Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2014 11:10:14 AM EDT
I just want to get a couple of other opinions, I think I am correct but thinking gets me in trouble...

Cobray Street Sweeper with 18.5" barrel that has been registered as a destructive device. Since it is a DD, then the minimum shotgun barrel length doesn't apply, correct?

Since it is on the Form as having a 18.5" I would need to keep the 18.5" barrel along with the short barrel, that way I can "readily convert" the Sweeper back to the description on the form.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 12:57:21 PM EDT
[#1]
There's a reference to changes to NFA firearms on the ATF site - not exactly the right section but :http://www.atf.gov/faq-page/361#t361n12996

Long and short, as a DD feel free to cut the barrel back (as I did back then) - the ATF requests that you notify them of permament changes in configuration - for example cutting the barrel back.  I'm not sure how easy it to swap barrels should you get a spare - never tried to do so before getting rid of the SS.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 1:10:53 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There's a reference to changes to NFA firearms on the ATF site - not exactly the right section but :http://www.atf.gov/faq-page/361#t361n12996

Long and short, as a DD feel free to cut the barrel back (as I did back then) - the ATF requests that you notify them of permament changes in configuration - for example cutting the barrel back.  I'm not sure how easy it to swap barrels should you get a spare - never tried to do so before getting rid of the SS.
View Quote

Thanks for that bit of information. For some reason I had it in my mind that I would need to do another $200 tax to do a permanent change. That makes things that much easier and cheaper.

I knew it would pay to double check with the forum members...

Link Posted: 3/21/2014 1:42:41 AM EDT
[#3]
And when you send that letter in, they may reply to you in writing, in about a year, advising that the registry has been amended. But you will have fulfilled your obligation in any case.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 3:15:39 PM EDT
[#4]
You are correct. "Destructive Device" has no barrel length definition, thus you are free to shorten the barrel to any length you wish with no ATF notification or approval requirement.

However, you are incorrect in your assumption that you need to keep the original barrel somehow. There is no requirement to maintain the original barrel length in any way. You may cut that 18" to any length you wish and that's the end of it. You may notify ATF of the change in barrel length, but it is not necessary.

Rather than change the barrel, it is far easy and cheaper to simply cut what you have.  You will not easily find a spare Streetsweeper barrel for sale. and installing it is not easy.

One bit of caution in all this, you should confirm that your state agrees with the federal definition of "Destructive Device" here.  In cutting the barrel, you may be creating a "Short-Barrel shotgun" under state law while being perfectly compliant under federal.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 9:10:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Here is what I have done to my Cobray thus far.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top