Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2017 9:02:06 PM EDT
So, I'm looking at getting my first can; Wife and I just closed on a bit over 10 acres, and want to be able to shoot on it without getting too far on my neighbors bad side.  Likely mostly .22, but I got my first Form 1's back a few weeks ago at the end of the pre-41P rush, so I picked up an 8.5" .300 BO upper last weekend, and what's the point of that caliber if it isn't suppressed?

As I'd prefer not to spend too much (in taxes and cost), I'd like to keep my total expenditure south of a grand, which means keeping it to a single can.  Yes, I know getting a dedicated .22 can is the 'better' choice, and I will likely have dedicated .22, .223, .30, and 9mm cans at some point (post HPA/SHUSH?  wishful thinking), but that isn't in the cards at this point.  This has led me to looking closely at the Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light.  Good price, user-disassembly to clean up after .22, light to aid in training new shooters, and the $200 rebate will go to mounts for my .22 and .223 uppers.  From what I've read (although I think they're from the previous generation?), it can be sensitive to rapid fire, but I'm not firing .300 Win Mag; likely the only rapid fire would be some .22 blasting.  

Any experience with the Ultra Light?  Am I going to be disappointed, or will it serve me well enough until I fill out my collection and then live on my lightweight bedside .300 SBR?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 11:32:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got a griffin sportsman taper mount for my 308 bolt gun. Works awesome, I'd buy it again for the price. It's not Ti durable, but the price reflects that and it's just about as light as the nice Ti cans. Mine is an older one, not user serviceable so can't speak to that feature. On my 308 bolt gun it's definitely hearing safe when shot in the open. As long as you're aware of the rate of fire and temperature limitations you'll be happy with it. I wouldn't worry too much about some rapid fire 22. I did a fairly in depth review of mine over at snipers hide when they were on the scout network, same username as here.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 12:47:09 AM EDT
[#2]
I have an original model Sportsman and it's a pretty decent can for the price.    It heats up fast, but also cools fast too.   Griffin Armament says you can rapid fire 20 rounds and then do sustained fire of 3 rounds per minute after that and not damage the can.   While it may hold together with that amount of heat, I've found the POI begins wandering once the can gets really hot.

Mine lives on a 308 cal Rem 700 with an 18" barrel.    I limit my shot strings to 5 rounds and let things cool before shooting more.    

I wish the old model could be retrofitted into a new model Sportsman, but the design is totally different and they are not compatible.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 3:10:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:19:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Based on everything you said the sportsman will absolutely fit your bill. That being said I would still go for the optimus or paladin.

I know after stamp both might be a little more than your $1000 limit but I think their worth it for being more durable. If you're going to go through the process I would get the best can you can.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:47:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Isn't Griffin still running their $200 willie wonka promotion?
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 12:34:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 8:53:49 PM EDT
[#7]
So, I was still up in the air a bit between the two; actually leaning a bit towards the lower cost of the Ultra Light, but then the price went up (well, the discount went down) by a hundred dollars or so, so I went with the Paladin instead.

Edit: I should clarify...the base price on Silencer Shop didn't go up, just the dealers were charging more, and there was one dealer selling the Paladin for SS's 'list' price.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:59:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I love my Alpha (Paladin). It's the best of both worlds between weight and performance. 

Griffin is about to re-rate them for 300 RUM so that means they should also be 300 norma mag capable. 
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 7:14:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Came to say I've been happy with my sportsmen tapermount. I like the mounts and can use my form 1 cans on them too
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top