Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2016 9:42:29 PM EDT
Does anyone have any experience with the 40mm Practice chalk rounds (M781's) in regards to Colorado law? Ive been doing some research this weekend anticipating form 1'ing a LMT m203 receiver and am now somewhat perplexed by these practice rounds.

I have been reading all the information about these rounds at the federal level, and the most recent hooplah with the ATF.

Here in Colorado, We need to have a Type 1 Explosives permit for any 1.4 an 1.5 and Binary products however

I've seen the cases of chalk rounds marked with a 1.4G explosive placard, and I know that most legal "ground" fireworks are listed under 1.4G, which are legal to own in Colorado. However, there are some fireworks that are 1.4G and are not legal(mostly ones that leave the ground)

Also, do these 40mm rounds have more that 50G of explosive in them? That should be the end all answer for me.

Just don't want a case of them shipped here and I end up getting in hot water because someone sees the placard and calls me in and for some reason I have to have a Type 1 CO explosives permit.

Thanks,
NM
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 11:00:54 PM EDT
[#1]
The M781 has less than 6 grains of propellant in them.  The projectile is a zinc cast slug with a driving band for the rifling.  On this zinc projectile is the blue plastic nose cone filled with orange chalk.  Not sure about CO legality but they don't have any explosive in them.  I have seen them shipped with ORM-D or Limited Quantity stickers for non governmental uses.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 10:23:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I thought the ATF killed M781 with there interpretation of DD's and explosives?
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 11:02:22 PM EDT
[#3]
The propellant/lift charge is basically a 38 special blank.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 9:05:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 11:34:44 PM EDT
[#5]
You sure about this?
Can GROG or someone else chime in?
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 1:44:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Nope not 100%, just what I found from a quick search.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 9:36:06 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm on the 40mm form and this was covered in depth.
40mm chalk is not a restricted item.
Unless something has recently changed.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 9:51:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Nothing changed. This all came about when agents were sent to take flares, and someone had cases of 781s with their flares. Agents there didn't know better, and took the 781s also. The visit from the FTB I had, the agent was specific about what they were here to take back. The flares that were not transferred legally from the manufacturer to the end user. It had nothing to do with explosives. Matter of fact, they transported the flares in a cardboard box in the back of their SUV, not in an explosives magazine... I watched this happen. The people that had 781s taken could petition to get them back, unless they voulentarily surrendered them and signed the property reciept. (Read the fine print...) I had several cases of 781, as well as military issue green foam tipped baton (basically the same thing as a 781 except with a plastic/foam bullet), and many other types of non-pyro, and older pyro that they did not ask for or take. I even showed the agent what I had remaining, and in his words, those are not regulated, or controlled, so they are FINE. They never had access to my property, nor did they ask to come in. (I have a gated fenced property with GSDs inside.) So, their visit was limited to asking for what they wanted from the end of my driveway, and explaining why they wanted it, and waited there until I went and got it. I ended up getting a full refund for what they took back, so to me, it is a non-issue. I've explained this here before, so hopefully, this time it will sink in. :)  GROG

PS, do I think it was wrong? I think the ruling is wrong, and am in the process of trying to fight it, to help future generations avoid this type of stuff. The agents had little choice as to what their bosses ordered them to do. I don't blame them, or hold ill will towards them. I too was an LEO and understand orders, even those you do not agree with. None of them seemed happy to have to bother me. Everyone was polite, and professional, including me.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 3:29:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for posting this again GROG.
I think it's important and valuable to put this info out there any time there is confusion.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 4:43:57 PM EDT
[#10]
We used to use them up at the Pawnee Grasslands all the time.  Had several BLM or rangers see us and no one ever said anything.

The ones Cain used were the ones the the .38 casings and like 4 grains of powder.  He used to make his own rounds
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top