Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2017 1:13:04 AM EDT
I'm about to make my first purchase and having a hell of a time going back and forth between these two.  For all intents and purposes they cost they same ($50 difference at Capitol Armory--same price if I give up the muzzle device on the Omega purchase).  Back when I was first looking at purchasing a suppressor I was looking at the original Saker 762 since it seemed like the pinnacle offering of SiCo.  Now they have the revamped Saker ASR which leaves me feeling a bit unimpressed.  It's going to probably see 75% of use on a 10.5" 5.56 SBR, 15% use on a 14.5" pinned 5.56 AR, and 10% use on a .308 bolt gun.  I've read the new Saker ASR 762s are around 9" with the ASR QD mount and a flat cap.  What the heck did I build a 10.5" for if I'm gonna stick nearly the same length of the barrel on the end in the form of a suppressor?  

I saw the Omega and figured it looks like a promising option--about 1dB worse for 5.56 and .308 in terms of performance, but with ASR QD mount and flat cap a total length of ~6.9".  That sounds awesome, but a lot of the reviews I've been reading show the Omega is kind of a mid-tier compromise option in terms of materials.  

This is going to be an all around suppressor for at least 6-12 months and then once I purchase another I have the F4 wait so it'll be the only one for about 2 years.  I'd guess I'll shoot somewhere around 5K rounds of 5.56 over those two years and maybe 500-1000 rounds of .308--and I'd prefer the majority of those suppressed.

Then of course there is always the lingering thought that SiCo is going to drop or revamp the Omega line with something new--at least the Saker ASR's are fairly new.

Thoughts?

Edit: Made the decision and purchased an Omega...now to hurry up and wait.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 1:28:22 AM EDT
[#1]
The new "revamped" sakers are just more durable Omegas, since they have consolidated the mounting system. 

The only benefit a Saker is going to offer you over an Omega is very short barrel compatibility. 12" 308/7" 5.56, etc. If you aren't planning to have anything that short as a host, then you're just adding extra length and weight for no reason. 

Even full auto, the Omega is no slouch, as several YT videos can attest. 

Comparing decibels is also a purely academic exercise, as long as both are close and below hearing safe. I have two Omegas... one with a 762 flat cap and the other with a 556 end cap. On a 10.5" 5.56 rifle, they are both loud, but not so loud I need earpro (in the open desert). I can't tell an audible difference shooting them back to back, but my brother standing a few yards away thought the 556 endcap was a little bit quieter. If we are talking a decibel or two, it really doesn't matter, since they are both loud enough to sound like gunshots, but not so loud they hurt my ears, so what is the point of chasing decibels?

I say go for the Omega. 
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 1:33:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The new "revamped" sakers are just more durable Omegas, since they have consolidated the mounting system. 

The only benefit a Saker is going to offer you over an Omega is very short barrel compatibility. 12" 308/7" 5.56, etc. If you aren't planning to have anything that short as a host, then you're just adding extra length and weight for no reason. 

Even full auto, the Omega is no slouch, as several YT videos can attest. 

Comparing decibels is also a purely academic exercise, as long as both are close and below hearing safe. I have two Omegas... one with a 762 flat cap and the other with a 556 end cap. On a 10.5" 5.56 rifle, they are both loud, but not so loud I need earpro (in the open desert). I can't tell an audible difference shooting them back to back, but my brother standing a few yards away thought the 556 endcap was a little bit quieter. If we are talking a decibel or two, it really doesn't matter, since they are both loud enough to sound like gunshots, but not so loud they hurt my ears, so what is the point of chasing decibels?

I say go for the Omega. 
View Quote

I'd guess I'm no so much worried about chasing decibels as I am buying an Omega that get's dropped from the lineup before I take delivery while they introduce a Saker ASR 762K in it's place.  Seeing as it's going to be my "one size fits all" suppressor I was hoping to get a top of the line build in terms of materials and durability.  I guess my problem is I either get the size I want or the material/durability I want--I'd have no problem paying for both, but it's not an option.  I did find some Omega durability tests and they have been impressive--as of now I would say I am leaning that way.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 1:56:47 AM EDT
[#3]
honestly, man... that's the name of the NFA game when wait times are so long. A lot of people have been frustrated by their purchase being outdated before they even take possession. And even if wait times were shorter, improvements aren't generally so significant that you'd need to constantly upgrade your silencer whenever something new DOES come out. 

That being said... the Omega is a great can, and even if a better mousetrap is released in 6 months, that doesn't make the Omega less effective than it already is. I have 2, and their weight/modularity/effectiveness/durability leave nothing to be desired for the applications for which I employ them. 

I get the desire to want "the best and most durable-est" option available, but like you are seeing... there's no free lunch. There is also the importance of looking at what level of durability is really necessary for your needs. While an up-armored dump truck might be the most durable option available, that level of durability might exceed your requirements, and you'd be better off with an F150 in terms of actual use and better mileage, comfort, etc. At some point you are just chasing specs that don't translate into benefits in your real world for the sake of them being "better". 

So like I said before, if you're not planning on suppressing a 12" 308 or a 7" 5.56 rifle in the next 2 years, then you'll never miss the added "durability" of the Saker. If you end up getting an SBR Scar17 in a couple years, then go ahead and get a saker at that point... or whatever new "best-est can EVER" is available at that point. 
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 1:59:07 AM EDT
[#4]
"In total we sent 18 30 round magazines of 5.56 through the SilencerCo Omega"

SilencerCo Omega Full Auto Torture Test
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:26:10 AM EDT
[#5]
I have an Omega and SW762.
The omega is my favorite.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:03:48 AM EDT
[#6]
I would say get the Omega and skip the mount. Purchase the Dead Sir key-mo.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 5:11:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Unfortunately I already have ASR brakes on my rifles--swapping them all over to KeyMo mounts wouldn't really be ideal cost-wise.  From what I've read it was the old Trifecta system that gave the majority of the problems...ASR's have seemed to be fine
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 5:24:26 PM EDT
[#8]
You are dead set on Silencerco?
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 5:31:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You are dead set on Silencerco?
View Quote

For my first one it will be SilencerCo--I've got one AR with the rail specifically cut for the length required by an ASR mount (AXTS/Radian MI-T556S) and another that is in the process of getting a 51T flash hider removed and an ASR brake pinned in it's place and a .308 bolt gun that will be getting the included muzzle brake.  My primary concern is that on the first rifle if I swap mounts that I may not have enough clearance to attach the suppressor.

That's not to say I won't buy more in the future, but for now it makes the most sense to go the route of SiCo than spend a ton of money swapping out two muzzle devices, one that will need to be pinned all so I can wait 8 months to find out the suppressor I purchased won't actually clear the rail on the rifle I wanted to primarily use it on.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:03:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

For my first one it will be SilencerCo--I've got one AR with the rail specifically cut for the length required by an ASR mount (AXTS/Radian MI-T556S) and another that is in the process of getting a 51T flash hider removed and an ASR brake pinned in it's place and a .308 bolt gun that will be getting the included muzzle brake.  My primary concern is that on the first rifle if I swap mounts that I may not have enough clearance to attach the suppressor.

That's not to say I won't buy more in the future, but for now it makes the most sense to go the route of SiCo than spend a ton of money swapping out two muzzle devices, one that will need to be pinned all so I can wait 8 months to find out the suppressor I purchased won't actually clear the rail on the rifle I wanted to primarily use it on.
View Quote

If your rail is cut short enough to allow turning the ASR locking collar (which is slightly larger than the can body), it's hard to see how it could interfere with the Key-mo mount -which is the same diameter as the can body, and doesn't require access to a locking ring.

If two muzzle devices is a ton of money, then I have quite a few tons  in ASR, and I'm selling it all when I get switched to Key-mo.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:26:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If your rail is cut short enough to allow turning the ASR locking collar (which is slightly larger than the can body), it's hard to see how it could interfere with the Key-mo mount -which is the same diameter as the can body, and doesn't require access to a locking ring.
View Quote

I've never seen a KeyMo in person so I'm unfamiliar with how far back they mount--I've only seen pictures online.  The ASR lock ring basically does not extend past the ratchet or it does VERY minimally.  Past that is the "collar" that extends further down the barrel.  About 80% of the "collar" of the muzzle brake is underneath my handguard.  From what I see of the KeyMo mount the suppressor needs to be able to attach to the furthest rear part of the "collar" of the muzzle device which would be underneath the handguard.  Diameter is not what I'm worried about, how far back it needs to be able to snug onto the muzzle device is what concerns me.

Yes--two muzzle devices is not a "ton of money," you know what I mean.  I HAVE an ASR brake on one gun, I HAVE one in the process of getting pinned, I WILL be getting a third muzzle brake included with the suppressor for my bolt gun.  If I had to switch to KeyMo right now I've got to buy 3 new brakes (3 x $90), turn around from $150 of labor and parts and send the upper right back for $75 more labor, and then pay $100 to get the KeyMo QD mount for the suppressor body.  And on top of that there is STILL no guarantee it will fit.  $500 of parts and labor just so I can switch mount systems makes absolutely no sense when the suppressor itself only costs $825.  If I had Trifecta brakes maybe I'd be worried, but I don't understand how a KeyMo is $500 better and on top of that again, I still have no guarantee it will work.

First picture is looking straight down with the minimal clearance behind the ratchet section

A little bit of an angle that shows the muzzle device "collar" extending underneath the handguard

The following are all the same uppers using ASR devices...you can see how little clearance there is so if the KeyMo extended further down the muzzle device it would not clear the rail.

Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:57:18 PM EDT
[#12]
The thing about buying a can right now is the same as it always was - sooner you buy, sooner you get it - just moreso.

I would not wait for some other can to come out unless you have an inside line that (1) it's coming and (2) someone will have one to transfer to you.    If HPA passes while your can is in jail, you get your can.   If it passes and you have no can in jail, you are not getting anything for quite a while.

The Omega is a fantastic can.  The mount is OK, but it just plain sounds great, it's light, and it's durable enough for any reasonable application.   I would not hesitate to get one if weight or sound is your most important requirement and it needs to be a SiCo can.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:20:59 AM EDT
[#13]
For your hosts I would get the Omega.  As far as bang for your buck in a strictly centerfire rifle can, it is tough to beat.  Find one on sale before April and get $200 to spend with SiCo's rebate program, win/win/win
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:26:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
For your hosts I would get the Omega.  As far as bang for your buck in a strictly centerfire rifle can, it is tough to beat.  Find one on sale before April and get $200 to spend with SiCo's rebate program, win/win/win
View Quote

I think that's the plan--something like 10oz lighter and ~2" shorter and a fairly negligible difference in sound reduction.  I don't own any RDIAS or M16's so I can't imagine it would ever see the stress CA put on it in their test.  Finalizing my trust this week and hopefully will be making the purchase sometime at the beginning of the new month...definitely getting it before the SiCo rebate runs out though.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:11:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
"In total we sent 18 30 round magazines of 5.56 through the SilencerCo Omega"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Sj8FP5nh98
View Quote

Jesus that looks like fun...
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:07:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Weight is a too often overlooked suppressor characteristic, the less of it the better.

IMO, the Omega offers a great combination of features and has a deep, pleasing tone.

On sound and db, a small difference isn't significant and tone is very important. Most can't detect a difference less than 3bd but we can all detect differences in tone, and deeper, lower is better.

I haven't had any issues with the ASR mounts, but the are not idiot proof and care has to be taken when mounting the suppressor.

You can knock almost an inch off the Omega mounted length going direct thread if length is that important to you.

Fwiw, I have two Omegas and one YHM ULT, which is another lightweight, 30 cal, titanium suppressor. YHM has, by far, the best QD mounting system. The ULT is rated for some shorter barrels than the Omega.

JPK
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:47:23 PM EDT
[#17]
(In reference to the 6th post previous to this one)
Very nice photos.
As you state some uncertainty regarding the key-mo mount, and how it differs from the ASR -there are some utube videos that show this quite well.  Just search Omega Key-Mo mount.
The Key-Mo muzzle brake/FH could be several inches down inside the handguard; it just doesn't matter, as there is no locking ring to turn -you turn the suppressor body to lock and unlock.
BUT, if the Omega body won't fit easily down into the handguard (lets say with the ASR mount attached, to allow a little bit of clearance) -none of this matters, and you might be better off to stay with what you have.
One issue raised with the Omega Key-Mo adapter is that the entire adapter could unthread from the Omega body, if it isn't wrenched on tight enough.  
Not enough real world use yet to know if that will be an issue,  but, the same can be said for using the Omega direct thread mount; all that only gets really inconvenient when it happens down inside a handguard.  But, I don't want it happening at all.

If you want to stay with the ASR system, more power to you.  To each their own, and I hope it works well for you.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:00:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
(In reference to the 6th post previous to this one)
Very nice photos.
As you state some uncertainty regarding the key-mo mount, and how it differs from the ASR -there are some utube videos that show this quite well.  Just search Omega Key-Mo mount.
The Key-Mo muzzle brake/FH could be several inches down inside the handguard; it just doesn't matter, as there is no locking ring to turn -you turn the suppressor body to lock and unlock.
One issue raised with the Omega Key-Mo adapter is that the entire adapter could unthread from the Omega body, if it isn't wrenched on tight enough.  
Not enough real world use yet to know if that will be an issue,  but, same can be said for using the Omega direct thread mount, and all of this only gets really inconvenient when it happens down inside a handguard.  But, I don't want it happening at all.

If you want to stay with the ASR system, more power to you.  To each their own, and I hope it works well for you.
View Quote

the Key-mo brake could NOT be several inches down inside the handguard, since the handguard'd interior diameter is too narrow to allow the silencer inside. He wouldn't be able to attach the can if the muzzle device brings the base of the silencer even a small fraction of an inch closer to the rail, since the can won't fit under the rail. Try looking at those "very nice photos" again. 

Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:04:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Went over to my local SOT today with my 10.5" and handled an original Saker, a Hybrid, and an Omega.  Saker was definitely noticeably heavier and that's not even the new one that's even longer and heavier.  Love the way the Omega looked and felt when mounted to the gun.  On top of that they offered to price match CA and do my paperwork/fingerprints for me.  I would still like to just be able to handle a Saker ASR, but I'm 99% sure I'm going the Omega route.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:14:16 PM EDT
[#20]
I own two original Saker 762s and two Omegas. I also had the opportunity to handle the new Saker ASR 762 side by side with an Omega. Seeing your host requirements I would strongly suggest purchasing the Omega over the Saker ASR 762 due to weight and length benefits. If you don't plan on running a .308 at less than 16" or a 5.56 less than 10.5" the Omega will serve you well. Decibel reduction won't be discernible between the two using supersonic ammunition and the Omega is a top performer with subsonic 300 BLK. Capitol Armory is great to work with and are very proficient with submitting paperwork. They also can take your prints digitally in their shop which guarantees they won't be rejected. If you go with your local dealer do your best to get a good feeling on their competence with submitting the paperwork and taking quality prints. It isn't the most difficult process in the world but it would really suck to have your first get delayed!
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:30:43 PM EDT
[#21]
+1 to everything Daggert said as an Omega owner with other 30 cans to compare it to.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:25:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I own two original Saker 762s and two Omegas. I also had the opportunity to handle the new Saker ASR 762 side by side with an Omega. Seeing your host requirements I would strongly suggest purchasing the Omega over the Saker ASR 762 due to weight and length benefits. If you don't plan on running a .308 at less than 16" or a 5.56 less than 10.5" the Omega will serve you well. Decibel reduction won't be discernible between the two using supersonic ammunition and the Omega is a top performer with subsonic 300 BLK. Capitol Armory is great to work with and are very proficient with submitting paperwork. They also can take your prints digitally in their shop which guarantees they won't be rejected. If you go with your local dealer do your best to get a good feeling on their competence with submitting the paperwork and taking quality prints. It isn't the most difficult process in the world but it would really suck to have your first get delayed!
View Quote

Technically the Omega is rated down to 10" with 5.56.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:47:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Technically the Omega is rated down to 10" with 5.56.
View Quote

True, but I doubt the OP is going to add a 10" upper to the safe when he already has a 10.5" ;) Speaking of that, SilencerCo really needs to update the barrel length restriction page!
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:06:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

the Key-mo brake could NOT be several inches down inside the handguard, since the handguard'd interior diameter is too narrow to allow the silencer inside. He wouldn't be able to attach the can if the muzzle device brings the base of the silencer even a small fraction of an inch closer to the rail, since the can won't fit under the rail. Try looking at those "very nice photos" again. 

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/btm7687/Weapons%20of%20Minor%20Destruction/asr-mount-3_1024x1024_zpsjeyho7rq.jpg
View Quote

Your response has my post edited to remove the sentence: "BUT, if the omega won't fit down inside the handguard....with the locking ring...etc., none of this matters...stay with what you have."  
I can't accurately judge the clearance from these photos, but maybe you can.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 12:02:41 PM EDT
[#25]
The above was correct--the suppressor would not fit inside my handguard.  I ended up deciding on the Omega; went to my dealer yesterday and paid for it.  They're typing up my F4 and I will be going back today or tomorrow to sign it and do prints/pictures.  On another note I have no idea WTF SiCo is thinking since they give you a muzzle device with the purchase and then another one when you register it.  Guess I get a little bit back after I sell these.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 2:47:59 PM EDT
[#26]
The Omega is definitely lighter.  I doubt you'll see a difference in durability between the two.  There have been reports of the guts of the Omega going down range due to a specific failure, but SiCo will fix that right up.

I've got a Saker 7.62 and have had no issues with the four Trifecta mounts (one hand on/off!) and love the can.  I only notice the weight on the 14.5", not the .308s or the SBR.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:29:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The above was correct--the suppressor would not fit inside my handguard.  I ended up deciding on the Omega; went to my dealer yesterday and paid for it.  They're typing up my F4 and I will be going back today or tomorrow to sign it and do prints/pictures.  On another note I have no idea WTF SiCo is thinking since they give you a muzzle device with the purchase and then another one when you register it.  Guess I get a little bit back after I sell these.
View Quote

I don't think they still give you one with registering. I was on there the other day and the only option for a freebie was a hat I think.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 10:55:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I don't think they still give you one with registering. I was on there the other day and the only option for a freebie was a hat I think.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Weird...I registered mine Thursday afternoon right after I bought it.  I had the drop down to select the hat, but I also had a drop down to select a thread size and whether I wanted a brake or flash hider.  Guess we will see if one shows up or not.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 12:07:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

The muzzle device option will appear when you enter the Omega serial number. It won't show up without the serial number or non-Omega serial number.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 12:52:03 PM EDT
[#30]
I was in the same boat as you before. I got a specwar in 30 cal. and I wish I had gotten an specwar 556 K. 90% of your shooting is 556 get a 556 can. 30 cal cans are fine but the weight is a killer. Especially on a light SBR. Your POA/POI will change more with a heavier can also.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 1:52:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I was in the same boat as you before. I got a specwar in 30 cal. and I wish I had gotten an specwar 556 K. 90% of your shooting is 556 get a 556 can. 30 cal cans are fine but the weight is a killer. Especially on a light SBR. Your POA/POI will change more with a heavier can also.
View Quote

Specwar 556K weights more than an Omega.. ?
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 2:26:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Specwar 556K weights more than an Omega.. ?
View Quote

For all intents and purposes, the same.

On my scale:
Specwar 5.56K: 14.8 ounces
Omega with flat front cap and ASR mount: 15.0 ounces
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 6:50:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Weird...I registered mine Thursday afternoon right after I bought it.  I had the drop down to select the hat, but I also had a drop down to select a thread size and whether I wanted a brake or flash hider.  Guess we will see if one shows up or not.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well that was ridiculously fast--I registered it late Thursday and USPS just delivered my registration package that had a hat as well as my muzzle brake
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 7:26:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

For all intents and purposes, the same.

On my scale:
Specwar 5.56K: 14.8 ounces
Omega with flat front cap and ASR mount: 15.0 ounces
View Quote

That's what I thought, I was really questioning N1150x's statement.   Now if we had a titanium taper-mount for the Omega/Hybrid, that would be sweet.

-J
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top