Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2016 11:49:57 AM EDT
Someone also commented in another thread that steel ball bearings are also used in the anti-personnel shot shells used in main battle tanks. Why was steel chosen? Cost, treaties, resistance to deformation, detectability (of both a live mine and foreign material within a surviving casualty)? Do any modern shrapnel-producing weapons project anything other than steel?

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 11:52:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Probably because lead is so soft.

Steel ball bearings would penetrate body armor better
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 11:57:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Probably because lead is so soft.

Steel ball bearings would penetrate body armor better
View Quote

To elaborate:

Claymores are really a "fuck everything" kind of weapon.  The ball bearings are pretty large so they don't need to deform to make big nasty wounds on people.  The hardened steel rips through vehicles and equipment, killing and destroying pretty much everything.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 11:59:31 AM EDT
[#3]
How much better? It doesn't take good armor to stop shrapnel. Conversely, would the use of lead balls increase the maximum effective range of the weapon?

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 12:02:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
How much better? It doesn't take good armor to stop shrapnel. Conversely, would the use of lead balls increase the maximum effective range of the weapon?  
View Quote

Lead is denser than steel, therefore, for the same volume of projectiles, the lead will be heavier, accelerate slower, and travel shorter.

ETA:  A lot better.  these projectiles are being propelled by C4.  They're going fast as all hell.  Something as soft as lead is going to deform tremendously at the slightest interference of their path.  Result would be that it drops almost all the energy in the first obstacle it encounters.  Sucks for that first guy, but the guy behind him may be ok.  In addition, remember that there are hundreds of these ball bearings; the first guy is dead no matter what, assuming the mine was placed correctly.  The goal then becomes not just destroying the 2D target, but penetrating deeper to anyone/anything that's behind it.

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 12:05:34 PM EDT
[#5]
If the same projectile weight was used (instead of volume), would the result be greater range and less coverage density?
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 12:07:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Steel doesn't melt and evaporate when the C4 explodes.  The original ball bearings were too small and fragmented (versus being pushed).
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 12:09:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If the same projectile weight was used (instead of volume), would the result be greater range and less coverage density?
View Quote

You would get the same range and less coverage density because you have less material to cover the same target area.  Also, see my above edit
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 12:10:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I wonder if lead would be so soft as to fragment and be less effective due to the super rapid exceleration from the C4. Im not an enginereer, where is Keith J when you need him...
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 12:10:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I wonder if lead would be so soft as to fragment and be less effective due to the super rapid exceleration from the C4. Im not an enginereer, where is Keith J when you need him...

View Quote

#FreeKeith_J

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 12:14:18 PM EDT
[#10]
IIRC the MILSPEC says the ball bearing are traveling 4000 fps

We functioned around 140 of em a few years back... pretty effective defoliant
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 12:18:28 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm getting that the deformation of lead is a big problem both upon firing and upon the initial impact of each projectile. Resistance to the flash temperature also makes sense. I understand now why hardened steel was the best choice. Velocities with these weapons are so high, that nothing is really lost in terms of long-range performance. By the time velocity is reduced enough to limit effectiveness, the spread is so great that hits are unlikely. Lead shot would end up flying slower than steel in any case, due to initial deformation.

Thanks guys!

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 12:20:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Steel is harder and will pierce armor
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 12:24:13 PM EDT
[#13]
The 120mm M1028 Cannister round that the Abrams tank uses, is filled with Tungsten balls, not steel.

M1028
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 12:29:29 PM EDT
[#14]
OK cool, thanks. I suppose foreign military canister shot is also commonly tungsten? Would depleted uranium be even better?

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 12:38:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
OK cool, thanks. I suppose foreign military canister shot is also commonly tungsten? Would depleted uranium be even better?  
View Quote

I feel like DU would obviously work better, but to the point of diminishing returns with contamination and cost issues that would don't have with Tungsten.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 12:44:16 PM EDT
[#16]
I agree.

Maybe tungsten canister shot isn't common among world militaries. According to this document, development of the M1028 didn't begin until around 2000, and it was in response to concerns of human wave attack by North Koreans. Looks like they experimented with several projectile materials and shapes.

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 1:45:37 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Lead is denser than steel, therefore, for the same volume of projectiles, the lead will be heavier, accelerate slower, and travel shorter.

ETA:  A lot better.  these projectiles are being propelled by C4.  They're going fast as all hell.  Something as soft as lead is going to deform tremendously at the slightest interference of their path.  Result would be that it drops almost all the energy in the first obstacle it encounters.  Sucks for that first guy, but the guy behind him may be ok.  In addition, remember that there are hundreds of these ball bearings; the first guy is dead no matter what, assuming the mine was placed correctly.  The goal then becomes not just destroying the 2D target, but penetrating deeper to anyone/anything that's behind it.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/70/65/48/706548c2845375da8d7ddff95bc7416c.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/70/65/48/706548c2845375da8d7ddff95bc7416c.jpg
Well, you're wrong on the first bit, but right on the second bit.  The lead will travel farther due to being denser, IE more mass per unit of surface area.  Less drag, more energy.  However lead doesn't do well in a detonation of 26,550 ft/s.

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 3:16:31 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm not finding the detailed results, but apparently this was all studied as part of the CIAP program about 6 years ago while researching a replacement for the M576 40mm cartridge. They refer to testing lead, steel, and tungsten shot.
http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2010armament/WednesdayLandmarkBStephenSwann.pdf

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 3:45:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 3:56:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That's a lot of canned "Fuck You"...

http://youtu.be/Cgn1nhUEgo8
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The 120mm M1028 Cannister round that the Abrams tank uses, is filled with Tungsten balls, not steel.

M1028

That's a lot of canned "Fuck You"...

http://youtu.be/Cgn1nhUEgo8

Wow.  Did not know that.  Learned something new.  Riot control at its best!
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 4:02:39 PM EDT
[#21]

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 5:55:19 AM EDT
[#22]
As far as 120mm Can, I always liked our Beehive/ Beehive timed in the 105mm on the M60 series.
Flechettes are cool, & we could set them for use at extended range.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 6:18:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It doesn't take good armor to stop shrapnel.
View Quote

It depends on the fragmentation.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 7:02:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Probably because the shit's heavy as fuck, and steel works fine.

Also, I don't think you grasp just how hard claymores hit... lead wouldn't just get deformed, a lot of it would probably vaporize.

ETA- 700 projectiles at almost 4k fps for the claymore.  

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 10:32:34 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It doesn't take good armor to stop shrapnel.

Yeah, I've been reading about that. Apparently shrapnel can have extremely high velocities, as compared to the more generalized term "fragmentation" mostly because the shot is projected in one direction. I also found several instances where shrapnel penetrated body armor easily, including some US troops who placed an IBA vest some distance from the front of a Claymore during training, after someone said it would stop the ball bearings. It didn't.

Madcap72, I really didn't until I read more about the velocity they generate and the effects of such rapid acceleration. I can easily see now why lead wasn't up to the task. I guess tungsten wasn't worth the extra cost and weight for a mine which is already highly effective. I'd like to play with some on a training range. They look fun, as long as you're not on the receiving end.

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 1:00:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Human wave attack by the crazy north koreans . Screw the claymore .Thats what the M134 Minigun is for . Think of the mess that would cause with multiple miniguns or bradleys with the chainguns firing .  lol Wave attack only morons would attempt something like that commanded by some little fat turd lunitic dictator from N korea.

As for steel ball bearings they fly faster and hurt more the lead . Claymores job is to rip everything to shreds that its facing and lead would deform or mushroom up in its target.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 10:43:23 PM EDT
[#27]
if you want to stop human waves, Mk19s are what you seek.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 10:50:47 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Madcap72, I really didn't until I read more about the velocity they generate and the effects of such rapid acceleration. I can easily see now why lead wasn't up to the task. I guess tungsten wasn't worth the extra cost and weight for a mine which is already highly effective. I'd like to play with some on a training range. They look fun, as long as you're not on the receiving end.

View Quote

Yea.  If claymore operated at a normal pressure of a firearm, lead would be fine.  But high explosives, and the rate at which they accelerate causes incredible heat and pressure.

I didn't get to ever fire a live one, but in the Marines in SOI they would let each platoon pop one off for training.  The things are straight up nasty.

One thing I did get to make and fire off later (also training, just in the fleet), was a stick of C4 in a roll of barbed wire known as a beehive charge (at least to us).  While not as directed or far reaching as a claymore they were vicious as well.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 8:34:47 AM EDT
[#29]
It's like none if y'all were around for the switch from lead to steel for hunting waterfowl.

Lead is more dense, flies farther for same size, deforms more than steel. Lead splashes on metal targets. My swag is lead shot turns to liquid on top of C4 explosive.

Hardened steel or tungsten is only option.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 3:22:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
It's like none if y'all were around for the switch from lead to steel for hunting waterfowl.

Lead is more dense, flies farther for same size, deforms more than steel. Lead splashes on metal targets. My swag is lead shot turns to liquid on top of C4 explosive.

Hardened steel or tungsten is only option.
View Quote

More like "aersolized liquid" or vaporized.

The frag is moving about 1/3rd the pressure wave: C-4 21,000 fps so about 7,000 fps and then rapidly dying off.

Hardened steel and tungsten can crack & shatter without a buffer, which within 50 feet isn't a biggie but the more jagged the terminal ballistics peter out right quick with shards.

Certain steel BB's are used that deform but stay together and stay semi-spherical.

~Will
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top