Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 9:56:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GarrettJ:

I was wondering why Gemtech uses two 1/8” wipes together. The difficulty cutting the thicker material may be why. The thinner material is easier to work with.
View Quote
ok to use a neoprene sheet?

i actually have a 1/4" chisel (for the x making) and a 24mm punch.  It's less than 1" but close enough.  I might have a 25mm punch somewhere too.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 12:57:31 AM EDT
[#2]
bump as this is good info
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 2:18:52 AM EDT
[#3]
I found some great punches for wipes. Most leather and gasket punches are poor quality steel, not hardened, and not very sharp. I picked up one of these and its awesome. Tip is induction hardened and very sharp. I cut 70 duro 1/8” silicone sheet by just twisting the punch a bit side to side for a few seconds and it cut very clean.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B079VT3Y1Q?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_image
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 9:32:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By n2oiroc:
I found some great punches for wipes. Most leather and gasket punches are poor quality steel, not hardened, and not very sharp. I picked up one of these and its awesome. Tip is induction hardened and very sharp. I cut 70 duro 1/8" silicone sheet by just twisting the punch a bit side to side for a few seconds and it cut very clean.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B079VT3Y1Q?psc=1&;ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_image
View Quote

Interesting.  I have other Osborne punches, but they take a few wacks with a 6 pound dead blow hammer on 1/8" material.  I guess I will give one of this style a try.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 9:39:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By n2oiroc:
I found some great punches for wipes. Most leather and gasket punches are poor quality steel, not hardened, and not very sharp. I picked up one of these and its awesome. Tip is induction hardened and very sharp. I cut 70 duro 1/8” silicone sheet by just twisting the punch a bit side to side for a few seconds and it cut very clean. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B079VT3Y1Q?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_image
View Quote

Thanks for the heads up. I have the one from Mcmaster and haven't been impressed with it. Not a clean cut and takes quite a few blows.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 10:17:30 AM EDT
[#6]
This is what I use to replace wipes on my cans. It’s not the fiber reinforced stuff that EA uses but works well enough for ghost, wolfman, and Vox. The punch set is a cheap chinese one but it’s got a ton of sizes and cutting silicone isn’t a challenge for it. The wipes I make with this material last a hell of a lot longer than the Deadair supplied ones.

Silicone Sheet, 70A Durometer, Smooth Finish, No Backing, Red, 0.125" Thickness, 4" Width, 36" Length
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005JFA2PY

And a punch set,,,
Anytime Tools 13 pc Sharp Hollow Punch Tool Set for Leather and Gasket 3/16" - 1-1/4"
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000Q7AVL0
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 2:04:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Thx @fr3d

Link Posted: 10/7/2020 10:06:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Bobbybananas:
This is what I use to replace wipes on my cans. It’s not the fiber reinforced stuff that EA uses but works well enough for ghost, wolfman, and Vox. The punch set is a cheap chinese one but it’s got a ton of sizes and cutting silicone isn’t a challenge for it. The wipes I make with this material last a hell of a lot longer than the Deadair supplied ones.

Silicone Sheet, 70A Durometer, Smooth Finish, No Backing, Red, 0.125" Thickness, 4" Width, 36" Length
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005JFA2PY

And a punch set,,,
Anytime Tools 13 pc Sharp Hollow Punch Tool Set for Leather and Gasket 3/16" - 1-1/4"
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000Q7AVL0
View Quote

I use this same material on my DA Ghost and Thompson WASP.  I’ve got a couple Osborn Chinese punches from Amazon and they work well.  I don’t bother punching a center hole.  The first round pops one for me.
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 10:28:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By compuvette:

I use this same material on my DA Ghost and Thompson WASP.  I've got a couple Osborn Chinese punches from Amazon and they work well.  I don't bother punching a center hole.  The first round pops one for me.
View Quote
You are a brave man.......
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 10:14:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Is it time to reconsider this thread being a never going to archive post instead of a pinned to the top post?  

-The OP is Hansohn Brothers (a longtime, active and very respected poster/site sponsor)
-OP updates the OP
-Great info
-People keep referring others back to this post
-It has gotten to only page 2, but is probably viewed more than any other broad technical post
-Thread is manufacturer neutral

IMO, this thread is data rich and should be pinned.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 7:14:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By AvalonRifle:
You are a brave man.......
View Quote

Well, so far I’ve had zero issues.........
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 9:27:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Bump to the top. This was a gold mine I had found on google of all places. Pin this up
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 8:48:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BigWaylon] [#13]
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 3:41:26 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't think I have seen any posts about the wipe's durability.   How many rounds are you getting for the factory wipes and the make do wipes of the home depot washer types?
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 5:42:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GarrettJ] [#15]
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 7:23:23 PM EDT
[#16]

You can mod the forum any way you like. But personally, I view this as useful reference material.  It doesn’t need to be actively discussed in order to be useful. And not having to dig through all of the active pages to find it would seem handy. But that’s just me.

But to keep on topic, I’ve been using the red silicone 70A stuff in my Aurora-II that someone mentioned. I wonder if something in a slightly softer 60A or 65A material would hold up a little longer. The 70A stuff tends to start breaking small chunks off almost immediately.
View Quote

Agreed with your first part.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 4:30:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Cargo:
I don't think I have seen any posts about the wipe's durability.   How many rounds are you getting for the factory wipes and the make do wipes of the home depot washer types?
View Quote

I get about 15 rounds thru my Aurora II before it starts getting noisy.  Twenty max.  Glock host (mostly)and AGUILA SUBSONIC 147 GRAIN FMJFP rounds.  Most all of the eight wipes are pretty shot through at that point.

I remake them from a similar to factory spec durometer urethane sheet, with the same "X" cuts, so I can't attest to the "home depot washer type" products.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 5:38:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CTM1] [#18]

You can mod the forum any way you like. But personally, I view this as useful reference material.  It doesn’t need to be actively discussed in order to be useful. And not having to dig through all of the active pages to find it would seem handy. But that’s just me.

But to keep on topic, I’ve been using the red silicone 70A stuff in my Aurora-II that someone mentioned. I wonder if something in a slightly softer 60A or 65A material would hold up a little longer. The 70A stuff tends to start breaking small chunks off almost immediately.
View Quote

Is it really that hard to save the thread to your favorites on your computer and bring it up any time without having to search this forum.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 5:41:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 8:56:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Someone had told me that these would work for the ghost and possibly the wolfman.

https://www.primal23industrial.com/1187-OD-X-187-ID-X-125-Thickness-Oil-Resistant-Neoprene-Rubber-Washers_p_230.html

1.187” OD x.187” ID x125”
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 9:00:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Someone had told me that these would work for the ghost and possibly the wolfman.

https://www.primal23industrial.com/1187-OD-X-187-ID-X-125-Thickness-Oil-Resistant-Neoprene-Rubber-Washers_p_230.html

Link Posted: 11/22/2020 9:05:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Dead Air Ghost
60A Neoprene
1.20" x 1/8", 1/4" center

Dead Air Wolfman
70A Neoprene
5/8"~1" x 1/8", 1/4" center

Link Posted: 11/22/2020 9:26:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:24:19 PM EDT
[#24]
can you shoot hollow points through a wipe?
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:27:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By mjrowley:
View Quote

All the manufacturers I’ve seen say no. You don’t want an expanding round doing it’s job inside your suppressor once it hits the first wipe.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:32:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Outrider:

All the manufacturers I’ve seen say no. You don’t want an expanding round doing it’s job inside your suppressor once it hits the first wipe.
View Quote

I have a Wolfman, Wipe is in the endcap.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:38:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AvalonRifle] [#27]
View Quote

Nope

[EDIT]  Well you can, if you choose to do so.  But if your entire rig goes flying down range, you might want to consider refraining from such activity.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:44:17 PM EDT
[#28]

I have a Wolfman, Wipe is in the endcap.
View Quote

You may be OK there but let’s ask the man @mageever
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:31:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mageever] [#29]

You may be OK there but let’s ask the man @mageever
View Quote

The Ghost Wolfman wipe is 1" diameter and the wipe retainer has a large clamping surface area so it's not necessary to be exact.  I've cut a ton of wipes out of sheet just using scissors and making them octagonal (-ish).  Just get it to fit in and it'll be fine when you tighten it down.  I designed the wipe cap around a 1" faucet washer that you can pick up at the hardware store.  I don't have the part number in front of me, but I think it's in the user manual.

A word on the central hole in Ghost wipe (or the off-the-shelf faucet washer).  If you have exactly the right diameter of wipe, it will place that center hole exactly on the bore line.  The benefit of this is that it minimizes any point of impact change and also a precision change in your grouping when using the wipe.  A solid piece can cause more accuracy and precision change.

Hollow points do just fine with a central alignment hole.

@HansohnBrothers  The wipe durometer we use is 70A for both Ghost and Wolfman.  

Other wipe material bits of info:

-Silicone is very temperature resistant, BUT it's not a tough material and erodes quickly.
-Urethane is very tough, but not temperature resistant.  Net result is it erodes quickly.
-Neoprene is the best all around material.  I found it to be the best blend for toughness as it gets hot and bullets are trying to tear it apart.  
-EPDM lost out to Neoprene on toughness, but handled heat a bit better.  Same for Buna.  They still worked well for me, though.

On Durometer:
70A is more rigid.  It will give you a better sound result, but will wear a little faster.  
60A is more flexible.  It'll last longer but flexes enough that performance isn't always as good.  Bore opening won't open as quickly as 70A, but because it flexes more, it's usually a little louder because gases can push through it so easily.

Remember that durometer ratings of a material are very much an average.  The 60A stuff we first purchased for Ghost production actually fell in the 70A range.  There can be a 10A-20A range in material you buy from Grainger or McMaster.  70A seems more consistent. If you source directly from a manufacturer then quality greatly improves.  

These are general points that I found as I've jumped into development on products and had a window to do some testing.  I don't actually shoot with wipes much so I'm sure some of you have probably found certain usage conditions that probably don't fit the info I've dropped here, but I hope it helps you all get where you want to go as you experiment.

Todd Magee
Dead Air Engineering

ETA:  I accidentally typed Ghost instead of Wolfman on that opening line.  I apologize!
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:32:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Mageever:

The Ghost wipe is 1" diameter and the wipe retainer has a large clamping surface area so it's not necessary to be exact.  I've cut a ton of wipes out of sheet just using scissors and making them octagonal (-ish).  Just get it to fit in and it'll be fine when you tighten it down.  I designed the wipe cap around a 1" faucet washer that you can pick up at the hardware store.  I don't have the part number in front of me, but I think it's in the user manual.

A word on the central hole in Ghost wipe (or the off-the-shelf faucet washer).  If you have exactly the right diameter of wipe, it will place that center hole exactly on the bore line.  The benefit of this is that it minimizes any point of impact change and also a precision change in your grouping when using the wipe.  A solid piece can cause more accuracy and precision change.

-Silicone is very temperature resistant, BUT it's not a tough material and erodes quickly.
-Urethane is very tough, but not temperature resistant.  Net result is it erodes quickly.
-Neoprene is the best all around material.  I found it to be the best blend for toughness as it gets hot and bullets are trying to tear it apart.  
-EPDM lost out to Neoprene on toughness, but handled heat a bit better.  Same for Buna.  They still worked well for me, though.

On Durometer:
70A is more rigid.  It will give you a better sound result, but will wear a little faster.  
60A is more flexible.  It'll last longer but flexes enough that performance isn't always as good.  Bore opening won't open as quickly as 70A, but because it flexes more, it's usually a little louder because gases can push through it so easily.

Remember that durometer ratings of a material are very much an average.  The 60A stuff we first purchased for Ghost production actually fell in the 70A range.  There can be a 10A-20A range in material you buy from Grainger or McMaster.  70A seems more consistent. If you source directly from a manufacturer then quality greatly improves.  

These are general points that I found as I've jumped into development on products and had a window to do some testing.  I don't actually shoot with wipes much so I'm sure some of you have probably found certain usage conditions that probably don't fit the info I've dropped here, but I hope it helps you all get where you want to go as you experiment.

Todd Magee
Dead Air Engineering

View Quote

I could kiss you.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:51:53 PM EDT
[#31]

The Ghost wipe is 1" diameter and the wipe retainer has a large clamping surface area so it's not necessary to be exact.  I've cut a ton of wipes out of sheet just using scissors and making them octagonal (-ish).  Just get it to fit in and it'll be fine when you tighten it down.  I designed the wipe cap around a 1" faucet washer that you can pick up at the hardware store.  I don't have the part number in front of me, but I think it's in the user manual.

On Durometer:

Todd Magee
Dead Air Engineering

View Quote

Thank you. This is one of the best nuggets of wipe info I've seen.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:35:15 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

On Durometer:

Todd Magee
Dead Air Engineering

Yep I so glad we have a few of the Major Suppressor manufactures on here, to share their knowledge with us.

Also that they are civil to one another.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 1:34:41 AM EDT
[#33]
I still need to order a punch and a sheet....
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 2:03:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Just an update to my earlier Wipe info.  I accidentally wrote the "Ghost" uses the 1" wipe when I meant to write "Wolfman".  I apologize for any confusion!  I've corrected it in the post above.  

Todd Magee
Dead Engineering
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 10:46:41 PM EDT
[#35]
I picked up my Thompson Machine Neptune 9 today. It's essentially a boosted Poseidon 9. Same wipe setup as the Poseidon: 15/16" diameter, 1/4" thick, 50A neoprene. Mcmaster PN# 1290N373 is called out.

@HansohnBrothers I figure you could add this to the first post if that would help.

Long live the wiped cans!
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 1:44:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 8:22:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Cargo:
View Quote

With the red silicone and no center hole on my Ghost my wipes get pretty rough after 100 rounds or so.  After that it doesn’t do much.  A lot of times I’ll shoot 9mm for a mag or two then switch to 45 to make a bigger hole....
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 10:56:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Anyone know the  GSL Pill box specs
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 8:56:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 9:11:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Perfect for the Wolfman.....

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 5:04:45 PM EDT
[#41]
A little off topic but, does anyone have a link or know the size of the piston o-ring for a ghost?  Thanks

@Mageever
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 8:26:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Default-Gateway:
A little off topic but, does anyone have a link or know the size of the piston o-ring for a ghost?  Thanks

@Mageever
View Quote

Viton -018 75A durometer
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 8:47:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Default-Gateway] [#43]

Viton -018 75A durometer
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Default-Gateway:

@Mageever

Viton -018 75A durometer

Thanks Todd.
Found them on Amazon, all reviews are in reference to suppressors.  Must be an industry standard.
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 5:00:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 5:34:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GarrettJ] [#45]
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 12:57:13 PM EDT
[#46]
View Quote

screenshot but no link?
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 8:53:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: masterofpew] [#47]
Originally Posted By recompiler:

screenshot but no link?
View Quote

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GCSQNXB/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_D5W69GEAT2QGEYV690FR?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1" target="_blank">Link

Link Posted: 5/30/2022 11:00:36 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By HansohnBrothers:
Keep that info coming!
View Quote

Rex gives part numbers instead of measurements to make your own wipes for the MG22:

McMaster-Carr item 5787T63 and Punch 3427a17
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 5:20:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Where is a good place to get 70A urethane in 1/8" thickness and preferably amber color? Bonus points if it's available via Amazon Prime. Checked McMaster and they didn't have any 70A when I searched for 1/8" thick urethane.

Looking for a sheet of it to make some replacement wipes for my XM9 can, and also for another XM9 can we have at work.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 6:19:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By bChau:
Where is a good place to get 70A urethane in 1/8" thickness and preferably amber color? Bonus points if it's available via Amazon Prime. Checked McMaster and they didn't have any 70A when I searched for 1/8" thick urethane.

Looking for a sheet of it to make some replacement wipes for my XM9 can, and also for another XM9 can we have at work.
View Quote

I’ve been running neoprene in mine after Mageever recommended the material.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top