BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/28/2016 8:11:17 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 8:18:28 PM EDT
[#1]
The only time I've shot a can on a pistol is last weekend. I found it awesome and I'm buying one soon. I guess actually living with one shows all aspects of having to deal with it. Still. I want one for the range and HD.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 8:24:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep pretty much the exact for me, plus I do not like the burnt powder to my face.
My 9mm cans are mostly used on my 9mm AR and Uzi.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 8:47:58 PM EDT
[#3]
It's the reason why I never purchased one in the first place.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 8:55:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't use my Octane 45 on pistols a whole heck of a lot but I wouldn't want to not have a good pistol can like that.  My carry gun is small and doesn't have a threaded barrel so no impact there.  For me, pistol cans are mostly for my PS90, SMG and fun shooting steel.  I was very tempted to buy an Obsidian before the rule change but decided not to since I rarely use the nice pistol can I already have.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 8:56:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Mine get shot more, my wife prefers shooting suppressed.

My carry guns are not suppressed, they are the only ones, everything else is suppressed.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 8:59:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I shoot more suppressed, more so now with my tirant 9s than my tirant 45. I prefer the size of the 9s and am ok with the dB sacrifice.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 9:53:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Absolutely. I've talked about it here before and been crucified by some idiot who said I was giving bad advice to newbies.

Suppress handguns kinda suck. Suppressed PCCs are awesome.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 9:55:06 PM EDT
[#8]
pistol cans are my least used cans
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 9:56:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I shoot mine alot, Gen4 Glock 17/Gemtech Tundra-SV
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 10:21:25 PM EDT
[#10]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

pistol cans are my least used cans
View Quote

I've got several pistol cans and I actually prefer to shoot without them.  Pretty much a novelty and it wore off quick.  I shoot 95% suppressed with rifles though.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 10:39:40 PM EDT
[#11]
For those reasons I never had any desire to own a pistol can in the first place.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 10:42:35 PM EDT
[#12]
suppressed handguns are stupid.

except .22 handguns.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 10:57:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

This x 1000

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 11:41:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It's the reason why I never purchased one in the first place.
View Quote

Same here.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 11:47:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Absolutely. I've talked about it here before and been crucified by some idiot who said I was giving bad advice to newbies.

View Quote

Only reason I bought one
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 11:48:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Damn...thanks for bursting my bubble. I've been waiting on my Obsidian since I purchased it in January. Now I'm not sure if it was the right choice. Definitely waiting before I buy my 9mm can as I only have pistols to use the Obsidian and yet to be purchased 9mm can.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 11:50:13 PM EDT
[#17]
I hardly ever use my can on my Glock, it pretty much lives on my MP5 clone.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 11:51:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 11:52:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Damn...thanks for bursting my bubble. I've been waiting on my Obsidian since I purchased it in January. Now I'm not sure if it was the right choice. Definitely waiting before I buy my 9mm can as I only have pistols to use the Obsidian and yet to be purchased 9mm can.
View Quote

The only solution is to spend your way out of this problem by buying an MP5.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 12:12:46 AM EDT
[#20]
I thoroughly enjoyed blasting 200rnds through my glock last weekend with a tirant 9 and osprey 45.

Admittedly, most was at 25 yds and after the first mag or two, I didn't even inspect the target for accuracy. It was just therapeutic to pull the trigger.
So maybe take my opinion with a grain of salt

On the other hand, a 22/45 with a .22 can? Fuck ya, 8 days a week.

I'm pending a few months into a CZ Scorpion so we'll see how well that whole experience is. I actually shot it for the first time Sunday. Pretty shitty as a pistol lol. I need trigger springs and a foregrip
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 12:28:24 AM EDT
[#21]
For recreational shooting or practice with a carry gun, I agree that I don't shoot handguns with a suppressor. I do, however, take new shooters and non-NFA friends out quite a bit, and I love bringing suppressed handguns out for them to shoot.

For me, my suppressed handguns aren't (primarily) for recreational shooting. They mostly serve the role of "pest removal" tool around the homestead.

But yeah, they are mostly used on my pistol caliber SBRs.

Link Posted: 9/29/2016 12:36:18 AM EDT
[#22]
I don't mainly because I can't get the 3-lug off the Octane.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 2:44:30 AM EDT
[#23]
I have 2 or 3 firearms that have a real purpose. The vast majority of my collection is for pure enjoyment. I consider suppressors pretty much the same. They are mostly just for enjoyment. I don't typically suppress my carry guns for the reasons you mentioned but rest I do or will. I like firearms, so I have more than a few. Same with cans. Right now I rarely shoot my Octane. I usually shoot with a friend or 2 and it is pointless when there is only one pistol can out there. When my other pistol cans get approved, that may change.

I guess my stance on pistol can use on a handgun is:
Shooting for practice/training= no can
Shooting for pleasure/fun= can
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 9:13:40 AM EDT
[#24]
I love shooting suppressed pistols. A large part of this is likely due to working in an indoor range for a number of years and shooting enough rounds unsuppressed to enjoy it a bit extra. I also use them for pest control around the cabin.

I shoot enough without a can to not consider the aid they provide in accuracy a hindrance. I actually shoot better at distance (30+ yards) without a can if I've been shooting more with one- basically a step up from rimfire or dryfire practice.

I get the issues with blowback. I've noticed it more with my g19, but it's minimal with our sigs or the mk23. Also, good reloads mitigate it for us as well.

Actually, I really just like shooting anything and as much as possible.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 10:05:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

pretty much what I did...

I have all these pistol cans and I think shooting then with my handguns is dumb.... didn't want them to go to waste, so I bought a mp5k when you bought your SD
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 10:13:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 10:15:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Happens to the best of us.  I don't normally shoot pistols as much as my rifles but I've found that shooting my octane 45 on my 9mm a lot of fun on subsonics at night when I hunt with IR goggles.  I have an IR laser mounted to my pistol and It's a lot of fun taking out raccoon and armadillo in pure darkness.   As far as range time,  I still do.  I like the sound they make and the what seems to be less recoil
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 10:21:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Suppressed pistols are one of the few things that I get excited about any more.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 10:50:29 AM EDT
[#29]

I feel the same way Capital Armory.

My pistol cans allow me,  my wife,  and visiting family members the ability to shoot handguns in the backyard without pissing off the neighbor's dog. Life is busy,  and I can't always get the wife to the range as much as I would like.  Firing an identical carry gun in the backyard is a huge plus. I have 2 drop leg holsters that work very well for range/pest control use (a LBT designed for my HK45CT, and a universal/modular Blackhawk that takes a pistol light and suppressor).

I'm 50/50 on using a suppressed handgun for HD. The added length takes away a handguns only advantage over an AR or shotgun.  I'm not opposed to it,  but holding a child in one arm,  and pistol in the other is easier when it's not suppressed.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 11:30:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I feel the same way Capital Armory.

My pistol cans allow me,  my wife,  and visiting family members the ability to shoot handguns in the backyard without pissing off the neighbor's dog. Life is busy,  and I can't always get the wife to the range as much as I would like.  Firing an identical carry gun in the backyard is a huge plus. I have 2 drop leg holsters that work very well for range/pest control use (a LBT designed for my HK45CT, and a universal/modular Blackhawk that takes a pistol light and suppressor).

I'm 50/50 on using a suppressed handgun for HD. The added length takes away a handguns only advantage over an AR or shotgun.  I'm not opposed to it,  but holding a child in one arm,  and pistol in the other is easier when it's not suppressed.
View Quote

That's where the omega 9k steps in....

Coincidentally that is one of the reasons I bought one.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 11:44:40 AM EDT
[#31]
I shoot my 19 suppressed more than not suppressed, but that goes for all of my guns, too. If I've got a suppressor for it, why not? I hate shooting unsuppressed now because it's so loud and I hate wearing double ear protection. I can shoot almost everything I've got with just my molded inner ear plugs, or no protection at all, if I'm shooting something subsonic.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 12:04:25 PM EDT
[#32]
I shoot everything 100% suppressed.

I shoot my 9mm subguns more often than my 9mm pistols, mainly because I find them to be more fun at the distances I shoot (that, and I have one 9mm can that is shared between all of them). I still love a suppressed pistol, though.

I have zero need to holster a suppressed pistol.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 12:09:16 PM EDT
[#33]
I get what your saying OP. Cans do make handguns unwieldy and muscle memory will be thrown off base. If a can is used both on a carry gun and range gun with can. It normally takes me several rounds or a mag to get m.m. back to where it should be. Maybe just shoot a few rounds without the can at the end of your range session?

Personally I've just shot with cans at the range from a static position so the lack of holster options doesn't affect me. There are some options your probably aware of though.

Some guns are naturally more fun to shoot suppressed than others. My G23 isn't that great either since glocks are "spitters". The gap between the frame and the slide allows blowback. 1911's and Bhp's to mention a couple of the many options don't have that problem. It also helps if the load is tailored for that particular gun. Haven't worked anything serious up for the 1911 yet since its still pretty loud suppressed anyway. But I've got a Bhp "practical" model with a bar-sto threaded barrel, & Octane 9. It's pretty darn quiet for a 9mm! My "pet" load, everyone should work up or down their own of course.

Bullseye 2.7gr, 147gr Fmj, cci primer, c.o.a.l. 1.165.

Series2 Shots:5
Min819 Max841
Avg825S-D8.8
ES 22

Series  Shot   Speed  
2  1  822 ft/s  
2  2  819 ft/s  
2  3  841 ft/s  
2  4  821 ft/s  
2  5  824 ft/s  

2.6grs was the minimum the gun would function with reliabily. I bumped it up to 2.7 for year round use. I don't have a PCC but enjoy my rifle can's more than the pistol ones also.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 1:16:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I've got a Bhp "practical" model with a bar-sto threaded barrel, & Octane 9. It's pretty darn quiet for a 9mm! My "pet" load, everyone should work up or down their own of course.

Min819 Max841
Avg825S-D8.8
ES 22

2.6grs was the minimum the gun would function with reliabily. I bumped it up to 2.7 for year round use. I don't have a PCC but enjoy my rifle can's more than the pistol ones also.
View Quote

This data is for your Hi-Power/P35, right?  
Assuming the Bar-Sto is a straight tube threaded 1/2-28 and indexes off the muzzle?
What are you using for taller sights?
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 2:48:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Assuming the Bar-Sto is a straight tube threaded 1/2-28 and indexes off the muzzle?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've got a Bhp "practical" model with a bar-sto threaded barrel, & Octane 9. It's pretty darn quiet for a 9mm! My "pet" load, everyone should work up or down their own of course.

Min819 Max841
Avg825S-D8.8
ES 22

Correct on both counts. I'm just sighting thru the can right now. I really like my old mepro sights too much to bother switching to suppressor sights. Its surprisingly easy to get good hits with practice One fun thing I like about this combo is wearing just electronic ear pro (Impact sports) when shooting with the can. You hear the quiet pop of the round followed by the clang of steel
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 4:18:06 PM EDT
[#36]
I shoot with my pistol suppressor hardly ever. But, not for the same reasons as you. I started off with a rifle suppressor that I use on all of my rifles. It works very, very well. It is .308 caliber QD AAC 240SD and it suppresses well enough that I can use my rifles without earmuffs and I have found that the supersonic crack of the standard factory ammo is greatly exaggerated. And unlike others have suggested, my hearing is not bad. In fact I had it checked and it was normal. But, I've learned not to use the suppressor on an indoors range as the blast bounces off the concrete floor and walls and is magnified to unsafe hearing levels. I don't use my suppressor on indoor ranges.

All of that said, I purchased my pistol suppressor (Silencerco Osprey) with the same idea of using it on all of my pistols. However, after using it once on an outdoor range on my Glock 17 I found the suppressor to be uncomfortable to shoot without earplugs or ear muffs. For that reason alone I rarely ever shoot with it. I will get rid of it when I can find a buyer. It's very strange that a rifle suppressor shooting .308 and 5.56 ammo is much quieter than shooting a pistol suppressor shooting 9mm ammo. One of the main reasons I was interested in getting a rifle and pistol suppressor was to be able to shoot my firearms without having to wear earmuffs or earplugs. My pistol suppressor fails miserably. That's why I never shoot it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 6:41:03 PM EDT
[#37]
I shoot mine basically 100% suppressed, except for my carry gun with is a Glock 43, not threaded or really practical suppressed! Lol
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 7:39:51 PM EDT
[#38]
You may enjoy it. Everyone has different taste. Even if you don't enjoy shooting your pistol suppressed, you can always suppress the subgun you'll end up buying
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 7:42:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Ti-rants and Sigs
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 8:09:56 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm really not sure yet, I went all out on suppressors pre 41f buying an Omega, Hybrid, Spectre II, Obsidian and Omega 9k in that order. So far I have the Omega and Hybrid. I've tried the hybrid on my G17 and it's fun but it's a huge can for a pistol and I didn't buy it for a pistol can I just wanted to mess with and knew I could use the 9k with the piston I bought. I got the omega and hybrid to bounce between a few rifles, the spectre for a couple of 22 pistols and rifles, the obsidian for my pistols, and the 9k to dedicate to my scorpion. I'm already considering dedicating the 9k to a 300blk PDW type build and putting the obsidian on the CZ unless I really want to shoot a pistol with a can. As mentioned before I just don't see myself carrying a pistol around with a can in 99 out of a 100 circumstances.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 1:31:21 PM EDT
[#41]
My old G17/AAC Evo 9 with subsonic ammo is my most favorite suppressed toy I have.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 1:40:14 AM EDT
[#42]
I don't think I'd shoot pistol cans as often if I didn't have a tumbler drum full of stainless pins reserved for baffle cleaning and an ultrasonic cleaner handy.

But I do, so I do.    The can isn't hard to clean and the pistol doesn't seem to get much dirtier than normal.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 6:30:57 AM EDT
[#43]
When I go out back to plink, hangun is always suppressed (NOT my carry gun).    Come to think of it, my carry gun isn't threaded, not sure how I would shoot it suppressed LOL

For myself, shooting a pistol suppressed with subs with a decent can beats shooting an AR suppressed with sonic rounds.   That's the nice thing about the .45ACP, it's subsonic to begin with.

That said, I don't get a lot of blowback on my pistol cans.  If I did, that would most likely affect my opinion.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 10:30:16 AM EDT
[#44]
I shoot my handguns suppressed more than any of my rifles. Granted I do not have a PCC, but my carry gun is never with a can. But shooting 5.56 or 308 suppressed plinking rabbits on the weekend is still loud as hell. 45 or 147gr 9mm? Way quieter. So until I get me a PCC(and I'm planning on it) I'm gonna be content with my suppressed pistols.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 7:40:06 PM EDT
[#45]
suppressed pistols are fun, but i think the subgun shooting subs is the best

Link Posted: 10/1/2016 7:54:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
suppressed handguns are stupid.

except .22 handguns.
View Quote

I use the hell out of my center fire rifle cans and my .22 can.  My giant .45 can is sort of silly and almost never gets used.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 10:24:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Post heart surgery I've found that I can shoot my 45's comfortably with a can but are still a bit much without a can.  I don't know if it's the extra weight keeping the muzzle flip and recoil lower or the inherent recoil reduction of a suppressor.  We are talking the same pistol, with or without a can.  I can shoot 9mm no problem.

Because of this I have been shooting my pistol cans a lot more this year.  For the record I'm a bit over seven months since surgery and am still getting my upper body strength back.

I guess I'm putting this out for general info.  If you are working with someone with lower upper body strength and is recoil sensitive a pistol suppressor can be an advantage.  In working my way back up I started with 22lr, went to 9mm suppressed, then 9mm without a can and 45 suppressed.  It's been an odd experience for me as I was never really recoil sensitive before, but after surgery I have to be careful about too much shock for a while.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 10:05:10 AM EDT
[#48]
My Osprey 45 just sits in my safe... I should have spent the $800 on a second rifle can or another firearm.  I have an Omega 9k just about ready but that's for my MPX and will ride on their full time
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 11:35:57 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
My Osprey 45 just sits in my safe... I should have spent the $800 on a second rifle can or another firearm.  I have an Omega 9k just about ready but that's for my MPX and will ride on their full time
View Quote

Lol, as others have suggested, you have to spend your way out of the hole. I'd get a Ruger 77/44 to use it on.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 5:35:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Aside from 22 pistols....correct.  Not much 9 or 45 pistol shooting suppressed for me.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top