Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2014 2:46:38 PM EDT
Let's say hypothetically...

Person bought a WW2 Russian 50mm mortar from SARCO in the 960s. The mortar has the firing pin still in cup, no hole cut in the tube, and no cross bars welded inside the tube. Apparently this was legal to sell in the 1960s, is it still legal to own or sell under today's laws/regulations?

Link Posted: 9/13/2014 3:34:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Person bought a WW2 Russian 50mm mortar from SARCO in the 960s. The mortar has the firing pin still in cup, no hole cut in the tube, and no cross bars welded inside the tube. Apparently this was legal to sell in the 1960s, is it still legal to own or sell under today's laws/regulations?

View Quote

Hypothetically, a person who maintains OPSEC could file a form1 and have a legal mortar after they "reactivated" it.
Going to jail sucks so if you find yourself with an unregistered DD the thing to do is call ATF and turn it in. They will be glad to destroy it for you. Or maybe add it to their collection.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 4:12:01 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

View Quote

Hypothetically...well...fuck hypotheticals.

A mortar cup without a tube is a title 1 firearm, just like any rifle or pistol.  So IF one had a cup that was not attached to a tube, they could register it as a DD on a Form 1 and then acquire a tube for it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 4:16:36 PM EDT
[#3]
So it was legal to own in the 1960s when SARCO was selling them, but now it is illegal unless demilled.

I had a person ask about it at the store. She inherited the mortar from a deceased relative. I advised her that I thought it was a DD, but I wanted to make certain.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 4:36:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So it was legal to own in the 1960s when SARCO was selling them, but now it is illegal unless demilled.

I had a person ask about it at the store. She inherited the mortar from a deceased relative. I advised her that I thought it was a DD, but I wanted to make certain.
View Quote

Thank congress and the GCA1968
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 4:50:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View Quote

You need a stamp if you have the live cup and live barrel.  Live cups possessed without a barrel are title 1 firearms, just like M203 receivers from LMT that are live and complete, but transfer as a title 1 firearm if you buy it without the barrel.  Once you possess both you are in trouble without a stamp.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:18:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Should in theory buy it from her then.....  Well, ya know.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 2:40:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

the tube and cup need to be physically separates.....as in different locations NOT under the control of the same person.  the Cup can be registered via form 1, engraved, and then the tube and cup can be mated.  TOGETHER they are a DD.  Apart they are a title 1 firearm, and a piece of Pipe.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top