BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 8:14:22 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where do you shoot yours? i would love a m1919 but do all my shooting at a indoor range :-/
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

did someone 1919?  

<a href="http://s893.photobucket.com/user/chas8008/media/1919_zpsc336a33f.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac133/chas8008/1919_zpsc336a33f.jpg</a>

Where do you shoot yours? i would love a m1919 but do all my shooting at a indoor range :-/

I just moved out here but I found a range that is pretty Nfa friendly.

In Fl I have three ranges I would go to.

But alas my DLO 1919 is still Pending..

Link Posted: 12/4/2014 11:04:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
M240
View Quote

Yeah i think they run like $100k+. Not exactly entry level

More like sell your house, cars, kidney and first born child.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 11:40:10 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

M240

lol, I have sold blood plasma, for MG money
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 4:21:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 8:26:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
OP:

M11/9 is the low price option and, thanks to Richard Lage, one of the best performers out there...but you'll get ahead of it.

M10/45's SCREAM with the right upper (USMG sidecocker), some tuning (surface finishing for smooth function and run em wet) and a Gemtech Viper. You'll have a very controllable bullet hose, with the right stock, and mags are, once again, readily available.

That's the thing: Mags. Some SMG's have a 'mag' issue: Availability of reliable and affordable mags. Unless you want to spend most of your time at the range loading, you're gonna need a metric ton of mags. I have 50+ for every SMG in the arsenal. Excessive? Maybe, but you'll see.  

Uzi's don't have the mag supply/price issue (if you're willing to clean up the surplus ones out there). And the right Uzi can be tuned with buffer blocks and a Ti bolt (expensive but crazy fast) and put that grin on your face while being very controllable.

M16's are, well M16's: It's what you really want. Admit it. But they aren't cheap. A1's and A2's and Groupie SS's are all I'd buy but you could have fun with a 'lesser' shooter no matter what us 16 snobs will tell you. And the Groupies usually need a lot of truing up to be the uber-16 their indestructible steel construction promises. I've got two of them and they rock. ARES belt fed uppers are work (linkin than collecting links...magnets are a must) but LMG uppers have much heavier barrels and tear it up with Beta Mags and a spade grip from KNS...

Haven't even touched on the HK's...they've gotten so expensive I don't want to shoot 'em.

You get into this know you're gonna spend the Ferrari money on fun switches. I did. There's almost no goin back...
View Quote

Thank you for this write up it is good info

Today I shot my first MG a post sample  m16... It was awesome!
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 12:12:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP:

M11/9 is the low price option and, thanks to Richard Lage, one of the best performers out there...but you'll get ahead of it.

M10/45's SCREAM with the right upper (USMG sidecocker), some tuning (surface finishing for smooth function and run em wet) and a Gemtech Viper. You'll have a very controllable bullet hose, with the right stock, and mags are, once again, readily available.

That's the thing: Mags. Some SMG's have a 'mag' issue: Availability of reliable and affordable mags. Unless you want to spend most of your time at the range loading, you're gonna need a metric ton of mags. I have 50+ for every SMG in the arsenal. Excessive? Maybe, but you'll see.  

Uzi's don't have the mag supply/price issue (if you're willing to clean up the surplus ones out there). And the right Uzi can be tuned with buffer blocks and a Ti bolt (expensive but crazy fast) and put that grin on your face while being very controllable.

M16's are, well M16's: It's what you really want. Admit it. But they aren't cheap. A1's and A2's and Groupie SS's are all I'd buy but you could have fun with a 'lesser' shooter no matter what us 16 snobs will tell you. And the Groupies usually need a lot of truing up to be the uber-16 their indestructible steel construction promises. I've got two of them and they rock. ARES belt fed uppers are work (linkin than collecting links...magnets are a must) but LMG uppers have much heavier barrels and tear it up with Beta Mags and a spade grip from KNS...

Haven't even touched on the HK's...they've gotten so expensive I don't want to shoot 'em.

You get into this know you're gonna spend the Ferrari money on fun switches. I did. There's almost no goin back...

Haha you're hooked now! Better start saving for a RR. You will love being a
M16 snob, it's a lot of fun! :-)
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 8:05:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Whatever you do, don't borrow money to buy a machine gun! Being as tactful as I can, I have to say that this hobby is for people who are debt-free, and who have $25K (or more) burning holes in their pockets. (Or people who got into it years ago at much lower prices, and who can trade around using their current holdings.) After all, this is a hobby, and one which has a lot of uncertainties and potential downsides. It makes no sense to jeopardize your financial future over a hobby.

Link Posted: 12/5/2014 11:27:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Whatever you do, don't borrow money to buy a machine gun! Being as tactful as I can, I have to say that this hobby is for people who are debt-free, and who have $25K (or more) burning holes in their pockets. (Or people who got into it years ago at much lower prices, and who can trade around using their current holdings.) After all, this is a hobby, and one which has a lot of uncertainties and potential downsides. It makes no sense to jeopardize your financial future over a hobby.

View Quote

I'm 26, car paid off, make 85k , currently don't pay rent and have over 30k saved to put down on a house (that won't be touched).
I think I am In a good place to buy one
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 2:06:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Saw a 240B today at the SAR Show listed for $175K....they are pricey.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 8:03:50 PM EDT
[#10]
The FNC is the most under valued MG out there in my opinion.  There are a couple on GB right now less than 10K; thats crazy.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 10:39:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 6:25:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Disagree, compared to a mac, its a gold plated solution.

Caliper conversions, i dont use those, they run crapy and well, thats what the mac is for.

The FNC is a real battle weapon, like the RR16....but your negitives only apply if its apples to apples, but its not. Its $9500 versus $25K, of course there will be disadvantages.

Ive also never heard of a blown out fnc barrel and threre are replacements.

Link Posted: 12/11/2014 7:00:33 PM EDT
[#13]
FNCs are nice guns (I have two of them  an 18" fixed and a 16" folder) but as mentioned above they have some issues/limitations that make them  more affordable on the pricing spectrum of 5.56 caliber machineguns.

While they may be a "bargain" being priced around $10K, my personal take is that a registered receiver M16 @$15K is well worth the $5,000ish uplift over an FNC.

While FNCs are robust they do break. Spend time on the FNC board and it seems at least once or twice a year somebody broke something and comes looking for parts.  These guns are all 25+ years old at this point and they do have a finite lifespan.   The barrels are really no tougher than any other thinner profile assault weapon barrel and you will be lucky to see 10,000rds out of one with heavy full auto usage  (to the point where the bullets start to tumble).   You could probably kill a FNC barrel in a single range trip if you are overzealous and put too many rounds through it without letting it cool.

Granted the good thing is that barrels are availble so you can replace them, but it is a send out for service type of affair for the majority of owners, similar to an HK replacement.

If you can save $10,000 for what is essentially a range toy, I always suggest most folks try and save another $5 to 6,000 and buy a RR M16 like an SGW, Frankfort Arsenal, or a SP1 conversion as it opens up so much more variety and the ability to self repair with basic tools.

If you already have an M16 and want something different to round out your collection, FNCs are great shooters and are an interesting piece of import history to expand a collection.

I take an FNC out maybe once a year and put it into rotation on the firing line and it might get 3 to 5 mags over the course of an afternoon.  However, I certainly dont think about ever locking a beta mag into one and letting it rip like I do with an M16.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 1:30:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
FNCs are nice guns (I have two of them  an 18" fixed and a 16" folder) but as mentioned above they have some issues/limitations that make them  more affordable on the pricing spectrum of 5.56 caliber machineguns.

While they may be a "bargain" being priced around $10K, my personal take is that a registered receiver M16 @$15K is well worth the $5,000ish uplift over an FNC.

While FNCs are robust they do break. Spend time on the FNC board and it seems at least once or twice a year somebody broke something and comes looking for parts.  These guns are all 25+ years old at this point and they do have a finite lifespan.   The barrels are really no tougher than any other thinner profile assault weapon barrel and you will be lucky to see 10,000rds out of one with heavy full auto usage  (to the point where the bullets start to tumble).   You could probably kill a FNC barrel in a single range trip if you are overzealous and put too many rounds through it without letting it cool.

Granted the good thing is that barrels are availble so you can replace them, but it is a send out for service type of affair for the majority of owners, similar to an HK replacement.

If you can save $10,000 for what is essentially a range toy, I always suggest most folks try and save another $5 to 6,000 and buy a RR M16 like an SGW, Frankfort Arsenal, or a SP1 conversion as it opens up so much more variety and the ability to self repair with basic tools.

If you already have an M16 and want something different to round out your collection, FNCs are great shooters and are an interesting piece of import history to expand a collection.

I take an FNC out maybe once a year and put it into rotation on the firing line and it might get 3 to 5 mags over the course of an afternoon.  However, I certainly dont think about ever locking a beta mag into one and letting it rip like I do with an M16.
View Quote

Great points; and it's true, I've never put a Beta on my FNC like the M16.  I do like the 3 round burst though!
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 2:13:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Well I've been doing MG's since the late 80's.  I've got a couple M11/9 guns that haven't been shot in years.  Iirc one of them was my first MG.  That said I lost all interest in them.  At that time they were a one trick pony.  It with rof and short barrel I won't let anyone else shoot them.  I guess with R Lages stuff now they are a little more useful.  I do have a couple Uzis that go out every time.  Solid mil spec gun and with a can, something I feel safe letting a novice use and get that first MG smile.

I really think as a first mg, get something that is versatile.  Get an uzi.  I've got/ had other one trick guns, like FNC, AK, etc.  got rid of them.  Except for the M11 I've kept and the Thompson, I only keep versatile guns.  My .02 fwiw.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top