Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2014 11:14:07 AM EDT
Disclaimer: I don't work for Shockwave, and aren't receiving any kickback by mentioning the mags, but this is a pretty huge thing in the world of NFA Macs, so I felt it was worth mentioning.

Shockwave Technologies finally released their ZMags, which they took preorders for almost a year back. They're metal magazines that promise to work a ton better than the Zytels, and my 7 that I bought work flawlessly, way better than Promags. They're selling 32 round ones now, and will be making 50 round ones soon.

Good day to be a Mac owner.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 11:51:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Link?
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 3:47:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 7:40:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I just bought one and plan to test the shit out of it in three different M11/9's on S/A and F/A, stock upper and max11 upper, etc.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 12:31:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Unfortunately, several people appear to be having problems with them fitting very tight and rubbing against the bolt.
It's a shame, as the beta mags that were sent out for testing received rave reviews.

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 2:36:14 AM EDT
[#5]
supposedly they changed the specs on the mag width for the first 1k produced and will revert back to original beta specs for the next 1k.

Not sure why they didn't make it 34 or 36 rds instead of 30 rds.   Its basically a full auto market for these things.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 11:45:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I got recon ordinance mags that work just fine.
However, my pam 2 mags are a bit tight and will probably sell them one day.
We need mags for the max 31 would rule.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 8:41:26 AM EDT
[#7]
I tested the 30 round mag I'd pre-ordered. It was initially tight, but works fine after I relieved the Lage grip/magwell (the mag stop on the magazine hits it unless it is slightly relieved - 2 minutes with a file). Overall, I like these mags and have ordered some more.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 9:31:03 PM EDT
[#8]
So far I like these mags a lot. I shot three different types of ammo yesterday with the Zmags as a test.  All ran great including 147gr Winchester rounds that haven't fed well when using the Recon Ordnance mags.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 10:14:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Ran 4 in an M11/9 this weekend. One was too tight for the well. The other 3 ran flawlessly, locked in tight , did not drop free. Minimal bolt rub. Second production run is supposed to have smaller body dimensions. Overall, if they go in, they run.. Very happy but looking forward to the next batch,
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 2:22:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm completely happy with my batch of 6 in my 85-xxxxx gun. I had no magwell or bolt rubbing problems.

I understand the 86-xxxx guns are a lot more inconsistent in their welds and sizes. Some have a big blob weld on the back seam of the grip.

I also had to slightly relieve my Lage grip for the mag stop.. It took like 5 passes with a sharp knife. No big deal.

I'm completely OK with the larger mags.
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 11:25:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Not trying to be nit-picky, but it is Ordnance, not Ordinance. As an Army Ordnance Corps employee for the last 30 years, I just hate to see it used improperly.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 9:23:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Not trying to be nit-picky, but it is Ordnance, not Ordinance. As an Army Ordnance Corps employee for the last 30 years, I just hate to see it used improperly.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe both spellings are correct and have seen this word spelled both ways.  The "i-less" one is considered more "modern" (ie, since 1600s).  We can all blame the French for the confusion as it's a derived form of "ordenance" (older French as the modern French spells that differently too).

And of course with any spelling/word issues in English, we have to thank Shakespeare for the great vowel movement which caused all 3rd graders problems for generations (eg, knifes vs knives).

But to stay on topic, the best mag I like for the stock M11 is the converted Madsen mags.  Cheap and reliable.

Link Posted: 6/28/2014 8:47:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Hail Mary:

I believe both spellings are correct and have seen this word spelled both ways.  The "i-less" one is considered more "modern" (ie, since 1600s).  We can all blame the French for the confusion as it's a derived form of "ordenance" (older French as the modern French spells that differently too).

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Hail Mary:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Both words are 'correct' in that they are both words, but have completely different meanings.  An 'ordinance' is something the city passes to give you a parking ticket when you park by a hydrant.  Ordnance is explody stuff.
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 2:17:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Tested mine yesterday. All ran fine. Did have to file the older Practical mag catch on one as it was different than the RPB mag catch on the other. Richards grip now comes precut for these mags - fits fine.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 6:56:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Ran mine today. They run 100% with both 115 FMJ and the Aguila 117 gr. hollow points.

The hollow points running blew my mind. The mags must really be great as I couldn't get any of my PAM2 or Zytel mags to function at all with HP.

Wish I could say the same for the .22 kit......
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 12:38:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:Wish I could say the same for the .22 kit......
View Quote

Is your kit for the factory  upper or for the Max-11 upper?  I have the Max-11 upper and the Max-11 22 kit. The .22 kit runs great with the right ammo. For me that means Remington Golden Bullets or Federal bulk ammo. If you have the kit for the factory upper, you might want to contact Richard and see about getting your kit fitted to the upper.

As for the Shockwave mags, I preordered 6 for my 86 M11-9. They fit the magwell pretty good, but in order for the mag to latch, the bolt has to be pulled back. After that they work great with both 115 gr. and 147 gr. ammo. I used them with both the factory upper and the Max-11 upper. The bolt did "polish" the top of the feed lips and scratch a line in the plastic follower. The zytel mags that came with the gun are a friction fit and practically have to be forced into place.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 3:28:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Is your kit for the factory  upper or for the Max-11 upper?  I have the Max-11 upper and the Max-11 22 kit. The .22 kit runs great with the right ammo. For me that means Remington Golden Bullets or Federal bulk ammo. If you have the kit for the factory upper, you might want to contact Richard and see about getting your kit fitted to the upper.

As for the Shockwave mags, I preordered 6 for my 86 M11-9. They fit the magwell pretty good, but in order for the mag to latch, the bolt has to be pulled back. After that they work great with both 115 gr. and 147 gr. ammo. I used them with both the factory upper and the Max-11 upper. The bolt did "polish" the top of the feed lips and scratch a line in the plastic follower. The zytel mags that came with the gun are a friction fit and practically have to be forced into place.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:Wish I could say the same for the .22 kit......

It's a MAX-11. I think I am short stroking as most of my malfunctions are bad ejections getting stuck in the upper causing a malfunction. If it is PERFECTLY clean, it seems to run a couple mags before constant malfunctions start.

The 9mm function is incredible and perfect.

ETA - Rem GB and Fed bulk run for the first couple mags. It pretty well hates everything else except Stingers and Quick Shocks - but those are way too expensive and damn near impossible to find.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 4:12:46 PM EDT
[#18]
I know they are supposed to work in .380 guns that use the full length mag (m11a1) but has anyone varified fuction with .380?

Mike

PS.  "Unexploded ordinance" is a zoning problem about to hit the fan, "Armored Calvary" is a fortress outside Jerusalem, and I'm not sure what an "arms cachet" is but I'd carry one :D  I have actually seen all three in print by "journalists".
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 3:27:21 PM EDT
[#19]
My M11/9 was approved

Time to load up on mags!

Link Posted: 7/15/2014 7:51:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
My M11/9 was approved

Time to load up on mags!
View Quote

Jealous. Mine just barely made it to jail....

But I have access if I want!
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 12:14:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My M11/9 was approved

Time to load up on mags!
View Quote

You are going to have so much fun. If you haven't already, you'll find http://www.max-11.com an excellent source of high quality uppers for your new toy.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:53:00 AM EDT
[#22]
I've got 7 of the new mags and they're awesome!
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:50:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 3:05:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Bought two a while back and ran them through the M11 yesterday. They functioned flawlessly. Just ordered 4 more!

The ONLY issue is with the stock grip/stock, the stock has to be extended in order for the mag to fully seat as the stock arms block it a little. It's not a deal breaker though, just something to remember.

Quoted:

You are going to have so much fun. If you haven't already, you'll find http://www.max-11.com an excellent source of high quality uppers for your new toy.
View Quote

It's a blast, even stock. I can't wait i'm next in line to get my Max-31 upper.

Link Posted: 12/27/2014 10:36:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Any word on the 50 round variants yet?
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 2:10:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Check the shockwave website, last I heard is that they were off to get coated/painted
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 10:42:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Can't wait for the 50rd
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 9:37:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Any range reports?
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 12:11:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Any range reports?
View Quote

100% reliable, they are compatable with the LULA loader, too.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 10:30:58 AM EDT
[#30]
How do the followers hold up with long term use/high round count?

Do they wear?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top