Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/7/2015 12:41:13 PM EDT
I was set on buying a LMT 40mm launcher, but now have the opportunity to pick up a Colt for about $1000 more than the LMT. Are the Colts worth the premium? Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 5:02:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Not unless the prancing pony rollmark is worth $1000 to you.

LMT has better QC and tighter tolerances than Colt, but many people want a name more than quality.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 6:40:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 7:02:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I love Colt  but not worth that grand more in this case
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 7:19:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Not unless the prancing pony rollmark is worth $1000 to you.

LMT has better QC and tighter tolerances than Colt, but many people want a name more than quality.
View Quote

He's right. ^^^

Even if the prices were the same, I'd take the LMT.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 8:43:10 PM EDT
[#5]
That's interesting - I would have thought Colts would be more desirable than LMTs, especially in the QC department. Looks like it's pretty unanimous to go for the LMT then. Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 8:46:09 PM EDT
[#6]
It's worth mentioning as well that the M203 was designed under the direction of the Army by AAI.

I'm not sure exactly who owns the intellectual property to the TDP currently, but AAI does not seem particularly interested in manufacturing them for commercial sales, and it's a fair bet that unlike the AR15/M16/M4, which were commercial developments first, then adopted by the military, and the TDP is owned by a private concern, and thus under specific licensing and use agreements - the M203 does not seem to have the same restrictions.  

Therefore, anyone who has received a contract to build the M203 appears to have access to and be able to use it for commercial sales, similar to the "SOPMOD stock."  

Basically, for all intents and purposes, except for specific configuration, all M203s should essentially be identical besides what's stamped on the side, so it's really simply a matter of which you can get cheapest, and which company you like better.  

Personally, I'd really love to get an Airtronic M203 if I had a choice!  

~Augee
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 8:51:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That's interesting - I would have thought Colts would be more desirable than LMTs, especially in the QC department. Looks like it's pretty unanimous to go for the LMT then. Thanks!
View Quote

Colt's tend to bring a higher price-tag because... well, I don't know why, see the above.  But you'd also be paying $1,000 more.  

If you're not interested in re-sale or investment, I wouldn't worry and buy what's cheaper.  

Colt at least has the allure with the 1911 and AR15 of being the "originators" of the design (the AR15 had to be modified quite a bit from the original ArmaLite prototypes and design that they acquired in 1959 to be ready for production, though the basic design was completed).  

Colt did, IIRC, get the first wide scale contract for manufacture once adopted by the military, but they were simply manufacturing AAI's design.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 3:07:59 AM EDT
[#8]
My friend from gunsmith school later serviced every make of M203 in military inventory under contract. He stated the LMT units are the best. He also discovered many receivers had to be deadlined due to hard use manipulating the barrel via an attached VFG. This was prematurely wearing out the rails.

I just have a LMT unit and an additional AirTronic barrel, but the barrels appear to be the same quality.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 10:03:54 AM EDT
[#9]

KAC also makes (or made) an M203. You can find them for sale from time to time.

IIRC, I think the LMT M203 breach opens more

Link Posted: 6/21/2015 2:01:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I have both Colt and LMT 203's. The early LMT and Colt are identical but my new LMT just mounts straight to the weapon via picatinny rail without the need of locking into the barrel nut and then then using the "hanger" up front to hold onto the barrel.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:10:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My friend from gunsmith school later serviced every make of M203 in military inventory under contract. He stated the LMT units are the best. He also discovered many receivers had to be deadlined due to hard use manipulating the barrel via an attached VFG. This was prematurely wearing out the rails.

I just have a LMT unit and an additional AirTronic barrel, but the barrels appear to be the same quality.
View Quote

THIS!  I had a colt receiver, went through armorer school and had LMT ones side by side Colts......  Sold my Colt and bought an LMT.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:01:04 PM EDT
[#12]
i got a LMT, and im a Colt fanboy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top