BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 1:38:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yes... for the initial (first) build but since he doesnt have an 07/SOT license, he cant REBUILD it.

So since I bumped this..
Where's the pics?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Unless you want to send it to an DD manufacturer to fix it.
wouldn't WingNuts87 be the manufacturer?

Yes... for the initial (first) build but since he doesnt have an 07/SOT license, he cant REBUILD it.

So since I bumped this..
Where's the pics?

Since you asked, here's the first trial of casting the body.  I'm getting new molds and going to try it again this weekend for a more uniform frag matrix before wrapping the thing in Kydex.

Link Posted: 2/13/2014 2:55:19 AM EDT
[#2]
It's beautiful!
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 9:32:06 AM EDT
[#3]
You could wrap that thing up in a tennis ball and get a more "camouflaged" look.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 9:55:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I need to change my shorts right now.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 10:19:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll just hit the Subscribe button instead of typing "In!"  Oh wait...
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 10:22:33 PM EDT
[#6]
That is hilarious. We have a Destructive Devices forum but any talk about the DD themselves except "I have one" is prohibited.
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 12:29:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Since you asked, here's the first trial of casting the body.  I'm getting new molds and going to try it again this weekend for a more uniform frag matrix before wrapping the thing in Kydex.
http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a595/Wingnut116ACW/IMG_20140203_095333_zpsf042c2e8.jpg
View Quote
Looking good!

Edit: Statement redacted due to this apparently not being a discussion forum.

Link Posted: 3/5/2014 1:10:39 PM EDT
[#8]
One thing I would recommend is, using a plastic that will shatter and release the balls, rather than rip open at the weakest point and hold the matrix intact. If the plastic is soft, you will not get the grenade effect you are looking for. I also recommend searching a few explosives forums for RDX as a filler, instead of some sort of flash. You will need, of course, your explosives license, but if you are making a real grenade, a real DD, you might want to go there... Otherwise, you should just glue some BBs to an M80 and call it a day. Good luck, GROG
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 4:49:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
One thing I would recommend is, using a plastic that will shatter and release the balls, rather than rip open at the weakest point and hold the matrix intact. If the plastic is soft, you will not get the grenade effect you are looking for. I also recommend searching a few explosives forums for RDX as a filler, instead of some sort of flash. You will need, of course, your explosives license, but if you are making a real grenade, a real DD, you might want to go there... Otherwise, you should just glue some BBs to an M80 and call it a day. Good luck, GROG
View Quote

I whole-heartedly agree with GROG - except for the bold part.  That is technically a 'Destructive Device' or BATFE words for an illegal BOMB.

A low explosive, isn't REALLY an explosive, it is just a propellant that the initiation wave never breaks the speed of sound in the energetic material.

An example is a gunshot.  The sound wave is broken by the propellant igniting & being MECHANICALLY contained but there never is a DETONATION in the weapon.

RDX is ridiculously easy to make, although expensive.  Its about $500 for a pound if you make your own precursors.  Its WAY more expensive if you buy your precursers!

Next, fume control and RINSING the final product are the main issues - then the next issue would be igniting it.  You would need to then build your own blasting caps.

There have been many energetic/explosive chemists that have cut short their career due to blasting cap mishandling.

The most recent one I can recall is the incident out at Fort Carson in 2012 in which a well known energetic materials chemist was injured during training with an improvised blasting cap.

Best of luck!

Will
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 5:27:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I whole-heartedly agree with GROG - except for the bold part.  That is technically a 'Destructive Device' or BATFE words for an illegal BOMB.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's why this thread has an ATF-approved tax stamp associated with all build activities.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 7:21:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

How do we know you didn't read the thread title?
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 7:29:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That's why this thread has an ATF-approved tax stamp associated with all build activities.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hoo Boy.  I am not attacking this build.  Really.  I think its neat that somebody is doing this.  Its pushing the bounds, where others want to say blanket "NO" & "CAN'T DO THAT" - this is a "YES I CAN"

Which is more akin to AMERICAN instead of the AmeriCAN'T folks that are out there.

Your tax stamp covers your DEVICE - not "glue some BBs to an M80" which I felt that GROG was referring to a completely different device - UNLESS you attach your device to it in some manner... ?

'Attention to detail' - its good in this activity & endeavor.  

Link Posted: 3/8/2014 7:37:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Interdasting
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 8:33:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
 Hoo Boy.  I am not attacking this build.  Really.  I think its neat that somebody is doing this.  Its pushing the bounds, where others want to say blanket "NO" & "CAN'T DO THAT" - this is a "YES I CAN"

Which is more akin to AMERICAN instead of the AmeriCAN'T folks that are out there.

Your tax stamp covers your DEVICE - not "glue some BBs to an M80" which I felt that GROG was referring to a completely different device - UNLESS you attach your device to it in some manner... ?

'Attention to detail' - its good in this activity & endeavor.  

View Quote

Most definitely.  And let me assure you, this is far from gluing BBs to an M-80.  I actually did some filler tests today that went so well, I'm marking the filler question off my to-do list.  A pound of the binary filler I used was able to blow a sandbag in half, and I lost the metal stake the charge was attached to.  

When I can finally finish up this project, I'm going to go for land mines only because I CAN.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 10:17:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
....only because I CAN.
View Quote

This is what I enjoy about this thread.  Not the mechanism or the device, I get all that.

But the EXERCISE OF FREEDOM, that is the beauty of this endeavor!

~Will
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 8:02:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I whole-heartedly agree with GROG - except for the bold part.  
Will
View Quote

The bold part was an attempt at sarcastic humor. I know... Sarcasm is hard to read on the I-net. I was trying to point him in the right direction for his project. GROG
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 12:47:56 AM EDT
[#17]

I think this is my final design.  I need to take a file to the molding seam and skin it with vacuformed Kydex, but this is it.  I need to engrave my info and slap some digital desert camo paint on it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 1:00:53 AM EDT
[#18]
that's no moon.....

Link Posted: 3/21/2014 5:13:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a595/Wingnut116ACW/IMG_20140320_213622_zpsdaa89502.jpg

I think this is my final design.  I need to take a file to the molding seam and skin it with vacuformed Kydex, but this is it.  I need to engrave my info and slap some digital desert camo paint on it.
View Quote

It's FRAGTASTIC
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 5:14:38 PM EDT
[#20]
rdx filler or?
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 6:31:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
rdx filler or?
View Quote

Or.

Details are available on Grog's forum.  If he isn't accepting new members, IM me and I'll put you on the e-mail list for my build details.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 5:26:47 PM EDT
[#22]
If I may ask, do you have any state or local regulations to contend with when handling/storing explosives?

If grenades were commercially available I would totally throw down a thousand bucks or so on stamps to buy a half a dozen grenades.  The grenades themselves would probably be pretty inexpensive.

Congrats on your form 1.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:05:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If I may ask, do you have any state or local regulations to contend with when handling/storing explosives?

If grenades were commercially available I would totally throw down a thousand bucks or so on stamps to buy a half a dozen grenades.  The grenades themselves would probably be pretty inexpensive.

Congrats on your form 1.
View Quote

Sure, but my design and my approach forgoes any issues with the storage and transportation of high explosives.  That is the glorious simplicity of it.  I can store my completed and unloaded grenade in my suburban home without running afoul of any federal, state, or local laws/ordinances.  Takes less than a minute to make it ready to go.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:31:46 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
This is what I enjoy about this thread.  Not the mechanism or the device, I get all that.

~Will
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

....only because I CAN.

~Will

Uhm... no.

While I agree with the spirit of what you are saying... If he was exercising FREEDOM... he wouldn't have needed PERMISSION from the government.

Freedom is what you do without having to ask your overlords for permission.  

Rather, this is the exercise of privilege.  A privilege which can be taken away by the government that granted it with a simple stroke of the pen.

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:09:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Rather, this is the exercise of privilege.  A privilege which can be taken away by the government that granted it with a simple stroke of the pen.

View Quote

The pen, as they say, may be mightier than the sword.  But, the hand grenade is far mightier than a pen.  I mean shit, have you ever heard of soldiers clearing rooms by throwing in some Bics?  And a grenade in the hand is worth more than two in the bush.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 10:28:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:  The pen, as they say, may be mightier than the sword.  But, the hand grenade is far mightier than a pen.  I mean shit, have you ever heard of soldiers clearing rooms by throwing in some Bics?  And a grenade in the hand is worth more than two in the bush.  
View Quote

Actually, we mostly use Powerpoint & email these days, but Dry Erase markers are GOLD.  Congratulations on your achievement.  If we held a fundraiser for another stamp & ballistic gelatin, would you test one & do a blast radius thread?
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 11:40:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Actually, we mostly use Powerpoint & email these days, but Dry Erase markers are GOLD.  Congratulations on your achievement.  If we held a fundraiser for another stamp & ballistic gelatin, would you test one & do a blast radius thread?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  The pen, as they say, may be mightier than the sword.  But, the hand grenade is far mightier than a pen.  I mean shit, have you ever heard of soldiers clearing rooms by throwing in some Bics?  And a grenade in the hand is worth more than two in the bush.  

Sure.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 10:58:03 AM EDT
[#28]
IMing & emailing.  I would rather suspect the final tally would be somewhat oversubscribed.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 12:02:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Sorry.  Ed Sr says no or everyone would want help doing a project.  I think we could raise money for you only if you were the blast radius test subject, and we don't want that.  We'll have to try elsewhere.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 2:36:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I'm still keeping the M-14, POM-Z2, and Claymore mines on my radar.  If anyone wants to pony up the funding for a tax stamp, I'm taking requests.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Shouldve done a claymore...barn sized.

I'm still keeping the M-14, POM-Z2, and Claymore mines on my radar.  If anyone wants to pony up the funding for a tax stamp, I'm taking requests.

Claymore would be stupid easy.  The trainer (blue) claymores have the steel bearing matrix in the mine still.  Blasting caps are easier than fuzes.  Following this thread!
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 2:43:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Did a mout range a few months back, we had to turn in fuse, spoon, and rings/pins along with the bodies (training grenades).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some DIs were required to "turn in the pins" on grenades at the frag range. This does not mean that those pins turned in didn't come from something completely different. The ring is no way to identify a type of grenade. Only that it came with a pin. The OD who came up with this way of keeping track of issued and used grenades needs his head checked. GROG

Did a mout range a few months back, we had to turn in fuse, spoon, and rings/pins along with the bodies (training grenades).

With live grenades, it's nothing more than a dunnage accountability issue just like turning in brass.  Stupid, because pins aren't exactly hard to find if someone was attempting to steal a grenade, but it is what it is.  That's why they show up now and then in barracks rooms and off post residences.

CMS
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 2:08:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Claymore would be stupid easy.  The trainer (blue) claymores have the steel bearing matrix in the mine still.  Blasting caps are easier than fuzes.  Following this thread!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The blue M33 trainers don't have the ball bearings in them. They use whatever the cheapest scrap metal is that the manufacturer can get ahold of. I've seen washers and cut out scraps of sheet metal which are glued into the case with some sort of dark brown epoxy matrix. I also once saw one that appeared to be filled with concrete. The desirable ones were the earlier trainers which were actual green M18's that never had the explosives in them. Those will have a blue stripe painted across the front & back and are usually stenciled with the words "INERT" and "TRAINER" on them. Those are the ones that still have the ball bearing matrix epoxied in.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:08:20 PM EDT
[#33]
I have a very simple blast land mine design that I just came up with that uses a waterproof round electrical gang box, a cat whisker limit switch, a tamper switch, and some watch batteries.  By my bar napkin calculations, it can hold around a pound of filler.  

I need to pull about a half dozen tax stamps for the projects I have in mind.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:34:08 PM EDT
[#34]
are you a engineer or something by profession if you dont mind me asking? if not what are some good books to learn from ?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:35:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
are you a engineer or something by profession if you dont mind me asking? if not what are some good books to learn from ?
View Quote

Well, I am something by profession, but it has nothing to do with weapons engineering.  I'm just a lowly IT guy with a very creative mind and a very tolerant wife that should be canonized that isn't cowed by societal pressures that tell normal people that they don't 'need' hand grenades, landmines, and other such armaments.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:58:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The blue M33 trainers don't have the ball bearings in them. They use whatever the cheapest scrap metal is that the manufacturer can get ahold of. I've seen washers and cut out scraps of sheet metal which are glued into the case with some sort of dark brown epoxy matrix. I also once saw one that appeared to be filled with concrete. The desirable ones were the earlier trainers which were actual green M18's that never had the explosives in them. Those will have a blue stripe painted across the front & back and are usually stenciled with the words "INERT" and "TRAINER" on them. Those are the ones that still have the ball bearing matrix epoxied in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a trainer that most definitely has a ball bearing matrix.  Maybe it's an early one but it has the solid blue case, not green with a blue stripe.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:27:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I have a trainer that most definitely has a ball bearing matrix.  Maybe it's an early one but it has the solid blue case, not green with a blue stripe.
View Quote

But the ball bearing matrix is the easiest part to build.  For a directional, command-detonated mine, I'm really eyeballing round electrical enclosures.  They're already waterproof, they have threaded attachment points that can be adapted to become cap wells, they are very very cheap and available practically everywhere.  Also, since I'm keeping an eye toward modularity and adaptability, they can also be stacked or adapted from antipersonnel frag matrix to EFP shaped charge with the swapping of a couple screws.  

Just a thought though.  That project should go quickly, but I need to put in for a stamp first.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 1:30:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
... they can also be stacked or adapted from antipersonnel frag matrix to EFP shaped charge with the swapping of a couple screws.  
View Quote

You are gonna need a F-A-S-T explosive to get an EFP to form!    

Mono-molecular explosive is what its gonna need, not some SLOW binary FOX mixture.  

Good luck!

Will
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 2:48:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Best I can do right now is around 4400 m/s.  

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:01:29 PM EDT
[#40]
I have several thoughts on usage for you "mini-mines", but I'll keep them to myself.
I'm sure if you reread the improvised weapons section of the soldiers handbook you got in basic (from the 80s) you'll find some ideas.
I'm not sure they cover this in these more enlightened, PC times.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:24:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I have several thoughts on usage for you "mini-mines", but I'll keep them to myself.
I'm sure if you reread the improvised weapons section of the soldiers handbook you got in basic (from the 80s) you'll find some ideas.
View Quote

That's the thing, my mini-mine designs aren't really that small.  The net explosive weight should be in the ~1lb area and up, and the diameter should be around 4.5 inches.  As far as mines go, that's pretty respectable.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:36:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting. In 25 years of collecting I've never come across that. Are you sure it isn't a green M18 that may have been painted blue? If you wouldn't mind, could you get me a picture of the ball bearing matrix in that and possibly a picture of the back cover too? I'd like to add that photo to my reference collection.
The first photo shows the typical filling in a blue M33 trainer. It's just scrap metal thrown into the case with some epoxy. I've also seen some with concrete too. Notice how the M33 trainer has "M33" cast into the plastic. The second photo is an actual M18A1 converted into a trainer. The correct ball bearing matrix is clearly visible. Also notice how the "M18" nomenclature has been machined off and overstamped with "M33" and the various INERT markings applied.

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 11:07:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Very cool, and very easy to make. Good luck and happy building. It'd be nice to see the claymore on the NFA list. GROG
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:22:13 AM EDT
[#44]
I really love this thread I wish the other site would open up for new members lol
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:17:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

With live grenades, it's nothing more than a dunnage accountability issue just like turning in brass.  Stupid, because pins aren't exactly hard to find if someone was attempting to steal a grenade, but it is what it is.  That's why they show up now and then in barracks rooms and off post residences.

CMS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some DIs were required to "turn in the pins" on grenades at the frag range. This does not mean that those pins turned in didn't come from something completely different. The ring is no way to identify a type of grenade. Only that it came with a pin. The OD who came up with this way of keeping track of issued and used grenades needs his head checked. GROG

CMS

Egg Zachary. They are not "regulated" ...at all. One of my instructors at IBOLC had them stacked like 18" inches high on the antenna of his gov't S-10. He just picked them up all the time in case he couldn't find one he needed himself one day. Hell, I have a few spares hanging off my rig right now. Plenty of us have also made it home with the odd smoke or star cluster over the years no doubt. I will say I've never tried to erhm, "misplace" an actual grenade though.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:27:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

That's the thing, my mini-mine designs aren't really that small.  The net explosive weight should be in the ~1lb area and up, and the diameter should be around 4.5 inches.  As far as mines go, that's pretty respectable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look at the PMA-2, Former Yugoslavian Blast, Anti-Personnel mine.  Nice & small.

Or the Canadian M25 or the US M14 blast Anti-Personnel mines.

Bad things do come in small packages!  
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:58:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Look at the PMA-2, Former Yugoslavian Blast, Anti-Personnel mine.  Nice & small.

Or the Canadian M25 or the US M14 blast Anti-Personnel mines.

Bad things do come in small packages!  
View Quote

Definitely considered the PMA-2 and the M14.  For either of those, I'd need an inert model of each one so I could 3d model them and release them for 3d printing.  For my own fabrication, I'm tending toward a modified POM-Z2 Yugo stake mine and a modular mini claymore  of my own design.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:47:19 PM EDT
[#48]
The PMA-2 is basically a skoal can with a multi-prong pressure system that goes into a crushed glass & Armstrong initiator.

Not much to model.

The M14 actually has some good cutaways on the Internetz.

The Canadian M25 or C2A1/C3A1 "Elsie" or whatever you want to call it is a little more intensive due to its spike shape.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:51:17 PM EDT
[#49]
So is it completed yet? Also a you plan on pulling the pin OP?
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:31:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
So is it completed yet? Also a you plan on pulling the pin OP?
View Quote

That's a little bit more expensive than setting off some Tannerite.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top