Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2016 6:03:05 PM EDT
Will be taking my boys on a trip to visit grand dad in Pennsylvania in a couple of weeks.

My understanding is that as long as the gun, ammo and can is stored and locked seperately, shouldn't have a problem driving up to Pa with a Savage .22 rifle along with a specter, but I'm wondering about taking it to the old range I use to go when I was a boy.  What do I need to be aware of per legalities of being out of state with the can?

While I'm up there, have a crapload of Cabela's points I need to use, and since I'll be by a Cabela's, figure I might as well pick up a sonic cleaner (save on freight LOL) for the cans that have stainless steel internals that can be cleaned going that route.  Looking for suggestions.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 7:28:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
My understanding is that as long as the gun, ammo and can is stored and locked seperately, shouldn't have a problem driving up to Pa with a Savage .22 rifle along with a specter, but I'm wondering about taking it to the old range I use to go when I was a boy.  What do I need to be aware of per legalities of being out of state with the can?
View Quote

If all you're transporting is a can in addition to a regular rifle then nothing special. Cans don't require a 5320.20 permission slip.

Depending where you're going in PA (I grew up in the KoP area and live near Charlotte now) you'll have to pass through Maryland which has a reputation for hassling out of state firearms owners. I'd take 81 over 95 even if I was heading for Philly. Legal minimum is simply unloaded and in the trunk or if no trunk then locked in a case in the luggage area that is as inaccessible as possible. Separating everything out once in there is icing on the cake.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/926A

Quoted:
While I'm up there, have a crapload of Cabela's points I need to use, and since I'll be by a Cabela's, figure I might as well pick up a sonic cleaner (save on freight LOL) for the cans that have stainless steel internals that can be cleaned going that route.  Looking for suggestions.
View Quote

I wet tumble my brass for reloading, so I plan to wet tumble my baffles as well. That doesn't work great for some other firearm parts though so I'm in for the recommendations.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 11:48:41 AM EDT
[#2]
The stainless steel pin tumblers seem to be the best choice for cleaning baffles and brass.
Don't have either one, so can't comment more; but, my next cleaner will be a pin tumbler.
Cabela's has some.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 3:18:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I know all about Maryland (takes me 1/2 hour to unload and load everything back up driving 15 mintues through the dang state on 81).  Since VA changed who they reconize per CC permits and I don't have a VA out of state permit, will probably drive all the way up to Pa with everything locked up (I'm about 20 minutes from I-77 and then only about 15 minutes from the VA state line).  I agree with you 100% about I-95, and luckily for me, about 8 hours of the drive is all on I-81.

I'm assuming there is no issue driving from my dads house to use the can at the old strippin hole that we call a gun range?

Minshooter, thanks for the tip.  

Link Posted: 10/16/2016 5:17:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm assuming there is no issue driving from my dads house to use the can at the old strippin hole that we call a gun range?
View Quote

Can't see why not, assuming both are in PA. I wasn't into NFA back when I lived there but I think the state is generally pretty permissive. Stay out of Filthadelphia and to a lesser extent Allegheny county (never lived near there, so I don't know too much about it, except that I think I remember that PA state pre-emption doesn't apply there so I'd want to check out the laws if I was going). PA is an oasis of reason compared to most of the surrounding states. Have fun.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 10:12:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Since VA changed who they reconize per CC permits and I don't have a VA out of state permit, will probably drive all the way up to Pa with everything locked up

View Quote

As of July 1st of 2016, Virginia Honors all other states permit/licenses.

Handgunlaw.us - Virginia

Bob S.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:40:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I know all about Maryland (takes me 1/2 hour to unload and load everything back up driving 15 mintues through the dang state on 81).  Since VA changed who they reconize per CC permits and I don't have a VA out of state permit, will probably drive all the way up to Pa with everything locked up (I'm about 20 minutes from I-77 and then only about 15 minutes from the VA state line).  I agree with you 100% about I-95, and luckily for me, about 8 hours of the drive is all on I-81.

View Quote

Heading to the Coal Region?
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:16:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Handgunlaw.us - Virginia

Bob S.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Since VA changed who they reconize per CC permits and I don't have a VA out of state permit, will probably drive all the way up to Pa with everything locked up

Handgunlaw.us - Virginia

Bob S.

Dang, what made the state change their minds?  I was a little peeved at Va for doing something like that in the first place and had no clue that they reversed their decision per NC.  I was out of state for work with a co-worker and I showed him this and he didn't realize it as well.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:22:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.  I can still remember when the 4th generation Yuengling (Sr. who has since died) told me to my face that he would NEVER make a watered down light beer LOL  Besides that, prefer Straub anyways.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:17:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Dang, what made the state change their minds?  I was a little peeved at Va for doing something like that in the first place and had no clue that they reversed their decision per NC.  I was out of state for work with a co-worker and I showed him this and he didn't realize it as well.
View Quote

The VA. Attorney General tried to push his anti-gun agenda - there was a massive push back! Even our anti-freedom Governor realized the backlash would be severe.

So a "compromise" was reached - we (VA) gave reciprocity to all states, so we got all of our original reciprocity deals back, and even added one or two.  On the other side, the state would take guns away from anyone who was under a two-year protective order for domestic-violence offenses. And State Police would have to attend all gun shows to provide background checks for private sellers if they requested the service (private sales are not required to do this, it on a volunteer basis. at the first show after this they did 3, I think the numbers have gone down after that).

Take care,
Bob S.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:30:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If all you're transporting is a can in addition to a regular rifle then nothing special. Cans don't require a 5320.20 permission slip.

Depending where you're going in PA (I grew up in the KoP area and live near Charlotte now) you'll have to pass through Maryland which has a reputation for hassling out of state firearms owners. I'd take 81 over 95 even if I was heading for Philly. Legal minimum is simply unloaded and in the trunk or if no trunk then locked in a case in the luggage area that is as inaccessible as possible. Separating everything out once in there is icing on the cake.

I wet tumble my brass for reloading, so I plan to wet tumble my baffles as well. That doesn't work great for some other firearm parts though so I'm in for the recommendations.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I started with the dip for baffle cleaning. Then my recycling center would no longer take it, and had to drive halfway into Detroit to drop it off ($ incurred per container) at a haz mat facility. Purchased a $300.00 ultrasonic cleaner. Works great at cleaning a lot of things, but only ok at cleaning baffles. Went back to the dip, realized how much of a pita it was. Purchased a pin tumbler -cheap harbor freight model, for testing-. Stop waisting money and time, get the pin tumbler!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top