Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 17
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 10:58:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By alpha0815:
Are y’all saying it takes CA 3+ weeks to ship the can, after it’s been approved?
View Quote

They notify the CLEO and there is a waiting period after notification.  They explain it pretty well.  It adds time but the convenience of this is worth it to me due to my work schedule.  My late December submission was approved on 02/14 and my cans are supposed to ship by 02/29.  So far, I'm loving this whole deal.  I love that I no longer have to drag my ass down town to get fingerprints and meet the Sheriff (long time ago) and now with this I don't even have to go pick them up.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 11:46:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Are y’all saying it takes CA 3+ weeks to ship the can, after it’s been approved?
View Quote

It's pretty variable depending on CLEO notifications, holidays, weekends, etc.

I can see how the convenience is great for folks who are far from their dealer, work odd shifts, busy with work, etc.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 11:53:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: alpha0815] [#3]
Im only a month in from submission on my first CA can and I completely get how it’s more convenient for some folks but I have a great SOT / SilencerShop dealer nearby.

They certify the day they receive the can from SS (1 week) and I get to pick it up the day the approval hits my inbox.

I’ll have to read up on the CLEO thing. Not sure why SS is able to handle it prior to receiving stamp.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 7:52:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 12:26:26 PM EDT
[#5]
View Quote

Mine usually takes a week and a half to ship. I have a CLEO that always accepts the certified mail quickly. I had an issue initially having the 4473 sent to my local CLEO and it took 2 - 3 weeks for the certified mail receipt to be available. Since using my state CLEO, it has went much smoother.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 1:18:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#6]

I'll have to read up on the CLEO thing. Not sure why SS is able to handle it prior to receiving stamp.
View Quote
SS is not shipping to your door. They sell you the can, F3 it to your local dealer and the dealer does the transfer to you over the counter.

Once the can is in the dealer's hands, SS is out of the picture (other than populating the F4 for the dealer). It's between you and your local dealer after that.

CA provides the service of both the sale and the transfer. Since they do it via online docs and shipping the can to you, the FATF requires extra hoops to jump through. Extra security theater apparently makes the ATF feel better.

Link Posted: 2/26/2024 3:29:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By dmk0210:
SS is not shipping to your door. They sell you the can, F3 it to your local dealer and the dealer does the transfer to you over the counter.

Once the can is in the dealer's hands, SS is out of the picture (other than populating the F4 for the dealer). It's between you and your local dealer after that.

CA provides the service of both the sale and the transfer. Since they do it via online docs and shipping the can to you, the FATF requires extra hoops to jump through. Extra security theater apparently makes the ATF feel better.

View Quote

yes, this.

still, imo, using CA was easier than SS, but you do you.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 4:17:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't really have any complaints, I just think I'll only use them if they have something in stock that SS doesn't have at the time (Like this RC2).

The "Ship to your home" is convenient if you don't have an FFL that deals with NFA transfers nearby.
My OCL Polonium from SS was approved 4 days after my RC2 from CA, by the time I get the RC2 I'll have had the Polo in my possession for 3+ weeks.

I fully understand why, so I'm not knocking them because of that.

Link Posted: 2/28/2024 8:15:59 PM EDT
[#9]
My first box of cans arrived today from Griffin Armament direct sales via Capitol Armory.  The whole thing was smooth and convenient.  I foresee using Capitol Armory future purchases.  Silencer Shop purchases always went smoothly as well, but getting the items shipped right to my house adds another level of convenience.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 8:46:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By slowkota1:
I don't really have any complaints, I just think I'll only use them if they have something in stock that SS doesn't have at the time (Like this RC2).

The "Ship to your home" is convenient if you don't have an FFL that deals with NFA transfers nearby.
My OCL Polonium from SS was approved 4 days after my RC2 from CA, by the time I get the RC2 I'll have had the Polo in my possession for 3+ weeks.

https://i.imgur.com/IYOquOH.jpg
View Quote

Were they both submitted at the same time?
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 9:36:12 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

I started using SS because I could buy a can no matter where I was on the planet. I bought 5 or 6 cans while I was in South Korea, Doha and Dubai.

I stopped using SS because of their need to certify in person. I have more than a few SS dealers at home, but I’m still not home for a good portion of the year.

CA let’s me buy no matter where I’m at and that alone makes it worth the 2 extra weeks it takes me to get my cans after the stamp comes back.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 8:43:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By cardboardkiller:

I started using SS because I could buy a can no matter where I was on the planet. I bought 5 or 6 cans while I was in South Korea, Doha and Dubai.

I stopped using SS because of their need to certify in person. I have more than a few SS dealers at home, but I’m still not home for a good portion of the year.

CA let’s me buy no matter where I’m at and that alone makes it worth the 2 extra weeks it takes me to get my cans after the stamp comes back.
View Quote

You had to Certify in person with SS??? Dang

Everything was identical for me besides having .eft fingerprint cards made so I could do that digitally for CA instead of mailing in physical FD-258s.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 8:47:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By koz4guns:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By koz4guns:

Certified 4 days apart.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 9:29:38 AM EDT
[#14]

Everything was identical for me besides having .eft fingerprint cards made so I could do that digitally for CA instead of mailing in physical FD-258s.
View Quote

I haven’t done anything with SS since the certification nonsense came into play. For half of the year or better I can’t go to an SS dealer to certify.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 9:54:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BullpupFan] [#15]

I haven’t done anything with SS since the certification nonsense came into play. For half of the year or better I can’t go to an SS dealer to certify.
View All Quotes

Yeah, thread’s getting off topic but FWIW I certified via online session with my local SS dealer on 12-11-2023 so the in-person “requirement” is news to me. I wonder if less tech savvy SS dealers are the issue?

Ironically I certified in person with CA on a business trip and that was clearly NOT the typical/desired way to do it but they were happy to accommodate me.

I appreciate SS blazing the trail they did and there are advantages to both systems so I’m a satisfied customer of both.

Back to discussing experiences with CA!
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 10:22:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 11:12:24 AM EDT
[#17]

Certified 4 days apart.
View Quote

But most people like me had to wait 2 weeks on the front end of the SS process for them to ship the suppressor to the local dealer.
So usually you have a wait on the front end before you certify or a wait on the back end after the approval, most people forget about the wait on the front.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:18:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cardboardkiller] [#18]
OCL Titanium:

Individual
EFT prints
Bought: 2-10-2024
Signed: 2-11-2024
Certified: 2-12-2024
Submitted: 2-12-2024
Approved: 2-29-2024

Examiner: Emmanuel Andino

I’m out of town for work, so it’ll be about 3 weeks before I fill out the 4473. Last time it was about 2 weeks from 4473 to my door.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:42:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Got my 338ultra SR approved two days ago. Submitted Jan 15.  Filled out my 4473 and Cleo online that night.  CA sent me an email saying it would be 14 business days (aka 3 weeks) for waiting on Cleo to acknowledge receipt then the 7 day waiting period.  Then x more days of shipping
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:44:11 PM EDT
[#20]
OCL Titanium:

Individual
EFT prints
Bought: 2-10-2024
Signed: 2-11-2024
Certified: 2-12-2024
Submitted: 2-12-2024
Approved: 2-29-2024

Examiner: Emmanuel Andino

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/31823/IMG_8516-3144965.jpg

I’m out of town for work, so it’ll be about 3 weeks before I fill out the 4473. Last time it was about 2 weeks from 4473 to my door.
View Quote

I just got my Lithium a few weeks ago. Paired with a YHM Tri Lug and it is awesome on my SP5K-PDW.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 3:57:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Just got the eForm notification of approval. 1 month and 5 days.

Will CA send out an email on the 4473 request? If so, how long does it usually take for them to make that happen now that it's "approved".
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 4:03:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FAL] [#22]
Just got the eForm notification of approval. 1 month and 5 days.

Will CA send out an email on the 4473 request? If so, how long does it usually take for them to make that happen now that it's "approved".
View Quote
I was told that they pull them manually a couple of times a day so you should receive an email from them today. If you don't get one by tomorrow morning, I'd call them tomorrow afternoon. In both cases for me, I heard form them within 24 hours after getting ATF approval.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 4:13:44 PM EDT
[#23]
I’m tempted to buy one as an individual vs trust just to see what happens.  Seems like all these quickies are individual   Have 2 from 12/2/23 still waiting for on a trust.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 4:33:17 PM EDT
[#24]
With E-forms down  it made me sad. I had 2 more cans in my cart. so I guess the question is if they keep eff forms down do we go to paper?  how does that work?

Link Posted: 2/29/2024 5:08:16 PM EDT
[#25]
I was just sitting here wondering the same thing. I’ve got five more cans that are paid for but haven’t transferred to my local dealer yet.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 12:19:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bad2006z71] [#26]
Thinking about my 1st Capitol armory purchase.
Is the NFAReview/BATFE Form 4 transfer fee the $200 tax stamp or is this an additional fee CA charges and I still pay the $200 tax stamp?

Edit: Read the FAQ section and looks like that was for the tax stamp. Placed my 1st order.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 12:51:38 PM EDT
[#27]
This wait today, seems longer than waiting for approval.

Gimme gimme!
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 12:55:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By bad2006z71:
Is the NFAReview/BATFE Form 4 transfer fee the $200 tax stamp or is this an additional fee CA charges and I still pay the $200 tax stamp?
View Quote

Thats your stamp. 👍
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 12:58:55 PM EDT
[#29]

Thats your stamp.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bad2006z71:

Thats your stamp.

Yea it was throwing me off as it was $184, found out it auto applied a discount code on the stamp.
Still will be a couple of bucks higher than my local dealer due to shipping, but the local guy doesn't have one right now.
It's my suppressor and I want it now.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 6:18:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 10:28:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Just called to certify. Process so far has been easy and fairly quick. Here's hoping for a 2day approval like my Mustang earlier this month
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 1:20:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Got her on the 7th
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 9:17:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Glocked] [#33]
3 more approvals from Capitol last week. 1st was a single approval, 2nd & 3rd were batch approved after contacting an examiner.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 9:55:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Trying my hand at the direct from Griffin via Capitol Armory deal. Their military discount is just too good not take advantage of. Got a Resistance 9 pending and really contemplating an Explorr. So far the process has been simple.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:34:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Giving Capital Armory a try. They had just relieved the Nomad L in stock and apparently it was the last/only one.

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 10:15:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tortilla-flats] [#36]
Got my first approval via CA today. In hand by EOW?

Also ordered a Rugged Mustang 22 this morning.

Approvals this quick are going to be expensive.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 11:55:27 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By tortilla-flats:

View Quote
The only problem is, everything I want has been out of stock for a while now.

I guess that's par for the course in an election year.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 1:57:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: slowkota1] [#38]

View Quote

Lol... No.

You have to wait until they have you sign the 4473, and fill out your CLEO info. They then mail that out.
Once recieved you'll be notified of the 7 day waiting period before they ship it.

You're looking at ~3-4 weeks

*Edit, I see you're in TX... So it'll probably be a lot quicker than us out of staters.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 2:40:12 PM EDT
[#39]

Lol... No.

You have to wait until they have you sign the 4473, and fill out your CLEO info. They then mail that out.
Once recieved you'll be notified of the 7 day waiting period before they ship it.

You're looking at ~3-4 weeks

*Edit, I see you're in TX... So it'll probably be a lot quicker than us out of staters.
View Quote

Hmm. Guess I'll keep my local LGS busy then.

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 2:55:05 PM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

Definitely not.
I’m JUST getting mine today that was approved 3 weeks ago. There’s still a ways to go in the process.
Not complaining. Capital makes it easy AF every step of the way. But the one advantage to a local dealer is you can go get it same or next day after approval. Not the case ordering through CA.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 3:01:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By TactiCoolBro:

Definitely not.
I’m JUST getting mine today that was approved 3 weeks ago. There’s still a ways to go in the process.
Not complaining. Capital makes it easy AF every step of the way. But the one advantage to a local dealer is you can go get it same or next day after approval. Not the case ordering through CA.
View Quote

On the other hand, if you're sufficiently motivated, Austin is just a day trip away from pretty much any corner of Texas.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 2:09:37 PM EDT
[#42]
I just submitted my eform 4 with CA a few minutes ago. Reviewing the form I noticed a space was left out on my middle name. My middle name is just 2 letters with a space between them but on the form, the space is left out. This wouldn't be grounds for disapproval right?
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 7:15:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#43]
Originally Posted By jeffhsu95:
I just submitted my eform 4 with CA a few minutes ago. Reviewing the form I noticed a space was left out on my middle name. My middle name is just 2 letters with a space between them but on the form, the space is left out. This wouldn't be grounds for disapproval right?
View Quote
You never know with the ATF.  However, I completely mis-spelled my middle name on at least two F4s and they were approved. I'd say don't bring attention to it and you'll probably be fine.

But on the other hand, it wouldn't hurt to contact Capitol and see what they say. You're only one day in, so they could cancel it and resubmit. It would suck to wait six months and get denied over something as simple as that.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 1:34:09 PM EDT
[#44]
I just bought a Dual-lok 7 from Griffin.  They do "to your door" via Capitol, so my first go around with this.  If it works ok, I'll probably go this route again.  Every dealer in a reasonable driving distance to me is "powered by Silencer Shop" I'll be fine if I never deal with that BS again.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 4:17:48 PM EDT
[#45]
I bought a Resilient Jolene today. First through Capitol.... going to try to get in on this fast individual approval train.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 4:42:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By monkeypunch:
I bought a Resilient Jolene today. First through Capitol.... going to try to get in on this fast individual approval train.
View Quote
This is happening across the board. I've had the same experience with an LGS and with my local FFL using SS.

Link Posted: 3/15/2024 7:12:47 PM EDT
[#47]
This is happening across the board. I've had the same experience with an LGS and with my local FFL using SS.

View Quote

I was trying to get a OCL Hydrogen L to hop on, but no one has them. May end up being a blessing. The Jolene is lighter and performed very close to the Hydrogen in Pew tests and the Silencer Summitt. This will live on a precision hunting gun, and the Nomad L hanging off the end now is just a bit heavy.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 7:23:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Got a promotion so just ordered Recce 5 from griffin. Fingers crossed I hit the approval lottery. Been wanting a lighter 556 can since my only other rifle can is a 762 Specwar .
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 7:38:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Dr_Nimslow:
I just bought a Dual-lok 7 from Griffin.  They do "to your door" via Capitol, so my first go around with this.  If it works ok, I'll probably go this route again.  Every dealer in a reasonable driving distance to me is "powered by Silencer Shop" I'll be fine if I never deal with that BS again.
View Quote

I got my HRT 556 from Griffin through this service. It was a very smooth process and almost identical to the process when purchasing directly through CA with the only difference being where you purchase the can.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 10:58:00 PM EDT
[#50]
I bought my explorer 300 2 days ago, I got the email to do the finger print ( I have an ETF ) and setup up my profile yesterday morning, now silence ( not a pun ). Waiting to to the form 4 stuff, please CA don't forget about me.
Page / 17
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top