Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/19/2017 8:37:39 PM EDT
At the range yesterday I had several pieces of copper jacket in my Optimus so today I decided to take it apart and clean/inspect and reconfigure for using it on one of my rifles. 

However I am unable to get the endcap off. This happened once before and I ended up soaking it in slip 2000 carbon killer for 30 minutes and it came off. It did not this time, even after soaking it for an hour. 

I have also tried:

wd40 and liquid wrench 
ultra sonic cleaner W/ Hornady gun cleaning solution @140 degrees for 15 minutes
heating it in the oven @ 400 degrees 

i do not have a vice to put it in and would be hesitant to do so. Ive emailed Griffin but haven't heard back yet. 
Im impatient to get it cleaned and back together by tomorrow due to work. 

Anybody have suggestions? 

Also, I see no indication of a baffle strike from what I can see so I don't think the bits of jacket is related. 
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 9:39:26 PM EDT
[#1]
What were you shooting that left pieces of copper jacket inside?
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 10:03:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What were you shooting that left pieces of copper jacket inside?
View Quote
I'm not really sure since I run everything from m193 to 9mm to 6.5 creedmoor through that can. 
Im thinking it's from a Nosler jhp 9mm round. 
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 10:07:25 PM EDT
[#3]
throw it in the freezer overnight
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 10:10:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
throw it in the freezer overnight
View Quote
I had heard something similar in the past, what exactly does freezing it do?
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 10:44:20 PM EDT
[#5]
contraction makes it shrink
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 10:53:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Gotcha, that's what I thought. 

Im gonna try it
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 9:12:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 1:46:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you are describing a condition where the front cap won't un-screw, that would seem to imply you may not be able to get adequate torque on it to get it to turn.   Holding round tubes is sometimes difficult.  We use Rigid strap wrenches a decent amount here.  It may become at that point a two person job, with one person holding the wrench, and another pressing down onto the front cap and into the workbench with the piston used as the tool.

https://www.zoro.com/ridgid-strap-wrench-3-12-in-dia-cap-31340/i/G2678453/

We also use lock cease 20/20 whenever there is a perceived risk of a component binding.  That is sold on the market under 2 names Lock Cease 20/20 and Logix Threadsmart  Mcmaster Carr sells one of the two under part number: 9438K1

In the event thread fouling has anything to do with the binding issue, we sell an oateys 1.25" wire brush that cleans the tube and threads of the silencer. Suppressor cleaning brushes
View Quote
The end cap and the baffle lock ring seem to be bonded together and no matter how much we hold it or press down on the end cap it's not breaking free. 

We're continuing to try 
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 2:43:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 2:53:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You could also e-mail tech and return it for service.   The parts are a decent application for lock cease.  Sometimes copper deposited by firing can braze silencer parts together.
View Quote
I've emailed support and awaiting a response. 
How much down force is required?
last time I had it apart it didn't require that much downward pressure. 

I have high temp anti seize to put on it once apart
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 4:49:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Got it.

Soaked it in seafoam and was able to break it free
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 6:06:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 11:50:47 PM EDT
[#13]
HERE is what I did.  I went to clean my rugged suppressor tonight. I couldn't get the end 9mm cap off. I used the normal pressure. I used WD-40. And still couldn't get it off. I use my heat gun that I have used before, and that didn't help. What I ended up doing is getting my small propane torch and a heating up the ENDCAP just for a few seconds. Not long. That did the trick. I was able to use the piston with a screwdriver through it and hardly use any pressure and it broke free. Before I couldn't get that thing off at all. I wish they made it tool specifically for taking this thing apart. I would buy it in a second.  With the end cap, I now put high temperature grease on the threads. Just a small amount.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 1:26:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
HERE is what I did.  I went to clean my rugged suppressor tonight. I couldn't get the end 9mm cap off. I used the normal pressure. I used WD-40. And still couldn't get it off. I use my heat gun that I have used before, and that didn't help. What I ended up doing is getting my small propane torch and a heating up the ENDCAP just for a few seconds. Not long. That did the trick. I was able to use the piston with a screwdriver through it and hardly use any pressure and it broke free. Before I couldn't get that thing off at all. I wish they made it tool specifically for taking this thing apart. I would buy it in a second.  With the end cap, I now put high temperature grease on the threads. Just a small amount.
View Quote
Good info. Thanks. 

I wish the optimus has a baffle pusher tool like the Alpha. 
Hopefully the one that comes with my Alpha will work with my Optimus 
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 11:45:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Good info. Thanks. 

I wish the optimus has a baffle pusher tool like the Alpha. 
Hopefully the one that comes with my Alpha will work with my Optimus 
View Quote
I made one with a wooden dowel with an end I dremeled out to match the baffle face. I use a rubber mallet and place the end on a cleaning mat. They come right out even caked in carbon.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 11:51:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Got it.

Soaked it in seafoam and was able to break it free
View Quote
I need to try that stuff. I've seen it mentioned around here a few times with success.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 4:05:17 AM EDT
[#17]
I've been using the antiseize sticks from picture. They have a copper one that isn't so messy

I also get little bits of jacket from one type of bullet I've been playing around with

I put a thin film between the end cap and baffle lock and haven't had any issues. I've also been using it on all the threaded parts and my mounts too.

I also got a pair of these channel locks with replaceable plastic jaw inserts. They're great for all sorts of suppressor related stuff

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EH99Y0C?tag=vglnk-c102-20
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:18:20 AM EDT
[#18]
yeah i'm gonna start using the anti seize.

After I got the end cap off I had a hell of a time getting the baffles out. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top