Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/3/2016 9:14:13 PM EDT
I'm thinking I'd like a suppressed 45+ cal non automatic rifle.  Thinking of taking a H&R  HandyRifle  in 45LC/410 and threading it.  It should get me 300+ grains, 50% more energy  than a 300 Blk, with a bigger hole and a bigger meplat.    I've got a .458 SOCOM, but I'm thinking the handy rifle is more practical and quieter.  Ideally, I'll use this with a TiRant 45, but optionally a large .458 suppressor.

So the question: is a 45/410 chamber as accurate as a dedicated 45 chamber?  I've never looked at one.  Also will the twist rate support large bullets (350 gr), even with the turbulence of the suppressor.

I'm guessing this will suppress a lot better then a .45-70  with it's larger case volume (based on info on various forums).  I'm thinking putting a large suppressor (Liberty Goliath) even at the end of a 16" BB is going to make for a somewhat awkward weapon- whereas the 45LC should work with a TiRant.

Also I think with greater diameter, 45LC has a significant advantage over 44mag.  For reference, I own and reload 44 mag, 45-70 and 45LC.

Any thoughts?  Purpose is fun, pest control, and whitetails.  I love my suppressed 300 Blkout, but it's like shooting an arrow with a field point.  The Indians knew better 400 years ago.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 12:29:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Thinking of taking a H&R  HandyRifle  in 45LC/410 and threading it.  It should get me 300+ grains...
View Quote

I put a Bowers can on a .44 Contender barrel around 15 years ago.  I suspect results would be similar to the .45 Colt.  While it suppressed well enough, I found I got a massive POI shift when shooting with the can vs without.  It was hitting several feet low at 100 yards.  No, I wasn't getting baffle strikes.  I think it had to do with how the gun recoiled differently when the can was on.  

This was with a 10" pistol barrel.  If shooting from a rest, the gun would rise off the rest in recoil when shooting unsuppressed. Screw the can on and it would recoil straight backward, with zero muzzle climb.  Subsequently, the unsuppressed bullet would hit higher.  You would see this as well when shooting .44 Spl (800 fps) vs. .44 Mag (1600 fps).  Again, the round with less recoil would hit noticeably lower.  But the weight of the suppressor made a much bigger difference than just cutting the bullet velocity in half.

I went so far as to SBR the gun, hoping shooting with a stock would help.  It didn't.  

So just plan to only shoot it suppressed.  No reason not to, right?

Quoted:
So the question: is a 45/410 chamber as accurate as a dedicated 45 chamber?  I've never looked at one.  Also will the twist rate support large bullets (350 gr), even with the turbulence of the suppressor.
View Quote

Dedicated .45 chamber will likely be more accurate.  I've got a .45/.410 barrel for my Contender as well, because that's one that every Contender owner should have.  I've even got the less common 16" barrel.  And it does not shoot either cartridge as well as a dedicated gun.  At 50 yards, I can shoot tighter groups with a 4-5/8" Ruger Blackhawk.  And even with the choke installed, it shoots doughnut patterns with shot shells.  I've got a $100 Brazilian .410 that performs worlds better.

With the internal threading for the choke, my barrel is likely too thin to thread for a muzzle can.  Unless you're set on running .410 as well, I'd skip that and get just the .45 Colt chamber.
Quoted:
I'm guessing this will suppress a lot better then a .45-70  with it's larger case volume (based on info on various forums).  I'm thinking putting a large Also I think with greater diameter, 45LC has a significant advantage over 44mag.  
View Quote

That's another whole discussion, but for the marginal difference in diameter I doubt the deer you shoot with it would be able to tell the difference.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 4:35:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the response,  As far as I can find, H&R doesn't build a single shot in "plain" 45LC, just in 44mag and .410/45LC (and .45-70).  I'm not worried about the choke, I'll cut it off and then thread at 16" (if I like it I'll SBR it).  I'll search for an older gun if they were ever made in 45 LC- Ive never owned a TC contender and the only experience I have with the 410/45LC is with a friend's Judge, which patterns better then I expected but that's out of a short bbl- and I doubt the rifling gets much of a bite on the shot cup- I've fired hundreds of homemade and CCI shotshells out of a .44 and .357 so I know what you mean about the donut pattern.  For what I used them for (rats and snakes at arms length) I liked the quick opening pattern.  I've shot a few snakes where I didn't even see the head.

When I looked, TC would require a custom barrel, and I was looking at $700+ for an experiment without a hell of a lot of resale value (I'm only interested in a rifle)

My only reason for the .45-70 was thinking it might be easier to load heavier bullets (and that molds and factory bullets may be easier to find in heavy weights and .458 diameter- for example 405gr is a standard load in a 45-70)  I hadn't even considered the minimal diameter increase.  And of course it's a standard offering.  But I hear it's hard to suppress a 45-70.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 10:55:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the response,  As far as I can find, H&R doesn't build a single shot in "plain" 45LC, just in 44mag and .410/45LC (and .45-70).  I'm not worried about the choke, I'll cut it off and then thread at 16" (if I like it I'll SBR it).  I'll search for an older gun if they were ever made in 45 LC- Ive never owned a TC contender and the only experience I have with the 410/45LC is with a friend's Judge, which patterns better then I expected but that's out of a short bbl- and I doubt the rifling gets much of a bite on the shot cup- I've fired hundreds of homemade and CCI shotshells out of a .44 and .357 so I know what you mean about the donut pattern.  For what I used them for (rats and snakes at arms length) I liked the quick opening pattern.  I've shot a few snakes where I didn't even see the head.

When I looked, TC would require a custom barrel, and I was looking at $700+ for an experiment without a hell of a lot of resale value (I'm only interested in a rifle)

My only reason for the .45-70 was thinking it might be easier to load heavier bullets (and that molds and factory bullets may be easier to find in heavy weights and .458 diameter- for example 405gr is a standard load in a 45-70)  I hadn't even considered the minimal diameter increase.  And of course it's a standard offering.  But I hear it's hard to suppress a 45-70.
View Quote

H&R doesn't make anything anymore. They did make 45 colt rifles, the originals were on shotgun frames and later on the SB2 frames. They command a premium now. Easier solution would be a lever action 45Colt. I wouldn't mess with .410 chamber. If your up for something custom and really cool, check out D&T custom Gunworks he can take any rifle caliber Handi and stub the barrel to 45 colt with a match threaded barrel. Also does trigger jobs.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 11:19:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm thinking I'd like a suppressed 45+ cal non automatic rifle.  Thinking of taking a H&R  HandyRifle  in 45LC/410 and threading it.  It should get me 300+ grains, 50% more energy  than a 300 Blk, with a bigger hole and a bigger meplat.    I've got a .458 SOCOM, but I'm thinking the handy rifle is more practical and quieter.  Ideally, I'll use this with a TiRant 45, but optionally a large .458 suppressor.

I'm guessing this will suppress a lot better then a .45-70  with it's larger case volume (based on info on various forums).  I'm thinking putting a large suppressor (Liberty Goliath) even at the end of a 16" BB is going to make for a somewhat awkward weapon- whereas the 45LC should work with a TiRant.

Also I think with greater diameter, 45LC has a significant advantage over 44mag.  For reference, I own and reload 44 mag, 45-70 and 45LC.

Any thoughts?  Purpose is fun, pest control, and whitetails.  I love my suppressed 300 Blkout, but it's like shooting an arrow with a field point.  The Indians knew better 400 years ago.
View Quote

I like your project and don't want to discourage it, but you can buy 300BLK subsonic expanding bullets and loaded ammo. The loaded ammo is expensive, but it works. REAPR ammo is sold here on Arcom, Leighigh Defense is available. For bullets, Hawk has an expanding 300BLK bullet, Maker Bullets I'd, I think what loaded in the REAPR ammo, and Outlaw State are the expanding bullets I'm aware of.

JPK

Link Posted: 12/6/2016 10:43:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Unless you already have the handi rifle or can get it very cheap you might end up not liking the single shot aspect.   I have a Rossi single shot and it never gets shot, too boring and impractical.   A friend bought a handi last winter and has yet to shoot it because it's single shot.  Also be aware the 44 handi has a 38 inch twist, some say causes problems with 300+ grain bullets.  Don't know about a 45 handi rifle.  

If you live near Huntsville you can get the round barrel rossis in 44 or 45 for under $500 out the door.  Mine is 44 and shoots 300gr bullets just fine and is quieter than I had hoped for.  You can also get 77/44 for around $700 in Huntsville depending on caliber and model.  

There is also 45-70 whisper if you want 500gr bullets....

The caliber will make no noticeable difference , pick the one you shoot most often to make loading and keeping components on hand simpler.  

One good option I've yet to see anyone silence is the 454casull Rossi 92.  It shoots 45 colt through the loading gate.  Can also shoot 454 if you want max power for whatever reason.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top