Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2017 12:59:32 PM EDT
So, I could use some feedback on something that is bothering me about mounting systems for suppressors.

For some reason, I'm really having an issue with the idea of having a system that requires the use of threads on the muzzle device for screwing the can on.  The reason is I worry about damage to the threads, since they are exposed on the end of the barrel.

I know I can put a thread protector on, but that seems really annoying to have to worry about.

My question to all of you is:
- Am I right to be worried about this?  Or, is it a non issue?

Thank you!
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 1:09:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Why are you shooting unsuppressed?

Link Posted: 4/15/2017 1:10:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't worry about it unless you going to drop your gun in a mud puddle and then throw it at steel targets
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 1:10:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
So, I could use some feedback on something that is bothering me about mounting systems for suppressors.

For some reason, I'm really having an issue with the idea of having a system that requires the use of threads on the muzzle device for screwing the can on.  The reason is I worry about damage to the threads, since they are exposed on the end of the barrel.

I know I can put a thread protector on, but that seems really annoying to have to worry about.

My question to all of you is:
- Am I right to be worried about this?  Or, is it a non issue?

Thank you!
View Quote

I only own direct thread suppressor as they are lighter, shorter and cheaper than QD options. I tend not to move suppressors to different firearms much but when I do it's not that difficult and I have not had issues with damaged threads. Thread protectors at cheap and flash hiders can used to protect threads as well.

However if you are on a budget and don't want to buy multiple suppressors and are the kind of person who brings a dozen rifles with you when you go to the range than a QD mount suppressor might make sense.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 1:11:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Depends on your use case. If you're gonna go all 'lone-survivor' and chuck your rifle down a cliff, then yes, definitely go with the more durable designs.

Some muzzle brakes, like Rugged and YHM, have ridiculously coarse threads that are really difficult to damage.

Dead Air Brakes don't have any exposed threads at all. Their keymo system is pretty incredible.

You'd be fine going with any of those 3 companies IMO. It's definitely worth it getting QD cans, that is my one regret when I bought my first batch of suppressors.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 1:17:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 1:37:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Such is life with suppressors. If the threads get screwed up, they can be fixed or the barrel replaced.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 3:18:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I wouldn't sweat it, but then again I got a Dead Air can that doesn't use threads to mount the suppressor.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:11:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You're going to have to do some serious work to mess up a rugged or asr muzzle device thread.

If you were in THAT hostile of an environment, damage to the threads would be the least of your concerns.  
View Quote
And YHM's Acme threads are even more robust.

If it worries you that much just get a thread protector, which YHM offers.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:24:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 11:40:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the feedback so far!  I know it's probably just me being a little OCD about it.

Looks like I need to look in to the Dead Air suppressors!  Here's the list I'm trying to decide between right now:

- Rugged Razor
- M4SD II
- M4SD-K
- Specwar 556K
- Recce 5

I would love a KAC NT4, I just don't want to spend $1400 plus stamp on it...and I think my wife would kill me if I decided to.

I like the Surefire mounting system, but don't like the dB reduction for something with that high a price tag and expensive mounts.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 11:41:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Why are you shooting unsuppressed?

View Quote
/thread
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 11:52:04 PM EDT
[#12]
The Rugged mounts are rock solid, never had an issue with multiple hosts regardless if mount or can was hit or cold. I have a Surge now and waiting on a Razor, I'll end up getting another of one of them if not both.

Dead Air is a solid option as well, I picked Rugged Surge based on being modular and stupid quiet.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:04:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The Rugged mounts are rock solid, never had an issue with multiple hosts regardless if mount or can was hit or cold. I have a Surge now and waiting on a Razor, I'll end up getting another of one of them if not both.

Dead Air is a solid option as well, I picked Rugged Surge based on being modular and stupid quiet.
View Quote
The Razor has taken over my top spot...I forgot to include the Recce 5 on my list, as well.

Anyone know how the dB reduction compares between the Dead Air Sandman-S and Rugged Razor?

Anyone shoot the Rugged Razor on 5.56 with the 5.56 end cap?  Looking for average dB levels on a 10.3/10.5 inch SBR.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:37:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Consider going with Dead Air, no threads to mess up!  
View Quote
Chris, you spelled Gemtech wrong.

Look ma, no threads.

Link Posted: 4/16/2017 2:26:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The Razor has taken over my top spot...I forgot to include the Recce 5 on my list, as well.

Anyone know how the dB reduction compares between the Dead Air Sandman-S and Rugged Razor?

Anyone shoot the Rugged Razor on 5.56 with the 5.56 end cap?  Looking for average dB levels on a 10.3/10.5 inch SBR.
View Quote
The 5.56 end cap on my Surge didn't make much difference, maybe a decibal or two but you won't know the difference without a meter. I would buy an extra mount for another host instead of the end cap personally.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 3:47:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The 5.56 end cap on my Surge didn't make much difference, maybe a decibal or two but you won't know the difference without a meter. I would buy an extra mount for another host instead of the end cap personally.
View Quote
Good to know, thanks!
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 8:46:23 AM EDT
[#17]
deleted -duplicate information
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 11:01:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:10:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Consumer - "YHM has the ugliest suppressor mounts"

Gemtech - "Hold my beer"

Link Posted: 4/16/2017 3:26:17 PM EDT
[#20]
You're not damaging YHM threads. It's just not happening.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 4:08:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Anyone happen to know which 6.5" or smaller QD can has the best dB reduction on 5.56?
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 4:32:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Anyone happen to know which 6.5" or smaller QD can has the best dB reduction on 5.56?
View Quote
SpecWar K does very well.

If you can find one.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 5:17:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
Recce 5. Silencer shop has it at 129 db.  And MAC metered the YHM Turbo at around 130 db
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 1:30:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
Is this gonna be your first can?

If yes, then go for a 7.62 can, and don't worry about chasing decibels. Versatility... being able to use it on numerous guns is more important.

If you already own a few suppressors, then I'd say get the YHM turbo. Mac tested it, metered at 130db, which is crazy quiet for 556. Also ridiculously lightweight for its pricepoint.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 3:29:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Is this gonna be your first can?

If yes, then go for a 7.62 can, and don't worry about chasing decibels. Versatility... being able to use it on numerous guns is more important.

If you already own a few suppressors, then I'd say get the YHM turbo. Mac tested it, metered at 130db, which is crazy quiet for 556. Also ridiculously lightweight for its pricepoint.
View Quote
Thanks for the input!  This will be my first can, and I'm leaning toward:

- Rugged Razor
- Sico Omega with flat end cap
- Dead Air Sandman S

Would really love to stay below 17" OAL of barrel and can.  If I could get that in a .30 Mag rated can at 134-137db then I'd be set!

Anyone own any of the three above that can confirm the sound suppression and overall sound on 5.56?
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 8:13:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Get a SiCo Omega or Hybrid. Sell the $200 store credit for $140-150. Buy the Dead Air key mo adapter. Problem solved, and cheaper too.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 8:36:12 AM EDT
[#27]
If you are using a 10.5 or 11.5 barrel on a 5.56 your not going to get 130 db and lucky to be in the 130's at all with a short suppressor based on various metering videos.  The omega in that last list will be the quietest one. This is what I have on my sbr.

To be honest, your not going to be shooting without hearing protection on with any of those suppressors with a sbr.  To me, weight is more important on a sbr than db because they are all loud.

Omega is the lightest and lowest db on that list.  (especially if you use after market TI end caps and direct thread) Razor is the second.  The razor mounting system is very nice with very course threading and a quarter to half turn on the lock which better than the omega's tooth locking asr mount. Maybe second to the dead air depending on your needs.  The Sandman is heavier and the longest of the three (omega can be longer).  The razor is smaller in diameter than both the Sandman and the omega.

Omega has barrel restrictions that the Razor and sandman does not. The omega has more mounting options than the other two: direct thread, asr, keymount, and SiCo legency mounts.

I own all three in the list and waiting for my Sandman L to get out of jail any time now.

Eta: just looking at my Razor it only has 4 baffles inside the tube.  This includes the blast baffle which appears to the same as the rest.
This surprised me and in case anyone wanted to know.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 10:57:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If you are using a 10.5 or 11.5 barrel on a 5.56 your not going to get 130 db and lucky to be in the 130's at all with a short suppressor based on various metering videos.  The omega in that last list will be the quietest one. This is what I have on my sbr.

To be honest, your not going to be shooting without hearing protection on with any of those suppressors with a sbr.  To me, weight is more important on a sbr than db because they are all loud.

Omega is the lightest and lowest db on that list.  (especially if you use after market TI end caps and direct thread) Razor is the second.  The razor mounting system is very nice with very course threading and a quarter to half turn on the lock which better than the omega's tooth locking asr mount. Maybe second to the dead air depending on your needs.  The Sandman is heavier and the longest of the three (omega can be longer).  The razor is smaller in diameter than both the Sandman and the omega.

Omega has barrel restrictions that the Razor and sandman does not. The omega has more mounting options than the other two: direct thread, asr, keymount, and SiCo legency mounts.

I own all three in the list and waiting for my Sandman L to get out of jail any time now.

Eta: just looking at my Razor it only has 4 baffles inside the tube.  This includes the blast baffle which appears to the same as the rest.
This surprised me and in case anyone wanted to know.
View Quote
Great info!  One hung I have read is the questions around the durability of the Omega due to its construction which allowed it to be lighter.

Any thoughts on this???  Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 11:17:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Get a SiCo Omega or Hybrid. Sell the $200 store credit for $140-150. Buy the Dead Air key mo adapter. Problem solved, and cheaper too.
View Quote
As a sandman owner, this is solid advice right now
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 12:00:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Reconsider and get the YHM ULT.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 2:35:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Great info!  One hung I have read is the questions around the durability of the Omega due to its construction which allowed it to be lighter.

Any thoughts on this???  Thanks!
View Quote
The omega is a tough can and I have no problems running the hell out it on my sbr.  I had two people next to me running them in defensive carbine classes and the instructor was lighting his cigar of them.  Joshua from capitol armory ran his machine gun with one and I'm doubt you are going to shoot through the magazines he did in that short of time.  Check youtube for the video.

So no the durability is not an issue with them.  I shot through a sure 60 without stopping just to check reliability on the mag and new gas block and and 2 more mags at a slower pace.

The outer TI sleeve is just a cover on the omega. Just screw back down if it comes off and rocksett it.

Plus silencerco has an awesome cs so they will fix it if something is wrong with it.

The Sandman S is noticeably heavier than the omega and the razor.  22.3 oz with the flash 5.56 hider mount.

As everyone stated you cannot go wrong with any one of them and all have great cs.  Just pick one that it's strengths match your needs and go buy it
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top