Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/5/2016 12:40:50 AM EDT
Hey all. I just got my Dead Air Mask 22 HD, let me just say first off. .22 suppressed is awesome. No super expensive ammo, just shoot and its super quiet.
I've noticed some people saying that only carbon builds up on the baffles but also lead too. Why exactly is this, and why does it only seem to be an issue with .22lr? Is it because the copper plate on the bullet is very thin? Or is it simply a result of using bullets with no copper on them? If I wish to make my suppressor get less deposits, should I use any specific ammo?
Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 1:12:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hey all. I just got my Dead Air Mask 22 HD, let me just say first off. .22 suppressed is awesome. No super expensive ammo, just shoot and its super quiet.
I've noticed some people saying that only carbon builds up on the baffles but also lead too. Why exactly is this, and why does it only seem to be an issue with .22lr? Is it because the copper plate on the bullet is very thin? Or is it simply a result of using bullets with no copper on them? If I wish to make my suppressor get less deposits, should I use any specific ammo?
Thanks guys.
View Quote

1) there is lead in the priming compound
2) plating on the 22 lr bullet, if any, is very thin and rifling does cut through it
3) friction and pressure flash vaporize and/or liquify tiny bits of lead
4) abrasion scrapes bits of lead which are blown into the suppressor
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 11:05:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

2) plating on the 22 lr bullet, if any, is very thin and rifling does cut through it
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks guys.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe at least some plated bullets are not plated on the back side, allowing some lead to be blown away.  I've heard this, but never looked for myself.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 2:00:32 PM EDT
[#3]
You'll definitely get lead buildup, some guys clean baffles back to being spotless every time. There's really no need for that, dirty suppressors sound better (at least until you start losing too much volume)!

Probably around every 1000rnds I get the big chunks off and get back to a thin layer of crud on the baffle faces, then clean the skirts off and the tube out, then go back together with it.

My first .22 suppressor was a Form 1 and it was very disappointing (noise wise) at first until it got some buildup on it, now I just scrape off the worst of it when it's really building up and go back to shooting!
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 7:11:23 PM EDT
[#4]
i put probably 10,000 rounds through my can before I cleaned it. But, I'm stupid. I know better now, and it's been a multi-week process to get it apart and clean. Mine was full to the point that it wasn't really making it quiet. so probably don 't wait as long as I did , which was about about 6 years? man it's probably more than 10k rounds... I shoot like 300 a month. damn OK like 22,000 rounds. at lets say 5 cents a round. crap, that's $1100 in lead I didn't want to hear. don't do this math.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 7:25:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
i put probably 10,000 rounds through my can before I cleaned it. But, I'm stupid. I know better now, and it's been a multi-week process to get it apart and clean. Mine was full to the point that it wasn't really making it quiet. so probably don 't wait as long as I did , which was about about 6 years? man it's probably more than 10k rounds... I shoot like 300 a month. damn OK like 22,000 rounds. at lets say 5 cents a round. crap, that's $1100 in lead I didn't want to hear. don't do this math.
View Quote

Hmmm, you make me feel better about my 22 suppressor cleaning regimen!

JPK
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 10:26:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

JPK
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

JPK

No kidding.  I get antsy to clean after 500 rounds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top