Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/20/2017 5:58:25 PM EDT
Just saw a post on TFB that the ATF has declared wipes to be considered silencer parts. Pretty interesting if you ask me.

Link
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 6:10:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 6:11:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Just saw a post on TFB that the ATF has declared wipes to be considered silencer parts. Pretty interesting if you ask me.

Link
View Quote

It feels like we are going backwards
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 6:13:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Screw them. This is BS.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 6:28:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Didn't read
Calling BS
Don't give a shit though, I'll buy more and use pikes as I see fit
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 6:32:50 PM EDT
[#5]
So, who wrote the letter? Fess Up.

In seriousness, this only applies to the Ghost M.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 6:33:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Such bullshit.  This will not help with sales for the Dead Air Ghost.  Also, many people probably purchased that product at least partly because of this feature that has now been arbitrarily nullified by the powers that be.  I don't even own anything w/ wipes and this seriously chaps my ass.  Fuck that alphabet agency.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 6:34:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
My thoughts exactly
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 6:36:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

In seriousness, this only applies to the Ghost M.
View Quote

SiCO?
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 6:37:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

SiCO?
View Quote
ROFL!!
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 6:40:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Seriously though, how does the dead air design differ from something like my Thompson machine wiped can?
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 6:40:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Wipes have always been parts IIRC.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 6:51:21 PM EDT
[#12]
If shouldering a stabilizing brace turns a pistol into a SBR, does that also mean that water will also soon be a silencer part if we decide to run wet?
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 6:54:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
does that also mean that water will also soon be a silencer part if we decide to run wet?
View Quote
This, I wonder if wire-pulling gel is only replaceable by SOT's now? Ridiculous. This pisses me off.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 6:56:09 PM EDT
[#14]
They took the wipes off of their website.  I have a Ghost in jail right now, I was on the website earlier this week ant they had the wipes for sale.  Not sure if I would have bought the wipes or not, but this is some BS.

This is what happens when some pencil pusher bureaucrat can regulate from his desk.  No law, no ruling, no vote, just some jackass in an office in DC.  WTF.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 6:57:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Umm, what is a wipe?  
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 7:08:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Umm, what is a wipe?  
View Quote
The specific ones we are talking about look like this:

But in short wipes are generally made of a rubber or some other poly compound and put into a silencer tube. They are "disposable" and only last 10-20 rounds. They need to be replaced after that.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 7:08:47 PM EDT
[#17]
I was pretty sure wipes have always been a part.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 7:12:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 7:16:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
That's what I thought too, but I'm guessing there's more to the story.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 7:20:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Such garbage. I've had my eye on a Gemtech Aurora when they were available again. Wiped cans always interested me especially from a historical context.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 7:27:36 PM EDT
[#21]
So hardware stores that sell rubber washers are now illegally selling suppressor parts?

What do they think they're accomplishing with this?
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 7:27:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Screw them. This is BS.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 7:33:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 7:52:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Curious so I looked on a few sites that had the Dead Air Ghost wipes for sale and sure enough the pics are there but when you click on it them it say product not available.

Maybe Dead Air will make a 9mm end cap now because it would suck to be stuck with 45 "wiped end cap" that sticks out 1/2" longer than it should with wipes no longer available
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 7:58:53 PM EDT
[#25]
This type of shit is what will help HPA pass. Copy and paste to you Congressman and Senator!

JPK.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 8:10:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Here I am, hoping that I can get DM to make me a wipe endcap for my Resistance 9...
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 8:23:46 PM EDT
[#27]
You've got to be kidding me! I just picked up my Ghost last week!
 The wipes were the main reason I bought the Ghost over the Obsidian. Well fuck me..........
   And waited an extra couple months because they were'nt in stock.....this is bullshit!
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 8:34:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Such garbage. I've had my eye on a Gemtech Aurora when they were available again. Wiped cans always interested me especially from a historical context.
View Quote
Factory rebuilds are available.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 9:16:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Here you go straight from Dead Airs website:

deadairsilencers

Valued Dead Air customers, dealers and wholesalers,

Last week, we were notified by the BATFE that they consider the accessory aperture wipe on our Ghost 45M suppressor to be a “silencer” part. We presented them with the Bardwell ATF opinion letter (http://www.titleii.com/bardwell/atf_letter66.txt)* that is commonly used as justification for the use of wipes and replacement of wipes in silencers by their owners. This morning, we were informally notified that the BATFE FTB does not share the opinion of the Bardwell letter regarding wipes not being silencer parts, and asked that we take immediate corrective action. As such we are immediately discontinuing the sale of accessory wipes for that product. The aperture wipe for the Ghost has always been an optional use item. We have consciously decided NOT to pursue the issue with FTB, as the resulting opinion letter, based on the informal notification to us, may have a potential negative impact on ALL owners of suppressors that utilize wipes in the design.

Moving forward we are conducting research on a wipe constructed of a more durable material, that will be included with the Ghost 45M. Extra or additional wipes will not be available for sale. Other options and clarifications are being sought as well.
Dead Air has developed and will release a new linear compensator product for handguns and submachineguns that will lead to cross compatibility with some Ghost accessories, including pistons, fixed mounts and caliber specific caps.

We appreciate the support of our customer, dealers and wholesalers, and will continue to bring innovative, quality products to the market. If there are any questions regarding this issue or any questions about our products, please contact us at [email protected]

Thank You,
Gary Hughes
Director of Sales

Dead Air Silencers *Bardwell letter
“In regard to the two parts in your cited example, we consider a baffle to be a silencer, but a wipe, which is usually nothing more than a rubber or plastic disc with a hole in it, is generally not considered to be a silencer. Thus an individual owner could replace a wipe.”
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 12:14:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 6:45:06 AM EDT
[#31]
View Quote
1-1/4" OD X 1/4" ID X 1/8".
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 8:01:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 8:03:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
That's what I thought too
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 8:18:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 8:33:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 8:53:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
"The term Firearm Silencer or Firearm Muffler means any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for the use in assembling or fabricating a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, any part intended only for use in such assembly or fabrication."
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
"The term Firearm Silencer or Firearm Muffler means any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for the use in assembling or fabricating a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, any part intended only for use in such assembly or fabrication."
Quoted:
I kind of thought they always did consider them to be parts.  
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This
Quoted:
That's what I thought too
I hate to be the stormy little raincloud but everyone above is correct. It's well known that ATF/FTB has considered  wipes are parts for some time. This is not new. The unofficial notifaction to DA that their wipes are parts is new.God bless the guys at DA for trying to normalize them. But everyone getting all pissed off for something we all knew years ago is ludicrous.

And my understanding of opinion letters are that they only apply to the individual listed on the letter. So unless anyone's name is Bardwell you're probably SOL.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 9:09:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:01:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
This is true.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
This is true.
What kills me is that the ATF issues a letter to an individual, however they state:

In regard to the two parts in your cited example, we consider a
baffle to be a silencer, but a wipe, which is usually nothing more
than a rubber or plastic disc with a hole in it, is generally not
considered to be a silencer
. Thus an individual owner could
replace a wipe.
Although the letter is addressed to one person, the language used makes it seem like it's a global belief.

A baffle. A wipe. Not 'your baffles'. 'Your wipes'. 'An individual owner' not 'You the owner of this specific silencer'.

Maddening.

So a letter sent today asking clarification on wipes would get a different response? WTF?

(Please don't write).

/rant off
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:52:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

And my understanding of opinion letters are that they only apply to the individual listed on the letter.
View Quote
This is an internet myth. The letters are legally meaningless. They merely give guidance as to how ATF would enforce the law. ATF cannot write a letter allowing you to break the law. We have seen what happens when they give you an approved, tax-stamped Form 1 to make a machine gun. It does not work out the way the named recipient thinks it will.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 11:21:27 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I measured at 1-3/16" OD x 1/4" ID x 1/8", or 30mm OD x 6mm ID x 3mm. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I measured at 1-3/16" OD x 1/4" ID x 1/8", or 30mm OD x 6mm ID x 3mm. 
1 3/16 seems to be a bit of a unicorn. I found some 1 1/4 ones in small quantity.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011J896D8?tag=vglnk-c102-20
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 11:21:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

This is an internet myth. The letters are legally meaningless. They merely give guidance as to how ATF would enforce the law. ATF cannot write a letter allowing you to break the law. We have seen what happens when they give you an approved, tax-stamped Form 1 to make a machine gun. It does not work out the way the named recipient thinks it will.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

So what you're saying is that the truth is literally WORSE than my understanding.

Good times......

Quoted:

So a letter sent today asking clarification on wipes would get a different response? WTF?

(Please don't write).
-1 billion internet points for the mere suggestion, Sir.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 11:27:07 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

What kills me is that the ATF issues a letter to an individual, however they state:

Although the letter is addressed to one person, the language used makes it seem like it's a global belief.

A baffle. A wipe. Not 'your baffles'. 'Your wipes'. 'An individual owner' not 'You the owner of this specific silencer'.

Maddening.

(Please don't write).

/rant off
View Quote
This is the crux of the problem as I see it. Rightly or wrongly, people use these letters/opinions to make decisions that could have legal ramifications, yet the ATF treats them so casually that they're effectively (and perhaps truly) meaningless. It's a waste of time to ask the ATF for their opinion either way.

Further, while it is true that this applies specifically to DA's wipes, no one can realistically think that it wouldn't cover others who might have aspirations to offer the accessories.

ETA: There's enough ambiguity in our firearms laws (and all laws really) that people should be able to write the ATF and get consistent answers that have at least some legal significance. The current system of maybe break the law and then beg/hope for forgiveness after the fact just doesn't work.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 11:29:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

So what you're saying is that the truth is literally WORSE than my understanding.

Good times......
View Quote
The letter says the GhostM wipe is a silencer part. So it applies to anyone in posssession of a GhostM wipe. But the letter does not apply to all wipes for all silencers.

We will have to see if this is the opening round of a new ruling on wipes.

Wipes, swappable endcaps,  modular silencers, it is only a matter of time before ATF reacts.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 11:43:18 AM EDT
[#44]
I emailed Dead Air this morning and asked what the plans are to remedy this BS. Less than 2 hours later Rob called me with an answer.
1. They are furiously working on a solution that will be provided free of charge to current owners.
2.  Two options he mentioned were 9mm endcaps, and much more durable long term wipes.
3. They would let everybody know in a week or two.

I'm happy with their quick personal response, and the answer. I don't know what else they can do.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 11:54:09 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

The letter says the GhostM wipe is a silencer part. So it applies to anyone in posssession of a GhostM wipe. But the letter does not apply to all wipes for all silencers.

Wipes, swappable endcaps,  modular silencers, it is only a matter of time before ATF reacts.
View Quote
Well to be fair DA never got a letter. No paper was exchanged. Notice the release. It calls out they were informally notified. Which typically means a phone call.

I think that we have all been waiting for this other shoe to drop since the original Saker and the Salvo hit.

Momma says: "The chickens are coming home to roost, Bobby Boucher."
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 12:15:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Well to be fair DA never got a letter. No paper was exchanged. Notice the release. It calls out they were informally notified. Which typically means a phone call.

I think that we have all been waiting for this other shoe to drop since the original Saker and the Salvo hit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

With an Oculus and obsidian pending this concerns me.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 12:19:33 PM EDT
[#47]
I was under the impression you could not buy a wipe, just as you cannot not buy extra baffles.

BUT you could make your own replacement wipes.
However, you cannot not make your own extra baffles after the suppressor had been manufactured.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 12:29:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
With an Oculus and obsidian pending this concerns me.
View Quote
I honestly wouldn't worry about it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 12:43:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 1:53:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
Oh no, what ever shall we do?????

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L1IUICA?tag=vglnk-c102-20
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top