosity between our two countries, I really doubt the QC dept for ammo headed to America is really paying attention.   Anyway, once I run out of steel case, doubt I will buy anymore to run through my FNC.   Plus the indoor range I joined doesn't allow steel case so there's that.

As far as being weaker, I considered that a plus.  Any less wear and tear I put on the rest of the FNC I considered a plus.  In fact I seek out .223 brass case for running it.   From my engineering background, quite often 10% less stress can equal a much greater extension of part life.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 10:42:30 AM EDT
[#30]
My handloads are the cheapest without a doubt but I will run almost any Federal, PMC, Remington, or Winchester I can find. I do not run steel case or reloads I did not manufacture.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 1:20:10 PM EDT
[#31]
I have 150K rounds of 9mm Blazer through various SMGs with not a single issue.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 6:30:33 PM EDT
[#32]
I've shot a few thousand Blazers through my MP5 clone. I've also fired cheap steel-cased ammo in various post-sample MG's and never had a problem. Lately in 5.56 I've been using PMC as it's cleaner-burning for pennies more. I haven't tried my cases of Fiocchi yet. The only ammo problem I ever had was with 1 round of .45 ACP Aguila (case head failed, blowout down feed ramp, cracked frame) in a Mark 23 pistol. Centurion, Aguila's parent company, replaced my used Mk23 with a new Mk23. Now that's customer service!

Link Posted: 9/23/2015 5:18:05 PM EDT
[#33]
I ran el cheapo Wolf polyformance and some reloadable PMC in a MP5 and an UZI.
The Uzi jammed with wolf and the HK didn't like the pmc.
Go figure.
No squibs but wasn't expecting any.
That Wolf stuff is cheaper than reloading.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 9:12:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Nothing but Wolf and Tula in an UZi.
Mostly Wolf in a Commando.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 1:15:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/xyKtw4Z.jpg?3

=

http://i.imgur.com/wVnjg5r.jpg

get busy!
View Quote

How much does an automated reloading set up cost?
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 3:11:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I ran el cheapo Wolf polyformance and some reloadable PMC in a MP5 and an UZI.
The Uzi jammed with wolf and the HK didn't like the pmc.
Go figure.
No squibs but wasn't expecting any.
That Wolf stuff is cheaper than reloading.
View Quote

I don't see the point of shooting cheapo 9mm

you can get speer lawman 9mm shipped for $23 per 100

the cheapest wolf I can find is $19.20 per 100

figure the empty brass is worth $4 per 100 to sell, so the net cost is $18 per 100 for the speer
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 1:21:09 PM EDT
[#37]
WWB is about as cheap as I will go . Commercial reloads are generally underpowered in 9mm . Remington UMC is the same barely enough power to move the bolt
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:51:04 AM EDT
[#38]
I only use steel anymore but will NOT run tula or non barnal ammo. I blew out some wolf steel cased form one of the special runs and got shit ammo.

I think it runs fine

Link Posted: 11/21/2015 7:41:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Ive shot several thousand rounds of wolf 308 through my HK21 without a problem. I bought alot of it when AIM had it for $250/1000.Only shot the wolf in my 21. 9mm and 40 brass cased ammo is cheap enough to shoot for me at 2-300 a case i wont complain about that to much.  I wont shoot reloads thought no matter who makes them. Had to many issues with Hunting Shack and from some other guy who claimed to be a master reloader with 20+ years experience but couldnt get the overall length of a 308 right.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top