User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2016 2:37:08 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 8:24:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
What's out there now?
View Quote

Silco hybrid, bowers, lane, Wilson, coastal. That's all I'm aware of.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 8:36:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a Hybrid and like it, I use it on my 458 & 300 blk. Shoots heavy 458s silly quiet.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 10:39:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Lane Scorpion 458.

I have the 5.56 version in full Titanium.    Nice can from a lesser known manufacturer.   Cory is a pleasure to deal with by phone or email.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 10:45:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lane Scorpion 458.

I have the 5.56 version in full Titanium.    Nice can from a lesser known manufacturer.   Cory is a pleasure to deal with by phone or email.
View Quote

There are several reports of destabilization/baffle strikes on 458socomforums with Lane suppressors.  From what I remember, baffle asymmetry and bore too tight were some issues.  I believe cory is still working to resolve, but I'd steer clear for now.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 9:41:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Good to know!   He does rate the Scorpion 5.56 for all 6mm cartridges, and I agree the bore is too tight for the larger projectile.     I've fired several hundred rounds of .223 from my 10.5" SBR with zero problems.

My .243 is too close for comfort to attempt.   Exit aperature is .280" which leaves very little wiggle room for a .243" diameter bullet to pass.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:31:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Do you already have a 458SOCOM?  If so, what thread pitch your barrel has may limit your choices, as well as barrel length.  Mine is threaded 3/4x28, and so far I've only found that Bowers make a mount in that thread pitch.  It's also an 11.5" SBR, which "officially" rules out the SiCo Hybrid (16" minimum on 458SOCOM, but can't mount it anyway, so a moot point.)
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 2:11:10 AM EDT
[#7]
I've got a Bowers VERS 50 can on my 10.5" 458. It's a bit long but it gets the job done
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 1:57:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 2:07:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

10.5" and off the top of my head I don't know the thread pitch
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do you already have a 458SOCOM?  If so, what thread pitch your barrel has may limit your choices, as well as barrel length.  Mine is threaded 3/4x28, and so far I've only found that Bowers make a mount in that thread pitch.  It's also an 11.5" SBR, which "officially" rules out the SiCo Hybrid (16" minimum on 458SOCOM, but can't mount it anyway, so a moot point.)

So that would rule out the SiCo Hybrid, although there are a few people running it on sub-16" barrels with no ill effects reported so far.  But SiCo says the minimum is 16", so you would be taking a risk using it on a 10.5" barrel, especially with supersonic ammo.  It would probably be OK with subsonic stuff though, but again, not officially.

So, can your afford to potentially damage the suppressor (replacement, repair, tax stamp, etc.)?  Given that the Bowers options are cheaper than the Hybrid, I would look to those over the Hybrid for your setup.  They are longer and heavier, but more durable.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 2:28:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

So that would rule out the SiCo Hybrid, although there are a few people running it on sub-16" barrels with no ill effects reported so far.  But SiCo says the minimum is 16", so you would be taking a risk using it on a 10.5" barrel, especially with supersonic ammo.  It would probably be OK with subsonic stuff though, but again, not officially.

So, can your afford to potentially damage the suppressor (replacement, repair, tax stamp, etc.)?  Given that the Bowers options are cheaper than the Hybrid, I would look to those over the Hybrid for your setup.  They are longer and heavier, but more durable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bowers are not necessarily cheaper.  I'm seeing $825 at silencershop for the vers458 and $729 at grabagun for the hybrid.

Can you back up the "more durable" comment?  I'm not seeing any barrel length ratings on Bowers website at all.  So can you confirm that they are, indeed, rated for sbr use?

Full disclosure:  I purchased a Hybrid and use it regularly on a 11.5" barrel with supers and subs.  The bowers can looks like a decent option, however it is very large and heavy.  

http://www.silencershop.com/silencers/large-bore/bowers-vers-458.html

https://grabagun.com/silencerco-69.html

http://www.bowersgroup.com/product/vers-458/
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 6:36:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Bowers are not necessarily cheaper.  I'm seeing $825 at silencershop for the vers458 and $729 at grabagun for the hybrid.

Can you back up the "more durable" comment?  I'm not seeing any barrel length ratings on Bowers website at all.  So can you confirm that they are, indeed, rated for sbr use?

Full disclosure:  I purchased a Hybrid and use it regularly on a 11.5" barrel with supers and subs.  The bowers can looks like a decent option, however it is very large and heavy.  

http://www.silencershop.com/silencers/large-bore/bowers-vers-458.html

https://grabagun.com/silencerco-69.html

http://www.bowersgroup.com/product/vers-458/
View Quote

Wow, hadn't seen a Hybrid that cheap before.

As for the durability claim, I thought I had that information in an email from Bowers, but I can't find it now.  I've contacted them again to see what they say about any barrel length restrictions.  I guess it was more of unqualified comment based on the VERS 458 being specifically made to handle 458SOCOM.

Another option is the Liberty Cosmic, although the disclaimer from Liberty is that it isn't hearing safe when used on 458S or 450BM.  Nor can I find any barrel length restrictions posted on their website.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:07:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I keep being tempted to ask Bowers if he's ever tried a .45 or .458 can on the shorter VERS-9S tube, and what kind of difference in performance it would cause.  I know in 9mm I don't get any discernable difference (CAC-45 with VERS-458 baffle stack vs. VERS-9S).  

But then shooting .45 through the .45 can does make more noise than shooting 9mm or .40 through the same can.

Biggest reason I haven't asked is because I don't really have a good use for it.  I bought the CAC-45 back in 2000 to use on the MAC10.  The MAC has since been sold, but I've still got the can.  It's now the "do-all" can for anything from full-auto .22LR to supersonic .44 Mag.  I keep thinking I need to get a .45-70 or .458 SOCOM to put it on.  I just haven't yet.  

Here's the two lengths, for compairson:

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:10:14 PM EDT
[#13]
I have the Hybrid, the Vers 458 and the Vers 50.  The Vers 458 sounds better than the other two, to my ears, with 458 SOCOM and 450 Bushmaster.  I am finishing up a build in 45 Raptor, so that will be next.  The only reason to buy the Vers 50 would be to mount it on a 50 Beowulf, which is what I bought it for.  If you wanted that versatility, you can get the up graded stainless baffles on the Vers 50 for $150 more.  The Bowers models don't feature a QD system like the ASR mounts for the Hybrid, and though there are many thread inserts for them, I don't think there is a piston system for use on a pistol, like there is for the Hybrid.

As for ratings, the only thing I have seen is that the Vers 458 is rated to a 45 caliber at 2650 fps and the Vers 50 is rated to 2200 fps, upgradable to 2650 fps. I don't know that Bowers has a barrel length limit.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:41:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Heard back from Bowers, no barrel length restrictions.

Hi Scott,

Bowers Group doesn't impose a barrel length restriction on the Vers 458.
Obviously longer will the quieter but we have folks using various barrel lengths with our silencers. As long as the bullet is stable with the barrel length being used, it fits through the bore and is appropriate for the rating of the can then it's good to go. The rating for the Vers 458 is
2650 FPS. (At this time all of our Vers series of silencers are all full auto rated, regardless of the barrel length as long as the above criteria is met).

I hope this helps, if your customers have any further questions please don't hesitate to email or phone.

Thanks!

Dorothy

Dorothy E. Conway
Bowers Group LLC
PO Box 430
Cornelius OR 97113
503-992-8697
[email protected]
www.bowersgroup.com
Like us on Facebook! www.facebook.com/bowersgroup
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:52:19 PM EDT
[#15]
A couple weeks back, a "Deal" was posted in the appropriate thread for a BOGO with the Hybrid and another lesser can.  I ordered my Hybrid for $732 and get a "free" Rebel 22 SS can, too. Sometime next year I'll get to bring it home.  

Rob
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:56:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
A couple weeks back, a "Deal" was posted in the appropriate thread for a BOGO with the Hybrid and another lesser can.  I ordered my Hybrid for $732 and get a "free" Rebel 22 SS can, too. Sometime next year I'll get to bring it home.  

Rob
View Quote

What sucks about the "free" can is that is still costs you a minimum of $200!  NFA Tax is such BS......
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 11:43:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Yeah, but I think I'm going to have a buddy actually buy it, or maybe trade it to the dealer to cover my transfer costs and use tax.

Rob
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 6:03:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have the Hybrid, the Vers 458 and the Vers 50.  The Vers 458 sounds better than the other two, to my ears, with 458 SOCOM and 450 Bushmaster.
View Quote

I'm on the fence about a 458 SOCOM, and if I build one, it's going to be a 10.5-12.5" SBR and suppressed.  For the folks that run a Hybrid with a SBR barrel in 458, any issues with the off-book combination?  

As between the Hybrid and the Vers 458, how does the added weight affect the 'feel' of the rifle?  What length barrel?
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 7:43:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'm on the fence about a 458 SOCOM, and if I build one, it's going to be a 10.5-12.5" SBR and suppressed.  For the folks that run a Hybrid with a SBR barrel in 458, any issues with the off-book combination?  

As between the Hybrid and the Vers 458, how does the added weight affect the 'feel' of the rifle?  What length barrel?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have the Hybrid, the Vers 458 and the Vers 50.  The Vers 458 sounds better than the other two, to my ears, with 458 SOCOM and 450 Bushmaster.

No issues here on an 11.5" with supers or subs. Send me an email if you want to see/hear the combo for yourself.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 10:34:19 AM EDT
[#20]
I've got a call in to Liberty to ask about the barrel length restrictions on the Cosmic 45 suppressor.  I don't necessarily need hearing safe.  I'd be using it for pigs at night, and weight is the priority.  I have a Liberty Mystic 9mm and Liberty offers an upgrade to change the old core to the new, 2.5 ounces lighter Cosmic core in 45 that is listed as OK for 458.  The 45 can that I do have is a Griffin Revo and they just told me NO when I asked about the 458.  .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top