Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2017 3:21:02 PM EDT
Does anyone have any first hand experience with the above? I'm thinking about getting one and want to hear how people feel about it having shot a weapon with one attached.

And before this turns into a hating on Surefire thread about muzzle device availability and price point; I'm asking because I have a number of rifles already running their brakes, flashiders or warcomp and don't want to switch out muzzle devices.

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 3:55:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Have one in jail since January. And yes, I already have a muzzle mount for it.

All I know is that it is CERTAINLY more expensive than the competing cans, but since the rep is that it's heavy-duty construction makes it most suitable for the .308 bolt gun I plan to make it's host, I'm hoping it'll be worth it in the end...

i.e. "I don't mind paying for what I get, as long as I get what I pay for."
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 5:46:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Also have one in jail. Curious to see what others think.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:28:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I have two socom mini's and love them. My RC2 should be out of jail literally any day now
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:47:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't own the RC, but I do own the 7.62 Mini and the Socom 300.

The Socom is fantastic.  I've used it on my Remington 700, and it makes it sound and recoil like a .22 LR.  There's almost no kick, and it's very quiet.

The Mini isn't really built for full 7.62x51mm - it does what it can, but at only 6 inche long and 4 useable inches of expansion volume, it's not going to sound like a full size 30 cal can with that's 8 inches long and with 6 inches of useable expansion volume (so 50% more than the mini).

Where it does shine is on my .300 BO.  I've heard others say they're disapointed with the sound - but I find it excellent.  With subs, it's action noise and bullet impact on the backstop only.  Sounds good with supers too.

So, you're probably thinking, OK, he's talked about two cans, neither of which is a RC.  My point is that I don't see much purpose in the RC.  It's as long as the .300 BO, but not nearly as quiet, and from Silerncer Shop's web site, over 400 bucks more expensive.

The RC's are supposed to be mule tough, and built super, super rugged, while the Socom 300 was built more for sound and for a lower cost.  It's not really like you're going to wear the thing out or damage it short of full auto blasts from a SBR, and if it does, just sent it back and they'll repair it.

At 1400 bucks, for a 8 inch can that's not particulary quiet from the reviews, I'd look at something else from SF.  

What are you planning on using this on?  If it's a .308, I'd go with a Socom 300.  If it's a .300 BO with the optionality of a 6.8 or 5.56mm, I'd go with the 7.62 mini, to keep your AR package at a decent length, compared to one that's 24 inches long (16 inch barrel plus an 8 inch can).
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 1:49:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I've had one for a couple years pulling triple duty on a 20" .308 bolt gun, 14.5" 5.56, and a 9" 300 blk.
I think it does best on the .308. It's not the quietest with the blackout, and sounds good to me on the 5.56, but it's kinda long for a 5.56 carbine. Blowback is noticeably less on semi autos than my friends aem5 and my other friends m4-2000.
If you want a quieter can I would say get the sps300. If it's gonna see more rounds through it on a semi auto, I think the RC is a good choice.
I've never had the problem a lot of people seem to bring up about them getting stuck on the mounts either fwiw. Just clean the mounting surfaces when you're done shooting and it's not an issue.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 2:37:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the feedback all. It'll primarily be used on a 20" .308 Remington 700 (wearing a warcomp currently) and on a .308 AR (muzzle brake) that serves as a semi-auto precision rifle.  May see occasional use on 5.56.

I'll have to consider the 300 SPS as well. I'm not doing mag dumps with a bolt gun or a 308 AR.

I've never gotten into 300 Blackout but have been considering it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 9:55:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Just a spectator observation... watching YouTube comparison videos it seems the RC is the loudest compared to competitor 30 cal cans.. but I know for a fact that they are built like tanks.  Longevity over noise with this can it seems
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:04:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the feedback all. It'll primarily be used on a 20" .308 Remington 700 (wearing a warcomp currently) and on a .308 AR (muzzle brake) that serves as a semi-auto precision rifle.  May see occasional use on 5.56.

I'll have to consider the 300 SPS as well. I'm not doing mag dumps with a bolt gun or a 308 AR.

I've never gotten into 300 Blackout but have been considering it.
View Quote
For your needs I recommend the 300SPS. I have the 556RC, 762RC, and the 300SPS.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 9:20:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks again all, I think I'm going to have to take a hard look at the 300 SPS. It does sound good and it would be nice to save like $500.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 9:56:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks again all, I think I'm going to have to take a hard look at the 300 SPS. It does sound good and it would be nice to save like $500.
View Quote
arocho,

I have the 300sps and 7.62RC in jail, but here is a size reference with my 5.56RC on top.

Link Posted: 4/24/2017 7:28:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

arocho,

I have the 300sps and 7.62RC in jail, but here is a size reference with my 5.56RC on top.

http://i.imgur.com/bqqlMTa.jpg
View Quote
Thanks for the comparison shot.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 2:48:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I've got a 300 SPS and 7.62 Mini. I honestly see no reason to get the full size RC over the SPS.

Really wish SF would make a 300 SPS Mini, it would be about perfect IMO.

My 7.62 mini is OK, and is mainly dedicated on a 5.56 SBR(Does really well on my sbr with a non-adjustable gas block since it's not suppressing as much the blowback is almost non existent). The 300 SPS is quieter and similar in noise to my Specwar K on 5.56 SBR.

I have a omega that I need to go pickup, that will fill the role for mostly my precision bolt guns/some AR use. Honestly not sure what I'm going to do with the SF stuff, wish I could trade my 7.62 mini and 300 SPS for a couple Omegas but that can't happen
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 6:21:11 PM EDT
[#13]
SF cans are quality, but Surge or Sandman would be my pick.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 7:13:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
SF cans are quality, but Surge or Sandman would be my pick.
View Quote
I would go with one of those as will if I didn't already have all the SF muzzle devices.

Rugged Obsidians in NFA jail right now
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 7:27:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I would go with one of those as will if I didn't already have all the SF muzzle devices.

Rugged Obsidians in NFA jail right now
View Quote
SF muzzle devices command a premium. Sell them and you may even profit.

I wouldn't buy that as a legit excuse
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 11:14:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Just a spectator observation... watching YouTube comparison videos it seems the RC is the loudest compared to competitor 30 cal cans.. but I know for a fact that they are built like tanks.  Longevity over noise with this can it seems
View Quote
Like all of the SOCOM RC series, it is designed more toward professional than hobby use in that it is optimized for repeatability, flash and first round pop, lower blowback/cyclic rate, weight, and durability over how it sounds at, or near, the firer.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 11:40:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Have 3 that are pinned/welded so those are kind of "non-removable".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top