Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2016 5:58:55 PM EDT
A couple months ago my son was shooting the SCAR 17 with the Saker on the Trifecta brake. Everything was fine until about half way through the 3rd mag when all of a sudden we both noticed a much louder bang. I was shooting at the bench next to him and saw the Saker was gone. Holy carp, what the hell happened. He didn't notice. We walk down the range and found it in the grass just short of the 50 yard line.

Look it over real good and see no real damage except for a little nick in the end cap hole, thank goodness. I thought maybe it worked loose or the little tabs weren't fully engaged. We quit using it for the day.

Fast forward to today, I thought I'm going to check this out and make sure it would work. Get all set up, put the can on the SCAR being sure to fully engage the little tabs. First shot and I see the can flying down range again. I guess the MAAD mount and Trifecta brake are having a problem.

Planning on contacting Silencerco next week. Anyone have any experience with something similar to this? Google shows that this has happened to others.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 6:02:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 6:25:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Same scenario as you except with a SPECWAR 762. Shot off the first time and I figured I didn't lock down ASR enough.  Second time I made sure it was tight and second round sent can down range and blew out blast baffle and end cap. I wasn't very happy at the time but after the way I was treated by SilencerCo I'm a customer for life and have purchased more cans.  Very pleased with their service.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 7:29:41 PM EDT
[#3]
So what was root cause for all these failures?  Locking tabs on the MAAD retracted?  Locking ring on the ASR backing off?
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 8:49:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So what was root cause for all these failures?  Locking tabs on the MAAD retracted?  Locking ring on the ASR backing off?
View Quote

idk for sure, haven't  examined the suppressor closely yet but I did notice it looks like at 3 points on the trifecta brake you can see the metal edge seems to be peened over a little. Frankly it looks like there really isn't enough of a ledge on these brakes to securely hold the mount.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 8:54:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I've had it happen on my Saker 556 with Trifecta flashider.  Notched out the end cap and did something to the maad mount where it didn't lock up positively anymore.  Silencerco sent me a new MAAD mount and end cap within a week no questions asked.  

Link Posted: 9/30/2016 9:09:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Most of the time they swap out the adapter and all muzzle devices to the ASR platform at no charge to the end user.
View Quote

what he said
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 9:41:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Dude, that sucks!  I'm sure Sico will take care of you.  The more I see the happier I am that I went ASR for my Saker 762.  Works great on my Omega as well.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 9:53:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Is this a common problem?
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 10:12:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

No it's not.

Remember you only here about the negative feedback of a product not the positive.

Op shit happens and that sucks. Did you change the FH/MB on the scar from last time it happened?  I had a mount that fit funny on my MAAD mount. Never used it but it locked up weird.

Get the ASR if your worried about this. It's lighter in weight too.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 10:57:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I often wonder this.
I've shot a lot with my Saker K and have had nary an issue.

........I think it's a user error.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 11:32:43 PM EDT
[#11]
The Saker can appear to be on correctly without actually being fully engaged. I turn my Saker counter clockwise until i feel it drop down on to the muzzle device, then I will turn it clockwise to lock it on the muzzle device.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 11:50:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

No it's not.

Remember you only here about the negative feedback of a product not the positive.

Op shit happens and that sucks. Did you change the FH/MB on the scar from last time it happened?  I had a mount that fit funny on my MAAD mount. Never used it but it locked up weird.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No it's not.

I shot my Saker K off. Its common enough that SiCo is standardizing on ASR mounting.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 3:32:37 AM EDT
[#13]
I just called them today and will be swapping my mounts to ASR, one for one swaps. My 7.62 Saker keeps wanting to loosen and back off the mount. Only because I'm paranoid and constantly check the tightness, I haven't sent a can downrange (yet). Knock on wood.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 8:44:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I shot my Saker K off. Its common enough that SiCo is standardizing on ASR mounting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No it's not.

Standardizing?

They still ship with the MAAD mount and if I was to buy another Saker I would still get the MAAD mount.

Just because a few had issues doesn't mean it's a bad design. I have 3 MAAD mounts and about 7 mounts zero issues other than its hard to take off sometimes but a hard blow to the mount and it comes right off.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 10:08:49 AM EDT
[#15]
I use MAAD mount on my Saker 762 and Saker 556 K. No issues.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 10:18:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Hm, well I got one in jail, not sure which mount its coming with, but I guess I'll be ultra diligent when mounting it. I own other cans, but I've never ever had a problem with them.

Also, so they come with the mount per silencerco, does that include the trifecta FH to mount it on?
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 10:36:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Saker 762 with a MAAD - No issues with multiple host.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 10:57:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Hm, well I got one in jail, not sure which mount its coming with, but I guess I'll be ultra diligent when mounting it. I own other cans, but I've never ever had a problem with them.

Also, so they come with the mount per silencerco, does that include the trifecta FH to mount it on?
View Quote

Yes
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 11:11:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Is there anything special when it comes to mounting the FH to the gun? Or is it just crank the A2 off and the trifecta on?
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 11:14:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Is there anything special when it comes to mounting the FH to the gun? Or is it just crank the A2 off and the trifecta on?
View Quote

I use a dab of Rocksett.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 4:25:30 PM EDT
[#21]
I must be doing something special then cause my saver 762 goes on 3 differs t guns and I've yet to have an issue.  Are ypu sure ur letting it fall into the notch before tightening it down
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 8:31:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I must be doing something special then cause my saver 762 goes on 3 differs t guns and I've yet to have an issue.  Are you* sure ur letting it fall into the notch before tightening it down
View Quote

One other question, when you tighten the can into the flash hider, are you holding the top half of the can or holding it closer to the mount?
Doing this can cause the mount to come loose. It will sound like it is ratcheting on but it's actually the MAAD mount backing off the can.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 8:43:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Did it on my 762 last year after having put a few hundred rounds through it. Had it on a .308 bolt gun when it happened, sounded like a potato gun and I got a face full of gas. It cart wheeled about 25yds and was perfectly fine. Called SiCo and they swapped all of my stuff over to ASR and I like it better personally.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 9:21:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Standardizing?

They still ship with the MAAD mount and if I was to buy another Saker I would still get the MAAD mount.

Just because a few had issues doesn't mean it's a bad design. I have 3 MAAD mounts and about 7 mounts zero issues other than its hard to take off sometimes but a hard blow to the mount and it comes right off.
View Quote

MAAD mount refers to any of the modular mounts that attach to the Saker. There's the Trifecta MAAD (the one the suppressor ships with), ASR MAAD, Y-mount MAAD, 51T MAAD, and direct thread MAAD.

It's great that your Trifecta MAAD works fine. I personally have been through three Trifecta MAAD mounts. I never launched my Saker, but it did get stuck, repeatedly, even if it wasn't shot. Sometimes it was the opposite; it wouldn't stay tight after a single shot. Silencerco has great support, and swapped out my Trifecta MAAD three times along with several muzzle devices to figure out the issue, without success. Eventually I asked to try the ASR MAAD, which they provided along with swapping a half dozen muzzle devices, and I've never had another issue.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 12:33:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

One other question, when you tighten the can into the flash hider, are you holding the top half of the can or holding it closer to the mount?
Doing this can cause the mount to come loose. It will sound like it is ratcheting on but it's actually the MAAD mount backing off the can.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I must be doing something special then cause my saver 762 goes on 3 differs t guns and I've yet to have an issue.  Are you* sure ur letting it fall into the notch before tightening it down

i honestly didnt know so i went and put it on my rifle.  i spin it on from the top till it seats on the flash hider, then when its seated i ratchet it on from the middle till it stops.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 8:14:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

i honestly didnt know so i went and put it on my rifle.  i spin it on from the top till it seats on the flash hider, then when its seated i ratchet it on from the middle till it stops.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmm.
One thing I have found is that if you accidentally hold the can in such a way that you are grabbing the suppressor body AND the MAAD mount, this could become a big problem.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top