Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/29/2016 6:01:34 PM EDT
I know there have been several threads on suppressor covers here, but I can't seem to find them.  I'm assuming the Armageddon ones are pretty good since Hansohn Brothers carries them.  Are there any others to consider?

Also, do you typically buy one for each suppressor?  I have quite a few rifle cans and don't really want to buy one for each of them.  Also, they have 5", 7", and 9"... if I have a suppressor that's 5 3/4", will the 5" work or do I need to jump up to the 7"?

What logic do you use for which one(s) to buy and how many?
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 6:09:43 PM EDT
[#1]
i have had good luck with these:  http://www.bowersgroup.com/product/griptasticsupcov-high-temp-silicone-silencer-covers/

Link Posted: 11/29/2016 6:26:46 PM EDT
[#2]
https://www.riflesonly.com/rifles-only-gear-suppressor-cover-had

This is the most heat resistant cloth style wrap on the market as far as I've been able to tell, and the cord won't melt.  I was told to get the 5" for a Surefire 556 RC2, which is 6.2 including the lock ring.  They said it would leave a little tube exposed but that was good for allowing some cooling of the suppressor.  I think the 5" would be ideal for a 5 3/4" can.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 8:18:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Easy..http://www.cole-tac.com and use code NFAREVIEW to knock off some $

Great product, great company and American made! Also, Don't ever let the cover slide in front of your cans endcap when shooting precision. It will create a false crown and open up your groupings. This is why I prefer the Cole-Tac covers. You can cinch them super tight. This is also why you should order your cover to an exact measurement, which you can also do through Cole-Tac.

Link Posted: 11/29/2016 10:55:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Ordered one from col-tac on Black Friday looks good
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 11:30:18 PM EDT
[#5]
What are you looking for in a suppressor cover? Something to fight mirage or something to keep you from burning yourself while you move/transition with a rifle and maintain a steady rate of fire?

Link Posted: 11/30/2016 9:01:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ordered on from col-tac on Black Friday looks good
View Quote

+1 on coletac -- the vecro straps are tight and don't double the OD of the cover by wrapping the thing all over with shock cord. The scout lights coming off my KMR rails leave little clearance for covers and cole-tac does the job.

Haven't tested the high-temp one under truly rapid fire -- I'm not a mag-dump sort of guy. I'm doing a Pat Mac course this weekend and will report back.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 2:38:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

+1 on coletac -- the vecro straps are tight and don't double the OD of the cover by wrapping the thing all over with shock cord. The scout lights coming off my KMR rails leave little clearance for covers and cole-tac does the job.

Haven't tested the high-temp one under truly rapid fire -- I'm not a mag-dump sort of guy. I'm doing a Pat Mac course this weekend and will report back.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ordered on from col-tac on Black Friday looks good

Which cole tac model did you get? Please do report back after the class. Very interested in results and need a cover.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 5:16:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Which cole tac model did you get? Please do report back after the class. Very interested in results and need a cover.
View Quote

The HTP model -- I'll be using it on an SR-15 CQB (11.5) with a Rugged Surge in K config and 223 end cap.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 10:35:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Well damn guess it's ColeTac now.  Stumbled across this thread about to order another brand.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 8:49:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The HTP model -- I'll be using it on an SR-15 CQB (11.5) with a Rugged Surge in K config and 223 end cap.
View Quote

How did it work during the course?
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 10:58:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I've got a Cole-Tac for my Trek-T.  Mostly so I can check if it's still tight.  Works good, but I'm generally not dumping mags.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 12:35:09 AM EDT
[#12]
I have one of the original TAB gear covers. Worked well for a couple of years but now it's starting to slip off. At least once every time at the range it goes flying down range.
In the market for a new one.
I'll probably go with the Armageddon cover myself
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 9:46:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
How did it work during the course?
View Quote

You guys are quick! Sorry to keep y'all on the edge of your seats.

The cover worked great for the course. I ran the can the whole time. Pat MacNamara, as with any reputable instructor, focused on accountability and value from every round fired. No spendex or "ballistic masturbation" involved. I'd say the highest rates of fire within a short period of time encountered during the course would be 20 rounds within about 30 seconds (5 standing, 5 kneeling, 5 sitting, 5 prone) with two sets of those within 5 minutes or so. We also did a number of sets of 5-5-5 with 5 shots, reload, 5 shots, reload 5 shots. That's probably 15 rounds within 20 seconds or so, and we did a couple sets of those in 5-10 minutes.

The cover shows signs of heat (discoloration on the inside of the heat liner) but no change in texture. The outer cover looks exactly like an identical outer cover that was not subjected to high heat yet. At its peak the cover got warm enough that it was uncomfortable to grab for more than a few seconds with bare hands. The metal buckles got VERY hot though and I quickly learned to pay attention to where they were before using my hand warmer (ambient temps were 40's and maybe low 50's).

There is no discoloration or residue on the can at all.

The cover stayed very secure in position and did not shift position on the can at all. Really, not one bit. I pulled the straps VERY tight (using the pliers on my leatherman) to secure it.

The Rugged Surge also stayed very secure -- thanks to the locking ring at the bottom I was very confident in the attachment and never found the can loose either day. I need to shift the cover forward a bit to access the locking ring (which I can do even with the straps tight) and of course wait for that sucker to cool down before removing the can for storage.

Obligatory gear pic

Discoloration inside cover (the black color is as-received, the heat shielding is white and Cole-Tac colors the ends black to blend better with can and cover)

Comparison with new cover (new is tall, short was on the Surge)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top