User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 1:28:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Missilegeek] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Gtscotty:

If you want the optics cut I think you have to go up to the TX22 Competition and prices seem to fluctuate, but are often similar to the P322.  The Sig also comes 20 rd mags and has optional 25 rd available, so +4 and +9 respectively on the standard TX22, although I don't know if there are aftermarket options for the Taurus or not. I also prefer the feel of the Sig and the flat trigger, but that's personal preference.

I don't think anyone is actually bragging about owning the P322 because of the cost, it's a $399 pistol, lol.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bballman25:

The Sig also has the optics cut, the TX22 doesn’t. When I was looking, the Sig felt better in my hand and felt more quality. The TX22 just felt cheap. Others may feel different.

If you want the optics cut I think you have to go up to the TX22 Competition and prices seem to fluctuate, but are often similar to the P322.  The Sig also comes 20 rd mags and has optional 25 rd available, so +4 and +9 respectively on the standard TX22, although I don't know if there are aftermarket options for the Taurus or not. I also prefer the feel of the Sig and the flat trigger, but that's personal preference.

I don't think anyone is actually bragging about owning the P322 because of the cost, it's a $399 pistol, lol.

False. Look at my previous post. Both of those are guns using the factory optics mounting option. The TX-22 Competition is available with a barrel optics mount. The compact model KS available with a factory slide cut.

They are extremely lightweight guns, with lightweight slides. That may feel cheap, but they run. My TX-22 competition has fired thousands of rounds and is the most reliable .22lr semi auto pistol that I've ever used.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 1:51:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gtscotty] [#2]
Originally Posted By Mblades:

They make a RDS compatible compact.
https://www.ssusa.org/media/0uwlpn1q/tx22compact-3.jpg
View Quote

Yep, I see that now, I honestly hadn't looked at the TX much since I was shopping before I got the P322. From the Taurus page, filtering for optics ready, it looks like the regular tx22 doesn't have an optics ready version, but the compact and competition do. The compact comes with a 13 rd magazine although I'd assume it can probably take the larger 16 rd magazines. That might be a differentiator to some folks.

One that I definitely wouldn't recommend is the SR22, it's got a weird safety/decocker/mag safety, is a strange size at least for me, and the buffer on mine pops out during firing. Probably should get it fixed, but I got it before the current generation of higher capacity .22 pistols came out and it just really doesn't compare.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 1:55:20 PM EDT
[#3]
The Sig also has the optics cut, the TX22 doesn’t. When I was looking, the Sig felt better in my hand and felt more quality. The TX22 just felt cheap. Others may feel different.
View Quote

Gotcha. I should have clarified before too, that I'm really looking at the TX22 Compact (because of the optics cut) vs. the P322. Prefer a slide-mounted optic since it better replicates most centerfire pistol optic setups, so that ruled out the TX22 Competition. I do find it curious that Taurus can make what seems to be like 30+ color variations of the TX22 line, yet won't put a factory optic cut slide on the full size TX22 - perhaps they just assume people who want full size + RDS will go for the Competition model I guess?

As for the quality differences, I'd hope the Sig, which is nearly 50% more expensive then a non-Comp TX22, would feel nicer, but that's definitely a super subjective thing admittedly. At this point, I've basically decided I just need to find a local range that will rent me both, and compare directly that way.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 2:10:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Missilegeek:

False. Look at my previous post. Both of those are guns using the factory optics mounting option. The TX-22 Competition is available with a barrel optics mount. The compact model KS available with a factory slide cut.

They are extremely lightweight guns, with lightweight slides. That may feel cheap, but they run. My TX-22 competition has fired thousands of rounds and is the most reliable .22lr semi auto pistol that I've ever used.
View Quote

They are all pretty lightweight, the Sig and TX compact are about the same weight, and the competition is about 6oz heavier.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 2:18:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By 8Thousand:

Gotcha. I should have clarified before too, that I'm really looking at the TX22 Compact (because of the optics cut) vs. the P322. Prefer a slide-mounted optic since it better replicates most centerfire pistol optic setups, so that ruled out the TX22 Competition. I do find it curious that Taurus can make what seems to be like 30+ color variations of the TX22 line, yet won't put a factory optic cut slide on the full size TX22 - perhaps they just assume people who want full size + RDS will go for the Competition model I guess?

As for the quality differences, I'd hope the Sig, which is nearly 50% more expensive then a non-Comp TX22, would feel nicer, but that's definitely a super subjective thing admittedly. At this point, I've basically decided I just need to find a local range that will rent me both, and compare directly that way.
View All Quotes

It's probably a slide weight thing. They probably don't run reliably when you have a heavy slide. All the TX-22 model slides are extremely lightweight. Adding an optic to the full size TX-22 would be much heavier than the reciprocal mass of a competition or compact model slide.

I'm also guessing this is they key to the reliability of these guns. All the other .22lr semi autos I've seen with a lot more reciprocal mass, don't run worth a shit. Physics is a thing and .22lr doesn't put out much energy. There's a pretty decent variation of energy depending on ammo type, and with the cheaper ammo, .22lr is also very inconsistently loaded. It's basically a gun companies worst nightmare for making a "reliable" semi auto pistol.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 2:49:42 PM EDT
[#6]
It's probably a slide weight thing. They probably don't run reliably when you have a heavy slide. All the TX-22 model slides are extremely lightweight. Adding an optic to the full size TX-22 would be much heavier than the reciprocal mass of a competition or compact model slide.

I'm also guessing this is they key to the reliability of these guns. All the other .22lr semi autos I've seen with a lot more reciprocal mass, don't run worth a shit. Physics is a thing and .22lr doesn't put out much energy. There's a pretty decent variation of energy depending on ammo type, and with the cheaper ammo, .22lr is also very inconsistently loaded. It's basically a gun companies worst nightmare for making a "reliable" semi auto pistol.
View Quote

That would also explain why the TX22 Compact has a aggressively skeletonized slide while the full size model does not. Still, couldn't Taurus just give the full size TX22 the same slide treatment if that was necessary to get it to run with a RDS? Given how close the street price is between the Compact and the fullsize, I have trouble imagining the additional lightening cuts + optic cut adds that much to the cost of the Compact vs the fullsize.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:03:54 PM EDT
[#7]

That would also explain why the TX22 Compact has a aggressively skeletonized slide while the full size model does not. Still, couldn't Taurus just give the full size TX22 the same slide treatment if that was necessary to get it to run with a RDS? Given how close the street price is between the Compact and the fullsize, I have trouble imagining the additional lightening cuts + optic cut adds that much to the cost of the Compact vs the fullsize.
View All Quotes

Yeah I agree about the cuts on the compact model. I think they are more for weight savings than aesthetics.

For whatever reason Taurus went the route of the competition model for optics. I think because they typically target the low budget market and weren't sure how popular these pistols would be. The compete model was probably seen by them as a specialty gun and something that would not be a big seller in their brand.

As you pointed out, they would be shooting themselves in the foot a bit to newly release those similar options on a similar timeframe. But if this line continues to be good sellers, I would expect to see what you are talking about. A full size with slide mounted RDS and some aggressive slide cuts.

As with everything else, you could just get the slide milled yourself or just buy a rear dovetail plate mount.

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:29:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Taurus sells the complete competition top end for like $200.  Too bad it doesn't fit the compact.  I like everything about the compact except the poor accuracy.  I'm pretty sure moving the optic to the barrel would solve that.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:05:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Started with this...

Picked this up today...Move over, Walther....

Silencer Shop SSH Special Edition.  She's a peach!
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:26:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: airman100] [#10]
Originally Posted By Green0:
I think a Smith and wesson 41 would be really nice, but they are never threaded and they cost enough to discourage a person from considering them.
View Quote

@Green0 You just have to be at the right place, at the right time.

This was a (limited) run of Bully Barrel-inspired barrels made by EWK Arms, more than a decade ago, when I was shooting bullseye. It came with the 1/2-28 threaded brake. It (the barrel) was quite reasonable at the time- I think in the mid 300s. His website is still up, and it advertises a SW41 barrel threading service (but he quit making barrels a long time ago).

Clark Custom Guns also sells SW41 drop in threaded barrels, but they do cost enough to discourage a person from considering them.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:10:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Tx22 comp with a holosun, can and 25rnd mags is my favorite so far
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:42:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Ruger MKIV 22/45 tactical, loving my new Rugged Mustang on it
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:47:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Mfinaustin:
Volquartsen  Ruger platform, far beyond a standard ruger.  I no longer even grab my rugers. You can buy multiple rugers like many here have and still not scratch the itch.  Volquartsen is Buttahhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/499991/IMG_0248_jpeg-3198430.JPG
View Quote
Indeed.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:25:09 PM EDT
[#14]

Yep, I see that now, I honestly hadn't looked at the TX much since I was shopping before I got the P322. From the Taurus page, filtering for optics ready, it looks like the regular tx22 doesn't have an optics ready version, but the compact and competition do. The compact comes with a 13 rd magazine although I'd assume it can probably take the larger 16 rd magazines. That might be a differentiator to some folks.

One that I definitely wouldn't recommend is the SR22, it's got a weird safety/decocker/mag safety, is a strange size at least for me, and the buffer on mine pops out during firing. Probably should get it fixed, but I got it before the current generation of higher capacity .22 pistols came out and it just really doesn't compare.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Mblades:  They make a RDS compatible compact.
https://www.ssusa.org/media/0uwlpn1q/tx22compact-3.jpg

The decocking safety of the SR22 isn't weird in & of itself, that's a very normal arrangement on double action/single action guns, like the SR 22 - Beretta 92, S&W 59, Walther P38.  The weird thing about the SR 22 safety is it's backwards to most safeties.

I put my MIL into an SR22 long slide as she could cock the hammer before racking the slide, and it gave her the most velocity in that platform as well as the longest sight radius.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:35:34 PM EDT
[#15]
TX 22 for me.  Much better than my 22/45.  Better than my G44.  Better than my Cadet upper for my CZ75 or my Cadet upper for my CZ P-09.

I bought a second one.  I put a rear sight plate adapter on my first one and have a red dot on it.  Left the second one stock.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:45:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

The decocking safety of the SR22 isn't weird in & of itself, that's a very normal arrangement on double action/single action guns, like the SR 22 - Beretta 92, S&W 59, Walther P38.  The weird thing about the SR 22 safety is it's backwards to most safeties.

I put my MIL into an SR22 long slide as she could cock the hammer before racking the slide, and it gave her the most velocity in that platform as well as the longest sight radius.
View Quote

Right the fact that it's all backwards from normal is what makes it weird for me. I also hate the mag safety, just hard for me to come up with a redeeming quality for mine.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:10:59 AM EDT
[#17]
I have several rugers, just wish they didn’t choke after a couple hundred rounds suppressed.  I only use CCI standard.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:17:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Attachment Attached File

I like my Buckmark.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:50:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By ArizonaAR:

What adapter did you use on the M&P Compact to mount your rds? I'd like to do that with mine. Also is that a Rugged Mustang on there?
View Quote

I cant recall the exact one, but if you google "S&W 22 dovetail mount" or something like that you should find some choices. Something like this

@ArizonaAR
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:20:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Ruger MKIV is pretty tough to beat imo.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:35:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By 2JokersWild:

I cant recall the exact one, but if you google "S&W 22 dovetail mount" or something like that you should find some choices. Something like this

@ArizonaAR
View Quote

Many thanks!
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:40:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:02:57 PM EDT
[#23]
OP, check out the M&P 22 compact. Mine has been an excellent pistol.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:27:34 PM EDT
[#24]

View All Quotes

I think you are spot on with regard to the full size not getting an optics cut. I think slide weight is the reason we don’t see more 22lr pistols that are optics ready, Glock hasn’t seemed to figure it out yet.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:24:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VTD] [#25]
Skip the FN 502

Too many issues for the price point. I want to love it but it's only reliable when squeaky clean, the slide gets sluggish very quickly, the magazines are weak and my slide stop rounded over making it impossible to manually lock the slide open until I replaced it.

I'm done with Umarex guns.

Love my MKIV

Picking up a tx22 compact this week.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:09:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Volquartsen Mamba-X, Rugged Mustang.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:02:14 PM EDT
[#27]
P-17 all day long. They are accurate and reliable.
Attachment Attached File

I've bought 8. Give as gifts to the family, and best friend who went on to buy another. I use them as training guns.  This one is burnt bronze
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 1:08:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Have to put one thing out there about the TX22...

Mine refuses to shoot with the ejection port to the clouds "gangsta style."  FTE almost every time.  Just not a good pistol to practice the "one hand cocked to the side up high with your other hand holding your drawers up while hopping backwards" tactical maneuver.  Just sayin...

Otherwise it's an amazing pistol.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:12:53 AM EDT
[#29]
I want to like my CP33 much more than i do - 50-rd mags (w/oem extension) is a major plus shooting .22lr.

I like my mkii slabside competition quite well, but it's not my favorite to carry around.

Years ago I had the urge to get a Beretta Bobcat 21A...despite the inherent limitations, they have plenty of great qualities. Thanks to last summer/ fall's rebate and cooperative distributor pricing yielding threaded models for $310 incl. taxes, shipping, transfer fees, I have a couple. Super fun short range plinking, easy to carry in a pocket, fun to practice with at 'longer' ranges (for me, after 15', it takes increasing effort to get good groups). Ti Sparrow keeps it light.

I don't plan to thread it, but Single-six convertible 5.5" is incredibly satisfying to shoot.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:24:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Steamedliver:
I have several rugers, just wish they didn’t choke after a couple hundred rounds suppressed.  I only use CCI standard.
View Quote

Try using Hornady One Shot only, no other cleaners or lube.  It works very well on semi auto .22’s.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top