Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2016 2:50:36 PM EDT
Am I still responsible for getting the signature of my police chief in my local area?

Am I still going to have to get a mugshot of myself for the paperwork?  

How much automation does Silencer Shop's Form 4 Tax Stamp (added to my cart) add to the process?
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 2:57:13 PM EDT
[#1]
You might be better of asking in their industry forum.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_2/486_Silencer_Shop.html

Link Posted: 10/15/2016 4:40:47 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Am I still responsible for getting the signature of my police chief in my local area?

How much automation does Silencer Shop's Form 4 Tax Stamp (added to my cart) add to the process?
View Quote

If you are using their kiosk, fingerprints are done there but, I think you still need to go to the local drugstore for 2 passport photos.  CLEO signoffs ended with 41F for people like myself (non-trust Form 4's).

For me the real pain in the a$$ is driving ~90 minutes each way to get a set of fingerprints.    After doing up to 30 sets a year for myself (16 at one time once), I can roll my own as good or better than most of the know-it-all idiots at the commercial "security" shops.

Link Posted: 10/15/2016 5:59:40 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
  If you are using their kiosk, fingerprints are done there but, I think you still need to go to the local drugstore for 2 passport photos.  CLEO signoffs ended with 41F for people like myself (non-trust Form 4's).
For me the real pain in the a$$ is driving ~90 minutes each way to get a set of fingerprints.    After doing up to 30 sets a year for myself (16 at one time once), I can roll my own as good or better than most of the know-it-all idiots at the commercial "security" shops.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope. They have an app that you can download to your phone and take your own pictures. It uploads them to their system and from there you should be GTG.

That said, the fingerprint kiosk is only slightly more convenient than going to the police station. It is a PITFA trying to take your own prints with that thing, but, on the upside they are good for two years, so if you want to buy another silencer then you don't need to get reprinted...as I understand it.

Also, as for CLEO signoff, it seems to be my understanding that 41P changed that. Now they dealer has to send a notification to the CLEO that you're trying to buy something. They have some amount of time to respond and contest/reject the transfer. However, it is also my understanding (limited or incorrect as it may be) that IF they reject it, then they have to specify a reason for rejecting it. They can't just be anti-gun and fuck you any more, they have to give a reason. At least that's how it was explained to me here.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 7:14:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Cleo can't deny or contest your transfer, only the ATF can do that. I just made my first 41f purchase last week, I download the ID photoprint app on my iPhone to take a passport style photo. I did my prints on an electric scanner a few months back at Capitol Armory when I was there getting lowers engraved.

It really was a painless experience in my opinion, now if you have multiple people on your trust it would be more involved.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 7:29:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Nope. They have an app that you can download to your phone and take your own pictures. It uploads them to their system and from there you should be GTG.

That said, the fingerprint kiosk is only slightly more convenient than going to the police station. It is a PITFA trying to take your own prints with that thing, but, on the upside they are good for two years, so if you want to buy another silencer then you don't need to get reprinted...as I understand it.

Also, as for CLEO signoff, it seems to be my understanding that 41P changed that. Now they dealer has to send a notification to the CLEO that you're trying to buy something. They have some amount of time to respond and contest/reject the transfer. However, it is also my understanding (limited or incorrect as it may be) that IF they reject it, then they have to specify a reason for rejecting it. They can't just be anti-gun and fuck you any more, they have to give a reason. At least that's how it was explained to me here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sign off is no longer required.

I used the kiosk a few weeks ago. Didn't have any issues at all and accepted every print on the first try.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 1:15:30 AM EDT
[#6]
<---Powered By Dealer

Quoted:
No, CLEO signoff is no longer required. Now its notification. Your state police will get a copy of the Form 4.

Yes, and SS has an app that lets you do that with your cellphone.

"Automation"? Your Form 4 won't be processed until you pay for it.
View Quote

Quoted:
If you are using their kiosk, fingerprints are done there but, I think you still need to go to the local drugstore for 2 passport photos.  
Silencer Shop has a passport selfie app for iPhone and Android.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/16/2016 2:24:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Good Info in this thread.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 8:14:09 AM EDT
[#8]
First thing you need to do is decide if you are using a "Powered By" dealer or not.

If you are not using a "Powered By" dealer, then there is no need to add the tax stamp as Silencer Shop will just Form 3 the silencer to your local dealer.

If you are using a "Powered By" dealer, then Silencer Shop handles the Form 4 in addition to the Form 3 and pretty much what everybody has said above.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 2:00:09 PM EDT
[#9]
I've got 2 cans, and I thought I was done because I just didn't want to be hassled with all of the extra steps and signoffs, but I really have no excuse not to get an RC2 now.. damn.

Last question here - with the powered by dealer and going that route with silencer shop.. what are the wait times?  Does it get filed with the electronic system that the ATF had meaning faster / less wait time?  I'm in CT / New England .. curious what my wait time would be to from going through the hoops to 'taking delivery'.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 2:11:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Form 4s are around 7 months and climbing.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 2:14:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
First thing you need to do is decide if you are using a "Powered By" dealer or not.

If you are not using a "Powered By" dealer, then there is no need to add the tax stamp as Silencer Shop will just Form 3 the silencer to your local dealer.

If you are using a "Powered By" dealer, then Silencer Shop handles the Form 4 in addition to the Form 3 and pretty much what everybody has said above.
View Quote

most of this is correct. But you can no longer buy a silencer from Silencer Shop and just "have it sent to your local dealer". They have to be an in network dealer- either Powered By (SS does the F4) or Buy It Local (Local FFL does the F4).
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 9:21:41 PM EDT
[#12]
So what do you do for multiple people on the trust? (using the Silencershop app that is, since you need multiple fingerprints/photos?)

Link Posted: 10/16/2016 9:52:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Why even bother with a trust anymore, I'll probably just do an individual form from now on.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 10:13:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Why even bother with a trust anymore, I'll probably just do an individual form from now on.
View Quote

I have seriously thought about it....lol.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 10:36:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Submit as a trust with one responsible person and add more trustees afterwards.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 10:49:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because a trust allows multiple people to use your NFA firearm without you being there for starters.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 5:38:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Anyone know the answer to my question?
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 6:53:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
So what do you do for multiple people on the trust? (using the Silencershop app that is, since you need multiple fingerprints/photos?)

View Quote

As I understand,
Each person in the trust must submit the photo/prints. I have not purchased anything since 41f, so I haven't used the app. No idea how many peoples info you can upload.

You can also remove everyone but yourself submit and add them later without the need to submit anything.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 9:32:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 5:32:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 5:51:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That is correct. It is linked by your email. So when the grantor puts in the Responsible Person if they use a different email form what the RP is using then it will not link.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anyone know the answer to my question?

Everybody has their own login. I haven't used it, but I believe SS explained it before. You can go register, list everybody who is an RP (along with their email address) and it sends them all a QR code to scan at the kiosk to get setup (and so everybody is linked to your trust).

That is correct. It is linked by your email. So when the grantor puts in the Responsible Person if they use a different email form what the RP is using then it will not link.

And if a couple of the RP's already have accounts with SS, how do we then go and list the other RP's under our account?
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 5:54:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 7:52:22 PM EDT
[#23]
So I can edit this on silencershops website? Or is it when you go to use the kiosk?
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 11:19:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 3:21:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You can do it online are you buy a silencer or at the kiosk. Once they are in the system you can remove them by giving us a call.
View Quote

Now only if my local SS dealer had a kiosk
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 11:11:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 2:31:41 PM EDT
[#27]
VIP3R,
Chambered USA in Goodyear has a kiosk.

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 5:35:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
VIP3R, Chambered USA in Goodyear has a kiosk.

View Quote

Unfortunately, that's about 3 hours away...nor am I dragging my other two trustees that far
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top