Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2016 1:59:26 PM EDT
Hey guys, I just got my barrel back from a gunsmith. It was a savage Mark II 22 LR with an 18" bull barrel.

I gave him the PDF printout of the silencerco spectre two barrel thread dimensions .. saying it should be around .4" deep. I didn't realize it until I got home but he made the threads like almost 1" deep.

I told him about this from the beginning so it's not really acceptable but he lives far away and I'm worried about him just messing it up again.

So what are my options? Can I use a spacer? Is it possible for him to fix it? If so how, can he cut down the barrel without messing up the threads?

I want to know ahead of time the right solution before I call him up.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 2:12:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Tell him to cut off .6", or buy you a new barrel
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 2:16:13 PM EDT
[#2]
1" deep? Is your gunsmith Stevie Wonder?

Refund in full, then ship it to ADCO.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 2:25:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

I think this would be the right solution. But at a minimum, send it to a competent shop accustomed to doing the work for suppressor use to have the barrel cut back and recrowned, and while they have it they really ought to check whether the threads are concentric with the bore, and even the correct diameter and pitch.

JPK
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 2:29:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

This. And that gun rally should have been cut to 16" anyway. You're not really gaining anything with those extra 2". Probably hurts more than it helps.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 2:29:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Can this be done without messing up threads?

Quoted:
Quoted:

I think this would be the right solution. But at a minimum, send it to a competent shop accustomed to doing the work for suppressor use to have the barrel cut back and recrowned, and while they have it they really ought to check whether the threads are concentric with the bore, and even the correct diameter and pitch.

JPK

FWIW I was able to screw on a 1/2 x 28 muzzle device so the threading should be correct but I don't know.

Quoted:
Quoted:

This. And that gun rally should have been cut to 16" anyway. You're not really gaining anything with those extra 2". Probably hurts more than it helps.

I actually wanted it 18" to keep it quieter and potentially less velocity.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 2:42:24 PM EDT
[#6]
If the gunsmith is that damn stupid, there is NO WAY I would trust the threads to actually be concentric to the bore.

Also, I'll second cutting it to 16" as there will be no difference in sound between 16" and 18".
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 2:48:15 PM EDT
[#7]
1" of threads?!  Woah.  That's terrible.  

I'd ask for a refund and send to ADCO as already suggested.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 2:56:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm thinking this is what I'll do. I have a feeling he's going to tell me he'll just cut it down .6" as opposed to a refund.

If I send to adco what's the gameplan? Will they chop it down .6" or will they have to cut the whole barrel down and rethread? if so how much is that?
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 3:10:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'm thinking this is what I'll do. I have a feeling he's going to tell me he'll just cut it down .6" as opposed to a refund.

If I send to adco what's the gameplan? Will they chop it down .6" or will they have to cut the whole barrel down and rethread? if so how much is that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I was ADCO, I'd start from scratch. Hence the reason I would suggest giving the original gunsmith a call and get a refund.
Also things like this are reason I pay for 99% of my stuff with my credit card. Merchant agreements are a wonderful thing
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 4:36:56 PM EDT
[#10]
ADCO.  You're welcome.  

Why anybody dicks around with their local bumpkin is beyond me.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 8:44:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ADCO or any other competent shop or smith will probably want to start over, I think, but if you want to try to keep the extra length then, as mentioned, you need to have concentricity confirmed, and adherence to the SiCo drawings confirmed too.

Can't help on pricing.

JPK
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 9:09:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
ADCO.  You're welcome.  

View Quote

The guys at ADCO are good at what they do, but your statement about local gunsmiths is a bit misguided.   Sure, some "smiths" are idiots and have no idea how to properly thread a barrel for suppressors.   I have two shops within an hour drive of my home that are highly competent and understand the intricate nature of barrel threading.    They do excellent work and I have zero complaints after having multiple hosts threaded by them.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 10:03:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Factory 10/22 barrels are threaded way too deep also.

I just spun on a 1/2-28 thread protector from my 22/45 and it worked perfectly.

Obviously not the "correct" fix... but a temporary one that will work in a pinch.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 10:18:38 PM EDT
[#14]
In addition to ADCO, Morgan at Class III machining is excellent
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 10:36:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 11:24:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Morgan at Class 3 Machining or Adco can fix you up. I would cut it back to 16" as you aren't gaining anything but length at 18". Use CCI Standard Velocity or Gemtech subs for quiet shooting. Supers will all sound the same - kind of loud.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 11:30:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Obviously not the "correct" fix... but a temporary one that will work in a pinch.
View Quote

Current Ruger barrels are threaded .4" long. My 50th Design Contest 10/22 from 2014 is threaded correctly as well as both American Rimfires and one other 10/22 I've purchased since then. I think they updated the threads to rimfire spec when they decided to get into the rimfire suppressor market.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 12:28:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Current Ruger barrels are threaded .4" long. My 50th Design Contest 10/22 from 2014 is threaded correctly as well as both American Rimfires and one other 10/22 I've purchased since then. I think they updated the threads to rimfire spec when they decided to get into the rimfire suppressor market.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmm, my threaded 16" 10/22 bought less than a year ago has the too long threads and needs a spacer.

The spacer I use is maybe 1/4"

IMO, the biggest problem the OP faces is that a gunsmith who screws up the length so badly shouldn't be trusted to have gotten the concentricity right either. I would just suck to fire the first round and damage your suppressor with an end cap or baffle strike or worse.

JPK
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 8:55:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can remedy the problem for $8.85. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015X8P710/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 9:42:54 AM EDT
[#20]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can remedy the problem for $8.85. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015X8P710/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If that's 5/8" long and his threads are 1" how does that fix it?
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 10:07:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The guys at ADCO are good at what they do, but your statement about local gunsmiths is a bit misguided.   Sure, some "smiths" are idiots and have no idea how to properly thread a barrel for suppressors.   I have two shops within an hour drive of my home that are highly competent and understand the intricate nature of barrel threading.    They do excellent work and I have zero complaints after having multiple hosts threaded by them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
ADCO.  You're welcome.  

That's good for you.  You've obviously taken the chance at one point to trust your local bumpkins and they've served you well.  But, I'm not gonna recommend others take the same chance and wind up like old OP here.  I've had good and bad experiences going local.  There are some good ones out there, but, good luck finding them.  They seem to  be very few and far between.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 10:48:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 10:54:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Jeez.. A lot of WTF in this thread about a minor thread issue. Just have them trim it and re crown. Done.
Unless there is a concentricity issue there is no big issue. It is a hunk of steel with threads. Not Rocket science.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 12:36:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 12:49:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Jeez.. A lot of WTF in this thread about a minor thread issue. Just have them trim it and re crown. Done.
Unless there is a concentricity issue there is no big issue. It is a hunk of steel with threads. Not Rocket science.
View Quote

It's basic reading comprehension on behalf of the smith
OP paid for a job and it was done wrong.
Non-concentric threads lead to baffle strikes and such
I'm no expert but does ANY gun or specs call for 1" long threads?
I don't view this as a minor issue but ymmv
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 12:51:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Hmm, my threaded 16" 10/22 bought less than a year ago has the too long threads and needs a spacer.
JPK
View Quote

That's odd, what model was it? I'll bet it is a factory flash hider model. I've checked over a dozen at the local shop and we haven't seen a long thread in several years. Ruger never ceases to amaze me. My Mini 30 was threaded with a tapered shoulder so it pushed the muzzle brake crooked. Morgan at Class 3 Machining was able to cut the shoulder square and verify Ruger's thread job was concentric, all is well now thanks to a competent machinist.

OP - I wouldn't take anything back to your gunsmith for machine work. There is a difference in a gunsmith and a gun machinist, although some can do both types of skills successfully.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 2:35:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Did you want straight threading or silencerco's specs for use with their O ring designs?  If the latter, you really need to send it off to a place that is experienced with doing that but be prepared to pay more. If it were me, I'd get a refund from your smith and then send it to adco for the $30 crowning. That's a good price for their level of service. There are other very good barrel smiths besides adco but they will likely charge more to fix a screw up.

Also, silencerco's specs for their o ring designs are longer than .400" from crown to shoulder. I'm going off a foggy memory but it's something like .43". Just fyi in case you get it done and think it's still off.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 5:18:23 PM EDT
[#28]
OP, I'll make you a spacer that threads on, with squared & recessed faces, is 0.6" long tonight if you'd like.  Aluminum would be faster for me if you don't care, but I can also do stainless (I think I have spare material available).

If you give me your barrel outside diameter at the muzzle, I'll match it for you as well.

These are really simple operations, including threading the muzzle...  It's amazing how many people screw these things up!
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 6:28:44 PM EDT
[#29]
RipGear,

Yes it is the black stock 16" threaded barrel model with the factory flash hider.

I agree about the OP not sending his rifle back to the guy who can't be much of a gunsmith. One strike of the nature of his fu and he's out as I see it.

JPK
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 6:41:56 PM EDT
[#30]
I just measured the threads on my factory 10/22 barrel and they are exactly .700".

That's no bullshit.

The rifle was bought brand new less than a year ago.
I just used a thread protector off my 22/45 to use as a spacer. It worked just fine.

I eventually upgraded to a better barrel with the correct threads.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 6:47:31 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

In addition to ADCO, Morgan at Class III machining is excellent
View Quote

This.  He did a great job on my Ruger bolt gun.  Great price too.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 6:50:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Here ya go...

Straight from Ruger this way:

Link Posted: 11/29/2016 9:00:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Here ya go...

View Quote

I bought a jam nut of the right thickness and keep it permanently installed. Sucks, but that's the way it goes.  I understand that new 10/22 barrels are coming with .400" threads, but I have not seen one in person.  For the record, you can use one jam nut and the appropriate shims to adjust it.  Most jam nuts are .200", so .100" in shims would be in order.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 12:07:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Here ya go...

View Quote

Looks like Ruger has had a relapse on thier 10/22 flash hider barrels. It seems crazy to me as they are doing more work than necessary which adds up to eating into thier profit margin.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 6:05:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Do you mind naming those shops and locations?
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 7:31:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not at all.

Red Oak Gunsmithing in Onaway.   Eric knows his stuff and does good work.

Great Guns in Traverse City.   Dave does nice work, and he also deals in Class III stuff.    

Both guys run tight ships and do quality work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top