Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2014 8:19:46 PM EDT
Let's say one has a redgestered D.D. 37 mm launcher. The same person makes a fragmatation projectiles but keeping the bursting charge under 1/4 oz. The fragments will be steel bb  or the like.
Would this be legal to have shoot?
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 8:56:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 10:01:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Have to register each projectile
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 10:26:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Even if the charge is under 1/4 oz?
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 10:43:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I gess im the only one that saw that in the op  if the ammo is not considered a dd then its legal if the launcher is registered thats the deal with 37mm if you want to shoot anti personelle type rounds the launcher has to be a registered dd
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 1:54:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I gess im the only one that saw that in the op  if the ammo is not considered a dd then its legal if the launcher is registered thats the deal with 37mm if you want to shoot anti personelle type rounds the launcher has to be a registered dd
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

OK.  To shoot any anti-personnel/anti-material rounds out of it, the launcher must be a registered DD.

Any ammunition which explodes and in doing so propels shrapnel or uses concussion to injure/kill someone would also have to be registered as a seperate DD, per round of ammunition.  

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 3:15:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Let's say one has a redgestered D.D. 37 mm launcher. The same person makes a fragmatation projectiles but keeping the bursting charge under 1/4 oz. The fragments will be steel bb  or the like.
Would this be legal to have shoot?
View Quote

It is my opinion that each of the 'Fragmentation Projectiles' would each be a DESTRUCTIVE DEVICE based on the following:

The National Firearms Act regulates a destructive device. Destructive device refers to a firearm or explosive device such as grenades, mines, missiles, weapons and semi-automatic shotguns. Few states have banned transfer of destructive devices to civilians, although federal laws allow destructive devices. Military officers and law enforcement officers are permitted possession of such devices.

“The term 'destructive device' means
(1) any explosive, incendiary, or poison gas
[1](A) bomb,
[1](B) grenade,
[1](C) rocket having a propellent charge of more than four ounces,
[1](D) missile having an explosive or incendiary charge of more than one-quarter ounce,
[1](E) mine, or
[1](F) similar device;

(2) any type of weapon by whatever name known which will, or which may be readily converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosive or other propellant, the barrel or barrels of which have a bore of more than one-half inch in diameter, except a shotgun or shotgun shell which the Secretary finds is generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes; and

(3) any combination of parts either designed or intended for use in converting any device into a destructive device as defined in subparagraphs (1) and (2) and from which a destructive device may be readily assembled.

The term 'destructive device' shall not include any device which is neither designed nor redesigned for use as a weapon; any device, although originally designed for use as a weapon, which is redesigned for use as a signaling, pyrotechnic, line throwing, safety, or similar device; surplus ordnance sold, loaned, or given by the Secretary of the Army pursuant to the provisions of section 4684(2), 4685, or 4686 of title 10 of the United States Code; or any other device which the Secretary finds is not likely to be used as a weapon, or is an antique or is a rifle which the owner intends to use solely for sporting purposes.” (26 USCS § 5845)

Additionally there is this:

http://www.atf.gov/files/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-95-3.pdf

Further, the “anti-personnel” ammunition to be used in the gas/flare launchers is ammunition for
destructive devices for purposes of the GCA. Any person manufacturing the “anti-personnel”
ammunition must have the appropriate Federal firearms license as a manufacturer of ammunition
for destructive devices. Any person importing the “anti-personnel” ammunition must have the
appropriate Federal firearms license as an importer of ammunition for destructive devices.

~Will
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 12:40:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Because said round is a projectile (aka missile for you dense folks) it falls under the 1/4 ounce rule period its NOT a hand grenade its NOT a mine its a projectile so 1/4 ounce rule
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 4:22:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Because said round is a projectile (aka missile for you dense folks) it falls under the 1/4 ounce rule period its NOT a hand grenade its NOT a mine its a projectile so 1/4 ounce rule
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That isn't what this says:

http://www.atf.gov/files/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-95-3.pdf

Quote from the BATFE: Further, the “anti-personnel” ammunition to be used in the gas/flare launchers is ammunition for
destructive devices for purposes of the GCA. Any person manufacturing the “anti-personnel”
ammunition must have the appropriate Federal firearms license as a manufacturer of ammunition
for destructive devices.

How does the Raufoss Mk 211 get arond that?  It fits your description as its a "missile" and "has less than 1/4 ounce of explosives" but most importantly is NOT anti-personnel

The bATFe is all kinds of messed up.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 5:43:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Well i did not know that about the ammo manufacturing so looks like im wrong.  If i remember raufoss has a penetrator or something like that made of a material on the illegal armor piercing list but i was never good at the 50 cal ammo varients while i was serving so i might be mixed up
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 7:23:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Well i did not know that about the ammo manufacturing so looks like im wrong.  If i remember raufoss has a penetrator or something like that made of a material on the illegal armor piercing list but i was never good at the 50 cal ammo varients while i was serving so i might be mixed up
View Quote

No worri s. What illegal a mor piercing list are you referring to?

Only one I r call is pistol ammo to s illegal to have AP ?

Link Posted: 10/9/2014 7:33:47 PM EDT
[#11]
OP has a registered DD.  He can legally shoot anti-personnel rounds from it. What he is asking about is a projectile. If I understand his description, basically a Bird Bomb using something other then rubber balls.

MAHA
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 11:38:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Holy Cow - this thread is full of bad info!

I don't know why anyone asks questions of anyone else on the internet.  NO ONE READS THE PUBLICATIONS!   OR CITES EXAMPLES in their meager opinions!

OP - please read the reference I cited.

ATF RULING

It says YES, each anti-personnel explosive item (no matter the weight) must be a registered DD (doesn't matter WHAT it is shot out of) and whomever constructs these anti-personnel explosive items MUST also have a Federal Explosives License.

Pretty clear and cited.

Cheers bro - stay safe!

~Will
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 10:10:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

ATF RULING

It says YES, each anti-personnel explosive item (no matter the weight) must be a registered DD
~Will
View Quote

That ruling that you linked to never mentions anything called an "anti-personnel explosive item." The only time it refers to an explosive is when talking about the propellant of the projectile. And then it says explosive or other propellant.

That ruling doesn't mention projectiles as destructive devices on their own at all. It only says that if an otherwise non-firearm, non-destructive device, 37/38mm flare/gas launcher is possessed while also possessing anti-personnel ammunition (wood/rubber pellets, bean bags as example), that the combination of those are both a firearm, and a destructive device. It never mentions the ammunition as being explosive or not.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 12:46:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dont remember what its called but there is or was at some point a list of materials that if used for the core or "penetrator" made the ammo illegal in some way its the reason you never find live rounds with du penetrators in them
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 1:06:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Holy Cow - this thread is full of bad info!

I don't know why anyone asks questions of anyone else on the internet.  NO ONE READS THE PUBLICATIONS!   OR CITES EXAMPLES in their meager opinions!

OP - please read the reference I cited.

ATF RULING

It says YES, each anti-personnel explosive item (no matter the weight) must be a registered DD (doesn't matter WHAT it is shot out of) and whomever constructs these anti-personnel explosive items MUST also have a Federal Explosives License.

Pretty clear and cited.

Cheers bro - stay safe!

~Will
View Quote

Well, I just read the example you cited in this post and don't see anything about "anti-personnel explosive items."  Not sure why you're so upset and questioning why people don't read what you post, when the info you post isn't relavent to the question being asked.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 2:35:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

if it's frag, by it's very nature it is Anti-personnel.......which is also one of the things that makes a Projo a DD
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 12:09:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Under 1/4 oz is ok, each round is not a DD.

Same reason Mk211 is not a DD for each round.

[1](D) missile having an explosive or incendiary charge of more than one-quarter ounce,
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 12:11:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

if it's frag, by it's very nature it is Anti-personnel.......which is also one of the things that makes a Projo a DD
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, if the launcher was not registered as a DD, then having Anti-personnel ammo and a 37mm launcher would be illegal possesion of a DD.

The launcher by itself is not a DD, and Anti-personnel rounds are not a DD.

Link Posted: 10/16/2014 3:13:20 PM EDT
[#19]
How would this be different than a 37mm Shotgun Shell?  

MAHA
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 4:01:26 PM EDT
[#20]
The different between this and a shotshell is. It will fly down range about 50 / 100 yards then the bursting charge will ignition and send the shot in all directions if done as an Ariel or if hit the ground the shot would be directed up and out.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 2:29:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The different between this and a shotshell is. It will fly down range about 50 / 100 yards then the bursting charge will ignition and send the shot in all directions if done as an Ariel or if hit the ground the shot would be directed up and out.
View Quote

There is a shell that shoots mermaids?  I'm in.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 4:22:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

MAHA
View All Quotes
Quoted:

MAHA

There is no difference.
A 37mm "shotgun shell" (which is nothing more than an antipersonnel round) WOULD require nfa tax and registration.

Quoted:
There is a shell that shoots mermaids?  I'm in.

lots of things shoot mermaids..
(none of these items FIND them, though.. which, of course, is the hard part)
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 8:59:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

There is no difference.
A 37mm "shotgun shell" (which is nothing more than an antipersonnel round) WOULD require nfa tax and registration.

View Quote

Please quote the law where you found this.

A 37mm anti personnel round is NOT a DD, however possession of such round with a 37mm launcher makes the launcher a DD, so the LAUNCHER better be registered.  The round does not.  

Link Posted: 11/6/2014 2:48:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

A 37mm anti personnel round is NOT a DD, however possession of such round with a 37mm launcher makes the launcher a DD, so the LAUNCHER better be registered. The round does not.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is no difference.

A 37mm anti personnel round is NOT a DD, however possession of such round with a 37mm launcher makes the launcher a DD, so the LAUNCHER better be registered. The round does not.

Unless the round contained more than the allowable amount of explosive, which IIRC INCLUDES the powder charge.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 10:58:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Unless the round contained more than the allowable amount of explosive, which IIRC INCLUDES the powder charge.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is no difference.

If that was the case, than 50 BMG and several other large cartridges would all be DDs.  It's clear with traditional cased ammo the propelling charge does not count towards the weight.

While I don't agree with it, it could be debated whether the propelling charge counts or not for something like a mortar where the propellant is contained within the "missile"
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 2:04:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

If that was the case, than 50 BMG and several other large cartridges would all be DDs.  It's clear with traditional cased ammo the propelling charge does not count towards the weight.

While I don't agree with it, it could be debated whether the propelling charge counts or not for something like a mortar where the propellant is contained within the "missile"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is no difference.

Look at the BATFE definition for "Destructive Device"  it EXEMPTS .50BMG...in fact it puts the limit at .50 Cal, which is why a Russian DSHK, or a Boys AT Rifle is considered a DD unless it has been re-barreled to .50 Cal  Grog is the expert here,  Im sure he'll let me know if i'm incorrect.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 2:40:45 PM EDT
[#27]
You are mixing two seperate definitions.

(1) any explosive, incendiary, or poison gas (D) missile having an explosive or incendiary charge of more than one-quarter ounce

(2) any type of weapon by whatever name known which will, or which may be readily converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosive or other propellant, the barrel or barrels of which have a bore of more
than one-half inch in diameter, except a shotgun or shotgun shell which the Secretary finds is generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes;

And then there are exceptions: The term ‘‘destructive device’’ shall
not include any device which is neither designed
nor redesigned for use as a weapon; any device,
although originally designed for use as a weapon,
which is redesigned for use as a signaling,
pyrotechnic, line throwing, safety, or similar device....or is an antique or is a rifle
which the owner intends to use solely for sporting
purposes.

A Russian DSHK, or a Boys AT Rifle is considered a DD because of (2)  the bore is more than half inch.  A 50 BMG is half inch so therefore not a DD.

If you contort (1)(D) to include propelling charges, then ETA: each round of 50 BMG would be a DD, which it is not.  

Missle is interpreted to mean the projectile, not the complete cartridge.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top