Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/11/2009 12:31:43 PM EDT
I spent a couple days finishing the bolt/carrier.  It's now ready to go to the heat treater.  Time to start buying metal for the carriage.

Feel free to ask any questions and I'll help where I can.  Please also point out any suggestions or safety issues you might see in this design.  I don't claim to be an expert and have been self-taught to get this far.  The 'brains' behind this operation come from my gunsmith/machinist and mechanical engineering buddies.  The bolt, bolt carrier, and receiver are all made from 4140.

Matt

First pic is a view from the rear toward the front with the gun loaded and ready to fire.  The bolt isn't completely assembled but you'll get the idea.  Removing the cotter pin fires the gun.  The aluminum plate handle will be machined to a better looking shape.  The upper and lower black colored bolts will be used to mount handles to spin the bolt.

http://tinypic.com/r/29vdw12/6

Pic is a side view of the gun ready to fire:

http://tinypic.com/r/241s75d/6

Pic is a side view after firing:

http://tinypic.com/r/2dsphqd/6

Pic is a long view:

http://tinypic.com/r/212v22a/6

Pic is another long view:

http://tinypic.com/r/16m8086/6

Pic is a rear view down the barrel through the chamber area:

http://tinypic.com/r/an0b55/6

Pic of assembled bolt.  The bolt head is shaped like a reloading shell holder to hold the shell in place.

http://tinypic.com/r/vilk53/6

Pic of disassembled bolt.  The two piece design allows the bolt head to spin freely in the bolt carrier.  This should make extraction easier but was mostly done because I had to redesign the bolt to get the safety factor where I needed it.  The original design was only just safe with 'real' ammunition that I'll probably never shoot anyway.  Reloads will be less powerful than the real stuff.

http://tinypic.com/r/efje4g/6

Pic of firing pin assembly.  This was a test piece and I'll rebuild it with a manual safety

http://tinypic.com/r/2d82i9z/6

Pic of bottom of reciever showing mounting holes along the outside and a pressure relief hole in the center

http://tinypic.com/r/2dh7nts/6
Link Posted: 12/11/2009 12:42:17 PM EDT
[#1]
so what do yo hunt with that......or better what did the range officer say to you
Link Posted: 12/11/2009 12:43:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Hey Matt, can you give the following info:
Case volume no bullet
case volume with bullet
bullet weight
barrel length
max pressure

I'll try to find out if quickload can give any recommendations.

Jess
Link Posted: 12/11/2009 1:02:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
so what do yo hunt with that......or better what did the range officer say to you

Once I get the gun up and running I'll build a 50BMG subcal device so I can shoot it at the local range.  Fortunately in Alaska there are still enough wild places where you can shoot whatever you want.  I'm trying to find the old video I have from test firing it and will post that if/when I find it.

Matt
Link Posted: 12/11/2009 1:03:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Cool. Mount it on some wheels.
Link Posted: 12/11/2009 1:08:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Case volume no bullet
case volume with bullet
bullet weight
barrel length
max pressure

Jess

hey jess,

thanks for the offer - that would be great!  i really have to thank you guys for restarting my interest in this project.

i'm guessing that i should measure the case volumes you mention by using water and measuring it in grains on my reloading scale?  is there any easier way?

thanks,

matt
Link Posted: 12/11/2009 1:11:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Cool. Mount it on some wheels.

That's the plan.  I have a 37mm AT gun kit from www.macreplicas.com.  It'll eventually (hopefully by May) look like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:M-3_Antitank_Gun_37mm_Towed.jpg

Matt
Link Posted: 12/11/2009 3:05:48 PM EDT
[#7]
cool, I would have went way lighter on the breach block, Since its a screw in. I supose you could always mill some off if you want to.

I would probably cut the barrel down some myself.

Where the hell do you get ammunition or componets? This is 30xwhat mm ?
Link Posted: 12/11/2009 3:31:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
cool, I would have went way lighter on the breach block, Since its a screw in. I supose you could always mill some off if you want to.

I would probably cut the barrel down some myself.

Where the hell do you get ammunition or componets? This is 30xwhat mm ?

Yep.  The breach block could have been much smaller.  Originally I went larger because I was going to build a more typical sliding breach and needed more steel.  After I already had the steel I switched to the screw breach.

Check out the thread just down in the list on the components and ammo.

I have a spare barrel that's going to get cut short for BLAST appeal.  

Thanks for your thoughts,

Matt

Link Posted: 12/11/2009 4:02:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Public Service Announcement:

If anyone's looking for an uncut barrel drop me a line.  $750 plus shipping.  They're not mine but I can turn you onto them.

End Public Service Announcement

Matt
Link Posted: 12/11/2009 4:49:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Case volume no bullet
case volume with bullet
bullet weight
barrel length
max pressure

Jess

Hi Jess,

Here's the approx info.  It's definitely not exact.  I used water to measure the grain capacities and my measuring device was crude.  I'll definitely find a precise scale to work this out before using any of the data.  It will be very interesting to see if QuickLoad came come up with any loads:

Case volume with no bullet:  2772 grains
Case volume with bullet:       2464 grains
Bullet weight:                        5833 grains (This is a larger projectile than I'll be firing but I don't have a scale to weigh the t328 projectiles)
Barrel length:                         112.28 inches
Max pressure:                       61,350 PSI  

I pulled the pressure, and projectile weights from the www.atk.com website.

Thanks for the help!

Matt
Link Posted: 12/11/2009 6:04:47 PM EDT
[#11]
this is awesome.

Think we can get a muzzle pic?
Link Posted: 12/11/2009 6:47:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Case volume no bullet
case volume with bullet
bullet weight
barrel length
max pressure

Jess

Hi Jess,

Here's the approx info.  It's definitely not exact.  I used water to measure the grain capacities and my measuring device was crude.  I'll definitely find a precise scale to work this out before using any of the data.  It will be very interesting to see if QuickLoad came come up with any loads:

Case volume with no bullet:  2772 grains
Case volume with bullet:       2464 grains
Bullet weight:                        5833 grains (This is a larger projectile than I'll be firing but I don't have a scale to weigh the t328 projectiles)
Barrel length:                         112.28 inches
Max pressure:                       61,350 PSI  

I pulled the pressure, and projectile weights from the www.atk.com website.

Thanks for the help!

Matt

Hey Matt, what was the volume of the case before you converted it to weight?
Link Posted: 12/11/2009 9:08:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Sorry about that.  The really rough volume of water in the case was 280ml without the bullet and 260ml with the bullet.  This is really rough and I'll get better measurements if QuickLoad can come up with something using this rough data.

I had to use the pyrex kitchen measuring glass to get this estimate.  If anyone has an idea on how to get better volumes using home equipment please let me know.

Thanks for the help!

Matt
Link Posted: 12/13/2009 1:32:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Is this going to be ready for Anderson?
Link Posted: 12/13/2009 6:49:45 AM EDT
[#15]

http://tinypic.com/r/an0b55/6

Pic of assembled bolt. The bolt head is shaped like a reloading shell holder to hold the shell in place.

Hey Matt, probably the only downside the screw breech is the chance for an OOBD. If that's a live round, think what happens if the firing pin drops accidentally.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 8:47:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Hey Matt, probably the only downside the screw breech is the chance for an OOBD. If that's a live round, think what happens if the firing pin drops accidentally.

Good catch.  I've always been nervous about the 'hand grenade' nature of this design while loading the live round.  I left a couple pieces out of the picture that worked on my old bolt but will be redesigned on the new bolt.  I had a safety position on the old bolt that physically blocked the firing pin until the safety was manually released.  I plan to build something like this on the new bolt when it comes back from the heat treater.  The old process was:

1)  Pull back firing pin and engage cotter pin.
2)  Engage manual firing pin safety
3)  Load round
4)  Screw in breech
5)  Disengage manaul firing pin safety
6)  Fire round

Still a little scary but much safer than just a single cotter pin.

Thanks for your thoughts.  Please keep them coming.  Someone out there will be able to make good use of this stuff when they build the next gun.

Matt
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 8:48:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That's the plan!  (Although that's been the plan for the last 4 years also......)

So you're going to make Anderson 2010?  Cool.

Matt
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 1:07:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the plan!  (Although that's been the plan for the last 4 years also......)

Matt

Anderson 2010 is when i will take delivery of my barrel.

Hopefully i'll have a place to store it by then.

Link Posted: 12/14/2009 5:54:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Video of the test fire from a year or two ago.  The loud voice you'll hear at the end was a target shooter on the next range over that happened to wander by.  Check out the recoil compared to the around 200lb weight of the gun.  Pretty wild.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACoGuX2LbWk

Matt
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 6:30:28 PM EDT
[#20]
My 30x173mm GAU-8 Rifle Project

I'm planing on building mine in a layout something like this.

Using an interrupted thread type breach.

I'm thinking about using a firing pin set up similar to whats on the little cricket 22 rifles.  It will have to be manually cocked before firing.

Your youtube vid gives me more confidence about mitigating recoil.  I'll be using a scaled up copy of the JP "Tank Break" that reduces recoil around 80% and using a stock mounted on a hydralic dampner.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 6:34:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Video of the test fire from a year or two ago.  The loud voice you'll hear at the end was a target shooter on the next range over that happened to wander by.  Check out the recoil compared to the around 200lb weight of the gun.  Pretty wild.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACoGuX2LbWk

Matt

About how many feet did that gun slide backward after firing?

I need to crunch the numbers using your field data as a baseline.

Figuring a 100-120lb rifle with a muzzle break that has a 80% reduction on recoil.  Then spread that force over the 8-12" that my stock can compress.

Also do you have a source for TP rounds?
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 6:35:11 PM EDT
[#22]
I look forward to hearing more about the build as it progresses!  I've been thinking about muzzle break designs also but figured that's about the last step in the process for me.  80% reduction is incredible.

What's a TP round?

I don't have an exact measurement on the recoil footage as it's been a couple years since the test fire.  My guess is 2+ feet based upon the length of the receiver, the video, and my memory.  I believe this shot was fired using a full case of superslow powder and a T328 projectile.  None of the shots that day recoiled further than the video shot.

I hope this helps,

Matt
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 6:51:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I look forward to hearing more about the build as it progresses!  I've been thinking about muzzle break designs also but figured that's about the last step in the process for me.  80% reduction is incredible.

What's a TP round?

I don't have an exact measurement on the recoil footage as it's been a couple years since the test fire.  My guess is 2+ feet based upon the length of the receiver, the video, and my memory.  I believe this shot was fired using a full case of superslow powder and a T328 projectile.  None of the shots that day recoiled further than the video shot.

I hope this helps,

Matt

TP is the standard training/practice round with an inert "warhead"

Tho only thing that's really got me is...  With the JP muzzle break, he higher my pressures the less felt recoil I'll get.

In short, in my rifle a case stoked with superslow may have more felt recoil than a full power TP round that slings a 6500gn projo at 3300fps...

I'll have to prove design strength with it on a mount, then work up to a load the mitigates the recoil enough for me to get behind it.

I'll have a MINIMUM firing pressure that will be somewhat close to my Maximum chamber pressure.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 8:37:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Matt

Im hooked.

Now i just need to get on the ball about getting something with a faster rate of fire.
Link Posted: 12/15/2009 8:18:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Thanks for the lesson on TP.  I don't have a single 'real' round and everything has been with reloads using 1F black powder or superslow powder and t328 projectiles.

Keep the discussion coming,

Matt
Link Posted: 12/15/2009 11:16:15 AM EDT
[#26]
does bigskysurplus actually have the 20mm and 30mm stuff listed in stock?
Link Posted: 12/15/2009 12:22:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/25/2010 10:39:33 AM EDT
[#28]
I've got 30mm fever as well...  Thanks a bunch Matt!!!    I've got a GAU-8  barrel lined up and big plans for it.
Link Posted: 6/25/2010 10:48:32 AM EDT
[#29]

Very cool.

Needs action shots - 10 ft. flames and such!

Link Posted: 6/25/2010 12:43:50 PM EDT
[#30]
If things work out well the gun will be mated to the carriage in mid-July!  I'll be sure to post vid's of the first fully completed test firing.

(Unless the carriage self destructs.  In that case I probably won't post videos )

Matt
Link Posted: 6/25/2010 12:50:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Wow! Godzilla's pissing his loins right now. How big of a tag would you need?
Link Posted: 7/29/2010 9:29:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Thanks for getting me hooked.  Crack would be a less expensive and time consuming hobby!  

Link Posted: 7/29/2010 12:37:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Sweet drawings!

I missed ANOTHER of my self imposed milestones.  The sled and channel are fitted.  Now I'm working on the attachment of the shocks.  I always think I'm about 4 days worth of work away.  I'm not sure when I'll get another block of time to work on it.  It may be a few months.

The recoil sled sure looked sweet when we mocked up the fit with the barrel, receiver and shocks and then mocked up the fit into the carriage. (and yep - I neglected to take pics so it probably never happened )

Matt
Link Posted: 9/25/2010 5:24:30 AM EDT
[#34]
what type ammo are you using?  what kind of relaoding data an supplys are you using ?  does the al cases hold up reloading them after being fired ?
Link Posted: 9/25/2010 6:31:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
what type ammo are you using?  what kind of relaoding data an supplys are you using ?  does the al cases hold up reloading them after being fired ?

hi,

i see you looked at the various posts.  some of them are long but i outlined my reloading 'technique' in one of the threads.  in short, i'm relloading my own blammo.  i'm using once fired cases, T328 projectiles, and 'Super Slow' cannon powder.   I fortunately picked up a couple hundred T328 projectiles a few years ago when they were available in bulk.  I think i paid $5 each.

The 'Super Slow' cannon powder was also available a few years ago but has since dried up.  I've shot my tube with 1F black powder, mixed 1F and Super Slow and finally a full case of Super Slow.  

we have been trying to run down the source of new manufacture steel cases but so far haven't had any luck.  i have shot the aluminim cases a couple times (orignal fire and two reloads) and i haven't died yet.  my cannon is way overbuilt to take some of my fear out of reloading aluminum cases.  i'm not totally comfortable with it but there are lots of links to people that reload aluminum pistol cases (although there's a significant pressure difference).  the general opinion is that this is bad to do and if you do it you'll kill everyone in a 10 block radius.  with an overbuilt 'gun', a ruptured case pressure release hole, and a long string i'll see what kind of case failures i get.

i'll hopefully get time with the gunsmith in oct and will get some new pics out.  let me know if you'd like to talk more.

matt
Link Posted: 9/25/2010 7:24:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Matt,

If you ever need a source of cheap practice projectiles, I could make a mold of one of your regular ones, and produce some in plastic... They should hold up well with a black powder charge. Contact me at [email protected] if you are interested. Nice gun, BTW. GROG
Link Posted: 9/25/2010 8:52:38 AM EDT
[#37]
what about a mold to pour hard lead/tin content alloy  ???         matt thks for the info  on loading ??     i have some real slow vihtiourio power canister grade i paid $150 a gallon for i quess it would reload that case to ?
Link Posted: 9/26/2010 10:52:49 AM EDT
[#38]
Yes, the molds I make can be used with low temp metals like lead, tin, and zinc. GROG
Link Posted: 9/27/2010 8:35:43 AM EDT
[#39]
If you ever need a source of cheap practice projectiles....

Thanks for the offer!  I'll definitely take you up on that and have saved your email address.   I'll drop you a line when I'm done putting the gun together.  It seems like I'm always just 'one week' away from completion.

Thanks again for the offer,

Matt
Link Posted: 9/27/2010 12:32:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Not a problem Matt, I do it for others too. It's my retirement side hobby. I shoot a lot of 40mm stuff, and have been dabbling in the larger calibers. I like little cannon too. If you know of a place to get about a 2' section of barrel, I was thinking of building a wee cannon. Thanks Bro, GROG
Link Posted: 9/30/2010 6:08:37 AM EDT
[#41]

How did it work with the getting it registered as a destructive device with ATF?

Link Posted: 9/30/2010 6:20:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:How did it work with the getting it registered as a destructive device with ATF?

It was a piece of cake.  I filed the form-1, they approved it and sent it back.  I had some questions from the cop/administrator doing the CLEO sign-off interview though.  The concept of a person making their own destructive device took a little bit of explaining.  I finally just described it as a big long single shot rifle with wheels.  

If you have any specific questions on filing a form-1 or need any help with it just let me know.

Link Posted: 9/30/2010 5:40:56 PM EDT
[#43]
What are your plans on a final mount? Towed with some kind of hydraulic recoil buffer?
Link Posted: 10/1/2010 5:27:32 AM EDT
[#44]
whos the person whos got a complete barrel thats for sale would he be interested in a trade ?
Link Posted: 10/1/2010 8:09:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Here's where I got my barrel.  It's in Fairbanks Alaska:

http://www.armsandequipment.com/forsale.htm

If you watch the various gun boards they'll pop up from time to time at various prices.  

Good luck!

Matt
Link Posted: 10/1/2010 8:14:51 AM EDT
[#46]
Final mount pictures here:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=21&t=295279&page=5

I'm long overdue posting the recoil sled pictures.  I have the sled and recoil assembly test fitted with some remaining fabrication to complete (not that I'm the brains behind this.  That would be my gunsmith buddy who's teaching me machine shop tool operation).  As long as he isn't called for jury duty we plan to hopefully complete this the week of Oct 11th.  I promise to bring my camera and get current pics regardless of how much we get done.

The recoil system will use two Honda Goldwing shocks to dampen recoil and move the sled  back into firing position.

Thanks for the interest,

Matt
Link Posted: 10/8/2010 10:37:00 AM EDT
[#47]

When you bring this thing to Knob Creek, I will come (to Knob Creek...)
Link Posted: 10/9/2010 5:20:09 AM EDT
[#48]
you should go to the creek any way   if you have never been before    because you will see cannons there far bigger than a 30mm
Link Posted: 10/9/2010 7:28:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

When you bring this thing to Knob Creek, I will come (to Knob Creek...)

Going to Knob Creek seems unlikely.  I dont think the Canucks would let him tow it through.  And I dont think it will fit in a pelican case for the flight.

Your probably going to have to come to AK to see it shoot.  Wait a few years and there might be more than one 30mm at  AMGA events.
Link Posted: 10/10/2010 5:07:37 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

you should go to the creek any way   if you have never been before    because you will see cannons there far bigger than a 30mm

Yeah, I definitely plan to make that trip.

I was really saying that I want to see this particular cannon fire, since I've watched its genesis as it happened.

Kind of like the uncle who watches his nephew graduate - couldn't care less about the others up on stage.

Being in AK will make that....difficult.  Still, congrats on an awesome project.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top