Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/27/2016 9:45:30 PM EDT
Didn't find much on it other than a youtube video. Anyone have a Burn Proof Gear wrap? Looks like it should work just fine on 10.5" barrels. I melted a wrap today but it's getting replaced by the manufacturer.

Edit: Pics on page 2
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:48:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Buddy of mine just got one. I will hale him
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:59:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Mine is scheduled to arrive tomorrow and i'll be taking it to the range right away (literally, mailbox to range). I'll post back here with a review of it. Service has been pretty good so far. He was very responsive on first inquiry regarding sizing. I ordered the 6.5" wrap for an Omega Trek-T with flat cap (OAL ~6.75"). It was that or go up to 7" or pay for a custom size. He said he has made 6.5" for Omegas and the fit great. Placed order on 9/5/16 and it shipped USPS Priority on 9/26/16. We'll see tomorrow. I'll run it through a couple mags of rapid fire to see how it holds up.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:27:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Did you get the moderate or heavy?
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:14:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I destroyed a "full auto rated" suppressor cover earlier this year. Lit the sucker on fire while it was still on the can. I have my doubts.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:32:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I destroyed a "full auto rated" suppressor cover earlier this year. Lit the sucker on fire while it was still on the can. I have my doubts.
View Quote

What's a good one? I own a Manta and posted a few videos in another suppressor cover thread, but was told by one poster that he melted his. This contradicts what I've read and seen in other places, and the review on the old Sniper's Hide was positive.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:35:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I have seen the manta covers but they add size and look goofy to me.
I was using a Rifles Only HAD Cover.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 12:10:06 AM EDT
[#7]
I've been using Armageddon Gear covers on my G-5 and Specwar 7.62 and they've been doing fine for me.

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 12:31:35 AM EDT
[#8]
I'll probably order a Burn Proof Gear one this week. Looks like it'll hold up to 10.5" barrels and sustained strings of fire.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 12:43:08 AM EDT
[#9]
What's up with the bowers cover?  I like the looks and the fact that you can get it in FDE. Some reviews say it's great and indestructible but some say it's not good.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 12:46:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What's up with the bowers cover?  I like the looks and the fact that you can get it in FDE. Some reviews say it's great and indestructible but some say it's not good.
View Quote

I really liked the look of them and I liked the fact that they do a great job of making it so I can grab the hot suppressor for removal.

They slide all over the place like crazy under recoil, though, which I don't like.  I have a couple but don't use them anymore due to the sliding around.  I would shoot a string and the cover would be two inches past the end of the can.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 1:32:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I really liked the look of them and I liked the fact that they do a great job of making it so I can grab the hot suppressor for removal.

They slide all over the place like crazy under recoil, though, which I don't like.  I have a couple but don't use them anymore due to the sliding around.  I would shoot a string and the cover would be two inches past the end of the can.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't happen to have  7(or longer) inch by 1.75 in FDE do you? Maybe I'll buy it off of you....
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 8:06:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have seen the manta covers but they add size and look goofy to me.
I was using a Rifles Only HAD Cover.
View Quote

Yes, the Manta is an odd-looking thing, but if it works I'll use it. I just got my stamp back a few weeks ago and haven't gotten to the range yet. I own and occasionally enjoy using a bump-fire stock, so my can will be getting very hot at times. My buddy who got me into suppressors just camo-paints his can, and uses a welder's glove to remove it at the range.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 9:15:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Don't happen to have  7(or longer) inch by 1.75 in FDE do you? Maybe I'll buy it off of you....
View Quote

Black...  
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 2:59:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Just got the wrap in. The one day USPS is 1.5hrs behind on delivery... Was not able to make it to the range but I will take it Friday. In the meantime here are a couple photos.

Not long enough to fully wrap around the rear of the can like I've seen some photos of the BPG wraps but I expected that ordering the 6.5", besides I don't think it would slide over the knurling of the ASR mount anyways without snagging the material on it so it gets a thumbs up on OAL fitment. However, it does feel a little loose on the retention. The bungee (I think they are kevlar bungee) doesn't seem to have much elasticity, very thin. The only real thing that I can see keeping it from sliding forward is it has an inner bungee on the very end of the wrap that just happens to "sit" inside the small ridge between knurled locking ring of the ASR and the base of the can body.

We'll see if it stays in place and holds up to some rapid fire on Friday.

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 5:49:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the update. Looks like I'll be ordering the 7" version for my SiCo Omega. I don't mind it completely covering the can. I browsed their FB photos and yeah the wrap doesn't seem to be super snug. But that's not the point I guess.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 11:26:51 PM EDT
[#16]
If you end up ordering the 7", I'd be interested in seeing/hearing how it fits on the Omega. I tried to slide this one back but that knurling on the ASR really grabs hold of the fabric of the wrap, not sure if I'd want to be dragging it across that knurling too often. Hopefully I'll have a range report this Monday for you.  If all goes well i'll likely order another one for my Trek-T but that would need a 5.5" and the back of the can is tucked 1/8" under a rail so there would be no way to wrap it for retention. So waiting to see how well this one stays put on the Omega with just the "hug strength" of the bungee.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 11:32:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Black...  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Black...  

Do'h!
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 9:45:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If you end up ordering the 7", I'd be interested in seeing/hearing how it fits on the Omega. I tried to slide this one back but that knurling on the ASR really grabs hold of the fabric of the wrap, not sure if I'd want to be dragging it across that knurling too often. Hopefully I'll have a range report this Monday for you.  If all goes well i'll likely order another one for my Trek-T but that would need a 5.5" and the back of the can is tucked 1/8" under a rail so there would be no way to wrap it for retention. So waiting to see how well this one stays put on the Omega with just the "hug strength" of the bungee.
View Quote

Just placed an order for the 7" FDE. I made a note stating that I wanted the wrap to completely cover the can. Hopefully it doesn't take weeks to make and ship. I do need it before the first weekend of November.
I'll update this thread once it comes in.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 1:33:37 PM EDT
[#19]
For suppressor covers there is Rifles Only HAD and then everything else.....
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 1:51:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
For suppressor covers there is Rifles Only HAD and then everything else.....
View Quote

I'm well aware of the HAD. That's next on the list if the BPG wrap doesn't cut the mustard. What sold me on the BPG is that it's very light. I'm not looking for something I can grab and go oh look, my hand isn't burning. I just want something to cover the can so it doesn't fry my leg or other body parts with accidental contact that WON'T melt. I'm also trying to cut weight where I can. I don't lift (bro).
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 4:05:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Bowers supcov /thread
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 4:45:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Bowers supcov /thread
View Quote

I heard they slide forward. No first hand experience.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 5:21:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Bowers supcov /thread
View Quote

Like I said earlier I was about to order one.  Some say they are great some say it so much. Now I guess they can move under recoil.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 7:33:42 PM EDT
[#24]
I also looked at the Bowers and the HAD covers before going with BPG. Heard the same thing about the bowers sliding forward. The HAD just seemed to have too much going on, heavier, and more bulky. Went with the BPG for the same reasons as 021411. Wanted something light and slim, primary purpose(s) for me was to cut down the mirage and prevent scorching my legs when the rifle is hanging from the sling during pistol transitions. While I am going to "torture test" this thing up to the limits they advertise. In any realistic scenario (where I'm not just being a jackass and repeatedly dumping mags) I highly doubt melting it will be an issue if the BPG claims are accurate. With that being said, the tradeoff for lighter weight and slimmer profile for me was a no brainer considering the BPG "should" be more than suitable for my intended purpose. Don't need a to use a dump truck to move a bucket of sand. Minimal tool for the job. Then again, come monday if that thing catches on fire or melts to my can I'll be ordering a HAD cover lol.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 7:50:07 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm guessing BPG makes the wrap as they are ordered. If so I guess I won't see it for a few weeks.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 7:56:25 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Same problem with mine. It travels rearward by about 1 inch per 100 rounds. If it didn't slide rearward it would be perfect.

Looking for something else now

Link Posted: 9/30/2016 11:04:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Same problem with mine. It travels rearward by about 1 inch per 100 rounds. If it didn't slide rearward it would be perfect.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok so it's not a fluke. That sucks. I love how small and light it is. The manta or whatever it's called looks terrible.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 9:01:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Still trying to understand why keeping all that heat in a suppressor is better than using a glove to take it off.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 10:06:44 AM EDT
[#29]
My Bowers cover doesn't move at all.  You literally can't take it off by hand, you have to use water per the directions first and then it slides off with effort.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 11:18:06 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Still trying to understand why keeping all that heat in a suppressor is better than using a glove to take it off.
View Quote
I actually plan on sliding it off the can between strings at the range, for that very reason, to allow the can to cool off when on the bench. I rarely remove the can from the host so using it for that isnt a factor for me. Mostly it's to cut down on mirage and primarily to prevent accidentally melting my trousers (particularly knees) when transitioning to pistol after a string of fire on the move.

Link Posted: 10/1/2016 12:55:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Burn your legs and gear a couple of times during transition drills.

Or at least that's what I hear.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 2:21:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

For me it's more for safety reasons. For some it's safety and to cut down mirage. After a session I do remove the wrap and let the can cool down enough where I can handle it and where it won't melt my bag.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 8:43:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
My Bowers cover doesn't move at all.  You literally can't take it off by hand, you have to use water per the directions first and then it slides off with effort.
View Quote

My Manta comes with a bottle of Manta lube, which is just hand sanitizer. It helps to install or remove the sleeve, as it's almost impossible to do without it.

Edit: The test conducted by a guy on the old Sniper's Hide showed that the channels in the Manta(and possibly the Bowers) helped with cooling through convection.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 3:01:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Alright, here is the range report from the BPG cover on a SiCo Omega with 11.5 barrel.

I did one mag "dump", controlled, but consistent rate of fire. By the time it was done you could see some steam coming out of the wrap but there was no mirage or heat waves in the site picture. The wrap was very hot to the touch, I was still able to grab it, but I wouldn't want to clamp down and hold onto it for longer than necessary. Mag change with about 2 minutes in between strings (touching wrap, talking to range buddy about it) then another controlled rate of fire "mag dump". So 60 rounds consistent fire over about 5 minutes and that thing was scorching hot. Good news, I was still BARELY able to handle it with the wrap to remove the can, in doing so by the time I got it off the barrel to sit it on the bench (mount side down) the heat through the wrap was almost too much to hold bare handed but still manageable. I held the ASR mount with a glove and pulled the wrap off the can and it was STEAMING like mad, RSO came over to see what the smell was. the can was SMOKING hot. (I wish I took my temp gun with me). Observatory only I would say it smoked more than it normally does after the same rate of fire. This wrap does a good job of mitigating the heat and mirage but really holds the heat in. Here is the inside of the wrap after my version of a "torture test" (I wasn't going to completely get retarded considering these are paid items and not demos). you can see some discoloring but the material and threads all seem to be in perfect functional shape. Even the feel of the material is the same as before, I expected it to feel burnt based on the color but it's just as soft and pliable as when I got it.

Long and short, the wrap held up to 60 rounds of fire in 5 minutes. I would NOT leave the wrap on the can after any sustained fire (for sake of the can), even one mag I would want it to "breathe". But for it's intended purpose (safety so as not to burn my legs and also mirage issues) it did the job just fine.

I'm thinking I am going to try one of the MAD wraps for my Trek since it looks like the inner sleeve on those has channels that may help mitigate some of the heat entrapment (should be common sense but I'm slow) think of this thing as wrapping yourself in a woolly pully at the beach on a hot summer day.

Link Posted: 10/3/2016 7:36:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Thanks for the update on the BPG wrap. Can't wait to get mine in. Speaking of I need to shoot them an email to see how long it's going to take.

Edited to add: they got back with me. He's catching up on orders and mine should be out their door some time next week.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 7:28:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Finally got my Burn Proof Gear "Moderate" suppressor wrap in. I chose the 7" FDE version for my SiCo Omega with the flat cap. It also fits fine on a Specwar 556.

Initial thoughts.. It looks like the wrap tension is pre-set from manufacturing. There is no cinch cord. It seems pretty snug around both cans. I'll see how it behaves once heat is introduced.
Weight is 2.1 oz on my scale. For grins a 6" Cole-Tac HTP is 3.8 oz on my scale.  

Pics

On the Omega with it over the ASR lock ring.

On the Omega with the wrap sitting on the notch in front of the ring.

Foreskin

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 5:43:31 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Finally got my Burn Proof Gear "Moderate" suppressor wrap in. I chose the 7" FDE version for my SiCo Omega with the flat cap. It also fits fine on a Specwar 556.

Initial thoughts.. It looks like the wrap tension is pre-set from manufacturing. There is no cinch cord. It seems pretty snug around both cans. I'll see how it behaves once heat is introduced.
Weight is 2.1 oz on my scale. For grins a 6" Cole-Tac HTP is 3.8 oz on my scale.  

Pics

On the Omega with it over the ASR lock ring.
http://i.imgur.com/QqytA3Q.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/FDgUQlB.jpg

On the Omega with the wrap sitting on the notch in front of the ring.
http://i.imgur.com/cGOobjV.jpg

Foreskin
http://i.imgur.com/nsV9O6Z.jpg
View Quote

My bet it will catch fire with any kind of sustained fire. It looks like the outer sleave only of the HAD.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 8:39:28 AM EDT
[#38]
I've never owned a HAD so I don't know how the material is. The BPG material reminds me of bunker gear fabric. Maybe on the thinner side. I'm going to put it through the ringer this weekend. I'll update. If it holds up, i.e. Not melt, I'll be happy.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 9:30:35 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bowers supcov /thread

I have one on my Bowers CAC9 for my MAC-10.    No movement under full auto fire and provides a much needed hand hold.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 11:21:52 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I've never owned a HAD so I don't know how the material is. The BPG material reminds me of bunker gear fabric. Maybe on the thinner side. I'm going to put it through the ringer this weekend. I'll update. If it holds up, i.e. Not melt, I'll be happy.
View Quote

Lets us know your findings.

My HAD cover heats up but never gets to hot to handle. I dont do any full auto though.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 12:02:54 PM EDT
[#41]
I accept the fact that the wrap will probably get hot to the point I won't be able to hold it. It's more of a personal safety item for me when I have to transition to the handgun. Don't want to burn my leg and/or pants during the process. If I need to remove the can I'll bust out the ove glove.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 9:51:21 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

My HAD cover heats up but never gets to hot to handle. I dont do any full auto though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My HAD got absolutely destroyed on my 12.5 with Saker K.
Caught on fire after 4 non semi auto dumps. Also, could not get it to tighten effectively at all.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:50:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Caught on fire after 4 non semi auto dumps. Also, could not get it to tighten effectively at all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with it is hard to get tight enough to not move around. I dont think any of these covers are made for auto dumps.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:05:23 PM EDT
[#44]
The BPG wrap is unique that it uses much thinner cordage. The end of the wrap plus the thin elastic cord gets right into the nook of the can's mount when it gets cinched down. This puppy isn't sliding forward unless the cord melts from inside the wrap and loses its tension. I'll post a picture later of what I'm talking about.
FWIW, the BPG wraps are full auto rated. The moderate wrap which I have is good for 1000deg and rated at 100+ rounds of full auto 556. The heavy wrap which is twice the thickness is rated 200+ rounds of full auto 556 and 2000deg temps.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 1:34:23 PM EDT
[#45]
As mentioned in the above reply, this puppy isn't going anywhere.

Here you can see the end of the wrap in the channel of the ASR mount with the flame retardant elastic cord cinched down.

Here is is over the lock ring and cinched down. There's no way for the wrap to make that large hurdle and come off.

The wrap loosened with elastic cord visible. Only time will tell how well it holds up. The wrap itself is rated to 1000 degF. Not sure on the cord..

Link Posted: 10/29/2016 4:13:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Update 10-29-16

Went to the range and did some quick shooting. I put about 110 rounds worth through the suppressor with the BPG wrap. I did double taps and other continual drills that would have melted the Cole-Tac HTP. The BPG wrap held up fine. The elastic cord did fine as well. So far I'm impressed with it. The wrap did get super hot to hold but didn't burn my leg during transitioning. I did feel the can bump my leg a few times. I was in shorts. No safety issues.   BPG said the wrap is machine washable. Time to test that out.
The true test will be next week at a 3 day carbine course.

Edited to add: the Kevlar bungee cord can withstand a 2000 degF torch for 30 seconds.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 5:23:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Update 10-29-16

Went to the range and did some quick shooting. I put about 110 rounds worth through the suppressor with the BPG wrap. I did double taps and other continual drills that would have melted the Cole-Tac HTP. The BPG wrap held up fine. The elastic cord did fine as well. So far I'm impressed with it. The wrap did get super hot to hold but didn't burn my leg during transitioning. I did feel the can bump my leg a few times. I was in shorts. No safety issues.   BPG said the wrap is machine washable. Time to test that out.
The true test will be next week at a 3 day carbine course.
View Quote

Cool!

It's much better looking than my big, goofy Manta sleeve/Fleshlight.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 9:37:39 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 9:56:00 AM EDT
[#49]
I actually ordered a second one for my Trek-T when he sent out the current customer discount email. My only concern is the trek is smoother and it's semi tucked under a rail. I ordered the 5" wrap as 1/4" of the can is under the rail so I don't get that rear wrap to hold it in place so I'm going to rely only on friction to keep it from sliding. That's an issue with my setup, not the wrap. Haven't shot it yet so I'll update on how well it stays in place without the "edge wrap"
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 11:05:58 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

I used to have a set of Nomex gloves that worked well for this.  I have no idea where they went.  I now use one of those silicone oven mitts.  You should really have two of those mitts.

I think people may want a cover to help with mirage, but I shoot in one of the hotter climates and haven't had any problem ringing the bell with a hot can on the hottest day.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top