Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 7:34:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the support!  There were a lot of times over the past few years that I really wanted to throw in the towel on this project and you guys got me motivated for it again.

I should have updated pics posted shortly.  I'm taking my camera over to the shop today.  The cannon is now attached to the recoil slide via front and rear clamping blocks.  The studs are mounted that attach the recoil slide to the shocks.  Next up is the trunion attachment to the recoil carriage.  I was concerned about the trueness of the sliding recoil plate but it moves back and forth nice and smoothly.  I guess I shouldn't have been concerned given how much time we took to set it up.....

We're getting really close to mounting the gun on the towed carriage!

Pics soon.

Thank you,

Matt

Link Posted: 10/14/2010 4:58:29 AM EDT
[#2]
keep up the good work we all want to look at this cannon
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 10:26:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Recoil sled assembly.  A 1/2 inch plate slides within a 6 inch channel:  The front and rear blocks clamp the barrel and the receiver is bolted to the 1/2 inch plate.  The middle trunion block allows the barrel to slide through the central hole.  The 1/2 inch plate is held down by the middle block, front shock mounting bolts and we'll later add some rails:

Misc pic showing some machine work in progress.  The triangular gussets will be welded to the large trunion block.

Side pic.  FIRST TIME MOUNTED!    It was late in the day by the time we had it ready so the pics are crappy and dark but it was a happy moment.

Front view.  Only one shock is shown in the mounted position.  We haven't yet made the attachment point for the rear of the shocks:

There's obviously some rounding and spacing work to be done but this is a significant milestone in the project.  Thanks again for the support.  If anyone has any questions or comments I'd love to hear them.

Matt
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 10:59:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Outstanding!  Looks like you and the "regimental armorer" have mad great progress.

I look forward to the "First Firing"!   Are you gonna make me pull the lanyard again?  LOL
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 11:40:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Keep it up Matt!
Link Posted: 10/20/2010 3:03:27 PM EDT
[#6]
We have 3 days in Nov penciled in for some more work.  Next up are the additional rails to hold the sliding recoil plate to the channel, the rear shock mount, gusset welding, etc.  I think we're getting pretty close to fabricating the traverse brackets (to hold the already complete steering box assembly) and fitting the elevation components (sounds high tech but it's most likely going to be just a screw type car jack).

Thanks for the continued encouragement!  

Matt
Link Posted: 11/2/2010 9:57:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Edited...VA-gunnut   do you need any supplys for the 30mm i have cases primers powder etc
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 4:08:49 AM EDT
[#8]
i have vihtaouri oy powder now
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 9:03:11 AM EDT
[#9]
YOU DA MAN for sticking with it and making an awesome cannon&carriage!  I can't wait for Memorial Day!!!
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 10:11:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Any thoughts on a paint job? Nice carriage mounting job. GROG
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 10:25:45 AM EDT
[#11]
I got leave approved for anderson weekend!!! see the HTF members there!!!
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 11:16:29 AM EDT
[#12]

Glad to see this project continue.  Love the dedication, creativity, and all around badassedness (is that a word?)
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 2:37:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks again to all for the encouragement!  Paint will probably be a basic army style green.  The following is a quick status update that may or may not have actually happened since I can't produce pictures:

1) We finished the mounting bracket for the traverse mechanism.  It's ready to weld on.
2) The recoil sled gussets are welded on.
3) I bought the steel for the elevation mechanism mounting bracket.  After additonal thought it looks like the car jack idea will still work.

The T&E is halfway there!  It looks like for once I can promise to bring it to the big Memorial Day shoot with some level of confidence.  It's going to be a hell of a fun weekend.  I'm glad to hear that folks are already planning on attending.

Matt
Link Posted: 12/19/2010 4:12:16 AM EDT
[#14]
cannoneers if you need cannon powder i have it but i need 30mm bbls cases projo,s  can we help
Link Posted: 12/19/2010 8:42:55 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a feeling that this is going to be a Memorial Day to remember!  
Link Posted: 1/7/2011 1:19:59 PM EDT
[#16]
More pics below if you're interested.  The elevation brackets are complete and tacked on.  The front armor is of course off for these pics and they're taken from the rear and  side of the carriage axle.  The long bolts in the elevation brackets will be replaced with shorter bolts but that was all we had for mock-up.   The traverse bracket and traverse gear box is ready to weld on but we ran out of daylight.  Funny how that happens so often this time of year in Alaska!  The first pic shows the gear under the trunion that the traverse gear box will attach to.

Thanks,

Matt
Link Posted: 1/7/2011 3:23:09 PM EDT
[#17]
How do people deal with the short days up there?  I swear I'd go absolutely NUTS.

Project looks AWESOME.
Link Posted: 1/7/2011 5:37:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the feedback.  It seems like we're always 'two more days' away from being done.  We got to play with the plasma cutter on the elevation brackets.  Way cool tool.

I don't mind the short daylight in the winter.  We make up for it in the summer.  I actually really enjoy the winter up here.  The tourists die and the bugs leave the state..... or wait a minute.  Do I have that backwards?  Something like that anyway.    If you're willing to get outside when it's cold you can have the place to yourself.  I was riding groomed trails on the snowmachine the other weekend with my son.  We didn't see another person all day.  It was -40 though....
Link Posted: 1/8/2011 2:55:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Ha!  Sounds like the very definition of 'mixed blessing.'  I want to make it up to AK before too much longer.  Problem is, there's so much I want to do and see that I'd have to move there to really make it worth it.  Seriously though, I do plan to take the train from Seattle through BC, then then cruise through the inside passage.  That, or just a plain old hunt/fish trip at a lodge.

You're right about the plasma cutter - I've seen an industrial one in action (cutting parts for 100-ton presses) and it was indeed 'way cool', even though it really was 'way hot.'  Sorry, couldn't resist...

Link Posted: 1/25/2011 11:15:32 AM EDT
[#20]
We now have T and E!

Rear view of T&E (as you can tell I don't have the shorter bolts yet that I need for the elevation extension brackets.  Anyone have two 3/4 inch fine bolts 1.5 inches long for me?  ):

Front view of traverse:

Next up are the T&E handles, scope mount/linkage, and the recoil guard!

Matt
Link Posted: 2/7/2011 8:33:34 AM EDT
[#21]
More pics for your viewing pleasure:

1)  Sight linkage complete.  We'll add a piccatiny rail where the level is sitting in the picture:

2)  Added the front camouflage hanger.

3)  Folded, welded, etc the accessory box on the rear upper right of the front armor.  This pic also shows the handle added to the traverse mechanism.  What do you think about a coaxial shotgun mount?

Next up is the handle for the elevation mechanism, sight mount base / bore sighting, and recoil guard.  TEST FIRE COMING SOON!

Matt
Link Posted: 2/10/2011 1:01:58 PM EDT
[#22]
I love the short range defensive device attachment, aka coaxial shotgun.
Link Posted: 2/10/2011 1:05:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Wow! That is so way above my skillset.

I am impressed.
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 6:47:00 AM EDT
[#24]
It's way above my skillset too.  Good thing it's not way above my gunsmith buddy's skillset.  Some of this stuff is larger than his toolset can handle but there's usually a workaround for most of that.

Hmmmm, so if I mount the coax short range defense weapon, I could just use the shotgun sights to aim the main gun and I wouldn't need a scope?  

Thanks for the interest.  It helps keep me motivated on this project that turned into way more work than I'd ever imagined.

Matt

ETA:  The best thing about this project has been learning my way around a machine shop.  The last time when I was at the shop to work on this, my buddy was distracted with a customer.  I wanted to start working so he said "yeah - you know how to run everything out in the shop".  Pretty exciting when my background before this was in the evil WOODshop.
Link Posted: 2/15/2011 11:04:51 AM EDT
[#25]
For those contemplating building their own recoil systems here's an interesting DOD book on the subject:

http://www.everyspec.com/DoD/DoD-HDBK/download.php?spec=DOD-HDBK-778.016860.PDF
Link Posted: 3/23/2011 6:44:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Fella in our body shop has a 30mm barrel,,, that thing is friggin heavy..

What  the barrel worth ?   I told him I spied this topic a week or so ago..
Link Posted: 3/24/2011 7:52:24 AM EDT
[#27]
what does he want for it or trade for it
Link Posted: 3/25/2011 4:29:56 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

For those contemplating building their own recoil systems here's an interesting DOD book on the subject:

http://www.everyspec.com/DoD/DoD-HDBK/download.php?spec=DOD-HDBK-778.016860.PDF

I'll never use this (never say never?) but it's really cool, nonetheless.  So I saved it....

Glad to see you're still on track with this project.

Thanks for the updates.

Link Posted: 3/28/2011 8:14:13 AM EDT
[#29]
I've seen uncut barrels for sale from anywhere from $700-$6,500.  I think realistic sale price is in the $900-1300 range as a guess but it takes the right person to want to buy one.

I'm in the middle of selling a house and moving so it looks lilke I'm going to miss ANOTHER target deadline to have the gun complete by May.  Bummer!

Matt

Link Posted: 3/28/2011 8:43:10 AM EDT
[#30]
if you need local manual labor let me know, i got a decent chunk of free time and I can easily be put to work doing boring repetive tasks.
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 1:57:17 AM EDT
[#31]
nm....
Link Posted: 6/27/2011 8:55:58 AM EDT
[#32]
The fabrication work is done!  I was starting to think this day would never arrive.  The parts are now off at the coating shop where they'll sand blast and prime the parts.  I'll post pics when I pick up it up next week.

I looked at my form-1 and it was approved Feb 2005.  Between this project and the shrike I've learned 'patience'.  

Matt
Link Posted: 6/27/2011 9:38:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The fabrication work is done!  I was starting to think this day would never arrive.  The parts are now off at the coating shop where they'll sand blast and prime the parts.  I'll post pics when I pick up it up next week.

I looked at my form-1 and it was approved Feb 2005.  Between this project and the shrike I've learned 'patience'.  

Matt

nice, looking forward to seeing the finished project
Link Posted: 6/27/2011 9:50:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Matt

Have you received your Shrike?

TRG
Link Posted: 6/27/2011 10:59:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Thanks for the interest and support.  I'll get the post-sand blast pics up next week and then add more as I finish paint, assemble, and test fire.

It's been a great summer for shooting projects.  I got the Shrike in May and the cannon fabrication was finished in June.
Link Posted: 7/19/2011 6:39:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/19/2011 11:46:31 AM EDT
[#37]
Doh!  You caught me cross-posting on multiple boards.  

I justified it since I've gotten help from both places.
Link Posted: 7/21/2011 4:30:11 PM EDT
[#38]
All it needs now is a buttstock and a magpul sling.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 7:16:19 AM EDT
[#39]
how is the cases holding up
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 7:20:05 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
All it needs now is a buttstock and a magpul sling.

I rost.

TRG
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 12:39:32 PM EDT
[#41]
The cases are holding up just fine but I haven't shot the gun enough to know how the cases will fail over time.  I have a few cases that have been shot three times (once by the military and twice by me).

My reloading is pretty crude and  I need to make a primer seating tool to help seat the primer.  I currently use an automotive floor jack to press out the old primers/initiator tubes.  To refill the initiator tube I seal the non-primer end with a small  drop of gasket making/silicone material (whatever I happen to grab out of my box), I then fill the tube with black powder, and then cover the primer end of the tube with a piece of masking tape cut into a small circle.  I  then push the initator into the case and seat the primer using the floor jack (while wearing eye/ear protection).

I use a kitchen scale to weigh out the powder and then have two methods for seating the projectile:

1)  I use a modified pipe cutting tool to crimp the case into the projectile, or
2)  I seal the projectile using quick dry expanding gorilla glue.

I think I'm going to use option 2 in the future as it's less wear on the cases and the projectile is held in place with less wobble.  I first heard of this from the guys shooting larger diameter guns.

I told you it was crude but it works!  

Matt

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top