Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/3/2016 4:03:05 PM EDT
Y'all steered me right in the past on 9mm subsonics, so what does the forum like in factory subsonic .300BO ammo? and where to get it in bulk?

I'd be willing to trade a little extra noise for cheaper ammo, but likewise would pay a little more for quieter ammo - if that makes any sense.  If there's a small price increase for a large sound reduction, I'd probably do it.  OTOH, if I can save $0.10-0.20/rd at the cost of only a small noise increase I'd rather do that.

TIA!

ETA: I was primarily asking about target/plinking use, but I'd like a few boxes of hunting/defense, so advice on both is appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 4:14:55 PM EDT
[#1]

I've shot the Remington 220gr with no problem through mine.  You can get it for about $15 or so a box.

Link Posted: 12/3/2016 4:24:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I've shot the Remington 220gr with no problem through mine.  You can get it for about $15 or so a box.
View Quote

I've found Remington to be inconsistent when it comes to subs.  We tend to often call it subsonic-ish.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 4:38:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I've found Remington to be inconsistent when it comes to subs.  We tend to often call it subsonic-ish.
View Quote

Hmm, I've never had a problem through a couple hundred rounds.  Shooting out of a 9" barrel and a 7.62 Specwar.

Link Posted: 12/3/2016 5:45:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Gemtech's 187 is my go to ammo. It goes on sale quite a bit and can be found at some other dealers.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 7:10:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I shot Gemtech 220's at first and would just wait for them to go on sale to load up. However I tried out Gorilla 220's and have since switched. I load up on them when Midway or else where has a good % off coupon. Gorilla is a bit high but consistent and quiet.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 7:21:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Remington and Hornady both sound like you disconnected an air tool from a pressurized line.

Neither effectively expand.  Even the A-Max or V-Max whatever their 208 Gr factory load is.  Not even a little bit.  I put a finishing shot on a mortally wounded doe with the Remington 220 Subs.  If it was not previously hit, I may have never found it.  I shot it in the neck and failed to hit the spinal cord directly.  It broke a vertebrae but not the spine.  And I put a second in it, brain shot, to finish it fast and humanely.  The only Subs I would ever use for hunting are the Lehigh Defense subsonics.

Otherwise, the rest are pretty much the same.  They are NOT a hunting round.  They are for target only or small vermin perhaps.  I imagine it would be devastating on fox, coon, coyote, etc.  

FWIW - The Remingtons shoot pretty nice out of my RARR with Ti Phantom 7.62.  Typically produces 50 yard groups of 1" or less.  I am waiting to bust some coons with this set up soon.  It is such a small and handy rifle.  It feels like you are carrying a .22LR around or something.  Not a firearm with the punch of nearly a .30-30.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 8:10:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Gemtech, Sig Sauer 220 and SilencerCo Harvester 220 have all worked well when I've used them.

Link Posted: 12/3/2016 9:04:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the responses so far - I should have mentioned mostly target/plinking but it would be nice to have a few boxes of hunting/defense ammo.  I'll go edit the OP to be clear for future readers.  

So far the only numbers I've seen have been $0.75/rd.  Is that about the going rate?
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:32:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought a case of Gorilla and they are pretty quiet. I don't remember where, but might be worth looking into.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:34:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

I bought 4 or 5 boxes of the green and white box 220 gr subsonic and they actually key holed in two different guns with and without the cans. I'd never seen it before but we were getting perfect bullet profile holes in the 4' x 8' plywood at 85 yards. They also had a spread from point of aim within 6-7' any direction. We shot the rest of it up just to get the brass to reload (shooting bad ammo is still more fun than pulling it!).

I've had good luck with the Gemtech and Sig subsonics but they aren't cheap. Amazingly my semi-cheap 208 gr ELD-M reloads have grouped the best and function the gas guns every time.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 2:36:49 AM EDT
[#11]
The S&B Subsonics can be found under $11 per 20.  I have no experience with them other than storing them in an ammo can today.  My 300s are an AR pistol and a Ruger American, but neither has a can yet (Hybrid is in at the dealer and I need to get to the dealer to start paperwork).  I have shot a few of the Rem UMC 220s and they shot fine without a suppressor.

Rob
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 2:46:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The S&B Subsonics can be found under $11 per 20.

Rob
View Quote

I'm waiting to find a box of these in stock so I can try them. Best pricing by far. If they're at least somewhat accurate, it'll be my go-to.

I run Remington green/yellow 220s, and they're very accurate. I also run PNWArms 220s, with the same results (both use SMKs).
Tried Federal Suppressor 220s, and 1 out of 4 went supersonic in my RARR.
I've read that FOG is good (also using SMKs or Amax), but I haven't ordered any yet.

Honestly other than rounds going supersonic, I can't tell much of a difference in sound level with 300blk (unlike 9mm).
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 3:50:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I bought a case of Gorilla and they are pretty quiet. I don't remember where, but might be worth looking into.
View Quote

I've had good luck with the Gorilla Troop subs for simple blasting.  Buy direct.  They run decent specials from time to time.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 8:12:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Specify which Remington subs. I buy the green/yellow box and found them to be very consistent velocity and extremely accurate. The white/green UMC box, not so much.

On my 8" 300blk, the Rem green/yellow hit same spot as supers at 50yrds.

I now buy the S&B subs due to cost. About half the price when in stock.

S&B 200gr $10.92
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 8:45:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I've had good luck with the Gorilla Troop subs for simple blasting.  Buy direct.  They run decent specials from time to time.
View Quote

Gorilla is good stuff and like you said they run sales often.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 8:53:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed. It's nice and cheap, but if you use it, ensure you're using a can rated for supers as I have had multiples in the same box go super on me.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 9:00:13 AM EDT
[#17]
I really like the SilencerCo stuff. A little pricey tho.
Its been a while since I bought from them but I really liked using Ozark Ordinance. I'm not sure if I ever got or if they offer subs, but I got some supers that I thought were good.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 9:00:40 AM EDT
[#18]
I've found Gemtech, Sig and gorilla are all gtg. Haven't been able to try the SiCo stuff, but it's on my short list
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 11:24:17 AM EDT
[#19]
None of the non expanding ammo is good on even raccoons. The bullets just pass through leaning a caliber hole.

ARFCOM sells expanding subsonic 300BLK ammo that works well, called Reaper, iirc.

JPK
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 11:49:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Y'all steered me right in the past on 9mm subsonics, so what does the forum like in factory subsonic .300BO ammo? and where to get it in bulk?

I'd be willing to trade a little extra noise for cheaper ammo, but likewise would pay a little more for quieter ammo - if that makes any sense.  If there's a small price increase for a large sound reduction, I'd probably do it.  OTOH, if I can save $0.10-0.20/rd at the cost of only a small noise increase I'd rather do that.

TIA!

ETA: I was primarily asking about target/plinking use, but I'd like a few boxes of hunting/defense, so advice on both is appreciated.
View Quote

The Remington 220 sucks. I have tried multiple batches and it is 6MOA ammo at best.

I have had good luck with Gemtech and Silencerco.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 11:51:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I bought 4 or 5 boxes of the green and white box 220 gr subsonic and they actually key holed in two different guns with and without the cans. I'd never seen it before but we were getting perfect bullet profile holes in the 4' x 8' plywood at 85 yards. They also had a spread from point of aim within 6-7' any direction. We shot the rest of it up just to get the brass to reload (shooting bad ammo is still more fun than pulling it!).
View Quote

Same here. I dumped it of a Machine Gun just to get rid of it.

Spray and Pray.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 1:59:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Spray and Pray.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Spray and Pray.

I don't have the MG to shoot it through, but my 14 yr old grandson was pretty good at making empty brass out of full ones. After finishing off the last of the UMC in short order, he was all smiles!

ETA:  Excellent results with Gemtech 187ss andSilencerco 208ss.  The Gemtech 187 was purchased in bulk during last year's blemish sale. Occasionally, Target Sports USA has Gemtech/PNW on special. My last order had the Gemtech ammo in PNW boxes.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 4:00:51 PM EDT
[#23]
I swore off the the umc after finding a loose projectile and powder in a box. 6 other rounds in that box allowed me to pull the projectile by hand.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 4:32:50 PM EDT
[#24]
I stocked up on Silencerco Harvester 220 smk subs a while back, I got them for 65 cents a round. They are consistent and very accurate out of my 8" Seekins barrel. I also bought about 800 rounds of the S&B 200 fmj subs but I have yet to try them out. I shot 1 box of the Remington umc subs and they weren't as accurate as the Silencerco for me.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 8:03:50 PM EDT
[#25]
When this stuff is available, buy it from our local ARFCOM vendor: http://www.sgammo.com/catalog/rifle-ammo-sale/300-aac-blackout-ammo
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 9:51:44 PM EDT
[#26]
I bought a couple of cases of the Silencerco factory ammo and it shoots and groups really good. I also bought a case of the Hornady 208gr subs when PSA had it on sale. It's basically the same as the SilencerCo.  The Remington 220gr is about the cheapest you'll find for around $17 a box.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 10:35:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I bought a couple of cases of the Silencerco factory ammo and it shoots and groups really good. I also bought a case of the Hornady 208gr subs when PSA had it on sale. It's basically the same as the SilencerCo.  The Remington 220gr is about the cheapest you'll find for around $17 a box.
View Quote

People in this thread have linked to cheaper anmo
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 3:29:26 PM EDT
[#28]

Best subs I have found are PNW 220gr. Good price, very consistent and clean.

Second best, Gemtech, but holy shit is it dirty. I find my lower full of "powder" after only running 2 or 3 mags.

Third, Remmy Yellow box> For my guns, works just fine. Very few go super

Last place Remmy white box. Velocity all over the place. Quite a few going super.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 4:50:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Best subs I have found are PNW 220gr. Good price, very consistent and clean.

Second best, Gemtech, but holy shit is it dirty. I find my lower full of "powder" after only running 2 or 3 mags.

Third, Remmy Yellow box> For my guns, works just fine. Very few go super

Last place Remmy white box. Velocity all over the place. Quite a few going super.
View Quote

I forgot about that part of the Gemtechs. Whatever that gold "filler" is it gets EVERYWHERE.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 4:59:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Gemtech's 187 is my go to ammo. It goes on sale quite a bit and can be found at some other dealers.
View Quote

Mine too, until I got into my stash of rounds with powdercoated bullets (bought a case of blems a while back) in the last match.  They don't like to feed from some mags because of the increased drag of the bullet on the plastic mag rib.  The bolt outruns the mag in my case.
Went from a gun/mags with zero issues to half a dozen feed failures in as many stages.
Their non-powdercoated stuff runs like a top, as well as any of the Rem I've put through it.

Hornady 208 has been my favorite so far, and it's more accurate than either, but it's in a different price bracket.

For shooting anything besides paper, splurge on Lehigh or REPR (in the arfcom store).
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 6:06:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Mine too, until I got into my stash of rounds with powdercoated bullets (bought a case of blems a while back) in the last match.  They don't like to feed from some mags because of the increased drag of the bullet on the plastic mag rib.  The bolt outruns the mag in my case.
Went from a gun/mags with zero issues to half a dozen feed failures in as many stages.
Their non-powdercoated stuff runs like a top, as well as any of the Rem I've put through it.

Hornady 208 has been my favorite so far, and it's more accurate than either, but it's in a different price bracket.

For shooting anything besides paper, splurge on Lehigh or REPR (in the arfcom store).
View Quote

Lehigh is on my list to buy & try.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 7:58:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Lehigh is on my list to buy & try.
View Quote

Same here, Beck ammo loads their 194 grain all copper bullet. Also there is Gorilla silverback 205 grain all copper bullet I've been wanting to try in hogs, I've found them for about $1.50 a round. I plan to get a few boxes of each to see which is more accurate.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 12:26:06 AM EDT
[#33]
There was a brand that popped up a year or so ago... MAST Technology

They were selling cases of 220gr SMK subs for 700-800 bucks. I was skeptical, but couldn't beat the price at the time. I bought 3 cases and should have bought way more...

That ammo ended up being the quietest 300BLK I've tested to date. Average FPS out of an 7.75" with SiCo Omega = 980
Its accurate, quiet, and high quality. They have their own head stamp on the casings... Supposedly a company that supplies 300BLK to SF units

Ive tried over 12 different manufactures SUBs and these were the best value/performance

Now you can't find them... but the company/ammo is GTG
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 8:55:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
There was a brand that popped up a year or so ago... MAST Technology

They were selling cases of 220gr SMK subs for 700-800 bucks. I was skeptical, but couldn't beat the price at the time. I bought 3 cases and should have bought way more...

That ammo ended up being the quietest 300BLK I've tested to date. Average FPS out of an 7.75" with SiCo Omega = 980
Its accurate, quiet, and high quality. They have their own head stamp on the casings... Supposedly a company that supplies 300BLK to SF units

Ive tried over 12 different manufactures SUBs and these were the best value/performance

Now you can't find them... but the company/ammo is GTG
View Quote

Supposedly this is mast ammo:

http://www.blackgunindustries.com/products/300-aac-blackout-220gr-sierra-hpbt-sub-sonic
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 9:07:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Highly recommend FOG 220gr subs.  You can sign up for notifications and find seconds and free shipping fairly frequently 
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 4:09:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go back and read OP's post, he's all over the place with what he wants, but did specify at the end that he wanted some quality ammo. I was just responding with what I have used. I purchased the Hornady when it was on sale at PSA and the SilcencerCo when they were running a 35% off sale, so even quality ammo can be found at reasonably prices if you're not in a hurry. If he's waiting for some of the other cheaper ammo listed to come back in stock, he's going to be waiting anyways.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 3:05:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Sorry for causing confusion!  Thanks to the thread, I was able to get an order in on Friday for the S&B subsonics from Sportsmans Guide (looks like they're OOS again).  I'll keep an eye out for the Gorilla Troop stuff and some of the other higher-quality options posted here.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 10:43:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Gemtech 220s have been great for me.  I've shot them out to 500 yards in light wind and can keep all shots well within a standard IPSC target.  Given the TOF and the fact that I'm shooting a light weight SBR, I think that that is very good accuracy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top