Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2015 2:32:04 PM EDT
What could I put inside of those hollow 20mm HE projectiles and not run afoul of NFA.

Talcum powder
aluminum powder
dye

Thoughts? Would they even fracture/crush or just penetrate?

http://www.cdvs.us/20mm-Vulcan-Saphe-gln-yellowred-projectile-10-projectile-pack-P635.aspx
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 7:27:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Shooting it out of a DD, flare gun, or muzzleloading cannon?
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 10:33:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Just a thought. How about taking an old ABC fire extinguisher dump out the powder. Then get some orange chalk line chalk and mix the two together. You will get a light orange powder that has potential to put out small fires. :)
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 7:47:15 AM EDT
[#3]
People put chalk in the practice grenades but I doubt a 20mm Round would have enough internal volume to notice on impact.

If not shooting it put whatever you want in it aside from the explosives
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 2:38:22 PM EDT
[#4]
This is for my live 20x102. Regular TP rounds punch big holes through metal, but it would be cool to have a chalk cloud or dye or something.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 2:56:14 PM EDT
[#5]
<1/4 oz of IM-11 to keep under the DD threshold

50-50 mix of Magnalium Powder and Barium Nitrate.    Magnesium or possibly aluminum powder could probably be substituted for the Magnalium with similar results.

It should give a nice flash and pop on impact.

For comparison a 50 cal M8 API round contains 0.025 oz of IM-11 so you should be able to still make a good pop/flash will remaining a non DD.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 5:12:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

50-50 mix of Magnalium Powder and Barium Nitrate.    Magnesium or possibly aluminum powder could probably be substituted for the Magnalium with similar results.

For comparison a 50 cal M8 API round contains 0.025 oz of IM-11 so you should be able to still make a good pop/flash will remaining a non DD.
View Quote

All available on amazon :)
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 12:50:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wouldn't the force of the round being shot cause it to explode in the chamber/barrel?

I could be wrong, im far from an explosives expert.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 9:27:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Wouldn't the force of the round being shot cause it to explode in the chamber/barrel?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No that mix has been launched in bullets for close to 100 years.   To be belt and suspenders safe though it should be compressed so it does not move around inside the projectile.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 10:39:12 PM EDT
[#9]
whats the going rate for a HEI 20mm projo without a fuse or cap?
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 8:26:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
whats the going rate for a HEI 20mm projo without a fuse or cap?
View Quote

$3 at the same link
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 9:32:14 PM EDT
[#11]
If you want to go redneck, a piece of ferro rod should be pretty festive when shot at steel.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 9:03:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Is IM11 just the powders mixed and poured in, compressed, or with some sort of binder?
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 6:26:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Is IM11 just the powders mixed and poured in, compressed, or with some sort of binder?
View Quote

On the 50, the powders are poured in, then compressed during the remaining  bullet swaging processes.  I'm not sure how it is done with the 20mm.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top