Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2014 10:42:40 AM EDT
hey all, I'm a former 45B and worked at the ordnance school teaching the M2 class, so I know Ma quite well....but I have a question:

On these $8,000 Semi Auto M2's, does anyone have a side by side picture of a FA vs a SA M2 side plate or a description of what on the side plate makes it semi? the top plate holds the bolt latch and all that, so what is the deal with the Right side plate making it semi?
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 11:07:48 AM EDT
[#1]
The SA plate is thicker than the FA plate.......that way FA parts will not fit inside the "box".......
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 11:18:11 AM EDT
[#2]
no shit. ok then that makes perfect sense. thanks!
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 2:34:54 PM EDT
[#3]
The term used to describe the thicker blocking area on the side plate is "denial island."

So it's not just a counseling retreat you attend with your significant other.

OK, last lame joke of the day. No promises.

Link Posted: 9/25/2014 9:51:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The term used to describe the thicker blocking area on the side plate is "denial island."

So it's not just a counseling retreat you attend with your significant other.
OK, last lame joke of the day. No promises.
View Quote

haha I love that one. My friend was just asking me the other day why the inside of his AR15 looked different than my M16....

Denial Island!
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:18:14 AM EDT
[#5]
u guys are such kidders haha
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 5:15:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
hey all, I'm a former 45B and worked at the ordnance school teaching the M2 class, so I know Ma quite well....but I have a question:

On these $8,000 Semi Auto M2's, does anyone have a side by side picture of a FA vs a SA M2 side plate or a description of what on the side plate makes it semi? the top plate holds the bolt latch and all that, so what is the deal with the Right side plate making it semi?
View Quote

That might not be the only way to get a semi M2 design, but it does form the basis of most of the approved US beltfed semi conversions currently out there.

ATF requires that the receiver of a semi version of a machinegun be different from the machinegun version in a way which precludes easy installation of unmodified full auto parts, but judges each different firearm design individually.

On most of these belt feds, the ATF arbitrarily decided that the right side plate was the "firearm frame or receiver" because that was where the US Army Ordnance Dept. decided to stamp them with serial numbers and model information, so it is the right side plate of most semi belt feds which has to be different from the machinegun right side plate.

There have been semi side plate designs which used blocking pins or riveted and welded-in blocks to accomplish the purpose of preventing installation of full auto fire control components in addition to the more common denial island.  It's just that the denial island is really, really inexpensive and easy to do when you're making side plates from scratch by conventional or CNC milling.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:43:51 PM EDT
[#7]
thanks for all of that.

so is there some semi bolt that is made differently that only fits into the semi guns? the sideplates have nothing to do with the functioning. anyone have a pic of that parts they are trying to deny into the gun? like its the sear on an AR, what is it for the M2?
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 12:29:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
thanks for all of that.

so is there some semi bolt that is made differently that only fits into the semi guns? the sideplates have nothing to do with the functioning. anyone have a pic of that parts they are trying to deny into the gun? like its the sear on an AR, what is it for the M2?
View Quote

The semi bolts are modified by first altering them to no longer take a full auto sear and trigger, then machining them to pass the blocking bars or denial island.  Most designs also modify the barrel extension and lock frame, but the important part is converting the bolt to no longer take a GI full auto sear, and then producing a semi-only sear/trigger design to fit the semi bolt.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:03:04 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The semi bolts are modified by first altering them to no longer take a full auto sear and trigger, then machining them to pass the blocking bars or denial island.  Most designs also modify the barrel extension and lock frame, but the important part is converting the bolt to no longer take a GI full auto sear, and then producing a semi-only sear/trigger design to fit the semi bolt.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

thanks for all of that.

okk. so bolt it is. makes sense. i will have to look them up. id like to see a semi sear. thanks!

EDIT: got it!

http://www.m2hb.net/m2phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3555
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top