Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/8/2014 10:18:18 PM EDT
a local shop is brokering a bulgarian rpg and i was wondering what you would do with it after spending the $75,000 they're asking? where does one get the ammunition for it?

pics of the rpg:

Link Posted: 6/8/2014 10:41:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Can't help you too much with ammo; however, I can tell you that $75000 is absolutely insane.  It better come with a lifetime supply of ammo for that price.
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 11:08:33 PM EDT
[#2]
what's the going rate for a fully transferable rpg?
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 11:21:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Wouldn't rounds with explosive and require a stamp for every round?   Screw that if so.
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 11:29:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wouldn't rounds with explosive and require a stamp for every round?   Screw that if so.
View Quote

Yes, and you'd have to store them in an ATF approved explosive storage magazine, and get permits for transporting explosives if you were going to fire them anywhere else.

And there has  to be a zero accidentally added to that. You could reactivate a $1000 Numrich RPG7 perfectly for way less than 2K.
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 11:49:13 PM EDT
[#5]
wow, $75k for an RPG here, what do they cost in some third world shithole?
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 11:55:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

2 goats and maybe a decent rug.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 1:31:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

I remember watching a reporter walking around the markets of a middle eastern country and showing all kinds of crazy weaponry that could be naught for about $100
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 2:36:23 AM EDT
[#8]
There was a russian airborne model RPG-7D selling a few years ago for $10k.  Much more hard to get.  That unit is only overpriced $70,000 or so.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 2:39:40 AM EDT
[#9]
It's just a DD right?
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 2:42:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Bulgarian RPG

They also have a Russian mortar.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 1:19:25 AM EDT
[#11]
$75k might be worth it to an advanced collector if the RPG was original, unmodified and amnesty registered. A Form 1 or Form 2 reactivated unit will not command that price.

Transferable rockets are nonexistent. Imported DDs are not transferable and I've never heard of a domestic maker of RPG rockets. You could make your own, legally speaking, but it would be a real technical achievement to do so.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 4:06:00 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

$75k might be worth it to an advanced collector if the RPG was original, unmodified and amnesty registered. A Form 1 or Form 2 reactivated unit will not command that price.

Transferable rockets are nonexistent. Imported DDs are not transferable and I've never heard of a domestic maker of RPG rockets. You could make your own, legally speaking, but it would be a real technical achievement to do so.

View Quote
I imagine you could make training rounds as long as they don't meet the criteria for a DD?  

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 1:27:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I imagine you could make training rounds as long as they don't meet the criteria for a DD?  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are training rounds available, but they aren't rockets. You load a 7.62x39 cartridge into a training "rocket" and it fires the cartridge. Autowrapons has a few of them.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:48:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Damn, for $75,000 you can get a DeGrote made Mini Gun.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 11:02:21 PM EDT
[#15]
The $75,000 was incorrect.  It is actually $7500.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 10:38:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Just outta curiosity, what is the point of owning a DD RPG? (other than cool factor).  As stated above, you can by the trainer rounds that fire 7.62x39 rounds, but that's a very expensive single shot rifle.  With a 40mm launcher, there is a decent amount of ammo and reloading supplies out there and it makes sense to own one.  But with the RPG, unless there's some way to reload, I don't see the point.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 1:27:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Just outta curiosity, what is the point of owning a DD RPG? (other than cool factor).  As stated above, you can by the trainer rounds that fire 7.62x39 rounds, but that's a very expensive single shot rifle.  With a 40mm launcher, there is a decent amount of ammo and reloading supplies out there and it makes sense to own one.  But with the RPG, unless there's some way to reload, I don't see the point.
View Quote

It's way cooler than a postage stamp.
People collect things.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 1:44:57 AM EDT
[#18]
OP is reading deficient.  It's $7500 not $75000  Derp
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 12:41:07 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote
actually he isn't, it was originally posted for 75K and then changed to 7.5K later.

Link Posted: 6/25/2014 7:56:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
actually he isn't, it was originally posted for 75K and then changed to 7.5K later.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just think I had a HMVEE full of them that I just blew up
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 8:05:48 AM EDT
[#21]
it would be cheaper to buy some land in Kandahar, built a hut and head over to AllahuMart and buy a few.
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 9:03:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Rpg rounds are made in the USA. ATK I think. These went into production to supply the Iraqi army and the Afghan army.

I doubt you could buy one.

The specs exist and you could build non explosive rounds.
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 3:27:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 3:32:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Or use one of the Bulgarian subcaliber training rockets, which uses a 7.62X39mm tracer round.
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 8:48:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
IIRC, even if it's just propellant and no explosive, an RPG rocket with an inert warhead would still be a registrable DD, because the propellant would exceed the 1/4 oz rule.

Yea or nay?  

OTOH, there's unrestricted 26.5 and 37mm rocket flare cartridges so I'm confused.
View Quote

I don't think so.  The 1/4 ounce rule is if you are using a burst charge.  A DD is defined as a rocket that has more than 4 ounces of propellant. So, if it was a dummy round (filled with chalk or smoke maybe), you should be good.

I know the specs are out there, but I was thinking that the boost charge and sustainment motor would be the hardest thing to replicate to spec.  Would if you built an RPG from scratch (registered of course) and used composite model rocket engines to fire a round? Thoughts?
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 11:15:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 11:20:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I don't think so.  The 1/4 ounce rule is if you are using a burst charge.  A DD is defined as a rocket that has more than 4 ounces of propellant. So, if it was a dummy round (filled with chalk or smoke maybe), you should be good.

I know the specs are out there, but I was thinking that the boost charge and sustainment motor would be the hardest thing to replicate to spec.  Would if you built an RPG from scratch (registered of course) and used composite model rocket engines to fire a round? Thoughts?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
IIRC, even if it's just propellant and no explosive, an RPG rocket with an inert warhead would still be a registrable DD, because the propellant would exceed the 1/4 oz rule.

Yea or nay?  

OTOH, there's unrestricted 26.5 and 37mm rocket flare cartridges so I'm confused.

red jacket rigged a bazoka to fire model rockets.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 4:33:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea or nay?  

Well I have been considering one of these for the last few days. I was tossing around the idea of building aluminum tubing, cardboard and paper mache replica rockets using estes E12-0 motors. They have a 20-30 burn time and are rated for rockets of 16 ounces. They produce 2.69 pounds of thrust so I imagine for this application you could probably go heavier. All of this makes me wonder how they did the mock ups for the original "Red Dawn" Basically the dummy rocket doesn't have to be full detail replica, it only has to be able to fly relatively straight.

Initially I would probably use electrical ignition just to get the thing off the ground and eventually look into trying to get it to work using a large pistol primer to ignite the motor. The tricky part will be trying to get the blast from the primer to make the necessary 90* turn to the rocket motor. This might be able to be done with a short section of cannon fuse and a black powder booster. I have successfully used small pistol primers with used grenade fuses to light cannon fuse attached to smoke bombs (WWII reenacting). So I know the concept works. We will have to see. First would be to get a launcher and reactivate it. Technically that is the easiest part.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 11:43:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Carve the fake warhead out of a nerf football then it would be more or less reusable.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 3:47:26 PM EDT
[#30]
The mortar they want 6500 for on their site can be had for 2000 elsewhere.  Their prices are a wee bit high.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 2:12:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Carve the fake warhead out of a nerf football then it would be more or less reusable.
View Quote

Nerf foot ball heads are what we used to make up rifle grenades for the M1 when I used to do WWII reenacting. They worked great even using noise blanks and the elongated blank adaptor for the M1 the rest of the grenade was made from a caped peice of PVC with plactic fins glued on and shoved up in the base of the foot ball in a hole that was cut in it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:58:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Does an 'inert rocket with booster' mean it has the booster charge but no warhead?  Bigsky has those for sale.. .I'm not quite sure what they are though.  One would look neat on a desk or something at the very least.  

http://www.cdvs.us/RPG-2-C54.aspx
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:36:15 PM EDT
[#33]
I was in Jakarta,Indonesia 2011, and in the shopping mall's computer area, they were selling cd blueprints for making an RPG.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:25:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Does an 'inert rocket with booster' mean it has the booster charge but no warhead?  Bigsky has those for sale.. .I'm not quite sure what they are though.  One would look neat on a desk or something at the very least.  
http://www.cdvs.us/Assets/ProductImages/18167-_005.JPG
http://www.cdvs.us/Assets/ProductImages/18167-_006.JPG

View Quote

Those look like 73mm pg-9 rounds fired from the SPG-9 recoilless rifle and possibly some vehicle weapons but exactly which one escapes me.   To the best of my knowledge those are 100% inert training/ display pieces
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 1:58:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

There are training rounds available, but they aren't rockets. You load a 7.62x39 cartridge into a training "rocket" and it fires the cartridge. Autowrapons has a few of them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably for $75,000       OK, to be fair I've not had a bad experience with them.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 3:18:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Well I have been considering one of these for the last few days. I was tossing around the idea of building aluminum tubing, cardboard and paper mache replica rockets using estes E12-0 motors. They have a 20-30 burn time and are rated for rockets of 16 ounces. They produce 2.69 pounds of thrust so I imagine for this application you could probably go heavier. All of this makes me wonder how they did the mock ups for the original "Red Dawn" Basically the dummy rocket doesn't have to be full detail replica, it only has to be able to fly relatively straight.

Initially I would probably use electrical ignition just to get the thing off the ground and eventually look into trying to get it to work using a large pistol primer to ignite the motor. The tricky part will be trying to get the blast from the primer to make the necessary 90* turn to the rocket motor. This might be able to be done with a short section of cannon fuse and a black powder booster. I have successfully used small pistol primers with used grenade fuses to light cannon fuse attached to smoke bombs (WWII reenacting). So I know the concept works. We will have to see. First would be to get a launcher and reactivate it. Technically that is the easiest part.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea or nay?  

The "Red Dawn" rockets were attached to a wire that had been strung up zip line style to ensure they went where they wanted them to go.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 12:58:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Those look like 73mm pg-9 rounds fired from the SPG-9 recoilless rifle and possibly some vehicle weapons but exactly which one escapes me.   To the best of my knowledge those are 100% inert training/ display pieces
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://www.cdvs.us/Assets/ProductImages/18167-_005.JPG
http://www.cdvs.us/Assets/ProductImages/18167-_006.JPG

Yes you are correct.  BMP-1 with the 73mm smoothbore weapon.  

2A28 GROM
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 11:36:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Uhh what's the history on that and bow did it get here?  That's what makes all the difference.  One can guy a demilled one for around 1,000-1,500 and shoot training rounds with it or just hang on the wall as is.  Effectively the same as the "real" one for 75k.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top