Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2017 3:54:58 PM EDT
I'm new to the suppressor game, but have gone full bore since ordering my first last July.  All of "my" can are actually in jail or on order.

What I have ordered:

Gemtech GM-22 (the first one, due some day soon...in the next 3 months anyway)
SiCo Hybrid
Rebel .22 SS (was "free" with the Hybrid)
SiCo Specwar 762
<insert 9mm can here>

What I would like to shoot suppressed (potentially):
.22s of course (covered)
.458 SOCOM AR
.300 BO Ruger bolt
.300 BO AR SBR
5.56 ARs
7.62 AR
Glock 17 (and other Gs)
Shield 9mm (found a threaded barrel for cheap)
Beretta/Taurus 92
ASR 9mm carbine

Talking about the centerfires...

So the Hybrid will cover the .458 and the other rifle calibers and a .45 pistol if I ever decide to go there

The Specwar 762 will cover all of the other caliber ARs (5.56, 7.62N, .300 BO) with good sound suppression, but heavy-ish

For a 9mm pistol/carbine can, I thought I wanted an AAC Ti-Rant 9M (was ready to order today).  I like the modularity, size, price and .300 BO subsonic capability.  I also considered an Osprey 9mm and the Gemtech 9M.  Downside is a whole different family of mounts and adapters.

Then I noticed the SiCo Omega 9K.  I like that it is short (for handiness on my home 9mm pistol).  I like that it is rated for .300 BO Subs and Supers.  Price is acceptable and has the $200 "rebate."  Yes, it is not the quietest.  BIG FACTOR is that is uses the same mounts as the Hybrid, for which I have already ordered the ASR adapter and a couple of ASR mounts for various things (the .458 and .300 BO AR).

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of the 9K.  Short for when that counts.  Versatile so it can be used on all of the 9mm guns AND the .300 BOs.  When I want quieter than the Omega, I can use the Hybrid for "stuff".  

Note that other than self defense, my guns are used for fun and recreation.  I am buying suppressors because I can and I will enjoy shooting them.  Will also help with noise and blast when I get my girls (wife, daughter and adopted niece) shooting.

Any other thoughts are welcome.

Rob
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 4:46:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like pretty rock solid reasoning to me. You need to decide which is more important to you: convenience, or being able to see your sights.  The 9K is an awesome can, but it is PHAT. Even most suppressor sights wont be tall enough.

Also, having a suppressor that comes apart is nice for cleaning. 9mm runs dirty. After a few range sessions, having all the crap rattling around in there gets annoying, its great to take it down and shake it out.

After getting all my cans out of jail, I almost never use my pistol can on anything other than pistols. The Tirant 9M seems stupid-awesome for that role. Just my opinion
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 4:48:21 PM EDT
[#2]
If remember correctly, the barrel on the Ruger bolt action needs to be threaded a certain way so that a muzzle device can be screwed on all the way down.  There is a thread in this forum section on it. I believe it has something to do with the sigsauer can.

Other than that, I think you are good to go. Way to go on your purchases...you went head first in the NFA game.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 5:02:00 PM EDT
[#3]
The barrel on the Ruger is already threaded.  I don't know the thread pitch or length off the top of my head, though.

The Glock 17 is an MOS and will wear a FFIII optic, so I think it should clear.  That will be the primary 9mm pistol host for shooting.

Rob
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 5:19:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like solid reasoning, I did much the same exercise recently and ordered my first rifle and pistol/carbine cans. I did end up going with the TiRant 9M because it was in stock where I bought and SiCo was not. Hopefully it was a six of one/half dozen of the other decision....... and waiting sucks
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 6:51:51 PM EDT
[#5]
where did you find a threaded shield barrel for cheap? inquiring minds would like to know
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 7:00:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
where did you find a threaded shield barrel for cheap? inquiring minds would like to know
View Quote
SiCo has a 1 day 30% off pistons, threaded barrels, and radius sale...
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 7:01:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The barrel on the Ruger is already threaded.  I don't know the thread pitch or length off the top of my head, though.

The Glock 17 is an MOS and will wear a FFIII optic, so I think it should clear.  That will be the primary 9mm pistol host for shooting.

Rob
View Quote
I think it has something to do with shoulder and the length of it to properly seat the muzzle device.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 7:01:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I jave the same reasoning for the omega 9k, shared mounts and 300 blackout.   I have one on order.   i like that its short.  Nice bedside suppressor and something I can screw onto my P226 for night hunting with an IR laser and night vision.   If you want, you can also get a rugged obsidian which has 45 coverage and a K configuration that will do nice with a 9mm.   Omega 9k will be my only 9mm suppressor since I think 45 suppressors handle 9mm just fine.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 7:03:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

SiCo has a 1 day 30% off pistons, threaded barrels, and radius sale...
View Quote
Not where I found mine, but that would be OK.  I don't yet have my "rebate" code so I could not take advantage of this sale with it.  Maybe next time they have a surprise sale.

Rob
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 7:49:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I think it has something to do with shoulder and the length of it to properly seat the muzzle device.
View Quote
The Ruger Ranch 300 BLK is threaded properly (5/8x24) with a square shoulder. The Sig mount was found to be defective or out of spec in that thread. I've had 4 different cans on my RARanch 300 BLK and 5.56 rifles and all have been true to the bore.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top