Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2017 8:09:27 PM EDT
So i had two stuck baffles in my HTA kestrel. One finally broke loose after days of soaking in hopes9. The last baffle still hasn't budged, if then also tried turns on clp and slip2000 in addition to the hopes9 again. I even bought a ultra sonic cleaner hoping that would break it loose. A few rounda of that hasn't done it either.

Any ideas?

Oh and now theres part of a foam plug in there cause i used a foam plug to hold some hopes9 in it lie a shot glass this afternoon.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 8:12:55 PM EDT
[#1]
PVC with an OD slightly smaller than the ID of the silencer + mallet is what I use.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 8:18:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Gave it some hits to break the seal kinda thing? I was wondering if leaving the other baffles out and taking some shots might cause it to push back and break loose.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 8:49:44 PM EDT
[#3]
The power of posting on arfcom. This last ultrasonic bath i had it in and then me slaming the end down like a shotglass (like ive done all damn week) finally did it! I saw some big carbon flake start to appear, kept pounding and she broke free. I don't think jbweld would have held it that strong!

Well... thanks for those who posted tips
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 8:59:01 PM EDT
[#4]
No problem.

It took me three fucking hours to clean my SD can earlier.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 9:38:38 PM EDT
[#5]
ATF would have been my 1st try.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 10:15:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I've heard that before, really works? Straight or the acetone mix?
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 11:00:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like my Kestrel. Took 4 hours in the ultrasonic before the blast chamber would unscrew. One of the baffles was stuck to it, when it came out.  The others baffles were still stuck in the can. Tried a few squirts of ATF / Acetone on the baffles, let it soak over night.  Still stuck. 

Screw it. As long as the can comes apart, and the thread adapter can be changed out, I'll call it good.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 11:50:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Put it back together.  Get it hot at the range.  Take it apart while hot using silicone or nomex gloves. 

PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench will get your further than any chems mentioned in this thread.  I also recommend buying LPS Anti-sieze spray for when you put it back together.  

I break my baffles loose before I leave the range. 
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 10:11:18 PM EDT
[#9]
This is a timely thread...

my blast baffle in my Optimus is stuck, I've never had problems with the taper lock blast baffle. 
Live had it soaking in seafoam, its spent several hours in the ultrasonic cleaner.. nothing. I've tried the pusher tool and a mallet. 

Have not tried break cleaner.. should that be next?
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 3:04:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is a timely thread...

my blast baffle in my Optimus is stuck, I've never had problems with the taper lock blast baffle. 
Live had it soaking in seafoam, its spent several hours in the ultrasonic cleaner.. nothing. I've tried the pusher tool and a mallet. 

Have not tried break cleaner.. should that be next?
View Quote
Kroil

I've never seen Kano products locally.  If you want something you can find at the hardware store, buy acetone and ATF and mix 50/50, then soak.  

Large glass jars work well for this... salsa, pickles, etc.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 4:33:54 PM EDT
[#11]
I would try liquid wrench penetrating oil and use your blast baffle pusher tool.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 4:48:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 5:01:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I would try liquid wrench penetrating oil and use your blast baffle pusher tool.
View Quote
I got my blast baffle out, now it's the end cap lock ring. But that's always been a pain to get out. 
Really wish it was easier to get that damn ring out or if it was just an endcap. 
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 5:21:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I got my blast baffle out, now it's the end cap lock ring. But that's always been a pain to get out. 
Really wish it was easier to get that damn ring out or if it was just an endcap. 
View Quote
Ya, that's always a tough one on the Optimus. For that one I put the suppressor on a cleaning mat, stick a screwdriver though the piston, hold the can while pressing down on the piston with my hand and turn. If its still stuck I try gripping the end of screw driver and the can.

Are you using the Thread Logic or Lock Cease 20/20? It works very well for preventing this from happening again. I know from experience.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 5:38:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Ya, that's always a tough one on the Optimus. For that one I put the suppressor on a cleaning mat, stick a screwdriver though the piston, hold the can while pressing down on the piston with my hand and turn. If its still stuck I try gripping the end of screw driver and the can.

Are you using the Thread Logic or Lock Cease 20/20? It works very well for preventing this from happening again. I know from experience.
View Quote
I used some kind of high temp anti seize but wasn't either of those brands. 
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 5:56:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Try this stuff. I apply it to all the threads and taper mount surfaces. https://www.mcmaster.com/#9438k1/=18n423c
https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_20/460290_Lock_Cease_20_20___Logix_Thread_Smart_Mcmaster_carr_part_number_.html&page=1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top