Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2017 9:32:07 PM EDT
I am mounting a Dead Air flash hider, and put on a couple of shims to get the mount point indexed at 12 o'clock.

I then go to tighten it, and the shims are a larger diameter than the wrench flats, and can't get the wrench on to tighten it down... 

Any suggestions other than grinding flats into the shims? Anyone know if the AAC  blackout flash hider tool will fit the DA flash hider?
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 9:40:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Can you post a picture please.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 9:41:38 PM EDT
[#2]
What type a wrench are you using? I didn't have issues with the a 3/4 crowsfoot.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 9:43:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Get a thin crows foot  if you're using a torque wrench.

Otherwise just a thin wrench. Some armorer's wrenches are thin enough to work as well.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 10:10:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Tried 2 different armorers wrenches, open ended and a crescent, none fit... guess I will try and find a thin crows foot....

Sorry for the potato pic... 

Link Posted: 4/22/2017 10:18:24 PM EDT
[#5]
What is that black band behind the shims with the writing on it?
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 10:21:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
An overly expensive solution to create a shoulder on a SCAR barrel... no reflection on CA, that's the going rate for it...

http://www.capitolarmory.com/scar-17s-muzzle-shoulder-ring.html

ETA: fantastic avatar pic, great looking dog!
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 10:21:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
KBA Custom shoulder ring
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 11:11:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd reduce the OD of those shims. Stick them on a 1/2 inch bolt and let them spin freely as you apply a grinder. A file to smooth out grinder marks and GTG.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:24:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Struck out finding a crows foot locally that's any thinner than what I already have....

I wish they had made the wrench flats just a little bit wider... 
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:05:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Jam nut wrench or turn down the shims.

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/R1751.html
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:35:21 AM EDT
[#11]
I've had the same issue before, I took a crows foot amd took a grinder to it. Ive used it twice since, once timing a muzzle brake with shims and another that had a large barrel diameter.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 8:21:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've had the same issue before, I took a crows foot amd took a grinder to it. Ive used it twice since, once timing a muzzle brake with shims and another that had a large barrel diameter.
View Quote
Came here to post exactly this! Harbor Frieght sells cheap crows foot sets that you won't feel bad about modifying.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 8:49:38 AM EDT
[#13]
I used a Surefire shim kit. The shims have a smaller OD.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 9:28:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Did exactly the same thing here
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 10:20:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I used a Surefire shim kit. The shims have a smaller OD.
View Quote
I was going to say this as well as Gemtech. The DA shims that are included are not very good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top