Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/8/2014 12:58:40 PM EDT
There's been a recent growth in interest regarding how to get started in DD mortars, and to keep from completely hijacking a thread in GD, I've decided to start this one to cover reloading for the 60mm.

First, I feel obliged to include a link to all the information I have obtained regarding the 60mm and 81mm mortar systems, as well as associated manuals, drawings, and the like.
Mortar Manuals

In the following posts, I'll post the original 60mm firing tables in .jpg format.  The PDF is available using the link above.  Then, I'll explain what I've done to date in order to reload for the 60mm.

Link Posted: 6/8/2014 1:02:17 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 6/8/2014 1:04:19 PM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 6/8/2014 1:13:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Reloading information

I'll be basing all my information on reloading for the M69 fin assembly as used on my home-rolled projectile that I've made from an aluminum Bud Light bottle, plaster of Paris, and a billiard ball.

In a nutshell, I'm using over-charged, cut down, roll-crimped 20ga shotshell blanks that are press fit into the fin assemblies.

Powder:  I've successfully used Alliant Unique to create lift charges.  It seems to perform pretty well.

Hulls:  BPI Primed, Skived shotshells
Shotshells

Tools:
BPI Trim Doctor shotshell case tool
Trim Doctor

BPI Shotshell Hull Vise
Shotshell Vise

BPI Roll Crimper
Roll Crimper

Cardboard wads

Sharpie Marker

Link Posted: 6/30/2014 7:20:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Forgot to include photos of my propellant charges.  I'll be taking the mortar out on the 4th to get some data to build my loading tables for my diy dummy rounds.

Here's a basic charge with 50gr of Unique.  I put a cardboard wad on top and roll crimped the round.  I wrote the charge weight on the top.

I also marked the bottom using a scheme I came up with.  A full black bottom is 75gr, a half bottom is 50gr, and a quarter is 30gr.  I've only shot a couple of the 30gr loads, but I intend to try the larger ones out later this week.

I store them in a standard 20ga tray

I'm making up a batch of dummy rounds, so I hope I will be able to go shooting for a while later this week.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 5:29:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 5:59:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do you have any Wiz-Wheels??

I might have a couple floating around in my stuff at home.
View Quote

I don't.  I've been keeping my eye on ebay for them though.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 9:21:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 10:54:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Cool!  Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top