Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2015 11:35:29 PM EDT
i loaded 100 or so ups few years back with the green box Remington blanks it seemed to be a bit more powerful than it should be

Will these work?
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:00:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Find out how many grains of powder is acceptable.

Then open up one of those and weigh the powder, if its the right amount you should be GTG.

Also, try grogs forum which is dedicated to these types of things.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 4:34:17 PM EDT
[#2]
If you knew what the powder was, that would work...good luck finding that nugget.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 8:03:20 AM EDT
[#3]
M9 propellant. Closest thing in the civvie world is Bullseye. If done right, 5-7 grains will get you there. You can use 38 casings cut down, and a round over crimp die. The factory rounds now use a brass closing disc and a small piece of what looks like blue thin polymer disc. The primers are a special soft copper that work sweet in my 79. I managed to locate a supply of those for reloading other rounds and doing T&E, which saves on retakes. But, I digress... Reloading the 781 blank is a simple process that can be done, with the right powder and closing method. You will need a crimp of some type, to allow the pressure to build. Also, make sure you seal the zinc well, as this adds to compression too. GROG
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 8:13:10 AM EDT
[#4]

...or you can buy them direct from the manufacturer brandy new:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=503451388

GROG
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 2:34:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't know about the blanks above, but I have reloaded my own by knocking the 38 S&W blank out.  Replace the primer, load with 5.7 grain of titegroup and top with 2 discs cut out of the bottom of aluminum cans.  Seat the whole thing back in the plastic case taking care to keep the discs on top.  I cut the discs using a disc cutter I bought on amazon.  I worked up to that load and don't really want to go higher.  I don't use any filler, so the powder does have room to move in the case, but it works.  Shoots my recovered zinc pretty well.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:40:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Those Winchester blanks are pretty powerful.  I had bought a couple of boxes of them myself a couple of years ago thinking we could use them for chalk rounds.  We fired some in a revolver to see how they felt and decided after one round we were not going to use them in chalk rounds.  We did use them for lift charges with a 60mm mortar.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top