Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

CAT suppressors Vol.2 (Page 14 of 16)
Page / 16
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 6:18:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I wonder what the super thug is compared to the WB?
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 6:23:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Tug153:
I wonder what the super thug is compared to the WB?
View Quote

My guess is it'll be the same size as the Noah( a tad over 6 inches) but have its stack optimized more for 5.56 vs 6arc. Might be able to squeeze out a little more performance out of the longer silencer for people interested in that.

I think it have to have a big jump in performance to be more popular than the WB though.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 8:28:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eagarminuteman] [#3]
Originally Posted By The_Sugar_Weasel:
Benowitz: 22Ir K can?
Short Round: 22Ir
Kitty Kat: 5.56 Micro can
White Bread: 5.56 Smedium can
Super Thug: 5.56 Can
TSWIF: Extension Module Can
Noah: 6mm Can
RAT: 300blk Rattler Can
Dirty Dave: 7.62 K Can
Akbar: Some other 7.62 can?
0I Dirty Bastard: 7.62 Can
Johnny Law: 308 Can
Big Black KOTH: 8.6blk Can
Street Crack: 9mm pistol Can
Mobster: 9mm Sub Gun Can
Saigon Peacekeeper: 45cal pistol Can
Banditto: 45cal Sub Gun Can

This was posted on the gram by Mr recce, CATs supposed known line up.

Pretty hyped to check put the "kitty kat" I like the idea of a sub 5 inch 5.56 can. I have a YHM Fat Cat coming and would love to see more Silencers in this space.
View Quote

Personally I’m most interested in getting a WB for my 14.5 mid setup. Hoping to snag one when a 718 next becomes available.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 8:40:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By eagarminuteman:

Personally I’m most interested in getting a WB for my 14.5 mid setup. Hoping to snag one when a 718 next becomes available.
View Quote

I think they should limit releases of other skus till they can get some real numbers of the wb 718 out there. Seems like tons of people are waiting just to even order one. While the Ti option sits in stock.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 11:15:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:06:32 AM EDT
[#6]
I am a little perplexed by the claims of development for special forces/military... without offering proof or specifics it sounds like BS.  Does anyone have any concrete information about this?

I have a WB on preorder but my biggest concern right now is the longevity/viability of the company long-term.  From what I understand, we don't know who actually runs it and they don't actually make them, they're an R&D company... that along with the marketing debacle early on leave a need for CAT to establish trust with the community.  Vague claims like incorporating technology "from another industry" in their baffle design leave me wondering what exactly is going on in there...  

That said, I think the performance speaks for itself (which is why I bought one).  But I fully understand being an early adopter with a company like this is a gamble, especially on what is essentially a lifetime purchase.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:28:13 PM EDT
[#7]
CAT is open-sourcing their mount to encourage other manufacturers to make devices. Cool.

From their Instagram:
As you all know, we hate the noise, all this industry tomfoolery, why we have fun with the marketing cheese. So in the name of giving you more, we present to you the Spooky MD schematics. Now available on the Open Source tab on our website. Go check it out, get your favorite manufacturer to make you something cheaper and potentially even better. We don’t like proprietary attachment devices and we’d rather not outsource to OEM’s in small volume (which makes shit expensive and you pay more). So, open source you shall have.

In addition, we see rising material costs on the horizon, so we can keep suppressor pricing the same for way longer if we opt out of making a muzzle device we OEM anyway. So come Q4 2024, you’ll be able to buy a CAT suppressor and then buy any compatible FH or Brake from a CGS or Cobalt or anyone else making their version off our footprint. Then these new manufacturers do what they do, we’ll focus on what we do, and you get competitive pricing and design. By offering open sourcing of the schematic now, the market will have plenty of notice to make compatible muzzle devices when this change comes. Don’t worry, we’ll have some available. You’re Welcome.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:52:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By DDS87:
CAT is open-sourcing their mount to encourage other manufacturers to make devices. Cool.

From their Instagram:
View Quote

Yo that’s pretty cool.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 11:52:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Very cool.

For anyone that's been waiting on a 718 ODB QD/1x16 LH - they're in stock now at SS.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 12:14:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By CiggyTardust:
I am a little perplexed by the claims of development for special forces/military... without offering proof or specifics it sounds like BS.  Does anyone have any concrete information about this?

I have a WB on preorder but my biggest concern right now is the longevity/viability of the company long-term.  From what I understand, we don't know who actually runs it and they don't actually make them, they're an R&D company... that along with the marketing debacle early on leave a need for CAT to establish trust with the community.  Vague claims like incorporating technology "from another industry" in their baffle design leave me wondering what exactly is going on in there...  

That said, I think the performance speaks for itself (which is why I bought one).  But I fully understand being an early adopter with a company like this is a gamble, especially on what is essentially a lifetime purchase.
View Quote

You can find pictures of nearly every imaginable unit these including the most secretive SMUs. None have shown up with CAT products.  It is all marketing noise because they sent a sample to someone that told them via email were a SEAL or something. Buy based upon your needs.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 1:31:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By call_me_ski:

You can find pictures of nearly every imaginable unit these including the most secretive SMUs. None have shown up with CAT products.  It is all marketing noise because they sent a sample to someone that told them via email were a SEAL or something. Buy based upon your needs.
View Quote

If they licensed out any portion of their suppressor tech, I wouldn't expect to see any familiar CAT branding used by the licensee.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 2:50:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By wavebywave:

If they licensed out any portion of their suppressor tech, I wouldn't expect to see any familiar CAT branding used by the licensee.
View Quote
the cans in use by western SOF (and even some equatorial ones) are well-known makes, and mostly well-known models.

What patent numbers are they licensing?
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 2:52:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1168RGR] [#13]
Double
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 3:47:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By 1168RGR:
the cans in use by western SOF (and even some equatorial ones) are well-known makes, and mostly well-known models.

What patent numbers are they licensing?
View Quote

I don't believe we know what type of IP they've licensed and for what product category (typically, confidentiality is key in tech licensing agreements). Outliers certainly exist; however, licensees usually benefit by utilizing the licensor's tech via current/future products sold and marketed by their company's public facing brand - not often do they make it a point to promote the licensor's (R&D firm's) tech/tradenames to their customers.  

To me as a consumer, and as it relates to CAT, the aforementioned practice doesn't influence my personal buying decisions positively or negatively - I only care about the performance of CAT's products that are made available to me.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 4:18:25 PM EDT
[#15]

I don't believe we know what type of IP they've licensed and for what product category (typically, confidentiality is key in tech licensing agreements). Outliers certainly exist; however, licensees usually benefit by utilizing the licensor's tech via current/future products sold and marketed by their company's public facing brand - not often do they make it a point to promote the licensor's (R&D firm's) tech/tradenames to their customers.  

To me as a consumer, and as it relates to CAT, the aforementioned practice doesn't influence my personal buying decisions positively or negatively - I only care about the performance of CAT's products that are made available to me.
View Quote

I would dare to guess that statement isn't true. For example if a company made the magical <5" flow through with perfect flash suppressant and leading sound suppression but gave all their earnings to anti-2A organizations and the ATF I would imagine (hope) you would look past the specs of the can.

I prefer not to give shitty people money for being shitty, why reward the behavior? It speaks volumes about the personality of those who do.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 4:37:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By UMP45_Enthusiast:

I would dare to guess that statement isn't true. For example if a company made the magical <5" flow through with perfect flash suppressant and leading sound suppression but gave all their earnings to anti-2A organizations and the ATF I would imagine (hope) you would look past the specs of the can.

I prefer not to give shitty people money for being shitty, why reward the behavior? It speaks volumes about the personality of those who do.
View Quote

You took my statement out of the "licensing" context that I thought was obvious; however, sure - I like to buy products from organizations that are pro 2a.

Are you aware of a suppressor company that gives a portion of its earnings to anti-2a organizations? Doesn't seem like a good strategy for a business that generates revenue via the sale of NFA regulated 2A items....
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 4:59:09 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

And, "CAT" is this R&D company's civilian and public-oriented brand for selling suppressor designs in the US.

Anyone know what the Activity or their European counterparts have been experimenting with the past couple years? Got any sweet pictures?

Originally Posted By wavebywave:Are you aware of a suppressor company that gives a portion of its earnings to anti-2a organizations? Doesn't seem like a good strategy for a business that generates revenue via the sale of NFA regulated 2A items....

I wonder if UMP45_Enthusiast is also a SureFire enthusiast?
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 12:17:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Cat JL (308 can, first one released without the surge bypass/hybrid flowthrough) pewscience testing was released today.

Going to be plenty of hurt feelings over the results.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 12:18:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Jay dropped two new reviews on the CAT 9mm sub gun can and their 30 cal bolt gun can.

JL 308 Bolt Gun Suppressor

MOB 9mm Subgun Suppressor
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 12:20:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By AleksanderSuave:
Cat JL (308 can, first one released without the surge bypass/hybrid flowthrough) pewscience testing was released today.

Going to be plenty of hurt feelings over the results.
View Quote

Not really.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 1:11:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Only if you two haven’t bought them yet.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 1:29:01 PM EDT
[#22]
There's like 4 day turn arounds right now. Why are there literally zero user pics and videos that aren't sponsored?
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 1:30:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 1:45:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By LuckyDucky:
I'm curious what goes into the suppression rating even more now. The MOB had a 3rd round pop of 170 dB?
View Quote

Looking at the graph for impulse over time it is listed for the CAT MOB with shot 1, 2, and 4. Shot three was omitted.  

Curiously the same graph for the GSL Phoenix is done simply for shots 1, 2, and 3.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 1:59:50 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm curious what goes into the suppression rating even more now. The MOB had a 3rd round pop of 170 dB?
View Quote

The pressure is in Pascals on that particular graph, so just over 138 dB if you convert it. I find it strange that shot 3 is omitted and nothing said about it in the analysis though.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 2:00:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eagarminuteman] [#26]
Originally Posted By call_me_ski:

Looking at the graph for impulse over time it is listed for the CAT MOB with shot 1, 2, and 4. Shot three was omitted.  

Curiously the same graph for the GSL Phoenix is done simply for shots 1, 2, and 3.
View Quote

Noticed this as well. Reached out to Jay for clarification, but with him I never know when or if I’ll get a response.

Edit: Quick email reply. Apparently I wasn’t the first to question this. Here’s what his response was:

"I have a few guesses.  When I look at the data really closely, what I suspect may have happened is either some unburnt powder granules from previous tests, or some other thing, caused latent combustion (this is just a guess - but the spike is actually a shock).  The duration is incredibly short.  The silencer has a removable end cap, so, I'm not sure if in testing and changing, there was buildup on it when I switched it out to this variant.

The interesting part is that you catch it in the impulse histories because of this (good eye) and the event is of such short duration that normalization in the impulse history happens really quickly.  So, you return to the baseline flow almost immediately.  In hindsight, it could have been a cool thing to show in the article and talk about but I am still not 100% sure if this is system driven or test driven, meaning that I don't know if it is an anomaly.  I suspect it is an anomaly, because we tested this system a lot, with multiple variants, and this is the only instance of that particular short duration shock at peak distal flow.  I actually don't recall why I showed Shot 4 in the impulse close-in view instead of Shot 3, but it might have been because I wanted to highlight something before the peak flow, like the FRP divergence.  I really don't remember.  Regardless, I just double-checked and I am not seeing that shock in other tests.

I hope that helps - good eye, man! I should talk about this on the podcast next week."
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 2:06:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: india13c] [#27]
Originally Posted By hoody2shoez:
There's like 4 day turn arounds right now. Why are there literally zero user pics and videos that aren't sponsored?
View Quote

My dealer has them in stock.  I’ve bought 3 cans in the last 2 weeks, all of them already in my hands.  He’s had cans flying out the door with approval times.

I told him I won’t buy one of these unless I saw the performance in person at this point and he hasn’t sold a single one yet.

Link Posted: 4/10/2024 2:07:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AleksanderSuave] [#28]
View Quote

The JL is a model who's product page went live on silencershop's website pretty much today, for pre/back-order.

Are you expecting people to have traveled through time to acquire one?

I contacted them a week ago to try to place a backorder (before the page was live) and they said it was not possible. Not sure what else to tell you.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 3:08:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LuckyDucky] [#29]
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 3:20:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zentradi] [#30]
PTR VENT 2 https://www.ptr-us.com/product/vent-2/
Weight8.9 oz
Length 7.6"
Diameter1.5"

CAT MOB A1 https://specterscat.com/product/cat-mob/
Weight Titanium: 10.2 oz (Core) *
Overall Length: 7.39”
Diameter: 1.65”

So the PTR is quieter, lighter, thinner, incorporates an integral BPISTIN piston mount, and is only .21 inches longer?   The lighter PTR utilizes the industry standard alpha thread, while CAT uses HUB so that's pretty much even.  Yet, Pew describes the CAT as being grossly quieter and a more competitive design envelope.

"The CAT MOB produces a gross sound field on this weapon system quieter than a PTR VENT 2 and GSL Phoenix in a more competitive design envelope, which is notable."  https://pewscience.com/sound-signature-reviews-free/sss-6-148-cat-mob-sp5

Interesting.    

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 4:16:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AleksanderSuave] [#31]
Originally Posted By zentradi:

So the PTR is quieter, lighter, thinner, incorporates an integral BPISTIN piston mount, and is only .21 inches longer?   The lighter PTR utilizes the industry standard alpha thread, while CAT uses HUB so that's pretty much even.  Yet, Pew describes the CAT as being grossly quieter and a more competitive design envelope.

"The CAT MOB produces a gross sound field on this weapon system quieter than a PTR VENT 2 and GSL Phoenix in a more competitive design envelope, which is notable."  https://pewscience.com/sound-signature-reviews-free/sss-6-148-cat-mob-sp5

Interesting.    

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Interesting.    

What are you basing your comment of
PTR is quieter
on? His testing of the two showed both the at ear and muzzle suppression to be higher on the Cat Mobster.

Neither of the two were at the "silencer sound summit" so there isnt another source of truth to compare to at this time either.

Link Posted: 4/10/2024 4:22:39 PM EDT
[#32]

What are you basing your comment of  on? His testing of the two showed both the at ear and muzzle suppression to be higher on the Cat Mobster.

Neither of the two were at the "silencer sound summit" so there isnt another source of truth to compare to at this time either.

View Quote

I think he’s going off the peak muzzle db, in which case yes the PTR is quieter. The at ear db numbers favor the CAT though.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 4:53:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pearsco] [#33]
Originally Posted By india13c:

My dealer has them in stock.  I’ve bought 3 cans in the last 2 weeks, all of them already in my hands.  He’s had cans flying out the door with approval times.

I told him I won’t buy one of these unless I saw the performance in person at this point and he hasn’t sold a single one yet.

View Quote

Can you share the dealer? I'd like to see which ones they have instock.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 5:10:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DDS87] [#34]
PTR VENT 2 https://www.ptr-us.com/product/vent-2/
Weight8.9 oz
Length 7.6"
Diameter1.5"

CAT MOB A1 https://specterscat.com/product/cat-mob/
Weight Titanium: 10.2 oz (Core) *
Overall Length: 7.39”
Diameter: 1.65”

Interesting.    

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14200/ptr_png-3184289.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14200/cat_png-3184290.JPG
View Quote

Notice how not all the data is visible? Shooter's ear matters when assessing the risk to the shooter.

To illustrate, let's consider the Sierra 5. At the Silencer Summit, it's weighted muzzle signature compared respectably well with silencers of similar size and weight. However, it was the worst of all silencers tested when it came to the weighted shooter's ear measurement.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 5:18:59 PM EDT
[#35]

What are you basing your comment of  on? His testing of the two showed both the at ear and muzzle suppression to be higher on the Cat Mobster.

View Quote

The muzzle numbers that PEW reported.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/10/2024 5:41:33 PM EDT
[#36]

The muzzle numbers that PEW reported.
View Quote

What if there was more to suppression than raw dB numbers?
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 5:44:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LuckyDucky] [#37]
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 5:51:46 PM EDT
[#38]

That's what Jay would probably say, or something with more sciency words.

The CAT chart does not appear to stay as high for as long. Look at Figure 2b.
View Quote

Yeah probably, his career has been studying this kind of thing.

Exactly, there are other factors. Duration, frequency, phase, probably another I don't remember off the cuff.

Link Posted: 4/10/2024 5:52:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 7:11:26 PM EDT
[#40]
For any type of moderate to accelerated courses of fire, the faster blow down of the MOB would be a significant benefit.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 7:29:32 PM EDT
[#41]
I shot my Lithium this weekend on a SP5 along with some full size pistol cans (Tirant 9M and CGS Kraken). All sounded very good where the action noise was the prevailing noise to my ears. I see where the action noise is called out on the graph and shows a lower intensity vs. the fired shot but to my ears the action noise is the dominant sound.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 8:55:09 PM EDT
[#42]
I really want to shoot a lithium - seems like it does an incredible job for its size/weight.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 9:06:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Yeah probably, his career has been studying this kind of thing.
View Quote

Firearm sound suppression is barely related to his day job.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 9:06:33 PM EDT
[#44]
I really want to shoot a lithium - seems like it does an incredible job for its size/weight.
View Quote

Wanted to buy one recently, but my dealer is still out of stock.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 9:19:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Pomyluy:

Firearm sound suppression is barely related to his day job.
View Quote

He analyzes/assess risk involved with contained explosions...which is "barely" what is involved with a suppressed firearm.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 11:24:40 PM EDT
[#46]

Notice how not all the data is visible? Shooter's ear matters when assessing the risk to the shooter.

To illustrate, let's consider the Sierra 5. At the Silencer Summit, it's weighted muzzle signature compared respectably well with silencers of similar size and weight. However, it was the worst of all silencers tested when it came to the weighted shooter's ear measurement.
View Quote

This is exactly the point that he tried to explain to KB of Q, when the guy started foaming at the mouth about a "pepsi challenge" to identify the sound of one can or another.

If you have prior hearing loss, or damage, obviously one can won't sound the same to you as it would to someone else without it. "identifying" one vs. the other isnt an objective test. Frequency of sound waves can affect how loud a sound is perceived to be, making the human ear an unreliable test for whether something is damaging to it or not.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 11:47:42 PM EDT
[#47]
View Quote

Search make and model in YouTube videos and reels and filter by upload date. Also, on Instagram, if you’re on it, click CAT’s profile and then the tagged section. Good amount of non sponsored videos. There’s some on Reddit as well but harder to find.

If it weren’t for 3 week form3’s and slow trust form4’s - I’d be able to show the SR and 718 ODB.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:28:46 AM EDT
[#48]

This is exactly the point that he tried to explain to KB of Q, when the guy started foaming at the mouth about a "pepsi challenge" to identify the sound of one can or another.

If you have prior hearing loss, or damage, obviously one can won't sound the same to you as it would to someone else without it. "identifying" one vs. the other isnt an objective test. Frequency of sound waves can affect how loud a sound is perceived to be, making the human ear an unreliable test for whether something is damaging to it or not.
View Quote

I think people don't realize they are sometimes speaking different languages. Some of it comes down to what "sound suppression" means to a person. If you want to pick the quietest sounding suppressor, Jay's ratings are not very helpful and may actually lead you astray. If you are trying to pick the suppressor that will do the least damage to your ears, Jay's numbers may be helpful, depending on your use case.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 3:54:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pool_shark] [#49]
IMO this DB chasing has gotten out of hand on all levels. If a can sounds good to you and doesnt make you look like a chimney sweeper, is that not good enough?

Have a CAT WB-TI, great can low backpressure, sounds great. Replaced a Saker K
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 11:33:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By peachy:

I think people don't realize they are sometimes speaking different languages. Some of it comes down to what "sound suppression" means to a person. If you want to pick the quietest sounding suppressor, Jay's ratings are not very helpful and may actually lead you astray. If you are trying to pick the suppressor that will do the least damage to your ears, Jay's numbers may be helpful, depending on your use case.
View Quote

When did the definition of "sound suppression" become varied? Is there not a correlative relationship between sound level and hearing damage?
Page / 16
CAT suppressors Vol.2 (Page 14 of 16)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top